• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW058: A Brotherly Battle between Dent and Pod! Baoppu VS Yanappu

I love Oshawott too, but it was nice to see Chili finally win something. And against a type disadvantage made it pretty awesome, too. After seemingly being the worst trainer of the Striaton Trio, I'm glad Chili started to finally redeem himself battle-wise. Even if he IS still probably the worst trainer of the three, lol.

Using Oshawott as the punching bag though was a pretty bad decision though because when you think about it, well for starters beating Ash really doesn't prove much here other than Pansear can win with a type disadvantage(though the type isn't everything thing is getting a bit annoying now) And lastly Oshawott is in need of redemption after being the butt monkey/punching bag of the team for a good amount of time now. Sure it gave Chili redemption after losing in the series to Ash, Trip, Burgundy, and now Cilan...But Cilan is clearly the better trainer at the moment and it would've proved a bit more if Chili was able to defeat his brother and I think its clear that Cilan is better than Chili.

This episode was pure bishionen. An utter crapfest due to it having almost nothing for male viewers. The EleMonkeys, continuity with Chili losing, a little Cress and SolarBeam used by a Fire-type(finally!) were the only, if barely redeemable qualities.

I do want a Cress episode, though(with NO SPARKLES, NO SPECIAL LIGHTING, NO DOUGHNUTS AND NO CHILI)

Score:1/11 Bishonen score:11/11

I think this has been the first time that it really affected the plot in some way, but I am glad that Cilan's connoisseur skills were put to the test here. The biggest complaint I had about Cilan's character in the past was that he was given these talents but had very little opportunities to apply them.

It was nice to see that Cilan was able to improve Chili's relationship with his own pokemon.

Regardless, I still did not like how Cilan's Pansage learned a new attack off-screen just to prove a point to Chili about learning to counter pokemon with type advantages as a sign of improvement. Rock Tomb is a fine move for Pansage to have and it allows the pokemon to counter two more of its weaknesses, but it feels cheap considering that Cilan's Pansage hardly displayed any signs of struggle or disadvantage on-screen to justify the pokemon learning that move.

At least, when you compare Pansage to the several pokemon Ash and Iris had on them that actually had to work hard to learn new attacks, it just goes to show that the writers want Cilan's screentime to be put at the minimum. The writers felt that this episode was the best way for Cilan's pokemon to improve without forcing Cilan himself into a situation where his pokemon could desperately need the improvement.

Alas, Cilan is the instant expert and everybody else around him must learn under his instruction.

I do want a Cress episode, though(with NO SPARKLES, NO SPECIAL LIGHTING, NO DOUGHNUTS AND NO CHILI)

Why would Cress need an episode if he clearly has nothing to improve on? At least Chili was brought back because the writers reminded the viewers that he lost a lot of battles lately.

Last edited:
Best Wishes has been great the past two weeks! Let's hope it stays this way. Really adored today's episode. I especially enjoyed the interaction between Yanappu and Baoppu. They are so cute. I love how similar Baoppu and Corn are to each other, even if they had their little disagreement. The training scenes were excellent as well!

I can't believe they didn't debut a single new Pokemon. This is shocking.

I think we'd see Chili use something new.

Best Wishes has been going through debuts pretty fast, so it's a nice slow down for no debuts even for one episode.

Hnnng, this episode. So cute. <3

Seeing as the next two episodes are featuring three debuts of legendary-status Pokemon, I think that justifies there not being any new species debuts for this episode. It already had enough going for it as it is; as certain past episodes that tried to establish backstory and pretend to have character development and do a bunch of other shit on top of debuting a new species have proved that too many cooks can spoil the soup.

This episode was fine as it was. Honestly, if they tried to fit in the Rock Tomb thing, I bet it would come off as really rushed and there'd still be complaining. Still, I can suspend disbelief because Cilan is/was a freaking Gym Leader, no doubt Pansage is his top dog, and Pansage has proved to hold its own in battle on several occasions so we know it's not a baby who can barely put up a fight. And since Cilan's a sidekick and this move was pulled up for storyline purposes for this one episode, I don't believe it's that big a deal. It's not like we get to see Pansage shine that often, so I'll take what I can get.

And if Oshawott lost due to Solarbeam, then I can more easily accept that sort of defeat. Anything that shows type logic working is a fucking miracle for this show.

Because Writer tries to show Ash's inferiority too much .Because they never show Ash as formidable trainer . Because they only show Ash as Inferior or Normal nobody trainer for a major amount of time of a series.
Don't want to argue over every single point but in a nutshell:
Guess who defeated a Darkrai when none of the Sinnoh Gym leaders could beat it?

I know that writers can get all crazy but the fact is, they have to do it if they want to run the show (unless they have some better ideas).

Seeing as the next two episodes are featuring three debuts of legendary-status Pokemon, I think that justifies there not being any new species debuts for this episode.

Its very odd to me that they didn't debut anything. You'd think Chili or Cress would have a new pokemon by now.

They don't have to debut a new Pokemon every episode. Cress didn't show any of his Pokemon, and I think Chili has enough trouble trying to raise Pansear, another Pokemon would just add to his problems.

Who said they had to? Besides, this isn't the first Unova ep where this has happened.

I think the only other ep that didn't debut any new pokemon was the finale of the Don battle tournament, but there it was understandable as it was just all battles between established characters. And Snivy's debut ep might be the only other ep...but that was it.

I find it bizarre that Gym leaders seemingly only have 1 pokemon each? I was actually looking forward to Chili having something new, I understand the focus on the monkeys though.

I think the only other ep that didn't debut any new pokemon was the finale of the Don battle tournament, but there it was understandable as it was just all battles between established characters. And Snivy's debut ep might be the only other ep...but that was it.
Well, you have to keep in mind the writers have a smaller pool of Pokémon to work with in this arc, so not having debuts every single episode makes sense.

Don't want to argue over every single point but in a nutshell:
Guess who defeated a Darkrai when none of the Sinnoh Gym leaders could beat it?

I know that writers can get all crazy but the fact is, they have to do it if they want to run the show (unless they have some better ideas).
Ya, But Is he seem like the trainer now who beat a Darkrai ?
I mean during DP, Did it felt like that Ash as Trainer who beat the Orange league & Battle Frontier ?
Even During AG, Peple just get nut over Drew & May but what about Ash ? a Completely a Nobody . Even in his own region people Know Who May & Drew is just by looking at their face but Ash still has to say ''Hi, I'm Ash Ketchum , I was the Top 8 in Ever grand conference !''.
I know Character development's are great But may be It would been better if Ash personality Develop someone character rather then being Brock & Clian's assistant .
I mean when even a character need development then it always up to Brock, Clian or A Rival.
I'm so fed up with it .
May it's time Ash personally start helping in developing other people character just like how Zoey & Drew help develop Dawn & May's character .
May be This anime get more rating if Ash able to make very close friendship with Difficult Minded People & If Ash able to turn Bad guys into good guys.
I mean Team Aqua & Magma change the way because of what happen ,not because of Ash.
Plus most of Team Galactic member went to jail.
And Instate of turning J & Cyrus into good guy, The writer Practically killed them !
I mean, May be people like if Ash convince Cyrus that this world is fine as it it , This world is not worth destroying.
And People would if Ash & J had a final show down where Ash change her rather then get her killed.

I got some HoYay vibres from that Chili/Cress scene, but otherwise it was a great episode. I especially loved how Cilan taught Chili that he shouldn't spam same-type moves all the time. Pansear Solarbeam training was extremely adorable as well.

So Pod could get his dues? Miju hesitated, so Baoppu was a) legitimately a threat to it, b) too quick for the uptake.

Can I sat about how much I loved the bromance in this episode? It was great to see Dent's sweeter side helping out Pod, his brother. Surely even if you aren't fond of Dent you would have found that moment sweet? It was one of the things I was hoping to see in this episode.

I loved seeing Dent using his Pokémon Sommelier skills to help out the relation between Pod and Baopp (something else I was hoping to see) We've been seeing Dent show-off, seeing his smug, pretty childish and over-dramatic side for a while now so to see his more helpful and relaxed side was great.

Pod and Baopp have a lot in common with each other just like Dent and Yanapp is brilliant. Even the way Yanapp was reasoning with Baopp was similar to the way Dent was reasoning with Pod. In fact, I'm not sure, but did Iris and Satoshi both actually point this out? Yanapp is the Pokémon version of Dent and Baopp is the Pokémon version of Pod (I bet this is the same for Corn and Hiyapp as well).

Last edited:
They don't have to debut a new Pokemon every episode. Cress didn't show any of his Pokemon, and I think Chili has enough trouble trying to raise Pansear, another Pokemon would just add to his problems.

Not only that, but Pansear is just one of those few BW pokemon that had very little screentime and focus in past episodes. We have pokemon like Blitzle, Deerling, Pidove, Tranquill, and Patrat making appearances all of the time in BW. However, when we exclude the appearances made by Chili's Pansear, this species had only appeared for two cameos.

Why didn't Mijumaru just block the Solar Beam attack with his hotachi? -_-

It was a plot device. Chili and Pansear had to win that battle so that they would be willing to go back to the Striation City Gym.

This was a good eppy. xD

Pod-I always thought, he would be the funnest of the three Sanyou Leaders cause he was so fiery and heated up for battle and stuff. I liked seeing him develop and change and grow throughout this episode, I wish he could have taken a larger role in training Baoppu, but meh Bagons can't be Chanseys. I thought it was funny how he turned red and got all giddy over toward Corn at the Sanyou Gym and how he went on a journey and left the gym to get stronger, I defiantly hope to see more of him in the future. Hugging scene at end of battle was cute xD His "Brother Solar Beam" scene with Pod was cool.

Dento-He was good this episode too, I liked that they played Victini's Liberty Garden music during the scene where they were all "feeling the sun", and how he used his A-Class Sommelier abilities to solve all Pod and Baoppu's problems. The liked the training for sure and how things went on for him explaining the bond of trainer and Pokemon. I liked how he played such close attention.

Yanappu and Baoppu-Ugh. Disappointed Yanappu supposedly already knew "Rock Tomb" it was just cheap, and forced and just so wrong for Yanappu to even have that move to begin with, and absolute bull crap no one mentioned so or didn't seem to notice, without Rock Tomb Nitro Charge would have gotten Yanappu. I did like the hand shaking scene between the two at the beginning, and I liked how Baoppu threw a fit. I liked the training session with all the Pokes, that push-up scene gave me deja vu . I thought it was cute how they were all working hard, and the Solar Beam training was nice since a lot of fully evolved Fire Types can use Solar Beam, it was nice to see that expressed in the show. He really worked hard.

Iris-Haha, thought that snarky little scene with her and Satoshi was cute. I thought it was sweet she complimented Satoshi making a smart choice in Mijumaru a Water-Type Pokemon to combat Baoppu. I loved how she told Kibago to participate also. She really enjoyed the battle, and I liked seeing her so excited.

Mijumaru-I still love that cute lil' otter and he still is my favorite Isshu starter, trained, balanced wins and looses, personality(loved seeing him so fiery to win), and development and room for a lot more development. I defiantly think he deserved that win. I loved the music when he was Shell Blading Baoppu. There were defiantly a lot of bullshit moments in that battle where it was obvious the writers were on Pod's side. REALLY? Using Tackle to counter Nitro Charge? That was bullshit on a bun. BECAUSE IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, WRITERS. Back when Shimama and Mijumaru battled, Mijumaru used AQUA JET to counter Nitro Charge. Fire Punch evening out with Aqua Jet? -_- The worst part of it all was at the end "Solar Beam" ok, Satoshi orders Mijumaru to dodge. Ok, DID SATOSHI AND MIJUMARU FORGET THAT HIS "hotachi" can BLOKE Solar Beam? He did the same thing against Yanappu back in Sanyou Gym easily, and quick enough he even had the damn shell in his hand. But, no absolute bullshit he stood there and let himself get hit. The writers having Mijumaru play the victim and the pawn once again got on my nerves, especially against a trainer supposedly on a losing streak and they made Mijumaru and Satoshi idiots at times during the whole battle,basically nothing but death fodder from the start. Liked the expression he made after losing though. I do hope that eventually they do a follow up on Mijumaru's fear of battling sometimes, and he gets more development a new move(and not in th.e Yanappu way either :p) haha, I love that little precocious brat.

Satoshi-He was acting really really weird at times with that second battle but, he was great with the crappy battle judging. Sticking to his typical Shonen behavior. Even though he lost, him and Miju are lovable losers. Too bad he was made into Pod's rag toy. Thank God, we saw him training his Pokemon at the beginning of the eppy so his victories in the future feel realistic, keep it up writers!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom