• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW041: Climactic Don Battle! Emonga VS Dageki!!

Lol @ Snivy whipping Burgundy

Cilan probably would've won if he didn't talk the whole time :( But I can't hate on him for that, since he did it with style. I still love the guy regardless. Also, I didn't know Larvesta could fly (or float I guess?); I thought it could only fly once it evolved.

I wish you could punch the crap out of Attract like Sawk did in-game. I hate that move, unless I'm the one using it XD. But anyways, I thought the episode was good. They did talk too much in it though. Dean is definitely gonna get wiped out since he's using Darumaka against Palpitoad.

Righto, let's see how it happens.

Leaf Blade stops Metal Claw from connecting and Leaf Storm is enough to finish the job.

Ash picks Snivy up. Aww. And she's smiling. Double aww!

Dare I ask why Cilan is being all fabulous this time? 'Cause I don't think I shou--oh. Oh my. I gotta get some popcorn, this just keeps getting better and better. Kenyan can't catch a break, can he?

Speaking of getting better and better, what's shakin', Langley? Not taking the loss too well? Thought so. But Iris taking a potshot at you oughta take your mind off it.

Snivy's being all happy and not so cold! It's nice, it's really nice. Then suddenly, drama! With a tear-stained hanky to boot! But the threat of Snivy's vines is enough to send Burgundy running. Wait, that sounds a bit wrong...

Luke is filming Langley. Something crazy's going to happen, I just know it. Said something crazy involves Bianca getting Zorua as Langley confused with the real Langley. Wow, so many scenes to take out of context...that's the dream!

Moving on, has Pikachu got the best sad face or what?

Oh yeah, the next battle. Easy on the pointer finger there, Cilan. I do love Burgundy's 'could you be any more up yourself?' face. This region has got the best facial expressions by far.

Ash has got ahold of Luke's no-doubt expensive camera? That doesn't seem wise. And now he's using Pikachu as an impromptu table. He still ain't that bright. Poor little rat...

Yikes! The colours in Cilan's sparkle scenes are almost enough to make your retinas bleed! Not to mention it just seems...wasted on a turd-coloured dopey-looking thing, you know? Okay, okay. I guess Stunfisk is kinda cute. But only kinda. Alright, ya got me. When drawn right... A-Anyway, love how Langley doesn't seem to get all the fabulousness schtick.

Scald appears to be a mere inconvenience to Larvesta. I don't wanna know where Luke was keeping that clapperboard. Now then, String Shot. Pfft, mummified Stunfisk!

I take it that move is Heat Wave, yes? Whatcha gonna do, Cilan?

Bianca, leave Langley alone! And leave Axew alone, too! Ah, hell. Just forget about Zorua and move on with your life! On another note, I bet that when Luke gets his camera back, it'll have missed like half the battle from Ash's lack of camera skills.

...That fabulous moment. Oh my gawd... You know, how long do you think it'll be before we have enough sparkly Cilan moments to fill up an entire episode?

Commence the trolling with boiling-hot water! Larvesta...surrounds itself with String Shot. Okay, I have no idea where Luke is going with this. Now I get it. Weirdest. Defensive manoeuver. Ever. Or one of them, at the very least.

I've never seen Cilan look so dumbfounded, right before Stunfisk gets crispified. And now he looks sorta sheepish. Aww... Burgundy, on the other hand, loves this loss so much she'd probably run away with it.

Thank god you have Pikachu around, Ash. You're not to be trusted with technology!

Kenyan sure is raring to go. And the announcer stuffs up his name. Ouch.

Broken hearts... Ah, such wonderous imagery! Emolga's expressions are good, too. Not so much with all the waxing and waning of Sawk's training. Neither is Bulk Up here. *shudders*

Settle down on the excitement there, Ash! Meanwhile, how does Iris get out of this one? Oh, paralysis. That's how.

IT'S REVIWING TIME! You know the drill... good points... bad points...

Good Points

+ Dento: Some say too much Dento; I say...

tumblr_lh2y7dTB191qz4u07o1_400.gif

I don't care if they went overboard with it, it made me lol. I loled when he fanboyed about Satoshi winning over Langley by dancing disco that would have made Travolta jelly. I also liked the bit about Pokémon food and how much he talks about tastes during the battles, since that relates to sommeliering. Still wish he had been a bit more ruthless and arrogant with Luke. I lol'd when he used a peace sign in front of his eyes... that was so Sailor Moon. XD

+ Tsutarja: I'm not gonna lie, that pokémon had lost a lot of its appeal ever since it had its personality siphoned by Emonga, but that just goes to show that once you seperate the two, Tsutarja become infinitely more interesting. Liked how it kept smiling and how it Vine Whipped the hell out of Cabernet.

+ Cabernet: She made me lol with hwo she reacted to everything. From Tsutarja's food to Dento losing. She was lulzy. Her interactions were great with Tsutarja, Langley and Dento.

+ Langley: Loved her interactions with Bel and Cabernet. She was funny for the most part except on one occasion I'll discuss later, but the character on its own was great.

+ Luke: Oooh Luke's personality finally arrived to Raimon Town! I like that the writers gave him some catchphrases that were movie related and some quirks, but also showed him being nervous before the battle and ressourceful during.

+ Art and Animation: This episode was gorgeous, but I also liked the imagination with which the writers and animators showcased the pokémon themselves. From Merlarva's and Maggyo's flights of fancy to Guillotine and Leaf Blade... Wow on the animation. Also...

180px-Sawk_Bulk_Up.png

THE RULE 34 FLOODGATES HAVE BEEN OPENED!​

Lukewarm Points

+ Bel: I can't help it, she makes me smile. :D I liked when she was interacting with Langley and that she was a bit more ninja in getting Zorua, but the gag itself got old weeks ago.

+ Satoshi: It's surprising because every week I do a review like this and Satoshi almost never finds a spot in it because... well... he's kinda just there, almost a non-factor in a show that's supposed to be about him. I liked that this week, he got the camera gag and that he was seen bonding with Tsutarja. I thought those were two great character moments. But yeah... writers... stop letting Satoshi's personality, storylines and charm be swallowed in the black hole that is Iris.

+ Shipping: Yay for Bel/Langley and Don/other commentator scenes, but damn... DENTO STOP FLIRTING WITH LUKE AND GO CONSOLE ANTONIO ; _____ ;

Bad Points:

- Iris: Her schtick with Langley got old halfway through their intro ep, and this episode didn't help matters in the least. Plus, everything magically working out for her without struggle or previous effort. She was just plain boring and useless in this episode.

- Kenyan: When Luke is more memorable than you, you've got a problem. He was blah in this episode, the name gag is old... go, just go...

- Emonga: Who is this Emonga and what have they done with Iris'? Really, Emonga who didn't want to battle for Iris, who didn't care if her trainer lost, who didn't like getting attacked all of a sudden listens perfectly and takes out a powerfull pokémon with 2 attacks just cause... I find it funny that just not a few weeks ago, I read people making the argument that Emonga disobeying Iris was a proof of her lack of confidence and meant a deep storyline in store... But the writers proved once more that depth =/= Iris and that storylines, personalities and characterization aren't important when it comes to giving Iris stuff she didn't earn. The battle itself was actually the low point of the episode because there was no strategy. Static being activated didn't bother me, I thought it was fair game but damn, that battle was lazy writing. All power, no subtlety, no creativity, no nothing.

- Antonio losing: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

WhyWouldYouDoThat.gif

LOL that spells IKEA​

- Zorua: Old running gag is old... Also, can it talk on its own now?

- Dialogue/Battles ratio: I'll say yes and no. Some of it was justified, and are listed in my good points, but Iris/Langley part 14 214 was unecessary, Bel/Zorua should have been reduced and some of cutting to the peanut gallery during battles should have been cut.

Overall, I liked the episode, but weirdly not for the stuff the writers focused on (Iris, Kenyan, Zorua, Emonga v Dageki) but more for the spice that everyone else brought (Read Dento, Cabernet, Langley and Bel... Can the show have a spinoff called Dento's Angels where Cabernet, Langley and Bel fight crime in roller skates? PLEEEEEEEAAAASE?)

112665_o.gif

"Yes Dento, you need me to solve a murder at the disco roller rink downtown... I'M THERE!"

This could be you Bel!

tumblr_ldv18gazsW1qbsjmq.gif

Bel approves : )​

Wait, Iris kept commanding Attract knowing Dageki's defense and sp. defense will fall due the Close Combat?

That's pretty awesome, wow. =D

Yeah, I thought that was awesome too because of the strategy involved. Iris playing to Emonga's strengths (love bubbles and long range attacks) was a great way to counter Daigeki and Kenyan. Pretty awesome smart battling in this ep, but I still don't like how OOC Emonga became. It's like writing a fanfic. >___>

I still loved when Kenyan called Iris/Emonga out for Emonga not having a flying-type move. Foreshadowing?

Yeah, I thought that was awesome too because of the strategy involved. Pretty awesome smart battling in this ep, but I still don't like how OOC Emonga became. It's like writing a fanfic. >___>
I have to agree on that one, I wonder how will writers treat Emonga in the upcoming episodes ... :/

Yes, but only if there is justification for her to be battling in the first place...
which there isn't. oh well.

i guess there can't be both, ever. At least there was strategy involved in the battle?

Yeah, I thought that was awesome too because of the strategy involved. Iris playing to Emonga's strengths (love bubbles and long range attacks) was a great way to counter Daigeki and Kenyan. Pretty awesome smart battling in this ep, but I still don't like how OOC Emonga became. It's like writing a fanfic. >___>

I still loved when Kenyan called Iris/Emonga out for Emonga not having a flying-type move. Foreshadowing?

I have to agree with this. I mean I like how Iris defeated Kenyan but....Emonga battling without a reason....uhhh...

It just feels like the writers themselves are tired of this arc so they just rush through it...

I'm kind of shocked nobody has made a big deal out of Bel clinging on to Langley though. I figured you guys would be all over that one!

That was my favorite part of the episode. Another ship is born. I think we may have another lesbian piaring in the show besides Zoey/Candice. Hopefully Langely/Bel are in more eps together in the future.

This was a good episode, even though Iris' win was a taaad cheap. But oh well.

Maybe Emolga likes Iris now because its been with her for awhile. That's a mechanic from the games so I'm not complaining :p

And I wouldnt say it was cheap at all. Sawk's defense hit rock bottom because he kept using close combat.

Last edited:
BTW, weren't TR supposed to be in this episode? The version I watched I didn't see them at all. Were they shown before the opening?

That was my favorite part of the episode. Another ship is born. I think we may have another lesbian piaring in the show besides Zoey/Candice. Hopefully Langely/Bel are in more eps together in the future.

Bianca is only thinking that Zorua is disguising itself as Langley, but she should have realized that the real Langley has the ability to speak. Bianca went after Iris's Axew for the very same reasons; because Zorua had transformed herself into Axew in the previous episode.

Bianca is too ditzy for her own good. I really do wonder if Bianca will continue to look for Zorua well after this tournament ends.

BTW, weren't TR supposed to be in this episode? The version I watched I didn't see them at all. Were they shown before the opening?

No, a few scenes from the previous episode were featured before the opening.

What did Iris tell Emonga before her battle?
Don't use volt change and switch out, we're going to have fun/the battle is going to be fun (or something), they'll get excited together (something like that)

^ Mostly along those lines. I'm not Japanese, so it's not exact... but the implications are there

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom