• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW049: The Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamitsure Appears!!

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that Bel is meant to be a joke rival. I'm not really sure why this seems to escape so many people.

I may not be able to speak for every one on this, but I believe that several people are expecting a lot more from Bianca, considering she is currently Ash's first and only female recurring rival character. Bianca has been portrayed as an inferior character in the games so I am not surprised that she is being treated like an absolute joke in the anime.

Also, wtf at Oshawott losing! I thought he was going to win the moment I saw Darmanitan as his opponent but, well, whatever.

It's to show that type advantage does not necessarily equate to a victory in the anime. Ash's Oshawott may have perfected his Aqua Jet attack, but was completely overpowered by his larger and faster opponent. Even though Darmanitans seen in the past were treated as inferior battlers, this particular Darmanitan has been raised by a trainer with a lot of experience. Ash's Oshawott lost because it was unable to compete against a stronger opponent.

Last edited:
I may not be able to speak for every one on this, but I believe that several people are expecting a lot more from Bianca, considering she is currently Ash's first and only female recurring rival character. Bianca has been portrayed as an inferior character in the games so I am not surprised that she is being treated like an absolute joke in the anime.

See, she WAS somewhat of a "joke rival" in the games too, but she grew into herself as a person and she realized that even if she wasn't as strong as the protagonist/primary rival, that there were still things she COULD do and was NOT useless. This episode, although we got glimpses of a vulnerable!Bel (who is adorable and I want to hug her), but that was largely overshadowed by a useless!Bel. Bel can't do anything except chase after a fox and be an adorable ditz...

That's not progressive to her character AT ALL. I don't see this episode as a mark of her beginning her character growth, but I feel like it's complete derailment. It wasn't a terrible episode by any means - Bel got some great and heartfelt"i'm going to try my hardest!~" moments, but nothing she could do was a testament to herself or to her ability... or remotely close to her acknowledging her own ability. And after seeing the episode again, it was just grating to see her rush off without so much as a second glance to the friends that supported her and are the reason she's allowed to continue her journey. Her exit was mostly a "LOVE YOU PAPA, MWUAHZ xoxo" thereby eliminating the point of the earlier heartfelt scenes where Satoshi/Iris/Dent are declaring how great of a friend she is. ...

Yeah. :< I acknowledge that this is pretty much BAAAWWW on my part, but I just wish Bel's characterization would be closer to her game counterpart if the anime is going to adapt a plotline from it. Oh well.

Was Bianca always a bit taller than Ash? Can't believe I didn't notice that.

I didn't mind Bianca's loss in her gym battle and, like Gliscor'd, knew it was coming... though I do still wish she did a little better.

I assumed that Ash only challenged Bianca's dad to allow her to continue her Pokemon journey or the like, I had no idea that Ash's own journey was at stake in the battle as well. And all I can do is shake my head at that now. Why does he even care if a trainer he just met that day continues his long journey to fulfill his dream or not?

I do gotta say though that unlike Bianca's match, I didn't expect Ash to lose. But I can at least say that Oshawott's defeat surprised me. Unpredictability, at least.

Overall, aside from the third point, this episode could have been done better but I didn't think it was that bad, personally.

Last edited:
Honestly, this episode wasn't all that bad. Elesa, Ash, Iris, and Bel made it a win for me though.

Elesa: Man, I wish this girl could be a rival, or have been in a past contest or something. I liked her as a character, her presence, her flawless battle skills, and her modeling(I love ANTM).

Ash: Even though he's played the good guy role a thousand times, I loved that he took up for a friend.

Bel: She's been a punching bag, this entire generation; however, she was a lovable punching bag, and I give her credit for fighting to continue her dream.

Iris: Loved the remarks about Ash, and I didn't even understand them. I really enjoy Ash and Iris interactions and I'm not even a shipper, it's pretty neat though to see 2 characters not be so buddy, buddy.

I love Miju, always will, even if he hogs screentime or battletime, his loss was fine by me. As we all know Ash can't win em all anyway.

In terms of Bianca's rival cred, I personally believe that the writers WILL always place a "fall guy or girl" of a rival on the show, with the most interesting personality or plot activator so we won't give a damn how much they lose as long as they are entertaining.

Ursula, Barry, Bel, and Harley are examples of this. I loved Kenny personally but I know damn well others didn't, which is fine, but I didn't include him, because honestly, he never got to battle in the major tournament of the main(Dawn). Bel most likely will, because that's all there is in the League, is battles.

I'd cry if Bel was short of one badge though, as some sort of plot twist, right before League registration closes.

Am I the only one who thinks that Bianca was never meant to be a "serious rival" in the first place?

It depends what your definition of serious is. If the seriousness of a rival is gauged on a comedic/dramatic scale, then no, Bel is not this rival that's gonna have a drama filled serious rivalry that challenges Satoshi's core beliefs as a person and as a trainer à la Shinji. This episode sealed the deal on her being much more of a friendly/comedic rival when Satoshi really included her in the friends he made traveling through Isshu. She's always gonna bring that lightheartedness, the laughter. If the seriousness of a rival is gauged on skill and how much of threat he/she is, then I would say Bel actually has a very good shot at becoming one down the road. This episode showed that she's serious about her desire to do well as a trainer but she lacks belief in herself and in her own skills. When she tells Satoshi to stop the battle against her father, she's kinda telling him that it's not worth fighting for her because she doesn't see herself as important enough for him to risk ending in journey. His decision to continue tells her she is worth it and that she should continue on her journey, that he believes in her as a trainer.

To me, this episode is more about Bel realizing how much this meant to her, how many friends she made since starting her journey and how she should believe in herself more. It wasn't done well, but I see this episode as a new beginning rather than a confirmation that Bel will suck as a trainer for all eternity :p

Very funny that the only Pokemon of hers that could stand up to the Zebra was the one that she was gonna trade for a random Zorua. (I wonder what happened to Luke. I choose to think that he got tried of her trying to steal his Zorua and cut an angry promo on her ... one so strong and angry that it got her to leave him alone)
I would like an episode where Pignite stops obeying her (pissed that it's the only one on her team that can DO anything yet isn't respected or cared for as much because it's not cute) and Iris could help her understand it's feelings to make some use of the Dragon Buster Episode. That could be her wake up call to get her issh together.

Not too surprising when you recall that it was because he was her strongest pokemon that Bel offered him for trade, hoping to entice Luke...but yes, I too was a little saddened that she would consider parting with her starter pokemon so casually. I'd like to think that it was just her being impulsive, and not a sign of low regard for Pignite, or anything like that.

Besides, Pignite is cute. Not as cute as Shelmet, I grant you, but certainly more so than Minccino.^^

Speaking of Shelmet, his debut absolutely blew. I know I'd said previously that I didn't care if he got curbstomped, as it was just nice to see him, but goddam! We didn't even get a particularly good look at the poor snail in battle, he was so busy getting squished by zebra hooves. I have a feeling that they only brought him out post-battle, briefly, to try and add a bit more substance to what was evidentally such a miserable debut. :p

This wasn't as good as I'd hoped it'd be, but I'll take what I can get.
I will say that it was nice to see a few different sides to Bel this time around, though it was kind of disheartening to see a character who is usually so determined throw in the towel, especially after a loss like that.
I know she's not a super serious rival or anything, but she's still a character I've come to care about, so I'll always want her to put up a good fight and get a win in. I think that, at the very least, Chaoboo did an admirable job here, and Chillarmy did well against Kenyan's Zebraika a while back. I still stand by the opinion that she's not as terrible a battler as people keep claiming her to be.

Anywho, the big negative of this episode was her relative.
I really didn't like how they portrayed Bel's father. His calm, seemingly cheerful demeanour came across as extremely patronising, and though I'm assuming some of the dialogue indicated otherwise, sometimes it's just the way things are said rather than what is said...
While on the contrary her father in the game universe was a much more stern character, he still managed to avoid being an unlikable one. His confrontation with Bel in Raimon showed him to be frustrated with his daughter's actions, but due to the fact that he was obviously concerned for her well-being, that attitude was understandable and, frankly, allowed me to sympathise with him to some extent. It genuinely felt like he had her best interests at heart, while the guy in the show just felt like he wanted her to go home for the hell of it.

...he had a freaking Hihidaruma, though. And it's Nitro Charge was pretty kickass. So that's a plus!

Also
Gah. Too adorable.

cutei.jpg

I really didn't like how they portrayed Bel's father. His calm, seemingly cheerful demeanour came across as extremely patronising, and though I'm assuming some of the dialogue indicated otherwise, sometimes it's just the way things are said rather than what is said...
While on the contrary her father in the game universe was a much more stern character, he still managed to avoid being an unlikable one. His confrontation with Bel in Raimon showed him to be frustrated with his daughter's actions, but due to the fact that he was obviously concerned for her well-being, that attitude was understandable and, frankly, allowed me to sympathise with him to some extent. It genuinely felt like he had her best interests at heart, while the guy in the show just felt like he wanted her to go home for the hell of it.

That's true. It kind of bothered me how he was smiling smugly as Bianca's team got pummelled. I mean, wouldn't a part of him at least want to see his daughter do well at something? :/

I think people aren't really seeing the point of the episode. The plot was Bianca's journey depending on important battles, introducing Elesa, and introducing Shelmet, all of which were accomplished.

I liked the way this episode turned out, because by her father letting her continue despite winning the battle, shows that he does really care for his daughter, and does have her best interest at heart.

IDK, it seems like if anyone beats Ash on the show, fans automatically get defensive. People said Misty's victory was cheap, Iris' was, Kenny's was, and people are upset Ash lost here too. Even though he's the main, WE ALL SHOULD KNOW, he won't win them all! Not to get off topic, but if Ash loses this League coming up, are fans going to be enraged because they've had enough? If Ash just used this generation it Really doesn't seem likely! It's hard to imagine a newbie team winning over Ash's vets who've been with him longer, but I guess we'll have to see.

Still loved Elesa though, man I wish we saw her in a contest, she would have made a great rival for May or Dawn.

I dunno what to say about this episode. It turned out as I expected it to be, which was that it wasn't going to be that great of an episode despite two awesome characters appearing... Whom were Bel and Kamitsure, that is. I loved them both, although I need to see some translations to see what kind of personality/speaking style Kamitsure had (loved her voice). It's funny, by the way, how such a great model like Kamitsure doesn't change her hairstyle to match the clothes she's modeling for... n_n;

Bel's dad was boring. I thought he appeared as an intimidating figure in the games, but in this episode he seemed like a character who would change their mind really quick over some dumb reason. They tried to make him interesting in the battle, but eeeeeeeeeh. At least his daughter is awesome.

QFT.

And I do hope this means that this ep. sparks a new beginning for Bel in which we CAN take her seriously as a trainer as a battler because she seems to take herself a bit more seriously as well. I'm just apprehensive for the future ;_;

I dunno what to say about this episode. It turned out as I expected it to be, which was that it wasn't going to be that great of an episode despite two awesome characters appearing... Whom were Bel and Kamitsure, that is. I loved them both, although I need to see some translations to see what kind of personality/speaking style Kamitsure had (loved her voice). It's funny, by the way, how such a great model like Kamitsure doesn't change her hairstyle to match the clothes she's modeling for... n_n;

Bel's dad was boring. I thought he appeared as an intimidating figure in the games, but in this episode he seemed like a character who would change their mind really quick over some dumb reason. They tried to make him interesting in the battle, but eeeeeeeeeh. At least his daughter is awesome.

Or take off her headphones either.

Not too surprising when you recall that it was because he was her strongest pokemon that Bel offered him for trade, hoping to entice Luke...but yes, I too was a little saddened that she would consider parting with her starter pokemon so casually. I'd like to think that it was just her being impulsive, and not a sign of low regard for Pignite, or anything like that.

Besides, Pignite is cute. Not as cute as Shelmet, I grant you, but certainly more so than Minccino.^^
Impulsive? Ash is impulsive and Iris can be impulsive when it comes to capturing Pokemon ... you would never expect either of them to suggest trading Pikachu or The Drill at the drop of a hat and if they did no one would forgive either one for that.

She never thought twice about it or rethought it which could have redeemed it (a simple "... oh wow. Sorry, forget about that ... got carried away" would have done it). It just seems like something casual to her. And on top of that she actually spends 4 episodes trying to STEAL the Fox from Luke which makes her attitude towards it far less impulsive and far more calculating. She just comes across as spoiled with an ugly attitude and lack of respect towards Trainers and Pokemon. I really think that that should be addressed before she can "get real" and start training to become stronger.

Speaking of Shelmet, his debut absolutely blew. I know I'd said previously that I didn't care if he got curbstomped, as it was just nice to see him, but goddam! We didn't even get a particularly good look at the poor snail in battle, he was so busy getting squished by zebra hooves. I have a feeling that they only brought him out post-battle, briefly, to try and add a bit more substance to what was evidentally such a miserable debut. :p

I agree lol

Maybe they gave it to her to setup for the future because in-order evolve it you have to actually trade it and it's evolve aint cute looking. So she would have to give up her obsession with cuteness if she wants to make it stronger.
(Or maybe she doesn't know about this and just trades it in the future for a Karrablast )

I didn't like that Elesa totally crushed Bianca (beating all 3 of her Poké with just one...)
At first I believed there's a chance they'll actually write off Bianca this way, though I also thought that maybe watching his daughter battle would change the father's mind... but no, he didn't change his mind and then Ash battled him - it was so funny to me to hear Ash agree to a bet that if he loses, he'll return to Pallet XD and it was a little surprising to me that Ash actually lost... I liked the "emotional" stuff with the twerps explaining that Bianca is their friend, and at least Bianca is still allowed to travel, though I kinda hope they'd let her actually get better and prove herself, cause I hated how in the games she pretty much accept that she's weak and there's nothing to do about it
So... I'd say the ep was nice, mostly its second half

At least Bel caught herself a Chobomaki, it's one of my favorite Pokemon. It's strong, and it's a cool Bug Type. And now I can look forward to Bel having herself a Ninja Bug Type in the future. I propose an idea, if Bel taught Chobomaki "Take in Advance" or Yawn, she could counter Zeburaika and take it out easily. Only thing is she should have known better about using a Bug Type. She should have not used Chirrami when Zeburaika was shown to know Double Kick. She should have lead with Charbu.

But, been beaten by multiple Nitro Charge and Double Kicks and Wild Bolt defiantly must have hurt. She needs to get her priorities straighten out, and learn that she needs to focus less on looks, and cuteness and more on her Pokemon. It was pretty cool how Iris helped her out with healing Chobomaki.

Satoshi's Mijumaru losing, I'm not mad about but, at the same time not happy. Bel's Pappy is strong so Hihidaruma whipping Mijumaru was justified, at the same time the writers are sending the messages that Type Advantages suck, and Type Disadvantages rule which is not what I like at all. Doryuuzu beating Pikachu was a step in the right direction, and Gamagaru taking on Zeburaika. But, I guess I won't get sore over it since he's probably had that Poke longer then Iris had Doryuuzu. A type of dynamic between Iris and Bel since they have one in the game would be awesome.

Charbu being the only one good enough was awesome, it shows her looks aren't everything cuteness doesn't mean strong so I'm glad Charbu got the most screen time. Bel and Iris both are related in the respect neither can really really understand there pokes.

IDK, it seems like if anyone beats Ash on the show, fans automatically get defensive. People said Misty's victory was cheap, Iris' was, Kenny's was, and people are upset Ash lost here too

I think the problem is that all of those losses you mention, and the loss in this episode, where against regular trainers. No one really complains when Ash loses to a gym leader or an Elite 4 member, because they're supposed to be tough, and the E4 have always been portrayed as being pretty much untouchable, so it would be more surprising if he could beat them. Trainers in the leagues too are supposed to be really strong. But against a normal everyday trainer, we usually expect Ash to do much better, considering this is his 5th region and all. I know we can't expect him to win every single battle, but it is possible to overcompensate and make him look too weak, which is what some people feel is happening now

There was a Kamitsure cosplayer found in the audience in the Bel match. Did anyone see her? :)

To be honest I thought one of the girls in the audience looked a lot like Dawn. There was one girl with blue hair in a ponytail, I am sure someone has the screencap.

And one of those girls looks like a preteen version of Sabrina... We could go on and on about the random assortment of preteen girls obsessing over Elesa, but they are hardly important.

But really, Elesa does not have any male fans in the audience?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom