• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW063: Trade Evolution! Chevargo and Agilder!!

I CAN'T believe what they have done !! I thought karrablast and shelmet evolve by exchanging the shell under certain conditions not just karablast somehow get a shelmets shell and shellmets shell suddenly disappear !!

I was hoping to see HOW karrablast and shelmet evolve exactly,I thought that after they are transferred the will stick with each other (as slowpoke and shellder does) and evolve not that shit. :(

Last edited:
I do think it was pretty silly to have each respective 'mon come out of the pokeball in it's pre-evolved form and then evolve. I could buy them evolving during the trade in some kooky 'The Fly' DNA shenanigans and then being released from their pokeballs as the evolved forms, but this way doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yeah, yeah, making sense is usually a moot point when it comes to this show, but come on.

I liked this episode, it was good and I was entertained.

The Good

+ Bel. Loved her interactions with Satoshi and Dent, as well as those with Araragi. She was super likeable and I like that we got to see her learn things and grow as a trainer, really earn the evolution and the new pokémon on her team. She had to work for it and prove herself, and she did. Most of the scenes that made me laugh and made me care about her story, made me want to see more of her.

+ Dent. I don't get tired of how expressive he is and I like how he tried to help and really seemed to care about Bel's problem. Bel and him provided all the comedy in the episode.

+ Satoshi. Same with Dent, he really seemed to care about Bel's problem and want to help her by battling her. He was a kid and a good friend, and that makes him very likeable in my book.

+ The Battle. The controversial part of the episode, it seems, but I'm tempted to ask... why? Honestly, I didn't feel that anyone left that battlefield looking bad. Yes, Satoshi lost, but only after he clearly displayed some really strong battling, and laying some hurt on the opposing team, and also displaying some skill as a trainer. He knew what was wrong with Bel, and he and Dent both knew what they had to do to help her. Bel herself learned how to handle a disobedient pokémon and earn its trust, so her and Araragi defeating Satoshi was earned (and it closed the gap between Bel and Satoshi making her a more viable rival) all the while making it clear she still has a lot to learn. Dent winning with Shell Smash + Rock Wrecker which had type advantage to beat Agilder was totally believable, and Chevargo had suffered more hits than Agilder, so the way the battle ended was totally believable.

Dento's not allowed to lose

Until today, he was 50% in winning percentage in trainer battles, today's win puts him at 57% well below both Satoshi and Iris who both are well over 60%. So, it's not like he's getting an indecent amount of wins.​

The Bad

- Giaru and Gigiaru plot. Wow... that was unnecessary and I really couldn't give a crap.

- Kibago. His scaring Chobomaki was just jerkish and unnecessary. The point was?

The problem with the battle is that Bel still hasn't gotten a single win on screen, while Dent didn't need a win. Ash losing isn't all that bad in my opinion, but we've seen that Dent is a powerful battler throughout Best Wishes. He just beat his brother in a battle like five episodes ago, with a type disadvantage.

He's a strong battler, Christ, we get it.

- Giaru and Gigiaru plot. Wow... that was unnecessary and I really couldn't give a crap.

Well, it was actually Giaru and Gigigiaru, not Giaru and Gigiaru, but given that Gigiaru and Gigigiaru are similar, it's understandable that you'd confuse the Gigigiaru hanging out with the Giaru as a Gigiaru, as the only difference between a Gigiaru and a Gigigiaru is the band around Gigigiaru, which Gigiaru lacks.

I do think it was pretty silly to have each respective 'mon come out of the pokeball in it's pre-evolved form and then evolve. I could buy them evolving during the trade in some kooky 'The Fly' DNA shenanigans and then being released from their pokeballs as the evolved forms, but this way doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yeah, yeah, making sense is usually a moot point when it comes to this show, but come on.

But isn't that how it happens in the games, they come out of their poke ball and then evolve

Well, it was actually Giaru and Gigigiaru, not Giaru and Gigiaru, but given that Gigiaru and Gigigiaru are similar, it's understandable that you'd confuse the Gigigiaru hanging out with the Giaru as a Gigiaru, as the only difference between a Gigiaru and a Gigigiaru is the band around Gigigiaru, which Gigiaru lacks.

Speaking of which, it was weird that there were not any Klang in this episode. Usually pokemon of the same evolutionary family are present together. Although there may have been only one Klinklang in the group, I find it unbelievable that there were absolutely no pokemon in the middle stage in that scene.

The problem with the battle is that Bel still hasn't gotten a single win on screen, while Dent didn't need a win.

True. The battle was set up as if Bianca and her new pokemon were starting to cooperate with one another despite their differences, which could have lead to a possible turnaround on their part. While they did learn to fight alongside one another, it wasn't enough for Bianca to secure a win with her new pokemon. What we have seen here is that teamwork between a trainer and his pokemon are essential to decide the results of a match, but such teamwork will not be effective if your opponent also has that same level of cooperation with his/her own pokemon.

The controversy of this battle is not centered on Cilan by himself, and instead on the pokemon that he chose to use in this match. Cilan may have lost a few times in the series so far, but he has never lost a single match as of yet with his Dwebble-Crustle. Most of his victories when using Crustle were focused on one single attack (Shell Smash), which enabled the pokemon to face up against evolved pokemon that had higher attacking power and defenses at the time. Now that Dwebble has evolved, Crustle appears to be even more of a powerhouse.

Basically, what we've seen in this episode with Crustle was what it had done as a Dwebble with the exception of a brand new attack that it learned in the previous episode. It felt like Cilan just added another win on his list with a specific pokemon even though the episode itself did not primarily focus on his relationship with that pokemon.

Furthermore, the end result of the battle almost made the trade/evolution in this episode feel pointless. Bianca may have a new pokemon in her arsenal, but she can still lose against certain opponents.

Last edited:
guess I'm the only one who realize that the evolution in this episode was a complete mess up...

But isn't that how it happens in the games, they come out of their poke ball and then evolve

well in the games slowpoke evolves into slobrow without the need of shellder and into slowking without trading,the anime show us the how the process take place,unlike what happened in this epidsode.

in the games it say "It evolves when bathed in an electric-like energy along with Karrablast."

and its very clear that Escavalier has shellmets shell,so it feels odd to see Escavalier get the shell out of no where.

Last edited:
Is It me or anyone else Who watch this episode think that Clian's Crustal getting too much Spot Light !
I mean, All cast pokemon lose's some time After its capture.
Ash's pokemon did, Misty & Brock pokemon did, May & Dawn Pokemon did, Iris's pokemon did, Cilan's other Pokemon
did
So why Writer trying to Show Crustal in a unbeatable Figure .
Cilan Not even a battler So what the point of making Crustal So strong ?
Its not like Crustal ever gonna battle in a Pokemon league.
What's Writer plan behind this ?

Honestly, Boldore should have at least KO'ed one of its opponents before going down instead giving Cilan all the glory. Then that way Ash wil put up a better fight - something he deserves at least after all the loses he's aready had - to his credit for the team victory and Crustle could still show how powerful it has become. I'd say Crustle could even rival Excadrill in battles with some of those moves it has.

Not a bad episode otherwise, I guess, even if not much else really happens.

Umm.... don't you have to recharge after using Rock Wrecker? Did Crustle cheat? :|

Moves that require a pokemon to spend time to recover after they are used (i.e. Hyper Beam, Frenzy Plant) in the games usually don't have these drawbacks in the anime.

There were some instances in DP where users of Giga Impact and Hyper Beam had to recharge after these moves were used, but we have yet to see the drawbacks of these moves on-screen when they were used in BW.

In this episode alone, we witnessed two (or three) cases where pokemon using moves such as Hyper Beam or Rock Wrecker did not need to recharge after the attacks were used. Escavalier and Accelgor quickly fired a second dose of Hyper Beam attacks on Cilan's Crustle as soon as Ash's Boldore was knocked out of the battle. Also as mentioned above, Cilan's Crustle fired a second Rock Wrecker attack mere seconds after launching its first one.

Some might argue that this entire battle was constructed through cheap and lazy writing, but I say that this even went as far as the types of moves that the pokemon were allowed to use before the match. Both Accelgor and Escavalier learned an entire new set of moves once they evolved during the episode just so the moves could have some use during the battle. Fury Attack was clearly given to Escavalier so it can battle two opponents at once, and the pokemon merely learned Iron Defense just so it could survive against Crustle's Rock Slide. Accelgor's moves were also handled in a similar way.

The script of this battle was handled so poorly that both Escavalier and Accelgor were strong enough to force back two partially evolved Rock-type pokemon a few meters just by using weak Normal-type attacks (excluding the Hyper Beam combination, which I must also add has been implemented rather cheaply).

Last edited:
Did the kids saying the eyecatch pokemon misidentify it or something? I wasn't really paying attention, but it definitely did not sound like they were saying "Chobomaki."

Bit late, but they say "kotae wa". The eyecatch Pokemon isn't actually identified by the kids in the BW eyecatches.

Doesn't it make less sense for a Pokemon to evolve while in its Poke ball?

I'm just not sure why they would evolve in their Poke balls, these are living creatures, evolutions should happen outside of Poke balls.

Finally watched it... it was nice they finally explained a trade evolution (though in this case it was harder to avoid it than the usual... still sad they didn't explain stuff like Shedinja and other interesting evolutions in the past, but that's off topic)
Bianca is awesome as always <3 and LOL at Axew randomly scaring the poor Shelmet... why did it just randomly come up to him like that? XD
It was nice they showcased the "not obeying after trade" thing... I'm happy that Bianca at least managed to get control eventually (I was afraid they'll just trade back)
I don't like how they just randomly trade their Pokémon, without really talking to them or anything, Bianca didn't even say anything to her former Pokémon before she left... (it's also always amazing to see the twerps support trades, since they're generally against of it, aside of cases where it's for the Pokémon's favor and will like Aipom/Buizel)
I think that's all... hopefully I'll watch the other 2 eps before next one airs

Bianca looked kinda like a cheater in this episode. She had a Shelmet which was timid and its fear was making her lose and then she traded it away. That seems like a sleazy way to get rid of your problems. She wasn't forced to trade back by her new pokemon's disobedience it just sort of went away. I guess the point of Shelmet being timid is for contrast with accavier's aggression but if that was the point they shouldn't have made it have problems in battle due to it being timid. Because of its portrayal Bel looks like she ran away from her problem.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom