• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW040: The Fiercely Fought Don Battle! Tsutarja VS Komatana!!

In regards to Emonga's disobidience (or lack, therefore), it seems to me that Emonga only battles when her interest is piqued or if she isn't afraid of her opponent.

Besides, Emonga is still disobidient in the Victini movie (which we know is set after this, due to Spring Shikijika appearing in the last episode and Summer Shikijika appearing in the movie), as she uses Volt Switch against Enbuoh in the opening credits, forcing a chance in Pokemon and getting Iris disqualified from the tournament.

I don't know, I wish this tournament had longer battles. This 1 v 1 stuff is kinda, eh overall. Yeah we get character interactions, but I dunno. I guess it just feels underwhelming overall.

I really really, hope they explain why Emonga is obeying now. Bribery, threatening something hopefully, she cannot being obeying for no reason. That would just be annoying as heck.

* All in all an entertaining episode, but... yeah, I give up on this tournament. AND NOT WORTH WAKING UP AT 6 AM FOR. just sayin'

Basically my thoughts on this XD *YAAAAWWWN*

And...really people, I think it's a bit too early to gauge Emonga's obedience levels...

It was against a Watchog.

Commanded by a a guy...in a Watchog suit.

Surely this girl has some SELF RESPECT, no?

The writers really dropped the ball with the Dento/Ash/Trip stuff. It could have been enhanced, but instead we just get a "gg". Meh

The writers really dropped the ball with the Dento/Ash/Trip stuff. It could have been enhanced, but instead we just get a "gg". Meh

You know, now that I think about it, it really would have been pretty hard to do ANYTHING since the battle was 1 vs. 1. The victory wouldn't have been that significant anyways, so I guess the "gg" response was a given. But I am quite curious at what Dento said during his tasting time...kinda upset that Shooti didn't react to THIS much either...There wasn't much back and forth interaction between the two like there was with Brandon an Paul (since comparisons were made to this battle...I can't say this is a fitting comparison any more though...).

EHHHHH =_=;

Regarding Emonga's willingness to battle, it's not really a surprise that its willing to battle when it thinks it has a good chance of winning. It seems a bit like Miju used to be. Just like it's saying "woah, I don't want to fight THAT!"

I don't know, overall this tournament just seemed designed so we can see Ash, and Iris first real battle. That's really about it. Trip, and Ash developed nothing in this tournament. Their interactions are just as boring as always.

Some of the interactions were amusing though like Burgundy, Bianca, and Langley. I'm surprised how much time they spent on other stuff, rather than battling.

Regarding Emonga's willingness to battle, it's not really a surprise that its willing to battle when it thinks it has a good chance of winning. It seems a bit like Miju used to be. Just like it's saying "woah, I don't want to fight THAT!"

Well, that makes sense. With Emonga's current "disobeying" in the movie, I hope she will get much more attention.

So Watchog Guy had a Watchog? Didn't see that coming. I assume he kidnaps Iris off-screen and disguises himself as her to take her place.

I wonder why this episode was simply called "Fierce Fighting Don Battle! Snivy VS Pawniard!" and not "Round 2! Gurdurr VS Dwebble! Snivy VS Pawniard!" because I really didn't get a special wibe when Snivy VS Pawniard was on... the Gurdurr VS Dwebble battle was alot better and was more the main battle in the episode :b

"Fierce Fighting Don Battle"? Can't you guys get someone who knows English to translate these titles?

Dwebble and Gurdurr's battle was indeed the main highlight of this episode. I will not deny that much. What I love about the execution of this battle is that it could have went either way. Gurdurr was not as weak an opponent that Dwebble could have easily defeated it. Dwebble was able to avoid the bulk of Gurdurr's attacks, and Gurdurr was also able to fight back as well. I assumed there was going to be a struggle for Cilan to triumph over Trip. Again, this battle could have went either way.

Believe me, the writers really had to pull out the stops for Dwebble, such as giving it a brand new move so it can battle against and defeat the semi-evolved pokemon. I always felt that Dwebble was Cilan's most powerful pokemon. It is already gifted with a powerful defense (which Gurdurr almost broke by breaking Dwebble's shell), and furthermore was able to compensate that large defensive power for a high-speed offensive. I do not know if Pansage would have been able to defeat Gurdurr in this respect. Pansage has a lot of speed and a mild amount of attacking power, but it does not have the defense that Dwebble had that allowed it to endure Gurdurr's powerful punch-type attacks.

Langley and Bianca had their small interaction with Zorua in the mix. You couldn't help but feel sorry for Bianca when she is giving her all but getting nothing in return.

Bianca and Kenyan's match was also entertaining. Minccino literally went in for a Tickle attack and Hyper Voice in the beginning. Unfortunately for Bianca and her Minccino, Kenyan had access to a bigger and more powerful pokemon.

Luke's Golett won its battle with a mere Shadow Punch to Darmanitan's gut.

Emolga suddenly obeying Iris's commands and using her moves in battle. What?! I would have figured that Axew or Excadrill could have been the one used in the battle. Off-screen interactions and character resolutions are meh. Yoshithiko sending out a Watchog was "unexpected."

Trip and Ash had a small interaction in the pokemon center that evening. Wait... What is this?! Did Trip just take Gary's signature "goodbye while walking away" pose?! Damn you, Trip!

I love how Zorua comes in the middle of the feast to screw with everybody. Bianca and Iris are fighting over her Axew, not knowing that Zorua has already transformed back to her original form.

Ash and Langley's battle takes place in the second round on the next day. Pawniard completely overwhelms Snivy's grass-type attacks using its Metal Claw. It also turns out that Pawniard is female as well, making Snivy's Attract null and void. Snivy was able to get a lucky break and chucked a giant rock onto Pawniard's head blade, stopping the pokemon in its tracks. Pawniard rushes in and forces Snivy to attack the boulder with her Leaf Blade. Oh, it looks like the resolution of Ash VS Langley will take place next week. Bummer.

I don't know, overall this tournament just seemed designed so we can see Ash, and Iris first real battle. That's really about it. Trip, and Ash developed nothing in this tournament. Their interactions are just as boring as always.

Some of the interactions were amusing though like Burgundy, Bianca, and Langley. I'm surprised how much time they spent on other stuff, rather than battling.

Let me just say this. It is impossible for the writers to fully develop a single relationship since they have to split up the screentime for nine separate characters (and Zorua). Trip's relationship with Ash is not a mutual or competitive one, which is why some people are annoyed here. Trip is simply here to test his limits in battle against powerful opponents, and it turns out that the writers still want to keep the character under further wraps by having him lose this battle.

The writers were generous enough by having Ash and Trip interact with each other in the Pokemon Center after the first round matches were over.

This tournament could have been written differently, such as Trip actually advancing to the top 4 instead of one of those COTDs. I believe that this story arc was created so we can properly get introduced to Kenyan, Burgundy and Langley, who at a time, merely existed as stock rivals for Ash and his companions. It was not meant to spruce up one specific rivalry. Again, BW is being handled completely different from DP.

Last edited:
No Watchhog guy? I am Disappoint :(
Other than that I loved the comedy in this episode, Zorua is a little troll and the best part, seeing Trip lose XDD

My favorite part is the battle between Dento and Shooti, I actually love ishizumai, it's so cool and cute. I'm happy that it learns new move, ishizumai is little but it sure is strong.

Alright I'm glad that Cilan finally defeated that douchebag Trip, but it did nothing for his rivalry with Ash. He just left cause "he doesn't care". Damn I'm so sick of Trip....And he even took Gary's walk away and wave thing! WTF!? And where the hell was Watchog Suit Guy!!!! I was looking forward to seeing him interact with Iris yet it never happened!

Cilan is now my new favorite anime character. Kicked Trip's a** while at a type disadventage. Breaking through his plot armor alone was epic, but that just made my day to see the 'boring invincible rivial' getting taken down before the League for once.

Now if only the writers could follow on this and let Ash win a battle against him before the League... With the way this series is going, I can actually for once see that being possible...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom