• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW066: Afro GO! Buffron NO!!

re: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

So do Crustle, Stunfisk and what ever other Pokemon Ash had with him not need to eat, at least its not the way it has been before, where only Pikachu, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy and Axew ate.

Good:
Afro GO! Snivy Says NO!
Excapomp. Like a Boss.
Wild Charge by a Non-Electric Type!
Oshawott vs. Tepig=future hints?

Bad:
No Evo/capture/moves
No plot
No Stunfro
No Shellfro on Crustle
No Tranquifro/Swadfro/Krokfro/Boldfro/Palpifro
Cilan is useless...
No COTD
Why are Bouffalant so gullible to Afros anyway?
AHHHHH! Panty and Stocking reference in a children's show? Pervs...

Overall:2.2098765432101234567890, for comedy, but lack of the right kind, no plot, no development, and WTF? afro logic w/Nurse Joy and Bouffalant.

The writers are truly masters of the mediocre when they can make an episode about the entire cast wearing afros to protect themselves from buffalo and make it boring.

It's a shame the group's Pokemon don't have like... attacks or anything they can use to protect themselves from any aggressive Bouffalant, potentially leading to exciting action scenes. All they have is attacks used to get healing plants for the standard critically-sick Pokemon so they can avoid any interesting conflict in the climax.

Snivy was awesome as usual, but Oshawott is becoming more and more obnoxious while Tepig is getting more and more generic. Would these suckers just evolve and get the usual "starter-evolution-defect" so they can actually develop?!

...sorry, I'm just a bit bitter since we didn't get Krokorok in an afro. >>'

Oh and since I'm completely unable to finish this post without an Excel Saga reference...

61531.jpg

Attachments

• afrono.jpg
    afrono.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 165

This episode was pretty much on par with those tedious Johto filler episodes from 10 years ago. Maybe slightly more entertaining, but not by much.

If there was anything noteworthy about this episode, it was that it was one of the few times in this series when so many of the group's pokemon are shown with a lot of personality at once. Although the starter trio were the main focus of the episode, there were quite a few moments where Axew, Emolga, and even Pansage, were interacting with the characters and pokemon in this episode in fresh and unique ways.

Since we usually see Axew tucked up in Iris's hair, it was entertaining to see the pokemon try to avoid the wild Bouffalant in order to reunite with its trainer. Speaking of which, the scene where that wild Pidove pretended to befriend Axew in order to snatch the pokemon's first grass wig had to be the best part of the episode, imo!

There was also that scene near the beginning of the episode where Cilan scolds Emolga for wanting to eat apples instead of looking for Iris and the other pokemon. Emolga also seemed to love her pink wig, as she was very disappointed when Iris had to give it back to Nurse Joy near the end of the episode. There was also that moment near the middle of the episode where Pansage felt nervous when a wild Bouffalant began to inspect Ash, Cilan, and the pokemon that they had with them at the time.

Of course, the main focus of the episode was all about the starter pokemon learning to cooperate with one another in order to solve a common problem at hand, despite the tension that Oshawott and Tepig had throughout the story. Snivy was truly resorceful in this episode; the plan that she came up with for the pokemon to obtain the medicinal herbs up on the cliff could have given Ash's Noctowl, a pokemon notoriously known for its cunning behavior, a run for its money. She also saved Axew by quickly plucking a second shrub of grass from the ground and putting it on Axew's head. Tepig and Oshawott also learned to work together to make Snivy's plan succeed.

It was a decent episode, and I am glad that the writer of the episode devoted the time to provide the opportunity for these pokemon to convey their personalities outside of battle. I am also happy that Iris had the starring role in this episode, since she had to remain on the sidelines while Ash and Cilan took the screentime in recent episodes.

One last note: For those who hate it when Ash uses his Pokedex to look up data on pokemon that he has seen before in the series, he has done it again with Bouffalant in this episode.

Last edited:

OK, I was wrong. This episode did disappoint. Not terrible, but a disappointment nonetheless. It just wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. The trainers and some of their Pokemon wearing afros was still amusing all the same though.

Lulzy stuff:
* Dent's afro, almost looked like Flint.
* Emo's adorableness, don't wanna mess with the super model =P
* Tsutarja's BIG SISSTAA attitude and multiple saves were a delight.
* Doryuzu of course.

Enjoyed the episode, although I was waiting for Tepig to evolve the whole time. Especially, when the Buffron gang headed to attack the starters at the climax, it was the optimum time for Chaoboo to swoop in and save the day. OR . All three of them could have evolved together, you know, would have been a good surprise for some people. It's Best Wishes, you never know. But..... Bummer -___-

The episode had so much potential, too bad writers didn't do much about it.

Last edited:

Well my thoughts on this episode wasn't really on what was I expecting, sure I get the whole everyone must wear afros to protect themselves from the Buffolant but it's just left a bad taste in my mouth.:-( Usually we get episodes like Forest Grumps which is filled w/ action and humor, but don't get me wrong, there are some funny moments in this episode.But there wasn't anything interesting, like where's the action? By that i mean crazed buffaloes trying to attack everyone and when there's danger, there's bound to be evolution somewhere but nooooo.....>_> Since Tepig since to be somewhat involved in this episode, all he did was fought w/ Oshawott I cheered for the otter.>8D and they made up. Yeah okay, we can see that. I thought it was gonna be like the Shroomish Skirmish and maybe had the pig pull a Torchic as a to protect Oshawott from a raging bull and maybe evolve to be a sign of friendship?-____- Well enough of my negative whiny rant tho I wanted Tepig to evolve already to get it out the way....I'll list the highlights...

The good
Snivy's refusal to wear an afro but had to wear it
Excadrill w/ an epic pompadour 8D
Oshawott and Tepig's teamwork, having Snivy to throw both Pokemon up to the cliff and have Tepig to use flamethrower downwards to make Oshawott rise towards the cliff w/ the plants.
Emolga's liking for her afro.
Iris and Kibago being reunited
Dento digging the afro as well.XD
Ash noticing about Iris's hair being an afro in the end

The bad
No evolution for Tepig nor having to touch upon his development, writers I am disappoint....seriously I am.T__T
No danger as in the gang gets chased by the Buffloant
The fact that there isn't anything special.-___-

I'll give this episode a 6.5, normally I usually don't get worked up over episodes this saga as I'm trying to remain positive.>_> I cannot wait to see this in the dub..../sarcasm

Nice ep, some Iris focus and some cute/funny scenes... I mostly liked the Tepig/Oshawott scenes, crazy Poké interactions are one of the best things in this show, that sadly BW don't give us enough of...

Has anyone else noticed Iris-based episodes always seem to feature her helping out a Pokémon? Also I really like how we got an Iris centric episode before a Dent centric episode (aka; a calm episode before an exciting episode).

I was hoping an episode were everybody was wearing afros would have more humor, but it was a nice episode none the less. I remembered how much I love Iris's wilderness skills - she can even run up trees and jump from branch to brand like a ninja - it's what makes her stand out from the previous girls Satoshi traveled with.

This episode was good, it wasn't anything award winning or to write home about. But, it entertained me for thirty minutes and made my day a bit better.

-Iris, you rock and rule. I liked her a lot in this episode, the worry over Kibago to the point of spilling tears was nice because that shows she cares for her little Kibago. I really liked that scene where she's tending to the hurt Buffron really endearing moment. The face she made while climbing that cliff was funny, the way she had her tongue out with that expression that said, "I totally got this." was hilarious. I liked her reaction to her afro and Tsutarja's stubborn behavior, very entertaining. I didn't picture her pulling a Satoshi and putting herself in front of Buffron's oncoming Wild Bolt, regardless it was nice.

-Tsutarja, yeah I still think the writers are making Tsutarja look stronger then she really is with Mero-Mero. But, in any case she was really good this episode. Her saving a sobbing dashing mess of a Kibago from Buffron was really cool, as well as her Vine Whipping the artificial afro over to Kibago. And being the guiding voice and formulating a plan to get the medicine plant, and her refusing the afro and grinning over Kibago's safety. Even though Pokabu and Mijumaru have had more battling development then her, she's still nice to see.

-Pokabu and Mijumaru were nice this episode. I always like it when Pokemon have a sibling dynamic like that, reminds me of Fushigdana and Zenigame from Kanto who were always friends and hanging out with each other. Pokabu's Flamethrower jet propelling Mijumaru to Shell Blade cut the plant off the cliff was pretty neat. I liked their afro reactions and seeing them go with the 'fro like that. As well as their embarrassment over Iris's secret about them fighting. When their faced down with the Buffron and Iris is hurt and their all staring the Buffron down, you just know shits about to go down and go down hard. Sadly, the other Buffron showed up and stopped them. But, it would have been awesome to see a starter trio vs. Buffron duo showdown. Tsutarja had her vines drawn, Pokabu was getting ready for some fire, and Mijumaru was ready to flush them in water and I really would have liked that action scene since I feel BW lacks in battles like these all-out type situations. What was up with Satoshi calling them "Mijumaru-Tachi", lol that's further proof the writers see Miju as the star of Satoshi's Isshu Pokemon. Why not Tsutarja-Tachi or Pokabu-Tachi? Because, Mijumaru's the star. He's still my favorite of Satoshi's Isshu Pokemon due to his personality, great development, training, and interesting battles. I could see him evolving and not evolving at least he's not a Pochama redux.

-Kibago, loved his antics hilarious. His crying when running from Buffron made me feel really bad for him. His fear over being caught by a sleeping Buffron, and stared down. And his playfulness with that wild Kurumiru poking it back and forth like that was cute.

-Other Pokemon. Emonga loving her afro, and getting upset over it being taken away was hilarity. Doryuuzu looked kinda funny in a crazy way. Zuruggu should've done more since it loses to Headbutt stuff it would've been perfect with a Buffron's afro, but I guess he chilled out a bit with his impulsive behavior. The Buffron and their pure ignorance over anything with a afro was hilarious and those faces, as well as the hurt Buffron were great. For a second I thought Iris would make that Buffron a member of her team.

I just had a serious case of déjà vu from this episode.....

UvMdx.jpg

A3iyc.jpg
And one of them is loving it while the other seems unsure.

So do Crustle, Stunfisk and what ever other Pokemon Ash had with him not need to eat, at least its not the way it has been before, where only Pikachu, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy and Axew ate.

Yeah this was the first thing that got me with the group lunch shot at the start of the episode - where are Stunfisk, Crustle and Ash's 6th Pokémon in this? I've noticed things like that in previous episodes (when I randomly pick a number between 1 and 700 and watch that episode) and it really bugs me...

Beyond that, I did like this episode. I wish Joy had had a bit of a larger role just because it's nice to see her out-with the Pokémon Centers, but I'll take what I can get. I loved seeing Snivy being all mother-ish again - it's an awesome character trait, but I think it could be a hindrance in ways, but that's for another thread. Tepig and Oshawott... meh. I didn't enjoy their interactions and, I was watching a subbed version, when Ash asked Iris at the end if they caused her too much trouble, it felt to me like they were used to this type of behaviour from them, which I don't ever remember seeing beyond this episode at all. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but it felt random and forced and, especially the constant close-ups of them squishing their noses together, it felt like it was to fill time and sub-plot and nothing else.

I really wanted Iris to catch that Bouffalant she helped out - when it jumped in to the rescue, all I could picture in the next scene, when Iris and co. finally reunited with Ash and co., was Iris catching it (even though I knew it wasn't going to happen). Still, enjoyable episode overall.

Why didn't they just beat the Buffalant up? Jesus christ. And Buffalant are so dumb as to trust someone based on their hairstyle seriously it just makes wild Pokemon look Ogrish and dumb.

But seriously why didn't they beat Buffalant up? That's what you do in the games and when ash's starters when going to fight a couple Iris tried to use diplomacy. Diplomacy should not a good option for everybody. And as some characters would be annoying if they tried to be the Angry video game nerd Iris is annoying trying to be Picard.

I came up with this idea while watching the episode with Croag: What if Nurse Joy trained the Bouffalant to attack people? In reality, she's an afro fetishist. She demands that everyone wears afros. So she made up the story of the boy with an afro, and trained the Pokemon to attack anything without an afro, so as to force people to wear them. (Judging by their sudden halts when seeing an afro, I assume Joy used pain to ingrain this message into the Bouffalant's heads.) She watched the tweprs from afar, studying their heads so as to have the perfect afros ready. With that done, she sent the Bouffalant attacking.

So in reality, most of what happened in this episode is because of Nurse Joy.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom