• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW052: Satoshi VS Champion Adeku!

I cannot stress how refreshing it is to see a character in this series who doesn't continually prattle on about achieving goals and getting stronger. Alder why must you go? These young fools have much to learn.

Lol Trip sorry, Alder is hardly the only person who has forgotten about your existence, and your reason for travelling in the first place has been made null and void. I'm actually looking forward to what'll happen to him next, hopefully this isn't a thing that'll just blow over by the next time he appears.

LOL, it all developed precisely as I had predicted.
Alder turned out to be an absent-minded, forgetful goofball, a joke "champion" and an insult to every serious trainer.
Dozing off during battle, hitting on Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny in a most ridiculus way and being tossed around by two Pokemon, one of which was his own partner, must be the most awkward and ridiculous behavior I've ever seen and TOTALLY unworthy of a champion.

Thus, I can't emphasize enough how much I'm sympathizing with Trip right now. His whole reason for living was to finally face off against his greatest idol but that seemingly powerful and much-admired trainer ended up disappointing his biggest fans in the most terrible way possible. Do you know how it feels if your dreams have been shattered? If I were Trip, my world would have fallen apart and all I wanted to do is beat that jerk up who betrayed me so shamelessly. Poor, disillusioned Trip, I know exactly what you're going through right now!

But what angers me even more is the fact that many users here are starting to consider that wannabe-trainer as the best "champion" ever. Guys, get real. Seriously! That asshole is an insult to every serious trainer and a slap into every real champion's face. How dare he drag through the mud the glorious title "Champion" like this? Oh wonderful Cynthia please forgive that jerk for ruining the real champions' reputation as the strongest trainers ever. It's such a disgraceful shame!

And yes, I can already predict what some of you are going to respond. You are going to say that he's a different "champion" and that his quirks and antics make him all the more interesting and whatnot. No they don't! All they do is make a complete fool of him!
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of all those comic relief characters! We already have the "funny" Oshawott in Ash's team, we can't really take Iris and Cilan seriously either and Team Rocket are slowly but surely losing all their competence they once had at the beginning of Unova. And to make things worse, we now also got a foolish goofball "champion". Oh my God, don't you realize it, the whole show is getting more and more childish and ridiculous!
And to those who think that battling is not all, I'd like to say the following: Someone with this kind of conviction would NEVER EVER become Champion in the first place and would probably not even get to work as an ordinary gym leader. Even the weakest of them have more fighting spirit than that damn Alder!
Here's what I think: The writers just threw in a random goofball character and expect us to believe that he's the "champion". But I swear if they would stick to their own principles of Pokemon battles, Alder wouldn't be able to stand his ground for one second, let alone defend his "title". No surprise he lost against N :drowsy: Presenting this character as the champion is a huge contradiction in itself and would never work if the writers didn't apply their usual tricks.

Oh Cynthia, what a shame this Alder must be to you. You will always be the greatest and no matter how many ridiculous wannabe-champions will appear in the future, your reputation will always remain untouched, glorious queen and one and only Champion!

Last edited:
Well, I can't say I was disappointed with this episode. While Alder's personality was a big departure from his ingame one, I found it a welcome change. It really showed that he was 'human' I guess. Just because he's one of the strongest trainers in the world, it doesn't mean that he's a paragon of maturity and wisdom. The scene where he fell asleep was very funny IMO, and a nice twist on the "Trainer takes attacks and then finishes enemy with a singe move" strategy. The scene where he gave the trio his advice showed that he was more than meets the eye, and was reminiscent of the lecture he gives Cheren ingame.

As for everyone else, Trip's reaction to his hero not being what he expected was done pretty well. As others have said, it reminds me of the 7 year old kid finding out about Santa. His frustration, the way he makes the exit, it was all well done. I wonder if this will affect future episodes.

Ash was his usual self, though if I interpret correctly, he did use a bit of strategy by using Electro Ball on the non-moving Bouffalant. (I speak no Japanese, so I was merely interpreting my way through). As for Iris and Cilan, they seemed to sort of be the background here, as the main focus was on Ash & Alder, so there isn't much to say.

Finally, the bit with Gigalith was a bit cliche. Once again, others have pointed out it's similarity to Onix/Druddigon, and I'd be inclined to agree. I knew they were going to show Alder could be serious and wise if he needed to, but I was hoping for something new.

Overall, it's not really filler, but doesn't advance much either. It was still highly entertaining though, as Alder's antics had me laughing out loud several times.

8/10

By the way, what was Alder originally doing in Jenny's custody? Did he flirt with her too much or something?

By the way, I don't understand Japanese at all, but even I understood and loved that scene with Alder holding and petting Herdier, completely ignoring Jenny.

Nice to know Gigalith can make the "^_^" face.

Maybe Roggy can become a real boy after all......

I'm just surprised to see it have a mouth.

Well, she had a pair of handcuffs. And there was a man in her vehicle. Use your imagination.

I did. I got something very different than from what you're implying.

Gosh, I love Adeku as a Champion, he reminds me of Ash so much in a weird way.
The presentation of the battle was amusing, as I'm glad they didn't have Adeku sweeping the floor with Ash, but instead him goofing off.
I'd love to have an Adeku head pat. |D

If anyone else is getting this problem, please contact me.

They could've made Alder a second-hand Cynthia ala Trip to Paul, but they didn't. Glad they made him a completely different character with ideals to call his own.

And I'm always down for Trip getting trolled.

They could've made Alder a second-hand Cynthia ala Trip to Paul, but they didn't. Glad they made him a completely different character with ideals to call his own.

And I'm always down for Trip getting trolled.

Why would they? Its not like past champions like Lance, Steven or even Wallace were all the same personality wise.

As for Trip being trolled, yep. It seems they're trying desperately to make Trip stand out...at least this was one bit of effort here to an otherwise still blandish character.

Er...were those real Sandile those kids were playing Whack-A-Mole with at the start of the episode? Oh my, how exceedingly brutal. :/

Other than that, a really fun episode. It's difficult not to draw comparisons between this and the Kanto episode where the gang runs into Bruno, though Alder was a very unique and colourful character, and it was nice seeing Trip get somewhat emotional for a change (though how it'll affect him in the long-run remains to be seen). I know that people have been calling for Trip to take a bite out of a particularly bitter reality sandwich for the longest, but I'll admit to feeling kind of sorry for the kid here. It's never easy when you're a kid and the foundations upon which you've constructed your entire world view come crashing down before you like that. Congratulations, Trip - now that you've seen the world for what it really is you may just have taken your first painful steps toward adulthood.

Pretty decent eppy, for the most part.
-Adeku was a awesome champ for the most part, much more entertaining then Shirona and I always enjoy wild characters those, are usually much more entertaining and jsut overall much fun to watch. He was like an grampa or older uncle, and seeing that you don't have to become boring and personality-ness after becoming highly ranked in the world was the best part for me. The dude is sitting in a policewoman's vehicle petting and playing with her police dog for one. The way he tried to pick up woman all the time and got attacked by his own Poke reminded me of Takeshi. The dude was a major trip.

-Buffron, was awesome. The buffalo's attitude at times with getting mad at Adeku and annoyed with him was just what I liked to see. Pikachu and Satoshi are a lot alike, and Pokes are like there trainers, just like with Dento and Yanappu. But, I always like seeing partner Pokes that have attitude that are different from their trainers, like with Iris and her Kibago. Buffron was serious about battles and had a attitude at times at Adeku childish behavior, seeing it get mad and attack Adeku with Afro Break was awesome. Speaking of Afro Break, it looked freaking cool, the minute I found out it was similar to Volt Tackle is when I liked it a lot.

-The whole Pikachu and Buffron battle was a fucking joke. If they were going to make it a joke battle, they defiantly should have used Zuruggu instead. I thought Buffron and Adeku were sponging all of Pikachu's attacks simply cause, they were showing how powerful they were and didn't want to show up Satoshi. But, dang if Zuruggu would have been used it could have shown off it's new High Jump Kick and got a little battle experience with learning how to dodge, and attack higher and closer range. And Zuruggu might could've learned a long range move, since according to Iris having all close range attacks is kinda dangerous in battle. But, needless to say that Zuruggu learning High Jump Kick was shoddy writing, since it didn't train or battle one bit prior knocking out his opponent in one hit a Flying evolved Poke was even cheaper, but no cared about. But, still it would have been better for Zuruggu, or maybe Tsutarja since Buffron might have "Herbivore" and she could lose to Buffron and Satoshi could then learn that having nothing but, grass attacks on one Poke can be dangerous, since Buffron would sponge all the attack Tsutarja had and Mero-Mero would be useless because eventually Buffron would hit Tsutarja if she can't hurt him.

-Iris, was awesome as always. Seeing Adeku and her interact was awesome, since I thought Adeku was Iris's daddy or grandpa when I first saw Adeku. Iris goal of being a Dragon Master and the fact Adeku has a Crimgan nice tie-around I guess haha.

-Shuuti, haha. I've been pretty interested in the kid since we learned he met the champ of Isshu and his third battle with Satoshi and all his strategy and stuff. Seeing him get angry and annoyed and his image of Adeku being shattered was pretty cool ya know? It's a step in the right direction in showing how different Shuuti is from Shinji. Since Shinji just didn't give a ratass, Shuuti on the other hand pretends not to give a ratass and is much more vunerable then Shinji.

-Seriously the show has debuted 50 or so other pokes, and they still feel the need to reuse Mamepato and Minezumi at every chance *_*

-Satoshi, Pika, and Adeku three of my favorite character chowing down on food, while Dento, Kibago, and Iris stare at them all being gluttonous and all the fan standing around was pretty funny actually. The dude is pretty known.

-Gigaith with a metal spike in it's foot, haha pretty cool reference to the "The Lion with a Thorn in His Paw". I thought he would use his pokes on that thing, but he took things into his own hands instead of using his Pokes to solve it completely, kinda like how Dento and Satoshi helped Iris rescued Kibago from Pendra and she vine swung to save him. He got the spike outta Gigaith foots, and I'm excited to see Dangoro evolve into that. Wish Dangoro could have met it. Adeku really matured and got serious when things got bad.

So, yeah Adeku was awesome and I'm liking him a bit more then Shirona, because he's so relatable and more interesting with different layers to his personality.

Hm... does a battle count as a loss if the trainer is knocked out instead of the pokemon? Because in that case, Satoshi did kinda win.

Then again, can we say Adeku was winning the match while sleeping, and that he also won against a wild pokemon without using any himself?

I dunno, but all this made, despite him being... like that... be shown as an amazing trainer. Which is to be expected, of course.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom