• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW050: Raimon Gym! Magnificent Electric Shock Battle!!

Wow, this is surreal. Ash trying to be strategic? He does make one good choice, though, as Palpitoad is immune to Electrics and can destroy them pretty good, too. Also, did they just portray a flinch? I don't think the anime's ever portrayed a flinch before. (correct me if I'm wrong) Ah, Emolga, they just had to give this one Attract, too. Seeing a double Attract fail is interesting, although kinda redundant. I will agree that I've never seen Ash this flustered during a battle before. As for Pika. I think something in Pika snapped. I don't know if has to do with Meowth or not, but it's a while since Pika has shocked random people out of anger. It really disturbs me. But I am happy to see field alteration to turn the tide again. This is an okay gym battle, but I am really confused.

Pretty decent episode aside from a lot of Pikachu. Alll the wins and losses were justified. Now let's put Pikachu into a cage for the rest of Unova.

Well, I'm glad Ash did use his head (even slightly) for once, as well as his heart.
I would have preferred less of Pikachu, and hopefully less of him in future Gym Battles.

I loved Tynamo, and I thought Dento and Iris made your typical, but good audience for Ash.
Thank god he won. I wouldn't bear another rematch with a Gym Leader in this series yet...
And Ash is such a gentleman, taking his hat off as a greeting. XD

@Karamazov: Also explains what was up with the battle being... whatever that was.

Seriously... Zebstrika was KO'd to the wall, Emolga was KO'd to the wall, Pikachu was hit to the wall and Tynamo was, as a surprise twist, KO'd to the wall. Wut.

This was truly a wallbreaking episode.

Again we have the issue of stock-footage that has plagued this series and its battles so hard. Would it hurt for them (the animators) to do a different animation of Quick Attack instead of the one we saw in the first episode? Same thing goes for Iron Tail. Same thing goes for Thunderbolt. And so on.

It's ridiculous really. I can't remember it EVER being this bad in the entire run of this show. Battles just aren't entertaining to watch anymore when you see the same animation for every move again and again.

Although I felt that the gym battle seemed to lack a bit it was surely better than the previous one to me at least :p I absolutely loved Ash in this ep he was hilarious XDDD Never would have expected him to have trouble sending out a Pokemon during battle....or for him to forget that Snivy was a female :p The anime surely has made me love Elesa more, no wonder she has so many fangirls ^^

As much as I hate the glorification of Pikachu, I didn't mind it too much in this episode since the character was actually entertaining. It felt like I was watching a Kanto episode.

Satoshi hasn't been this entertaining in a long time. Loved seeing him make everything up as he went along.

I also noticed that Satoshi was using the same sort of pen during the cold opening that Kimimaro used in Advanced Generation.
I feel the exact same way. I can't remember a time when Satoshi was this fun. It all became about using strategy after Kanto getting dull. Good eye with the pen. I knew it looked familiar... Plus, what's with the overuse of pokeball accessories? We have a pen with a pokeball on top of it and a gurl with a pokeball earing! I wonder how much money the guys who make stuff like that in the Pokemon world get. The Pikachu wins made sence since the guy must have a very high attack and the Emolga has a very low defence. Shi<3 has a low defence too. The battles were also fun and the comedy in it was hilarious! You guys keep taking it seriously. The kids watching it all have fun seeing their hero be clumsy while you go deep and get annoyed because things don't go your way.

Commenting on how someone enjoys (or doesn't enjoy, as the case may be) the show is not necessary at all. :) Everyone is the right to boast and keep their own opinion about the episode and should be able to do so freely without it getting commented on. Thank you!

-Ash's Stratagey, From the moment I saw Ash with a pen and paper, I thought he'd had a bump to the head. Come to think of it, since he knew Elesa uses Electric types, don't you think he would of planned to use Snivy anyway? But seeing him leave the gym to get snivy and then after she was beaten being indecisive, kind of sunk my heart. I think the fact that he wanted to try somthing different was out of character in its self. I miss the Ash that would have sent Oshawott or Tranquill to fight the electric types.

-Palpitoad's gym debut, He rocked. I was pleased that he got a win.

-Snivy's gym debut, terrible. How can a powerful pokemon lose all the time? Oh wait, Torterra. Seriously though, first Pidove and now this, it would do good if Ash learened his pokemon's genders

-Pikachu being the star, I'm fine with that, the only problem I have with it is that he also beat Burgh, if they knew they'd want Pickachu in this battle, why not use Tranquill agaist Leavanny, the episode clearly was all about Swadloon anyway, but Pikachu did good here.

-Tynamo being the last hurdle, ................ I'm sorry the last pokemon is always ment to be threatening, if it not be Zebstrika atleast Emolga, but no way should Tynamo have been used last.

-Elisa, as they say "jiiiiiiiizzz"

-Elisa flirting a bit with Ash, Sorry Elisa, he dose not know where babies come from.

the only "debatable" win is against Emolga.

palpitoad beat Zebrastrika fairly, and Tynamo defied it's trainers orders and payed for it, after all rushing your opponent isn't the best option especially when thier about to nail you into a wall by your neck.

Hmm...I'm starting to think that Shibishirasu actually disobeyed Kamitsure when it went charging for the final blow, I heard her saying "Matte!"...How come?

Hmm...I'm starting to think that Shibishirasu actually disobeyed Kamitsure when it went charging for the final blow, I heard her saying "Matte!"...How come?

she was probably tring to figure out what the heck Ash was doing and trying to prepare a counter, but her pokemon rushed in and payed for it.

I would also like to say this, yes she did command a tackle. However the pokemon did not follow through on said tackle until Pikachu stopped blasting the field, so given the delay factor it did disobey as she also told it to stop, but it didn't.

DAMN AWESOME! Satoshi and Pikachu both acted FUN AND CRAZY THIS EP! Seriously! ^^ Seeing them both freak out and get wild and crazy was one of the reasons I loved this ep.

The Charismatic Model Kamitsure and her Emonga that is voiced by Satoshi's Hatooboh(POOR Hatooboh is somewhere crying her bird's nest) was great, and Zeburaika was beaten easy no surprise. I used the same strategy in game Nitro Charge has 4x resistant to a Ground/Water Type and Wild Bolt is useless Quick Attack and Double Kick won't be doing much either. Gamagaru working hard and beating Zeburaika like that was awesome, the battle could have been more interesting though, seriously it was a bit boring at times ^^

Satoshi stupid, YOUR GAMAGARU IS NOT A GIRL! He only used Tsutarja for Mero-Mero winning would have been cheap as heck, so I'm glad she lost. I still love her though. When the hell did Tsutarja learn how to fly? Leaf Blade misses, and she flys back with another Leaf Blade? Uh..huh. That Emonga was a bad bitch, and Tsutarja in no way should have won with nothing but Grass Moves and a Normal Move.

Pikachu, my fave Poke was the MVP of this Gym Battle, which I'm happy to say. I don't think people will be happy until Pikachu isn't being used at all. I'm glad he was used and he shouldn't have to suffer just because the writers had Satoshi catch everything that can move. Pikachu taking out something without Eleki Ball or Volt Tackle, when is the last time that happened? No surprise there, Emonga was probably tired from Tsutarja and Gamagaru's battles plus Pikachu has always been a speed demon. Emonga's defenses are pretty middling as well. Quick Attack is a perfect move for a speedy opponent because it always hits first. Nice strategy.

Shibibirasu only can use Tackle, which sucked. Because that made it much less fun. Kamitsure's Shibibirasu's Disobedience and overconfidence was it's undoing. She told for the damn thing to stop, but it did what it wanted. Pikachu's side Iron Tail was awesome ^^ Shibibirasu was down for the count.

I expect for Tsutarja to redeem herself next gym, with Pokabu battling Doryuuzu, Mijumaru taking on Waruvile, and Tsutarja going for Gamagaru.

This gym could have been done better but still, it was a great gym. Tsutarja should have stayed out though. She won a Don Battle.

Tynamo's reason for disobeying Elesa:

Elesa: STOP!
Tynamo: STFU, IT'S MY TIME TO SHINE AND GET SOME FAN GURLS!

I love how this is an Electric Gym and the only Electric-type move used was Electro Ball. :p

You know, I think this might be the first time one of Ash's Pokemon's attack actually confused an enemy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Buizle confused....himself when hit with his own attack. So with Palpitoad's supersonic and Snivy's Attract, it looks like the writers might really be shrugging off the idea that Ash's pokes should only have attacking moves.

Last edited:

Shibishirasu went in for the attack but at that point Kamitsure realized Satoshi's plan a little too late.

I love how this is an Electric Gym and the only Electric-type move used was Electro Ball. :p

Pikachu used Thunderbolt on the entire field in order to expose Tynamo's whereabouts.

Aside from that, Palpitoad was immune to Electric-type attacks so Zebstrika couldn't use its Wild Charge attack. Emolga couldn't use her own Electric-type attacks against Palpitoad for the same reason.

Ash's second choice, Snivy, resisted Electric-type attacks and was immune to Emolga's Attract. Emolga was part Flying type adn Snivy is naturally weak against Flying-type attacks so this was why she used Acrobatics and Aerial Ace.

Electric-type pokemon also resist Electric-type attacks. This was why Pikachu and Tynamo did not use any Electric-type moves in their battle.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom