• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW073: Decisive Battle Donamite! Throh vs Sawk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say I'm not excited for this episode at all. In fact if it wasn't for Emboar I really might not even watch it. All I know is that Stephan better pwn this Trollbias reject.

Judging by the preview alone, I can already assume there will not be enough Bulk Up in this episode. Anything less than a third of the episode being made up of over the top animation of expanding pectorals, and I will not be satisfied.

- Throh throws Sawk.

NO WAY

I find it amusing how the final battle is between a slender bishie and a stocky guy, but the roles are reversed for their Pokemon. Well, I guess Sawk isn't exactly a bishie, unless you're Bel.

Sometime I really wish Ash to use ''Infernape'' in Donamite !
I wonder what would happen if Ash use Infernape now ?
I mean , It might able to take down both Throh and Swak !

Or he could use Noctowl, the perfect dual typing to use against a fighting type. But just like Infernape, it would mean that the good development that Scraggy is getting out of this tournament would have been thrown away.

The whole point of the battle clubs is as a training facility, using your best Pokemon to thrash the competition doesn't help gain strength (as in Iris using Excadrill over Axew/Emolga). Scraggy being used in serious battling is giving it real growth and a much better display of progression than the other evolutions.

As much as I'd like Ash to be winning competitions like this one, Scraggy's very well balanced development in this arc combined with the interesting rivalry between Sawk and Throh means the episodes are fine the way they are.

Or he could use Noctowl, the perfect dual typing to use against a fighting type.

Noctowl is Flying/Normal and thus neutral.

Gliscor is Ash best choice purely typewise.

I'm happy Scraggy made it this far, I just hope it can damage Throh just a little bit...but Sawk might be the only one to get that honor, which is sad I think

Or he could use Noctowl, the perfect dual typing to use against a fighting type. But just like Infernape, it would mean that the good development that Scraggy is getting out of this tournament would have been thrown away.

The whole point of the battle clubs is as a training facility, using your best Pokemon to thrash the competition doesn't help gain strength (as in Iris using Excadrill over Axew/Emolga). Scraggy being used in serious battling is giving it real growth and a much better display of progression than the other evolutions.

As much as I'd like Ash to be winning competitions like this one, Scraggy's very well balanced development in this arc combined with the interesting rivalry between Sawk and Throh means the episodes are fine the way they are.
He can't use flying type.
''Donamite'' is for Hand to Hand combat.
This the reason it's known for Fighting type.
That's why Ash can't use anyone but Scraggy because most of Ash's Unova pokemon aren't fit for Hand to Hand Combat beside Scraggy.
Also, This the reason Iris using Excadrill.
He has only Krokorok beside Scraggy to perform Hand to Hand combat but Do you think Krokorok good for Donamite with it's attachment toward it's sunglasses.
Writer had more then 3 month to develop Scraggy enough for ''Donamite'' but they waste it all on stupid filler and episode that make Ash look Bad.
Plus entering a tournament to develop a Pokemon , Isn't it something Paul does ?
Okay , I have nothing against Ash following some good method from Paul.
However , I wish Ash follow Paul's Battling method rather then relying on just WILLPOWER & SPIRIT.
Because its pokemon , not Beyblade.
Paul's ''Training Method'' SUCKS but his ''Battling method'' ROCK'S specially how he always 6 step ahead of his Foe and set various trap .
That's The kind of Battling I want.
I thought Ash learn how to battle like this from Paul but I guess I was wrong.
So, Ash following Paul's method of using a tournament for his Pokemon Development mean nothing to me unless he follow Paul's Battling method.

OK, then in order to battle like Paul, he'd have to lose all emotion, and become a soulless a*****e just like him.

This IS a children's show, not a monastic tutorial.

Do you think kids would watch the show if it was all about acting like a soulless drone, with no spirit or willpower? No, they like a character with those humanistic properties. if you want emotionless characters, go watch Star Trek:First Contact, and have all the Borg you want. I actually like showing that Pokémon and Trainers aren't soulless battling machines.

This episode makes me want to breed a better Sawk. Or a Throh. ANd Scraggy has finally, because of this tournament, earned my respect as a character.

PS:Ash will win something sometime, don't give up @Kishore!

OK, then in order to battle like Paul, he'd have to lose all emotion, and become a soulless a*****e just like him.

This IS a children's show, not a monastic tutorial.

Do you think kids would watch the show if it was all about acting like a soulless drone, with no spirit or willpower? No, they like a character with those humanistic properties. if you want emotionless characters, go watch Star Trek:First Contact, and have all the Borg you want. I actually like showing that Pokémon and Trainers aren't soulless battling machines.

This episode makes me want to breed a better Sawk. Or a Throh. ANd Scraggy has finally, because of this tournament, earned my respect as a character.

PS:Ash will win something sometime, don't give up @Kishore!
It's off-Topic here but Ash doesn't need to lose his emotion in order to battle like Paul.
It apply if Ash follow Paul's training method.
Ash just need to predict the Foe's move and set a counter attack to deal with it.
That was Paul's Specialty.
Anyway , When will Ash win something like that ?
It's been 14 year and just like I say ''Ash haven't won any major solo tournament.''
Every time a tournament like occur , Its ether a rival and a Traveling companion who take's it.
Ash just won some local one day tournament.
Plus, Unova is a FAR AWAY REGION !
If Ash accomplish nothing here then this whole Unova journey will be meaningless.
HE NEED TO ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING THAT GONNA MAKE PEOPLE REMEMBER HIM BY.
Anyway, I hope Bianca , Georgia and Cabernet gonna decide to travel together at the end of this episode. Bianca need some traveling companion more then Ash and having a rival female trio might make the Anime more entertaining.
By The Way, I Like Scraggy using Double ''Focus Blast'' like Rasengan.
I Guess If Scraggy learn Double Team that it might become Ash's own ''Naruto''. Ha Ha Ha

It's been 14 year and just like I say ''Ash haven't won any major solo tournament.''

Battle Frontier and Orange Islands.

Anyway, I hope Bianca , Georgia and Cabernet gonna decide to travel together at the end of this episode. Bianca need some traveling companion more then Ash and having a rival female trio might make the Anime more entertaining.

I like the idea if we see them often.

By The Way, I Like Scraggy using Double ''Focus Blast'' like Rasengan.

He looked epic. It's funny, but both semifinals interest me more than the actual final. I can't wait to see more of Bel, Enbuoh and Zuruggu. :) But Zuruggu... kick some ass... :3

Also, I want some form of Dent/Cabernet interaction. Please...

Those aren't tournament and noone acknowledge Ash for those.
Ash got beaten by Gary right After Ash achieve those so Ash didn't got much stronger.
Even A Coordinator with 3 ribbon gets more acknowledgement compare to Ash.
By the way ,I was wondering , What if Scraggy use ''Focus Blast'' like a Physical attack rather then throwing it. Then Ash don't need to think about Aiming.

Paul showed some respect for Ash after learning he beat the BF.

Ash got beaten by Gary right After Ash achieve those so Ash didn't got much stronger.

But how do you know Gary hasn't been getting stronger?

Also, I want some form of Dent/Cabernet interaction. Please...

Having just watched the Don Tournament, please not another Sommelier Showdown.

After all, a Sommelier Showdown is basically what would happen if you put Brock in-front of a mirror and gave him a thesaurus. Just Dent and Carbernet telling the audience what we can plainly see, under the guise of increasingly bizarre metaphors.

I did like how much of an asshole Dent was when he was like "Let's stop and just watch the battle. Thank you! :smokin:" when he was winning. What a smug bastard.

But how do you know Gary hasn't been getting stronger?
Well, Gary become stronger normally , He didn't need to win ether Orange league or BF. He simply train like crazy like he's Grandfather said. If he achieve something the Prof Ock surely would know and tell Ash.
Paul showed some respect for Ash after learning he beat the BF.
Paul showed Ash respect after Moferno evolve into Infernape . Not before that !
Let's not discuss it here anymore. Just mention my Name in a Appropriate Thread to Discuss this !
I learn one thing from ''Donamite''.
I learn how weak team Ash has in Unova right now. I mean , He doesn't even have a Appropriate Pokemon for "'Hand to Hand'' Combat beside Scraggy.
You know , What I would like !
Scraggy gets beaten but he able to greatly Injure Throh.
And Because of This injury , Steven's Sawk able to beat Masaomi's Throh.
Masaomi leave's but he glare at Ash for his defect. (Since the injury from Ash Scraggy cause Throh to lose)
How you people would like it ?

Last edited:
I think in all of the tournaments Ash has entered, this one by far is the best for his character right after the Tag Battle arc. He gets props from me because:

1.) He had faith in Scraggy, knowing well enough that there were other Pokemon much more experienced and flexible, but Ash still used Scraggy.

2.) Ash's Pokemon learns a new move realistically not ruining his battle(s) and in the long run will further be improved due to proper recognition.

3.) Scraggy remained funny and is showing great strengths in becoming stronger. Funny and strong pokemon = Epicness beyond compare.

So for Ash, even though he'll lose, he definitely gained rather than loss in my opinion. Even if not in his perspective, Bianca has shown to be a competent battler, Trip loss in the first round again(Yay :D), Burgundy vs Iris was a decent match(one of Iris' more realistic wins at least, shame it benefits her goal in no way, shape, or form however), Langley has shown her skill and Burgundy has impressed and improved, Kenyan was much more than a watered-down Morrison, and Dent was still funny as shit.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, this tournament was loads better than the last one. Yeah, the battles were rushed for the most part, but hey, it wasn't a total loss, and there was some epicness, yet humour going on. I'm hoping this episode will give us hints about the rivalries in the future and what not, since after watching this I'm almost positive that Langley and Cabarnet will appear in the League. I'm willing to bet everyone wants them there as well.

Throh vs Sawk will be a pretty good battle hopefully, at least one for the record books because whenever the writers can pull off a battle that doesn't involve Ash, they gain a little bit more of my respect as time goes on.

It's showtime!

Per the Anime Rules at the top of the forum, this speculation thread will be closed. A review thread for this episode will be uploaded after the episode finishes airing. Do not make any new review threads during this time.

If you want to talk about the episode as it's airing, please head over to the IRC Chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom