• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW068: Fukiyose Gym! VS Huuro, A Decisive Air Battle!!

Ah, so there goes my theory that Tranquill was really a boy, and every other Pokemon have been going misidentified (Meowth, Scraggy, Pikachu, Snivy, etc.) for years.

I really liked this episode. Beautiful animation, Ash's girl giving us all she has and succeeding in battle. Easily my third favorite Gym Battle this region.

So we still don't know what her ability is...that's probably about the only thing about this episode that disapoints me.
According to the Mystery Egg giveaway we had a while ago, it's Super Luck.

According to the Mystery Egg giveaway we had a while ago, it's Super Luck.

until confirmed in the anime it means nothing to me.

just like how people are trying to discern what move Tranquil was using when her wings were glowing against Swoobat.

Please don't say it has Super Luck due to the promo Pidove either, games=/=anime and until we get a confirmation IN THE SHOW, we don't know what it is.
Well, she just happened to evolve at the most critical moment possible. That's what I'd call Super Luck.
Hee.

Wait a minute. Can the Pidove family legitimately learn Wing Attack?

Haven't watched it yet. What exactly were all the matchups?

* Swoobat VS Krokorok (Swoobat won)
* Swoobat VS Tranquill (Tranquill won)
* Unfezant VS Tranquill (Ash recalled Tranquill, replaced it with Pikachu)
* Unfezant VS Pikachu (Pikachu won)
* Swanna VS Pikachu (Swanna won)
* Swanna VS Tranquill/Unfezant (Tranquill evolved, Unfezant won and Ash got the badge).

Its too bad we didn't see an unfezent vs tranquil match with tranquil evolving. I really wish Ash's was male because they are so majestic looking, like royalty!
Too bad about krokorok but I doubt Ash has been training him too much. Seemed like a great episode but I dunno if it can match up with the other 2 flying gyms...

Holy cow! The battle was sky high, although, yeah, it was predictable. At least Ash backed up his guts (or is it another word, I forget) with some elusive techniques outside of the early episodes' "attack, attack, attack" pattern. Dig to evade, using the rings, would be nice if Quick Attack was used as an evasive technique too, but eh.

I guess Aerial Ace fit here to give us the whole speedy counterattack thing. I prefer some other technique for Unfezant, but I think it works here. I do love the Air Cutter being used like homing missiles coming out from her wings. Nice touch.

I was a bit taken back by how Swoobat was still flying after 1 Stone Edge, and yes, I'm aware it was 1 of the rocks. Krokorok getting hot by 2 (or 3) Air Cutters was bad luck there.

It was an enjoyable episode. Still didn't understand how the 4th gym battle was a little clustered though.

There is something wrong about this pigeon... xD
dat1330597278161.jpg

i don't get the joke here...

so that was wing attack after all...intresting.

Bummer that Krok was the fall poke, but I was very excited with Unfezant vs. Swanna. It was awesome.
And it's the first time in BW that Pikachu looks like the old Pikachu, brave, resistant, refuses to fall.
And holy giant hands, this was the only Gym Battle that the evolution made sense, because of the surprise factor that Skyla never counted on.
If this was the only Gym evolution, it would be much cooler.

And LOL at Cilan dressed as Elesa. HAHAHA, so funny.

Kinda disapointed at Waruvile going down so easily and the amount of Pikachu focus, but the Hatoboh/Kenhallow scenes were great, especially her battle against Swanna. The evolution animation just looked epic and Kenhallow was just amazing. Peeved at it seemingly learning Wing attack, since there's a lot of good moves that Kenhallow can learn that would have made it more unique in comparaison to the previous birds. Quick Attack, Wing Attack and Aerial Ace are pretty much Ohsubame's moveset. It could have learned Detect and another attack like Razor Wind instead. But oh well... still a good episode.

Aaaand...... This episode is why Iwane should be in charge of every gym battle. The animation in this episode was excellent, especially the aerial battles.

Last edited:
You know, that male Unfeazant was unimpressive when compared to Ash's. Sure, it was taken down by Pikachu, who had a type advantage, but honestly, Ash's bird was keeping up with it despite it being a lower level, and only 1st stage evolution compared to the second stage that the male Unfeazant was.

Anyone else really like the fact that they had the cannons in the anime like they did in the games?

It wasn't exploitative either, it actually added to the episode.

Aside from the fact that the writing staff has given Tranquill/Unfezant yet another attack that makes its movepool more similar to Ash's Swellow or Pidgeot, Tranquill/Unfezant can't even learn Wing Attack in the games! I thought the writers were past the stage where they erroneously gave pokemon "illegal" movesets in the anime.

Is this the first time in BW where a pokemon was seen using an attack that it cannot learn in the games?

It was no doubt just a slip up that went unnoticed until it was too late. Since Tranquil was used so little before this point, and Wing Attack is a classic 'generic bird pokemon' move that Ash has relied on before, it's not hard to imagine these guys going into autopilot and overlooking it. I wouldn't be surprised if the move mysteriously vanished in the future.

Actually, that makes me wonder; How many of you guys just assumed the Pidove line could learn Wing Attack before the fact that it's an illegal move was mentioned? I know I did.

Yeah. I thought Wing Attack was 1 of Pidove and evolution's technique line-up, until I checked the games. Wonder if they'll slip in that attack for the Pidove line when the 2nd games show?

A shame there's no terrain traveling or anything in the gym.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom