• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW067: Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard - Fumihiro Yoshimura
Assistant director - Fumihiro Yoshimura
Animation director - Takashi Shinohara

Satoshi and his friends have arrived in Fukiyose City! Satoshi learns that there aren't any free slots at the Gym until the afternoon, so he decides to go take a look at the morning battles to see what kind of Gym Leader Fuuro is. Much to their surprise, the outcome of these "Air Battles" is decided by the Gym Leader merely looking over one's pokemon and then running a simulation in her head to decide what the outcome would be! Dent is appalled that a Gym Leader could decide a match without actually battling and decides to challenge her himself.

Iwaparesu lost??!!!

20aa2op.jpg

Entertaining episode. I'm still kind of sad it wasn't Planes vs Trains but the reasoning of Fuuro just handing out the gym badges by sizing up opponents was an interesting angle. Dento had to defend the gym leader's honor, soooo good enough. The Dento vs Fuuro battle was....okay. By the timing in the episode that it began it was obvious it was going to be a short battle.

Overall, entertaining to watch. Fuuro is pretty adorable.

Kamiture in the LiveCaster? Are they trolling us orrrrr???

Really glad Dent lost here because if he would have won...

And this is Crustle's first ever loss in the whole show

So Dento suffers a crushing defeat.
Loved Iris' reaction to "ITS TASTING TIME!"
Some cheap victories
And they tried to hide Ash's choice of pokemon however the preview for the next episode pretty much spoils that.
And Skyla is just awesome!

I think it was an ok episode in my opinion. Can wait to see next week's episode. :)

Poor, poor Stunfisk..the thing has yet to get any wins. Cilan might as well just make Crustle his vintage, that thing seems to be the strongest on his team. Let something else get wins please?

Last edited:
Crustle's first loss perhaps, but it was still the only one to do any good, and it got 2 KOs! Someone on the writing staff must really love the Dwebble familly.

61730d1329994689-bw-067-fukiyose-gym-air-battle-challenger-dent-review-thread-1329992494130.jpg
Poor Dento.... Though, the writers handled the episode decently. Swanna's return and Dent's cockiness.... stole the spotlight.

Attachments

• 1329992494130.jpg
    1329992494130.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 910
For those who questioned the purpose of this episode, one word: exposition. Basically, it was just to get a lot of dialogue covering the Fuuro backstory, introduce the problem, show some personality from Fuuro, so it can be out of the way and doesn't impede on Satoshi's Gym battle. That being said, that doesn't mean this wasn't a good episode. I actually loved it, because this episode had a lot of things going for it that are somewhat lacking in Best Wishes: uniqueness from Pokémon, layered characters, some strategizing in the battles.

Dent was just really personable, entertaining, and I was rooting for him. I liked the cockiness and the expressiveness before and after the battle. His "I just lost face" was priceless and got one of the biggest laughs out of me the entire saga. I liked that I couldn't tell who was gonna win the battle when I was watching it. Iwaparesu was just adorable when it was retreating in its shell all sad, and I gotta say, I really wasn't a fan of Dent getting Maggyo (because ugly design is ugly), but he's such an oddball and a lovable loser. He's strong and never looks bad winning, but I really want him to get that first win. Yanappu had some moments too. Also really really liked Satoshi in this episode. It really had some nice scenes in this episode and displayed some good personality. Another character that really worked was Fuuro, she was interesting because of her approach to battling, but also really likeable.

Battle wise, it was a OHKO fest at first but I liked the final battle. Interesting use of tactics on both sides. So, overall, I really liked the episode.

I wonder if the QR code they showed on-screen actually works in real life?

Hellion said:
For those who questioned the purpose of this episode, one word: exposition. Basically, it was just to get a lot of dialogue covering the Fuuro backstory, introduce the problem, show some personality from Fuuro, so it can be out of the way and doesn't impede on Satoshi's Gym battle. That being said, that doesn't mean this wasn't a good episode.

It seems like you're saying that if it isn't an episode with good battles, it isn't a good episode, period. And then there's this idea that backstory and personality can somehow "get in the way" of a gym battle?

I really could not disagree more.

You want to know what these "Air Battles" remind me of? Those simulation battles that were featured in that Pokemon School episode in early Kanto. In other words, Skyla simply compared pokemon with type advantages or disadvantages and decided that the pokemon with the type advantage will automatically win regardless of anything else, including differences in pokemon experience and movesets.

Either way, I believe that the best part of this episode is that we get to see all of these pokemon who have appeared little often in the series so far. It was also nice to see somebody else owning an Emolga and a Boldore other than the members of the main cast.

Also, it is about time that Crustle got its first loss in the series, even though he defeated two of Skyla's pokemon. I was starting to worry that it would be very overpowered considering its match record.

Anyone feel like Cilan was being a total idiot during the match?

Hello? Rock Tomb? Rock Slide?

Use your moves, you idiot....

Really glad Dent lost here because if he would have won...

And this is Crustle's first ever loss in the whole show

Too bad it doesn't matter considering the fact that it was the only one to get a win. Two, even.

Well, this really shows that Cilan has a ways to go to learn how to turn a disadvantage around, even though his pokemon were perfectly capable of beating Skyla's. What was it that Swanna did anyway? Can it endure Electric attacks? If so, I have no idea why she's so concerned about losing to type advantages. (I also find that hilarious since Swanna dies in one hit to Electric attacks in the game) Also, why exactly didn't she use the tactic she imagined? I'm sure she knows Stunfisk is Electric, so if she's afraid of type advantages, why did she think she could could confuse it? Was she confident over her advantages in the other matches that it didn't matter? Why didn't she confuse it like she thought, though? It seemed like a better idea than what she did, not to mention that using Water on Crustle was better, too.

Dento reminds me loads of Brock in this episode. But whatever, it looks pretty decent, and it's nice we get some focus on Skyla rather than going straight into a battle with Ash.

Dent, for fuck's sake.

Stunfisk is part electric, why couldn't you have just Discharged off the bat and fried that Swanna?

I'm glad we finally get to see that Cilan's not "perfect". I mean, I'm sorry he lost, but frankly, it was about time. Plus, Skyla is adorable, even if she is the most inadequately-dressed pilot in the business. XD

It seems like you're saying that if it isn't an episode with good battles, it isn't a good episode, period.

I never said anything of the sort. Some of my favourite episodes of Pokémon contained a minimum amount of battling, and my favourite part of most episodes has nothing to do with battling. I don't see how my reviews week after week indicate otherwise.

And then there's this idea that backstory and personality can somehow "get in the way" of a gym battle?

I never said anything of the sort either. Personality and backstory enrich and a gym battle, and all the great gyms had it. This is why this episode is important and effective. It introduces the backstory and the personality and the problem here, so it can play a part in the next episode without having to spend 10 minutes introducing the question. The writers then have more latitude to write a better battle, while at the same time, give that battle texture with the elements they introduced in the previous episode, play off the personalities they've already established and resolve the problem. This is what they did for gyms like Sumomo or Denji and it's why those gym battles were so effective.

I'm glad we finally get to see that Cilan's not "perfect". I mean, I'm sorry he lost, but frankly, it was about time.

We already knew that. His battling record in trainer battles in 4-4, he loses has much as he wins in trainer battles. Even if he had won today, he still would have had the worst winning percentage of all three cast members with Ash at 63% and Iris at 69%.

Last edited:
CRUSTLE AND CILAN LOST!

Skyla's a b***h.
Mile is recurring now?
The Jet Badge looks cheaper from the backside...

Overall:10/10, for the following reasons: Skyla's a b***h, and...

CILAN AND CRUSTLE LOST!!!!!!!

I'm glad we finally get to see that Cilan's not "perfect". I mean, I'm sorry he lost, but frankly, it was about time. XD

I don't really see why people think Cilan needed to be humbled..if that's what you're implying. Honestly, if there is anyone in the trio that needs to show more active struggling or development it's Iris. But that's for another topic.

I enjoyed the battle for what it was. The last portion of it was better than the first. Cilan was entertaining, as was Ash and Fuuro. Iris was...Iris. I'm still a bit annoyed that the writers are favoring Crustle over Pansage ( who fell far to fast for my taste), and Derpfisk. Hopefully those two wlll get to shine more in the future, with Crustle taking a back seat.

Guess who's my favourite character and involved with this episode?

180px-200px-Giselle.jpg

So: Misty = Cilan?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom