• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW049: The Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamitsure Appears!!

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
he Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamiture Appears!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard - Takaomi Kanezaki
Assistant director - Fumihiro Yoshimura
Animation director - Takashi Shinohara

Finally arriving at Raimon gym, the group runs into Bel who's in a hurry to challenge the gym leader...

Re: BW 049 "he Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamiture Appears!!" Review Thread

Disappointed! :( Bel was really pathetic! I love her character her design but it is time she become a serious trainer already! Sad! She couldn't even beat one of Elesas Pokemon! Hope she trains a little with her Dad! XD
Miju finally lost, it's time Ash trains seriously with him and make him evolve!
The overall animation was solid and i enjoyed it!
The cute Elesa dressed girl was really nice!

Re: BW 049 "he Gym Leader is a Charisma Model! Kamiture Appears!!" Review Thread

Shouldn't that be "The Gym Leader", @Musashi?

First half of the episode was fine though I didn't like how the breezed over Bel's gym battle. The second part was so bad IMO. First Bel's dad annoyed me simply because he suddenly puts all this pressure on Ash and makes him strike a stupid "Go back to Pallet Town if you lose" deal. Isn't that overstepping? Also why ASH had to battle Bel's dad? It would have been better if SHE battled him to prove that she was good enough to survive on her own.

Other than that...eh I have nothing.

Elesa was quite lovely! I love her modeling career, she looks amazing. I’ m so happy they showed her modeling. I like it when gym leaders have a lot of personality.

I was a bit disappointed with Bel’s battle though, it went so fast. I was hoping she would make a bit of an impact to show is improving. We know she has badges; but I would like to see it myself.

Bel’s father is strange. Not very likeable. Satoshi is such a good friend though to try and help Bel.

And Dent made food for Elesa and gang. Love that.

Ok, here's my thoughts on the episode:

I will say that I'm loving how well Raimon City is being presented in the anime. The anime is doing a great job making it colourful and unique... which is more than could be said for the way they botched up Huin City, which could have... actually, did pass (in the fishing episode) for any old city in the show. Plus, I'm glad they kept in the rollercoaster in Raimon Gym, even if it does seem a bit extravagant (I'm guessing Kamiture's modelling pays really well).

Ok, now that's the compliments out the way... you know, the Gym Battle reminded me of Shinji vs. Jun from the Suzuran Conference in that the secondary rival is made to seem completely weak and you don't know why you're meant to take this person seriously as a rival anymore. But the difference is that Jun was coming to the end of his run of the show, but we're still in the middle of Bel's...

...I mean, couldn't the writers have allowed her to knock out at least one of Kamiture's Pokemon? At least make it look like she's got some strength as a trainer. But no, instead we got Zebraika running rampant all over Bel's Pokemon... even Chaoboo couldn't make a dent. I know this is supposed to make Kamiture seem really strong so we'll be impressed when Satoshi defeats her next week, but man... I don't know how we're supposed to take Bel seriously as a rival after this. She is indeed the Best Wishes version of Jun.

Oh, and Satoshi couldn't defeat Hihidaruma with Mijumaru... man, the writers must have been in a lousy mood when writing this episode. They didn't give anyone a break.

The episode was ok. Kamiture was awesome, the Bel flashbacks were sweet, but... that was pretty much it. No real surprises. The episode went how most of us thought it would. Needed more Nyasu.

Shouldn't that be "The Gym Leader", @Musashi?

Ha ha. Yes. XD Fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

What was with all of the Flame Charging in this episode?

I'm surprised Ash didn't use Tepig. Then it would've been complete.

I know... it seems that when the writers have a favourite move they really like to show it off. During D/P it was Hidden Power, now we've got Flame Charge, Attract and Protect popping up all the time. Hell, we're getting Attract next week.

So Ash ended up losing to her father after all, and Bianca didn't take out a single Pokemon of Elesa's? Hopefully Bianca comes back, and actually wins something. *sigh*

Meh, at least Elesa was cool.

Last edited:
Bel is getting so similar to Barry, as if she wasn't already x3 I don't think she'll ever win.

Brock would have loved Elesa T___T

Ash lost his battle against Bianca's father despite having the type advantage. Bianca was unable to defeat any of Elesa's pokemon.

For those who complained that the Unova gym leaders were not as powerful as the Sinnoh gym leaders, well, you have it right here. Elesa completely sweeped Bianca with just a Zebstrika. Not even Bianca's Pignite, which helped Bianca win her first two badges, was able to defeat that thing.

Anyways, the dad is convinced to allow her daughter to continue travelling, which defeats the purpose of Bianca's loss. We got some exposure from Bianca, but at the same time, the writers continue to downplay her strength as a potential rival. The fact that two of Bianca's pokemon were defeated before the commercial break is a testament to her weakness.

I really enjoyed Elesa, but I'm just really disappointed that Oshawott lost to a Darmanitan. It's be a long time since he's had a victory and his last battle was a self KO. Come on writers! You could've at least let Ash win after watching Elesa destroy Bianca!

I don't know. I didn't take Bianca seriously in the game, and I won't take her seriously here. If she is to be a rival in this series, she needs to return even more powerful, but now, just like in the game, I'm going to write her off. In other news, BW may have overstepped an impassible boundary. Ash hasn't lost to an ordinary trainer in years, how can this happen? And Osha is fairly decent, it put up a good fight, and still it loses? I don't understand why this happened, it serves no purpose other than to troll on Ash. I'm not angry, but I still don't understand.

It's a real pain, y'know? Bianca got shafted in the game too, and looking over this it doesn't look like it's gonna change here either.

If, heaven forbid, Bianca gets better as a trainer, I'd say beating her old man would be a good way to showcase it without using Ash or some other established character as the fall guy.

Last edited:
Wasn't too big a fan of Bel getting beaten pretty easily as others said. A very underwhelming debut for Chobomaki, though the scene where Iris helped it was sorta cute.

Lol at Mijumaru being beaten. That's what you get for putting yourself forward all the time in the most obnoxious way!

Yay! Elesa and Bianca are in this episode, this is gonna be awesome!

*22 minutes later*

That was not awesome!

So, all this build up with Bianca to prove herself to her dad, and it just results in a bizarrely quick 3-0 smackdown. At least Barry did well enough to make Paul have to switch Pokemon around. That blond-haired model just went full zebra-rage (zebrage?) on our ditzy damsel. I was hoping this might lead to a match with her against her father afterwards, but no, that would be well-done writing.

Instead we get Ash battling him for no reason, and he gets his butt handed to him. What purpose did that serve exactly? Yes writers, we know Ash is a weakling of a trainer, you don't need to remind us every other episode! And I don't have a clear translation, but did Bianca's dad really tell Ash if he lost he had to give up and return to Pallet?! Who made him the master of everyone?

What pray-tell was the point of this episode? Were the writers pissed off because their kids didn't eat their vegetables the night before and decided to take it out on the anime?

I do have to say, that blond-haired model girl was pretty cute, and familiar looking... but no, she couldn't be Elesa... This woman is way too happy, smug and excited. Obviously this is building up to a plot point where that quick-change Magma member Brodie has taken over the gym and has Elesa trapped in a cellar, being forced to watch reruns of Captain Planet, the bastard.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom