• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW058 - Dent and Pod, The Brothers Battle! Baoppu VS Yanappu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smash Preview

- Pikachu uses Electro Ball
- Snivy Leaf Blades some targets
- Pansear and Pansage use Solar Beam.
- Tepig is here as well.
- Chili comes and Cilan is surprised to see him.
- Cilan orders Pansage to use that move that was in the previews, Rock Tomb.
- Pansear is on the ground for some reason, I think he's sick.
- Pansear uses Fire Blast I think.
- Pansear uses Solarbeam itself.

I think Cilan said Rock Tomb.

Last edited:
What aired during the preview of Pokemon Smash
- Pikachu uses Electro Ball and Snivy uses Leaf Blade to destroy targets inside a building.
- Pansage and Pansear use Solarbeam at the same time in the air. This is probably Pansage teaching Pansear how to use the attack.
- Chili appears and tells Cilan that it has been a while since they last saw one another.
- Chili gets angry and challenges Cilan to a battle.
- Pansear uses Fire Blast.
- Cilan orders Pansage to use Rock Tomb.
- Pansage uses Dig to attack Pansear.
- Both pokemon launch their completed Solarbeams at one another during the rematch.

- Both pokemon launch their completed Solarbeams at one another during the rematch.

No they don't, they do it at the start of the preview, but near the end, it's just Pansear.

Here's the preview.

12月4日のポケモンスマッシュでのアニポケBW予告 - YouTube

Yep.

Pansage: Rock Tomb.
Pansear: Fire Blast.

So, Pansear has Flamethrower, Fire Punch, Dig.

Now it'll know Solar Beam, Flame Charge and Fire Blast.

And it looks like Pansage and Pansear are doing training, Pansear wasn't hurt, he was just doing a push-up, my bad.

Masakazu Morita~~! I also lol'd at Pod's command for Fire Blast! XD

Jeez. When that boy does something, he puts his whole self into it, huh? A full-body attack order?

Oh Chili. <3

Hahaha! Chili's Fire Blast pose! Fabulousness really does run in the family, huh?

Chili certainly has a fiery personality, based on his attack commands.

Huh, wonder if Ash is training his pokes or just using them to help train Chili's?

Chili's body is ready for that fireblast.

and so am i, for this episode XD

I'm pretty pissed that Ash's Pokemon are in this at all. :| It has nothing to do with him.

Also my body has been ready for this episode since episode five. |3

I've been ready since I was born!

Wait a tick...

Playerking said:
Here's the preview.

OMG THIS LOOKS EVEN MORE AWESOME THAN BEFORE. The training sequence is so cute XD

Yanappu hasn't trained, hasn't struggled as a character.

That's absolutely true, but that doesn't make learning a new move cheap. Does it give Yanappu a victory it didn't earn? No, the battle between Yanappu and Baoppu, from the previews, looks heated, definitely not a cakewalk, but still ends with Yanappu getting what seems to be a good win it could have gotten with or without the new move. Does it go against previous characterization in a way that breaks suspension of disbelief? No. Yanappu was good at battling, it was shown to be able to handle some good moves, it learns a new move when it was shown to be able to handle that level of move, so it's totally consequent with what came before, much like Pokabu and Pikachu. Is the end result a win that isn't earned? Not really, Pod has a string of defeat and doesn't communicate well with Baoppu, which is a character flaw, and that flaw needs to lead to cost them something, so they can learn from it and grow as characters. Which is exactly what's supposed to happen in good storytelling.

But ultimately, whatever development they get will not come through personal struggles and hardships that will require tons of hours of training to overcome, since he's already good. It's gonna come through interacting with other characters, and this week's episode is a prime example of that. We get to see more facets from Yanappu's personality and the way he interacts with other pokémon. Same for Dent who will get the chance to help a trainer and a pokémon connect and become better battlers and better partners, which is exactly what his job as a sommelier entails. Again, Dent's development will not come through hours or training but through interactions with other characters and helping them, mentoring them. The Flaw/hurdle --> Struggle and/or Hard Work --> Solving of the flaw --> New Move/Power Up/Evolution model doesn't apply to all characters. While it is the model that should be followed when you have weak pokémon that strive to become stronger (like Satoshi and Iris' pokémon), it's not gonna be a valid model for a lot of characters who don't fill out the same role on the show, much like Dent and Yanappu who are more into the mentor category.

N

Where are the new pokemon debuts? Cilan's Hermit crab better evolve or something.

This goes with any thread, but unless there is significant evidence there will be a capture/evolution/release, we'd appreciate if all discussion of capture/evolution/release/etc. goes to its thread.

That's absolutely true, but that doesn't make learning a new move cheap. Does it give Yanappu a victory it didn't earn? No, the battle between Yanappu and Baoppu, from the previews, looks heated, definitely not a cakewalk, but still ends with Yanappu getting what seems to be a good win it could have gotten with or without the new move. Does it go against previous characterization in a way that breaks suspension of disbelief? No. Yanappu was good at battling, it was shown to be able to handle some good moves, it learns a new move when it was shown to be able to handle that level of move, so it's totally consequent with what came before, much like Pokabu and Pikachu. Is the end result a win that isn't earned? Not really, Pod has a string of defeat and doesn't communicate well with Baoppu, which is a character flaw, and that flaw needs to lead to cost them something, so they can learn from it and grow as characters. Which is exactly what's supposed to happen in good storytelling.

But ultimately, whatever development they get will not come through personal struggles and hardships that will require tons of hours of training to overcome, since he's already good. It's gonna come through interacting with other characters, and this week's episode is a prime example of that. We get to see more facets from Yanappu's personality and the way he interacts with other pokémon. Same for Dent who will get the chance to help a trainer and a pokémon connect and become better battlers and better partners, which is exactly what his job as a sommelier entails. Again, Dent's development will not come through hours or training but through interactions with other characters and helping them, mentoring them. The Flaw/hurdle --> Struggle and/or Hard Work --> Solving of the flaw --> New Move/Power Up/Evolution model doesn't apply to all characters. While it is the model that should be followed when you have weak pokémon that strive to become stronger (like Satoshi and Iris' pokémon), it's not gonna be a valid model for a lot of characters who don't fill out the same role on the show, much like Dent and Yanappu who are more into the mentor category.
Except, that we're seeing Baoppu and Pod whom seems to have gotten stronger. Have a type advantage and more then likely battle more on occasions then Yanappu or Dento. They seem to be connecting a ok in the battle, but, then boom. Yanappu is having no prob dealing with it's fiery adversary is dodging with no probs, and then *poof* out of no where he learns a move. Characters have to struggle, and need flaws and challenges in battles so we can root for them and support them. But, there's no challenge going on if Yanappu has no trouble the whole battle and miraculously pulls out a new move against an opponent it supposedly one-ups in the battle department. It's just cheap, bad, and just so wrong to give Yanappu powerful move after pulling a opponent it supposedly is stronger then through the ringer. Yanappu has to train and earn a new move, but *poof* it pulls off Rock Tomb/Natural Gift against an opponent significantly weaker opponent.

Dento may be more of a "supporting" character by the books. But, that's certainly far from the case. Dento has an active goal, Pokemon in need of training, has shown siginifance as a gym leader, and has a rival and a active goal. Takeshi was more of a supporting character, due to him not doing much and being more helpful toward Satoshi when he needed info, food, or help. Takeshi had eps there and there but, he certainly wasn't treated like Dento. Supporting character or not, that still does not excuse sloppy writing and undeserved power-ups. Characters, have to struggle and go through hardships so we can root for them in Dento's case that's not possible if the writers are going to have him side swipe a character and give him a power up after doing so. No, that's just poor writing. Training and hardworks, struggles, learning, growing, and sad moments and emotion are what make the overall development of a character, Yanappu developed in the new move department but, it was a hollow and poorly written development in this case. Which honestly makes me not care about it.

Except, that we're seeing Baoppu and Pod whom seems to have gotten stronger.

First off, I'm not sure if you saw the Pokémon Smash preview, but it was certainly implied that there would be two battles in this episode since in one, Baoppu is shown to use Solarbeam within the Battle Club facility. So, in the eventuality where the Nitro Charge vs Rock Tomb footage is coming from the second battle, the issue of the battle would be uncertain and the "Baoppu appears stronger" impression might be due to the training it will receive during the episode. The video's down now, but I'm wondering since Tepig appears, maybe Satoshi and Tepig are the ones to teach Baoppu Nitro Charge during the episode.

The whole premisse of the episode is that Pod and Baoppu have not gotten stronger. It's actually quite the opposite since their battle style is not working, because they're not really in synch. That's a character flaw. If they were able to pull off a win, that would be unearned and cheap. Battle strategies and mending bonds between trainer and Pokémon is Dent and Yanappu's strenght since Dento's job as a sommelier. The whole point of this episode is the brothers and their monkeys helping each other out. Dent helps Pod become a better trainer while Pod helps Dent practice his skills as a sommelier, while we see different sides to them and we see them interactions.

Yanappu has to train and earn a new move

If he's been shown to have the fighting prowess to be able to handle this new move and the move isn't used to circumvent solving a character flaw, why would it need to? While it would be interesting, it's not breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Dento has an active goal, Pokemon in need of training, has shown siginifance as a gym leader, and has a rival

Said active goal is being a better sommelier, which this episode looks to touch upon since Dent and Yanappu are training with Baoppu and Dent. His goal isn't to train his pokémon to be better battlers and make them stronger, get them to evolve. Dent and Yanappu are making strides towards their goal by helping Pod and Baoppu, that's development. In that light, Yanappu learning a new move is not only consistant with the previous portrayal of his abilities, but emotionally earned.

In the end, I'm not gonna change your mind and if you can't root or care about Dent, well that's your loss. I know next week's episode will be great and I'm looking forward to it.

It's showtime!

Per the Anime Rules at the top of the forum, this speculation thread will be closed. A review thread for this episode will be uploaded after the episode finishes airing. Do not make any new review threads during this time.

If you want to talk about the episode as it's airing, please head over to the IRC Chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom