• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW049: The Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamitsure Appears!!

Very funny that the only Pokemon of hers that could stand up to the Zebra was the one that she was gonna trade for a random Zorua.
I would like an episode where Pignite stops obeying her (pissed that it's the only one on her team that can DO anything yet isn't respected or cared for as much because it's not cute) and Iris could help her understand it's feelings to make some use of the Dragon Buster Episode. That could be her wake up call to get her issh together.

That's a terrible, terrible idea in my opinion from the results of this episode. It's Satoshi who put his journey on the line for his friend Bel, and so it would be a lot more impactful for Satoshi to be the one who teaches Bel to be more respectful of her friend Charbu.

This wasn't the greatest of episodes. I hope that it will be used to add more depth to the rivalry betwen Satoshi and Bel in the future. Iris doesn't need to be involved with another of Satoshi's rivalries.

So in other words Bianca is supposed to be a loser?

I never understand why they have a rival always be a loser each gen. Back in DP it was Kenny and to a lesser extent Barry, but at least Barry was still a decent battler.

Yet both Kenny and Barry have had on-screen victories against specific opponents. Kenny was able to defeat Dawn's Ambipom in a contest battle with his starter pokemon. Barry was also able to get through several gym battles and tournament fights with just his Empoleon alone.

Bianca won two badges with just her Pignite, so it is not surprising that this particular pokemon was able to dodge certain attacks like Zebstrika's Double Kick whereas the other pokemon couldn't do much of anything. Pignite was simply outmatched in speed and attacking power. Conversely, Minccino and Shelmet appeared to receive absolutely little training whatsoever.

Speaking of Minccino, I find it very odd that Bianca has not commanded the pokemon to use Attract during its short brawl. While it is possible that the move was replaced by Swift, the writers ignoring this possibility could only mean that they wanted Bianca to get the short end of the stick.

This wasn't the greatest of episodes. I hope that it will be used to add more depth to the rivalry betwen Satoshi and Bel in the future. Iris doesn't need to be involved with another of Satoshi's rivalries.

The problem is: The writers are not treating Bianca as Ash's "rival." Ash defended Bianca's status as a pokemon trainer, not as a competing rival who wishes to settle a score, but as a friend. The flashbacks of Bianca joining up with Ash and co. is only further proof that Bianca is meant to be treated as a companion first and as a rival second.

There was absolutely little tension between Ash and Bianca in this episode. Ash didn't care if Bianca wanted to challenge Elesa to a gym battle first. Ash was a little disappointed that two of Bianca's pokemon fell within mere seconds after the battle started.

I was kinda hoping Minccino evolved, but maybe that will happen later.

Its funny because its true, there are no strong female trainers in this show that aren't Gym leaders, Elite's, etc. I wonder why all the female characters must suck at battling in this show. It makes you wonder.

The flashbacks of Bianca joining up with Ash and co. is only further proof that Bianca is meant to be treated as a companion first and as a rival second.

Which doesn't erase the fact that Bel is still a rival, even if they're friends first. Bel has been motivated to obtain more badges upon hearing that Satoshi had three of them back in the Emonga/Tsutarja episode, for example. It's at least one sided.

There was absolutely little tension between Ash and Bianca in this episode. Ash didn't care if Bianca wanted to challenge Elesa to a gym battle first. Ash was a little disappointed that two of Bianca's pokemon fell within mere seconds after the battle started.

Your last sentence, in my opinion, could be a mix of wanting his friend to do well, and disappointment that someone who he saw as a rival might not be up to his standard. That's still a rivalry in my eyes.

Its funny because its true, there are no strong female trainers in this show that aren't Gym leaders, Elite's, etc. I wonder why all the female characters must suck at battling in this show. It makes you wonder.

We won't be wondering in this thread thank you. Please make a new thread if you wish to discuss that, preferably in The Pokémon League sub-forum.

That's a terrible, terrible idea in my opinion from the results of this episode. It's Satoshi who put his journey on the line for his friend Bel, and so it would be a lot more impactful for Satoshi to be the one who teaches Bel to be more respectful of her friend Charbu.

I figure that since he did completely nothing to help Iris regardless of the fact that he had to deal with Charizard (which may or may not be in his current memory ... never know with these series changes) then the chances of him helping this reoccurring character are pretty slim to none in regards to Pokemon not obeying. Plus, Iris is the only one to work through this in BW so far so why not? She and Dent should have something to say if it were to happen.

But anyway I would like her attitude towards Pokemon to be addressed at some point. Its one of the main things that makes her such a scummy, unlikable character (I would say 50-70% of my disdain towards her is rooted in how she sees and treats Pokemon and Pokemon Trainers)

Do not derail this review thread with discussion of Iris' character. Take it somewhere else.

Am I the only one who thinks that Bianca was never meant to be a "serious rival" in the first place? To be frank, I've always seen her as more of a friendly reoccuring character then an actual rival at the same level that Trip is at. Appearing as the token game cameo and nothing else (while the anime uses an almost entirely different set of characters made whole cloth for the show and the show alone).

Yes, the first real female game-based rival in the anime is treated as a ditz without a real spine.

But yeah, now that I think of it, this episode could have been handled much better then it was, which is a shame since the scenario in the game was supposed to be one the most touching and emotional parts in the game, but I guess they had to shoehorn a battle or two so kids won't be bored to death or something.

Um...shouldn't the title be "The Gym Leader is a Charismatic Model!"? I might be wrong though.

Yeah, it a shame Bel was still treated like a joke. In the games her and Iris have a small friendship, so I actually wouldn't mind that coming into to play in show at some point.

Hansamu's Theme Song debuted. ^^

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that Bianca was never meant to be a "serious rival" in the first place? To be frank, I've always seen her as more of a friendly reoccuring character then an actual rival at the same level that Trip is at. Appearing as the token game cameo and nothing else (while the anime uses an almost entirely different set of characters made whole cloth for the show and the show alone)..

Exactly.

I have not the slightest clue as to why people decided to start calling her a rival. Because she is doing the same thing as-in collecting badges? Yeah, thats one basic definition of it ... but in the context of this show when I think rival it think "One who attempts to equal or surpass another" which is something they don't have (Heck, Trip seems like a one sided rival seeing as he seems like he could care less about Ash regardless of how worked up Ash gets at him). Neither of them show ANY interest in being better than the other and on top of that a ton of her interactions with the group aren't directed at Ash ( The fishing episode and the lil Diva capture episodes along with all that Zorua stalking).

Yeah, I think she is just a reoccurring friend-like character to the group.

Exactly.
I have not the slightest clue as to why people decided to start calling her a rival. Because she is doing the same thing as-in collecting badges?

She's a rival because she's in competition with Ash, and we assume she'll be at the league.

What are we supposed to consider her? A random recurring character? She's not connected to Iris or Cilan like Langely or Burungly are, she's connected to Ash.

What, May and Dawn don;t count? What about Zoey?? And that girl who beat May in the second GF.

Not really going to argue against Bianca being a rival. She pretty much is, and its mainly because of the games. Cheren and Bianca are the rival characters in the game, and Bianca is being used similarly in the show, although she definitly isn't the *main* rival. I would agree though that this fandom seems to have too much of a tendancy to declare every single trainer a character battles against as a rival. A rivalry is more than just "character A and character B are aiming for the same goal", I think there needs to be a greater element of personal competition between the characters. I remember some people calling Conway one of Ash's "rivals" just because he happened to battle him in the league; even though Ash and Conway had no connection or competitive thing going between them in the previous apperances. Same with Dawn and Nando. Those two aren't rivals.

She's a rival because she's in competition with Ash, and we assume she'll be at the league.
Already addressed. And the way things are going she doesn't look like she will make it to the league imo.

Unless they want to make her win the whole thing and shock us all.

What are we supposed to consider her? A random recurring character?

... A friend of the group?
She and Ash don't push each other forward in any way and most of her appearances are centered around her interacting with Iris and Dent or that Fox. No sure why someone has to either be a "rival" or a random person ... thats not how things work.

Honestly, the episode should've focuses on Bianca against Elesa only and had her either win by a hair or draw with Elesa to show that she has improved considerably. Ash and her father's battle wasn't needed if you ask me. I'd wanted Bianca's father to be shocked at how her daughter has become stronger than her thought.

This episode, for what it's worth, was nice and fairly good but really could've been better.

Really dissapointed that Bianca couldn't even defeat one of Elesa's Pokémon. I hope this means she will learn her lesson and catch some strong Pokémon instead of just getting the cute ones. Also, wtf at Oshawott losing! I thought he was going to win the moment I saw Darmanitan as his opponent but, well, whatever.

I went into this episode hoping for an awesome, emotionally powerful episode like the nimbasa chapter from B/W and some fanservice from Elesa.

But all I get is a 30 min worf effect from Bianca and Ash. Good grief so many battles one-sided, here this would be an opportune time for Bianca to show her dad just how strong she became as a result of travelling the Unova region and how the bond with her pokemon has made her grow from the sheltered girl she once was. She could have gave Elesa a run for her money and got her excited like in B/W. The only reason why Bianca is not a faux action girl at this point is because she wasn't hyped up to begin with and it is clear why in this episode.

And Ash I know your just trying to help and all but having a battle with her dad only to get stomped just as bad as her isn't really helping her case, we know you fail at battling so there is no reason to remind us again. Plus I thought this was Bianca's day in the limelight you will have plenty of screen time next week.

The writers should take more from the games in terms of story. Something about game Bianca made me care for her but anime Bianca is just terrible. If this happened in the game we would have to kick the stuffing out of team plasma by our own since her dad would have taken her back home since she could battle school kids and get horribly owned.

least I got the fanservice though. Elesa+dressing up = cute ^-^

I knew Bianca would lose so I am not surprised. We weren't going to see Elesa get beaten twice in a row.

Also, did anyone notice Bianca blushing when she was talking to Elesa? :naughty:

Yes, because blushing means romantic interest, always. No exceptions. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that Bel is meant to be a joke rival. I'm not really sure why this seems to escape so many people.

gotpika said:
Um...shouldn't the title be "The Gym Leader is a Charismatic Model!"?

It absolutely should. I have no idea what the hell a "Charisma Model" is supposed to be.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom