• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW058: A Brotherly Battle between Dent and Pod! Baoppu VS Yanappu

I read that as the anime's not-so subtle way of telling us that Ash is not allowed to win with type advantages in this series. So that this somehow justifies his dumbass decisions the other 90% of the time when he battles, and probably to "justify" his poor choices in his upcoming battle against Clay.

I'm sure there's some storyline reasons for this too because Chili needed a win, but you'd think they'd just have Ash stay the course and use like, Snivy or Swadloon or something. And then show that type logic is actually not a bad thing. But then people might read that as Chili getting a cheap win.

In that case, they should've had Ash go the neutral route with something that's not strong or weak against fire. But that's too sensible. Even in a great episode like this, BW logic can't resist fucking things up juuuuust a little bit.

I really enjoyed seeing Chili again, I'm getting REALLY sick of the treatment my favorite little sea otter Pokemon is getting lately! The only purpose Oshawott had in this episode was being a victim of another loss so the writers could prove Chili is not weak. I swear they better throw him in the battle against Clay and have him defeat Paplpitoad or Krokorok.

I'm sure there's some storyline reasons for this too because Chili needed a win, but you'd think they'd just have Ash stay the course and use like, Snivy or Swadloon or something. And then show that type logic is actually not a bad thing. But then people might read that as Chili getting a cheap win.

This episode was about Pod, not Ash. So by showing that Pod could beat a water-type (which has a full resistance to fire; compared to Dento's Yanappu, Ishizumai, and Stunfisk) is probably the reason why they chose Oshawott. So I guess they figure if Pod can beat a water-type, he's good to go.

I really enjoyed seeing Chili again, I'm getting REALLY sick of the treatment my favorite little sea otter Pokemon is getting lately! The only purpose Oshawott had in this episode was being a victim of another loss so the writers could prove Chili is not weak. I swear they better throw him in the battle against Clay and have him defeat Paplpitoad or Krokorok.

I love Oshawott too, but it was nice to see Chili finally win something. And against a type disadvantage made it pretty awesome, too. After seemingly being the worst trainer of the Striaton Trio, I'm glad Chili started to finally redeem himself battle-wise. Even if he IS still probably the worst trainer of the three, lol.

I love Oshawott too, but it was nice to see Chili finally win something. And against a type disadvantage made it pretty awesome, too. After seemingly being the worst trainer of the Striaton Trio, I'm glad Chili started to finally redeem himself battle-wise. Even if he IS still probably the worst trainer of the three, lol.
But it didn't prove nothing
Chili was the weakest among Striaton trio & still is the Weakest
Now it's completely proved that Chili's the weakest
But we still don't know who's the strongest among them
May be it would have been better if Cress beat Clian but he got knock down by chili
Then it would have been a perfect balance
Plus why Clian having cool battle victory while Ash getting boring battle victory
The Formidable way Clian battle & the confident expression that he have during battle
I wanna see the confident expression on Ash, I want Ash to look as formidable as Clian looks during his Battle (specially when Ash battling Trip).
Why on earth they wasting all this on Clian ?

That what bugging me the most
Plus , When the last time oshaotte have any win, It seem like Ash's weakest pokemon now & it seem Oshaotte only purpose is to become a comie relief

This episode was about Pod, not Ash.

Yeah, I realize that. Just saying, judging by some reactions in here, having Oshawott being the buttmonkey here was not optimal. The real best scenario would be for the writers to not make Oshawott a limelight-stealing fuck-up in the first place, so then having Oshawott lose here wouldn't be a big deal and Chili would still have his meaningful win.

Unfortunately, nobody can travel back in time to rectify the several mistakes the writers have made with BW to this point, so this is what we're stuck with. Honestly, it doesn't really bother me that much because I don't really care much for Oshawott either way. Knocking it down a peg here will probably mean more future spotlight for the "redemption", especially since it's confirmed to be used against Clay now. Sigh.

All that aside, they worked with what they had and made a great episode out of it. I really wish more BW episodes were like this.

What a rare treat. Character development in BW... If only they did this more often.

A little disappointed that Pansage learned Rock Tomb off-screen. It seems that the writers believe that Cilan is "too good" to show any sense of improvement on-screen.

I really enjoyed seeing Chili again, I'm getting REALLY sick of the treatment my favorite little sea otter Pokemon is getting lately! The only purpose Oshawott had in this episode was being a victim of another loss so the writers could prove Chili is not weak.

The writers decided to give Pansear the advantage before the battle even began with the whole "it learning a Grass-type attack" thing and with Ash sending out a Water-type pokemon.

Of course, Pansear is now fully adept at battling Water, Ground, and Rock-type pokemon-- all three of its weaknesses-- by learning this Grass-type attack. Pansear defeating Oshawott here is a testament that it can hold its own against pokemon with type advantages over it.

But at least Oshawott's loss in this battle was justified in that it did face up against a Grass-type attack. Oshawott fought and lost to a Darmanitan nine episodes ago that only knew Fire-type attacks.

Last edited:
Stupid good for nothing writer.
If they wanted Pod to get some respect they could use Clian & Cress.
Why the hell they have to use Ash as a Punching bag ?
I don't know want kind of freaking art they trying to Create by making Ash lose so much But Cut It Out.
I don't wait week after week , Week after Week just to see Ash getting his butt kick various way .
That's why Pokemon start to suck so much , that's why pokemon Anime has 10 year of odd time & still having odd time .
Because Writer tries to show Ash's inferiority too much .Because they never show Ash as formidable trainer . Because they only show Ash as Inferior or Normal nobody trainer for a major amount of time of a series.
Probably because they think Pokemon gonna lose its popularity if Ash become a Formidable & Famous Trainer . They practically never watch anime like Prince of Tennis so they don't know that just because main character is formidable & famous doesn't mean the show is over.
It is hard enough the fact that Ash gonna spend rest of the series trying to catch up to a trainer called Trip who barely start his journey. Now with this unnesseary defect, Seriously Are Writer/Director trying to Add Salt into fire.
Its not like they gonna bring a suitable rival for Ash ,NO,
What They gonna do ? They gonna force Trip on to us by making him Superior & Ash Inferior.
I bet Next time Ash battle Trip ,he gonna lose horribly. Then Trip gonna leave saying ''Kento sucks''.
If they really want Pod to get some respect, there are much better ways. Same thing goes for Kenny.
But oh no, Writer Decide to use Ash as a bait .
May be they want people to dislike Ash so they can replace him & bring a girl so they can write a ''Shujo anime'' . After all AG series was totally like a ''Shujo Anime'' .
I'm totally convince now, Pokemon Anime is written by the most idiotic bunch of Writer & it probably directed by the most stupid director .
I'm so angry & I'm so wish I say all this directly to them .

Has Oshawott came out of its Pokeball and Ash chose it, just for it to win? Or has it lost all the time?

If Oshawott has never won (although even if it did win, the theory could still apply since it lost recently doing that quite frequently) then maybe Oshawott is going to get some serious character development in the future. By coming out when IT wants to and costing Ash a match isn't doing Ash any favors, and if Oshawott wins when Ash sends it out, as opposed to Oshawott sending itself out, MAYBE it will learn to not come out unless it's chosen, and will maybe become more mature about it.

And then Pikachu can learn stuff too, instead of forcing Ash to choose it because Pikachu wants to battle

Has Oshawott came out of its Pokeball and Ash chose it, just for it to win? Or has it lost all the time?

Oshawott sent himself out, just as he had done during the Darmanitan battle. I feel that Oshawott is a little too cocky when Ash is paired up against Fire-types, but even after learning Aqua Jet, it had lost to them twice.

Oshawott sent himself out, just as he had done during the Darmanitan battle. I feel that Oshawott is a little too cocky when Ash is paired up against Fire-types, but even after learning Aqua Jet, it had lost to them twice.

That's not what I was asking. I was asking has Oshawott ever won a battle when it sent itself out? I look what I wrote, and realize I didn't ask properly. Sorry about that.

To be fair though, remember how whored out it was in the first 35 episodes? I really don't mind it being the guy who gets beaten if it means that other Pokémon (with like, no battling records such as Hatohbo and Dangoro) don't get beaten.

I'm happy to see another training episode along with character development! I really hope it continues with all the other characters especially the trainer who has Kibago.

Great episode, nothing more needs to be said mainly because it's already been said.

I've come to the conclusion that Pod is a big eater of sweet things due to his childish nature.

After that scene of Pod eating doughnuts there's been fanart of Pod with doughnuts popping up on sites like Pixiv (some which are cute). This is so going to be a new crack pairing.

So, we get to see the other 2/3s of the FAB-U-LOUS waiter brothers, some nice character development for Chili, and monkeys. Awesome.

I loved when Panseer and Pansage remeet and shook hands, what a bro-monkey moment.

Hm, so Chili's been losing battle after battle lately? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ash's first trainer victory in this arc against Chili? ....wow, way to dumb down what seemed like a legitimately good battle writers. :V

I swear, I need to keep a recording of "Eye of the Tiger" on hand when the new episodes come out, someone on the writing staff seems to love Stallone movies.

....and while I'm at it, a copy of the Weird Al parody "Rye or the Kaiser" for when Chili shows up. Guy seems to love his pastries.

Yeah Ash, that's what you GET for trying to use type advantage, you should NEVER use type advantages because it's a cheap attempt to win, and it's libel to get you a karmic defeat, just like back in the Don Tournament where Iris exploited type advantage against your Pikachu using Excadrill and got a curbstomp win!... ... ...wait...

Last edited:
I adore the lurker Pod in the shaded corner at the start, it was adorable, although Pod was so cute throughout.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of a battle between Pod and Dento at the end, but I guess there wasn't enough time. Amazing character development too for Chili, and I'm glad we have an episode focusing on him, as the Anime crafted his character quite well, for me, at least.

I'm glad Pod defeated someone, like Ash, who had beaten him before, and this time Ash had a type-advantage unlike last time, when he had Tepig. It was rather beneficial to the self-confidence Chili needed.

Cress ringing up was a sweet touch, fair play to the writers for that.

A rarity episode that I wished was longer, I honestly did.

THIS EPISODE. MADE ME SO HAPPY.
@Highway Unicorn had to endure my feelings. I put my real-time reactions in spoilers, because I'm embarrassing and ridiculous.

[3:30:03 PM] Aestivate: Ooh, the raw is up
[3:30:04 PM] Aestivate: finally
[3:33:34 PM] Aestivate: DSFSADJFL
[3:33:37 PM] Aestivate: satoshi is refereeing
[3:33:38 PM] Aestivate: what is going on
[3:34:24 PM] Aestivate: BOTH OF THEM ARE SPARKLING
[3:34:26 PM] Aestivate: WHY
[3:35:17 PM] Highway Unicorn: OMG THAT EPISODE
[3:35:18 PM] Highway Unicorn: WAS SO WONDERFUL
[3:35:30 PM] Aestivate: I AM SO
[3:35:31 PM] Highway Unicorn: EVEN THEIR MONKEYS ARE BROS
[3:35:37 PM] Aestivate: I AM WATCHING THEIR FIRST BATTLE
[3:35:38 PM] Aestivate: AND I AM
[3:35:39 PM] Aestivate: SLADKJFLF
[3:35:44 PM] Highway Unicorn: their first battle was so good
[3:36:09 PM] Aestivate: pod you are so cute
[3:36:09 PM] Aestivate: omg
[3:36:11 PM] Aestivate: can i take him home with me
[3:36:25 PM] Highway Unicorn: JUST WAIT GKLAJSGDHK
[3:36:39 PM] Aestivate: lfkjdsjfad WHAT
[3:36:41 PM] Aestivate: POD YOU ARE SO
[3:36:42 PM] Aestivate: CAN I
[3:36:45 PM] Aestivate: YOU ARE SO ADORABLE
[3:37:01 PM] Aestivate: CORN
[3:37:04 PM] Aestivate: COOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRNNNN
[3:37:06 PM] Aestivate: <33
[3:37:11 PM] Aestivate: POD
[3:37:15 PM] Aestivate: WHAT.
[3:37:17 PM] Aestivate: WHYYY
[3:37:30 PM] Aestivate: THESE TRIPLETS MAKE ME SO HAPPY
[3:37:58 PM] Aestivate: OMG THIS SCENE
[3:38:46 PM] Aestivate: omg
[3:38:46 PM] Highway Unicorn: omg i know
[3:38:48 PM] Aestivate: the brotherly love
[3:38:49 PM] Aestivate: OH MY GOD
[3:38:52 PM] Highway Unicorn: that part with them talking is so cute
[3:39:01 PM] Aestivate: omg
[3:39:03 PM] Aestivate: dent talking about his brothers
[3:39:05 PM] Aestivate: is so
[3:39:05 PM] Aestivate: sweet
[3:39:06 PM] Aestivate: and i'm just
[3:39:11 PM] Aestivate: all of my life is laskjdfk
[3:39:19 PM] Aestivate: DENT KNOWS WHERE POD IS BECAUSE THEY'RE BROTHERS
[3:39:22 PM] Aestivate: AND POD IS EATING HIS LIFE AWAY
[3:39:33 PM] Aestivate: omg pod and doughnuts
[3:40:06 PM] Aestivate: omg dent why
[3:40:10 PM] Aestivate: he's saying how precious they are
[3:40:14 PM] Aestivate: because they're brothers
[3:40:16 PM] Aestivate: and i'm like
[3:40:17 PM] Aestivate: please don't do this to me
[3:40:43 PM] Aestivate: pod's depression montage
[3:40:46 PM] Aestivate: i want to give him a hug
[3:41:50 PM] Highway Unicorn: poor cress
[3:41:53 PM] Aestivate: THE MONKEYS ARE SUCH BROS
[3:41:53 PM] Highway Unicorn: forever alone at the gym
[3:42:26 PM] Aestivate: d'awwwwww
[3:42:27 PM] Aestivate: d'awwww
[3:42:32 PM] Aestivate: baoppu/pod scene is SO CUTEEEEE
[3:42:34 PM] Aestivate: I JUST
[3:42:36 PM] Aestivate: ALL OF MY FEELINGS
[3:43:01 PM] Aestivate: ...rockets go away so i can triplets ;___;
[3:43:11 PM] Highway Unicorn: don't tell the rockets what to do
[3:43:13 PM] Aestivate: BUT
[3:43:15 PM] Aestivate: PODDDDDDD
[3:43:33 PM] Highway Unicorn: HE HAD HIS TIME
[3:43:36 PM] Highway Unicorn: AND HE WILL GET MORE
[3:44:34 PM] Aestivate: and dent is getting his due
[3:45:23 PM] Aestivate: OMG DENT
[3:45:30 PM] Aestivate: WHY ARE YOU MAKING MY CAFEMOCHASHIPPING FANGIRL SCREAM
[3:45:40 PM] Aestivate: he learns ~balance~ from satoshi
[3:45:44 PM] Highway Unicorn: LKJGHALKDGJHADSLKGJ
[3:45:53 PM] Aestivate: I WONDER WHAT OTHER TYPES OF BALANCE YOU FIND IN YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF SATOSHI, DENT
[3:45:54 PM] Aestivate: SFDLKJDSFLFS
[3:46:10 PM] Highway Unicorn: he learns about unique tastes

It was really, really, really awesome to see Dent show off what he learned on his travels to help his brother. +1 for dent character development, +1 for adorable brotherly love scenes (the monkeys didn't get away from this either - baoppu and yanappu are SO cute when they interact), +3234983298 for Pod development too. And Pod was such an adorable woobie AND OF COURSE HIS DEPRESSION FOOD HAS TO BE A FUCKTON OF DOUGHNUTS. Dent's "kyoudai" talk after his conversation with Corn made me squeal like a banshee IRL.
My response when the episode announced was "ALL OF MY FEELINGS!"

And now, after watching it, it is still...

"ALL OF MY FEELINGS SLKJFLDJKSLF!~"

Last edited:
Ehh, just a slightly above average episode to me. Sure the brothers are all interesting characters, and their monkey trio [I really wish I could use the words ''monkey trio'' more often when talking about anything really...} are entertaining as well, but the episode felt a bit... well flat. The battles, like many battles in Best Wishes sadly, didn't have much oomph to them, and while the animation wasn't terrible, it still wasn't very good. Ash loss to Chili isn't too surprising, because really, Ash always seems to lose a battle just before he takes on a gym in Best Wishes.

judging by the reactions and the pictures up on Serebii, I think I'm probably going to enjoy this episode a lot. It sounds pretty cool.

But I'm also with some of the posters here who are dissapointed with Ash being used just to give a win to Chili. I wish they would stop going out of their way to give Ash all these losses, as if there's some "loss" quota they need to fulfill to make sure he doesn't come off as too good. He beat Chili before, and losing now, with a type advantage, suddenly makes it seem like his previous win was just a fluke or something (reminds me of AG when they had Ash rebattle and lose to Watson) If they really needed to give Chili a win, why didn't they just have him re-battle Cilan, or battle Iris? I think either one of them would have been better to take a plot necissary loss to Chili than Ash would.

Ok... hands down... I think it's safe to say... my favourite Best Wishes episode so far.

Good Points

+ Pod: I loved him in his first two episodes but here he was just adorable. He was entertaining in his hilariousness, compelling in his struggles and I cared about him and his problems. I loved the expressions, the fire behind him, him getting red in anger like his Baoppu, him being apologetic, him eating donuts. He just... worked.

+ Dent: OMG, he was just hilarious, but I loved that the writers made this episode about him being a sommelier and also about what he's learning from Satoshi and are kinda addressing what they set up at the very beginning of BW. They had touched upon why Dent was traveling with Satoshi and what he was learning from him in the Archen episode, but here it was just a great plot point.

+ Baoppu/Yanappu: Loved the dynamics between the two and I loved that the writers really pushed the personalities in this episode when it came to these two and right from the start when they shake hands. They just felt like they were really close and they were both super personable.

+ Bromance: I liked the interactions between the brothers and how different they are yet similar at the same time and really seem to care about one another. It was really sweet to see it and be reminded of that side of Dent.

+ Satoshi: He was entertaining with the refereeing and I'm not really bothered by the loss cause they didn't dumb down Satoshi just to make Pod look good, both gave it their all, it was close in the end. Because they made some very positive comments about him and his training style, I don't feel he came off looking bad from this loss.

+ Iris: She was silent and absent from the screen for the overwhelming majority of the episode. This was a great creative choice on the writers' part. Same goes for Kibago whom I don't think talked in the entire episode. We need this more often. :p

+ Rocky reference: lulzy!

Loved the ep, I want more Pod and more Dent episodes in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom