• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW052: Satoshi VS Champion Adeku!

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
Satoshi VS Champion Adeku!

Screenplay: Shōji Yonemura
Storyboard: Hiromasa Amano
Assistant director: Tetsuo Yajima
Animation director: Atsushi Ogata

As the gang are about to head off to the next gym, they notice a festival and stop to check it out. They run into Shooti once again, and even meet the champion Adeku! But he isn't quite how they hang imagined him to be…

This was a good episode in my opinion. Adeku was hilarious, Buffaron was cute, Shooty was... Shooty. Adeku is certainly better than Shirona in my opinion.

Hm, it was an alright episode. I mean, nothing happened that wasn't hinted in the preview. I like Adeku quite a lot, he's a funny character and is different from the previous champions.
Though my favourite part of the episode was the fact they played 'Celebi voice of the forest' at the end, I really love that song.

I find it kinda funny how Shooti left in a huff but didn't get the chance to see Adeku saving the town at the end.

Oh, was the ending song changed, or am I late to the party?

Ok. Seriously. What is with the writers and thinking someone mispronouncing people's names is the most hilarious thing ever? It's not, and I really can't handle anymore characters that do this.

Other than, awesome episode. Adeku is my new favorite champion.

And finally the ED switches to the second half of the song. I loved the part where they were running on the record.

Hm, it was an alright episode. I mean, nothing happened that wasn't hinted in the preview. I like Adeku quite a lot, he's a funny character and is different from the previous champions.
Though my favourite part of the episode was the fact they played 'Celebi voice of the forest' at the end, I really love that song.

I find it kinda funny how Shooti left in a huff but didn't get the chance to see Adeku saving the town at the end.

Oh, was the ending song changed, or am I late to the party?

Not exactly. It's still Ieru Kana BW, just another verse of it.

alder...best champion. in the world.

any champion can be all deep and serious and calm. alder is goofy, ridiculous, forgetful, full of good humor and laughing all the time. he also doesn't take battling as seriously as he takes relationships with pokemon, which some people who aren't into competitive battling can really relate to!

you could watch a regular run of the mill champion win a battle with dead seriousness and some insightful advice about battles, or you could watch alder fall asleep standing up mid-battle and get head-butted into a tree by his pissed off buffalo.

just a shame shooti stormed off before getting to learn what alder was really talking about. i was waiting for alder to shoot shooti down over his misinterpretation of alder's advice that getting strong is all that matters. now i can't wait for shooti to get shot down again. maybe this is why he's called shooti, so alder can shoot him down each and every episode they meet in.

Man, another episode with a misleading title... the battle (if you can call it that) only lasted a few minutes, and all it mostly consisted of Buffron taking Pikachu's attacks.

Having said that, this was an ok episode which was greatly helped by the fact that Adeku was brimming with personality. As much as I liked Shirona, you've got to admit that she was pretty bland (her only personality trait we ever saw was the fact she couldn't pick desserts) so seeing someone like Adeku who fell asleep, flirted with women and was generally carefree until it really mattered was great. You know that this wouldn't have happened in the older series (mostly because Takeshi would have got there first).

I also really liked the fact that Shooty was left very unimpressed with off-duty Adeku and eventually just left, although I hate that one again his rivalry with Satoshi was pretty much ignored once again.

Speaking of Shooty, we got to see his badges and most of them were made up... which doesn't make any sense to me, since the Badge Case has slots already in for a select eight badges, meaning that if Satoshi went and won an anime-exclusive badge he wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

In regards to the Gigaiath subplot, once again we're treated to the old 'Injured Pokemon rampaging due to injury' story we've had a couple of times already in BW (Pokabu, Crimgan). I kinda wish the explanation had been different...

We got another great ending scene... the animators seem to really like sunset, don't they.

Finally, the ending credits now comprises the second verse of 'Can You Name All the Pokémon? BW' complete with new animation. Although I chuckled at seeing Pikachu and the starters running on the vinyl record, I still hate this ending and wish it would go away.

Next week, no new episode. Instead we get Pikachu's Big Mysterious Adventure, which will probably cause me to start missing Gureggru again...

So was Adeku's voice actor not listed in the ending credits? I mean, he was very clearly voiced by Ishizuka Unshou, but I'd still like confirmation.

Anyway, awesome episode. I think I saw quite a few recycled characters we haven't seen in a while in the background.

Musashi said:
Ok. Seriously. What is with the writers and thinking someone mispronouncing people's names is the most hilarious thing ever? It's not, and I really can't handle anymore characters that do this.

I couldn't agree more. I *guess* it kind of makes sense seeing how Adeku is being portrayed as this absent-minded goofball, but still. It's getting old.

It's great to see a laid-back Champion...although I don't understand why the writers "reprised" the rival's badge case showoff (remember when Gary had 10 Kanto badges?), the only "real" badge in Shooti's case was the Trio Badge, everything else was different, and really, if there's no information about the other Gym Leaders out there, then what's the point of adding "foreign" badges apart from showing that Shooti's always a step ahead of Satoshi and he's going on a different path...
Just, less similarities to the Kanto saga, please!

Last edited:
This was a fun ep. Alder is hilarious.

And hi, Shooty, it's very nice to see y....Well, it's...You're there, I saw you. Hi. Now kindly move so we can see more of Satoshi and Adeku.

Falling asleep in a battle? BRILLIANT!
Rivalry between Ash and Trip is dead to me........
Alder FTW!
It's official, Herdier is the new Growlithe!
Bouffalant:I like it now!

Overall:7.2/10

I missed the intro of the episode, so I'm just seeing the screencaps on Filb... did anyone else notice the boy being given an ice cream that looks exactly like Baniricchi, face and all?

...the only "real" badge in Shooti's case was the Trio Badge, everything else was different

Shooty also had the Basic Badge.

I always thought it was strange that Trip had four badges, yet he was south of Nimbasa City in BW031 and the Don Battle Tournament. Although I did suspect that he did not get the Bolt Badge, it's good to see that this is confirmed. It also makes sense that Trip didn't get the Insect Badge, either. I guess he was sick and tired of Burgh's attitude in BW022 and decided to leave while "Castelia City handled that problem off-screen."

The actual episode was interesting, but it was predictable and expected. Nothing truly important happened and it was such a shame that none of Trip's pokemon appeared.

I missed the intro of the episode, so I'm just seeing the screencaps on Filb... did anyone else notice the boy being given an ice cream that looks exactly like Baniricchi, face and all?

Actually that was Vanillite, not Vanillish.
014bep.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not a simple ice cream cone...

Oh god...

So was Adeku's voice actor not listed in the ending credits? I mean, he was very clearly voiced by Ishizuka Unshou, but I'd still like confirmation.

No listing for him, Ishizuka was credited for narration, and... it's pretty obvious it was him.

Oh my stars, would you check out the details the animators put into Performer Street? Jaw-droppingly fantastic. Balloons (?) in the shape of Sewaddle, Cottonee, Munna and Cubchoo. Little kids riding Deerling and playing Whack-a-Sandile (I sure hope those crocs get paid well). Patrat dancing and being balanced on a guy. A Pidove performance with a ladder. Vanillite-shaped ice-creams. A lot of effort was put into the little details and it really shows. And now for something not-so-interesting: Trip. What the--oh, for fuck's sake. Ash's Badge Case clearly has indentations in it for the game Badges, yet Trip's doesn't. Why do they feel the need to make up Badges, anyway? I fail to see the need.

Here we go, the man of the hour's here. With an Officer Jenny. Dare I ask what he did? Herdier seems to like him enough, though. And now he's being threatened with handcuffs. Like I said in the preview topic, I doubt it's the first time Alder's been in that situation. Also, he does have extra Poké Balls on him. I was worried that didn't carry over to this continuity. But since they lock in this 'verse when there's more than six...ideas, anyone? Okie-doke, let's see this battle. Pikachu attacks, attacks, attacks...we'll probably see the whole strategic 'strike when the time is right' thing aga--oh. Oh. My. God. Well played, writers, well played. Lookit Trip's 'what the flying fuck' face. The battle resumes with Bouffalant's Head Charge, but the buffalo turns and...bahahaha! Brilliant! Hear that sound? That'd be Trip's childhood shattering. Ouch. Wow, ragequit much, Trip?

How about that, all it takes is an apple to smooth things out with Alder and Bouffalant. By the looks of things, Alder could do with some lunch, too. Pfft. To the Pokémon Centre now, where Alder makes a Nurse Joy so uncomfortable that she literally distances herself from him. I'd like to know what he said to her. Talking happens, then the Nurse Joy returns with news of a rampaging Gigalith! Time for some badassery. Or not, as Alder's attempt to placate the Gigalith fails epically. Officer Jenny readies her Herdier to Shadow Ball, but gets interrupted. Alrighty, there it is, Alder flipping a 260kg Pokémon with the greatest of ease. Surely a feat of Chuck Norris proportions. Oh, what's this? Gigalith's got a nail stuck in it. Nail gets removed and all is well. I'm not gonna ask why the Gigalith came down on Jenny like that. Anyhoo, Gigalith exits stage left, the sun sets and the twerps leave.

Yeah, Alder's definately my favourite Champion now. So much character to him... I've gotta say, it'd be interesting for him to show up again when shit gets real and see how that plays out.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom