• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW073: The Decisive Donamite Battle! Nageki VS Dageki!!

Also, think about it though, Iris' Excadrill couldn't land a single hit...at all. Scraggy actually doing damage to Thorh would have felt extremely unrealistic.

When you put it like then, then you have a point... I would have still liked to see Zuruggu master Focus Blast though.

Kenyan name gag is getting really, really old. It was overplayed the first time, and whether or not ~the children~ remember it from before or not, it doesn't matter, cut that shit out. The narrator doing it at the end probably would have been a lot funnier if they hadn't been doing it for 5 episodes already.

Bel was....stroking Dageki O_____o .....as it ate from a dog bowl at a human table....the actual fuck was happening in that scene even

The Nageki vs Dageki battle was an okay watch though. I am a bit biased because both of these pokemon legitimately really creep me out XD; But the way their battle ended was a great touch. Kenyan broing around with Dageki and giving a high five at the end of the battle was pretty cute, no matter how creepy it is.

As far as Zuruggu goes, great to see him getting some focus and battle time in against actual competition.

Oh, and LOVED Dento and Cabernet's little ~tasting time~

Overall, so so so so so glad this arc is over.

I'm glad this episode has reinforced my belief that Dageki is the better 'Geki brother.

Sheesh, that name running gag is really getting old. I'm still thrilled that Stephan won, and to see him hugging Sawk at the end was really heartwaming. I'd always figured Zebstrika would be his main, but Sawk is just awesome. Poor Scraggy, so outlcassed against Throh, but Ash made it really far with him, and that's still good with me. What were Burgundy and Georgia so sulky about, though?

My Two Cents:

Good Pennies:
STEPHAN IS NOW ASH'S MANE RIVAL, IT'S OFFICIAL!
STEPHAN WON!
SAWK WON!
STEPHAN AND SAWK WON!
BIANCA GOT TRASHED!
DON GEORGE!
GEORGIA!
IRIS!

Bad Pennies:
Burgundy & Cilan...yawn, Next scene...Connoisseurs and Connaisseuses suck as Coordinators' replacements...
BIANCA...GO BECOME PROFESSOR JUNIPER'S BODYGUARD IN NUVEMA TOWN AND ROT THERE! YOU ARE NOT FUNNY, NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT, AND NOT SKILLED ENOUGH TO BE A LEAGUE TRAINER!
Masaomi was a gracious loser? HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN DOWN ABOUT 444440 PEGS! SMUG B*****D...
SaWk, ArE yOu MaN oR bEaSt?
Emboar...yawn...
WHY DID STORM THROW NOT DEBUT AS THROH'S LAST MOVE? WHY BIND!? WHY BIND???????? WHY?

Overall,

7/10, for too much Connoisseur(Cilan) and Connaisseuse(Burgundy), Masaomi NOT THROH-ing A TANTRUM, TO SHOW HE'D BEEN SHOT DOWN A BUNCH OF PEGS(and his Throh not knowing Storm Throw, the species's signature move, AND BI-FREAKIN-ANCA, but...STEPHAN AND SAWK NOW ARE ASH'S MANE RIVALS! F**K TRIP!

PS. Who cares about Scraggy not mastering Focus Blast yet? That will lead to a future story, IMO(EVOLUTION).

Then she would have lost to Masaomi in a ridiculously rushed quarterfinal match.

I have zero problem with that scenario. The battle's gonna be rushed anyway, I'd rather see the character who deserves to get to the second round and shine some more.

Bel was....stroking Dageki O_____o .....as it ate from a dog bowl at a human table....the actual fuck was happening in that scene even

Amazing weirdness is what happened.

Oh, and LOVED Dento and Cabernet's little ~tasting time~

They were awesome. I also liked their interactions with other characters. Dent had a funny scene with Kenyan and Cabernet and Langley were bouncing off each other well. I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Dent and the three female rivals just make Best Wishes.

I agree that Sawk eating dog food out of dog bowl was fucking creeping. I wasn't to excited about Stephan winning shows that wishes work also stephan's style and team choices ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. I also hated the Masomi hand shake thing ENOUGH HANDSHAKES ANIME it is getting overused at this point. I also found that the stadium was disproportional to the battle length all these people taking time to check there seats for one on one battles seems economically fucked up.

Took me till this ep to realize it, but Emboar has a fucking beast voice. Hope he keeps it in the dub.

Anyway, I've always liked Stephan, so seeing him win the donamite was pretty awesome.

(...I hope Bel didn't lose too badly ;_;)

I don't know if I'd call it a curb stomp, considering the amount of attacks her Emboar took, but she only managed to really land one hit.

Last edited:
I have to say that while I didn't think these battles were amazing- good, but nothing amazing -except for Sawk walking away, apparently aware that Throh was beaten, this episode was enjoyable. Seeing the rivals part ways makes me want to see more development for them in the near future- they all more than make up for Trip. And now I like Stephan even more than before.

Overall, I would say that this is a much better written tournament than the last one. I wonder if there'll be more?

Lol @ Sawk eating Pokemon food from a pet's food bowl on a dining table where trainers eat. :spin:

I hope they keep that in the dub.
I'd actually be more surprised if they didn't.

I really liked this episode. So many times everybody kept getting Kenyan's name wrong, even the announcers and Narrator. Kenyan's angry expressions were amusing to watch. Dageki did some Martial Arts moves to pump himself up prior to battling. Dageki was just too quick and agile for Embuoh. Dageki landed some harsh hits that were animated to look like real world Martial Arts moves when he was doing the attacks. His Karate Chops hurt Embuoh badly. Dageki's Side Kick pose was very neat to see. Bianca was acting all hyperactive again during the battle. Dageki used Bulk Up twice for a change in this battle. Nageki really terrified Zuruggu by glaring at Zuruggu when he tried to use Leer on him. Zuruggu kept missing all over the place with Focus Blasts, yet Ash wouldn't stop having him use it. Zuruggu's attacks really didn't do anything at all, and Nageki's Superpower, Seismic Toss, and Circle Throw looked so painful to watch. Bianca still went over to hug Dageki in obsession. Ash warns Kenyan about a possible new move Masaomi was going to use in the battle. Nageki tried to use Seismic Toss, but Dageki was able to slip away and they both crashed to the ground. Dageki was able to finish Nageki off with Close Combat. Burgandy and Cilan both ended up doing tasting times in this episode.

The final battle between Nageki and Dageki looked more like a Martial Arts fight than a Pokemon battle. Nageki kept using throwing Dageki, and he kept landing not too hard. Nageki's Bind was animated as a sleeper hold. That was unexpected for animation.

Sawk sitting at the table like a human but eating out of dog food bowl just looks weird...
That's one thing that irks me in the anime. All of the various (trainer-owned) Pokemon eat the same brown mush/pellets from a dog bowl.

1333070450202.jpg

SAWK VS. THROH NEVA 4GET
Congrats to Stephan and Sawk! Their hug at the end was too cute (overusing his name gag....is not). XD

Overall, this tournament was much better than the previous Club Battle imo.

I really liked all the battles. Scraggy's was great and I'm happy Ash lost in the semi-finals, because to me this wasn't about Ash winning, it was about training Scraggy and consolidating the rivals.

That's one thing that irks me in the anime. All of the various (trainer-owned) Pokemon eat the same brown mush/pellets from a dog bowl.
Agreed.
It's one thing if it's a tiny pet-like Pokemon like Pikachu, but a humanoid Pokemon eating those freaking pellets is ridiculous. If it can eat at the table, surely it can eat human food.

It was a pleasant finish to a better Tournament, in my view.

- I'm glad Kenyan won. I suppose I had a natural inclination to be fond of him, and that he seems to be dilligent in his training of Sawk (from his flashback of training him in all sorts of Weathers). However, what really made me want him to win was the fact that he wishes for it when he rings the Bell, which he mentions. I believed it was sweet that his wish came true. I also thought the interactions between him and Sawk at the end of his match were very close with the high-five and hug, and that was a nice thing to see.
- However, I really liked Masaomi too. His Throh was unbelievably strong, which we could see, and I'm glad it was a tight fierce match, because it was thrilling, and it felt more realistic and fair. I enjoyed that he saw Kenyan's strength, and went over to congratulate him with a handshake. That was a mature act, certainly.
- Cabernet and Dento were very lovely, from the sidelines. They work off one another quite well, and their tasting was cute to boot.
- Langley was good, too. I especially loved her teasing Cabernet and Cabernet fighting back.
- Scraggy did very well to get to the semi-finals, and I was pleased with that. I could see how Focus blast would've been useful, as an attack that created Scraggy to come into contact with Throh, simply enabled Throh to grab him and use his attacks more effectively. Also, it could've hit Throh which would have given Scraggy some stalling time before Throh grabs him and uses Seismic Toss (?). However, I still don't think it would have made much of a difference in the overall outcome, and I don't mind that.
- Kenyan and Sawk wolfing down their food with their mouths full (well, certainly, Kenyan's), and then realising to be courteous and chew with their mouths closed and more gracefully was a pleasant touch.
- As for Sawk and the Pokemon pellet food, I don't mind that he eats those, but I think he could've had a plate, at least.

Overall, I had fun watching this episode, and the Tournament as a whole.

Bianca, once again, was the main thing in this ep for me... sad that she lost, but at least she seems to have improved, as I said in the thread for the previous ep
I have to agree with everyone about how funny/weird it was to see Sawk eating Pokémon food... that's one reason I don't really like human-like Pokémon... I prefer the animal/plants/items/food/anything else as crazy as it can be, just no human-like... I don't HATE them either, but they're just... too human? XD

Bianca, once again, was the main thing in this ep for me... sad that she lost, but at least she seems to have improved, as I said in the thread for the previous ep
I personally feel they should have spent less time on Throh vs. Scraggy and flesh out Emboar vs. Sawk a bit more, but that's probably just my bias showing.
But yeah, it was an OK fight all things considered, and it's just nice to see her putting up a fight now. Emboar grabbing Sawk and chucking him to the ground was pretty cool.

Also "Cutie Princess".

I personally feel they should have spent less time on Throh vs. Scraggy and flesh out Emboar vs. Sawk a bit more, but that's probably just my bias showing.

+1, including the bias part XD

Also "Cutie Princess".

!!
Good thing you're still around Gravy! How could I forget to mention that?! I really liked it when George called Bianca "Cutie Princess" XDDD Bianca <3

I will say I'm warming up to Burgundy a little, though it's sad that I like her more than I like Cilan... Georgia is still good as I said before... but still, none of these "rivals" makes me care about them too much... Bianca is the only character in this tournament (...well, or the BW series in general) that managed to make me care for her... and even that, no so much as a rival for Ash, but more as cute and funny character...

There were a few thing's that I loved about this ep and the Donamite as a whole:

1. Good Battles: Besides Bakkie and Chakkie's battle all of the fights were pretty good overall.
2. A Rival won it: This is the first time since Hoenn that a Rival has one a Tournament all by themself, so well done Stephan.
3. Ash and co. lose early on: This is a great twist to the anime and it shows that they aren't far better than everyone else. Also good to see Iris lose finally.
4. There was good developement: Especially of Scraggy, Bianca and Embroar and Stephan and Sawk.
5. Good CoTDs: I was dissapointed with the OHKO fest that was the Club Battle CoTD rival list, but this lot had genuinely good Pokemon and Strategies. I didn't even mind Ash facing them their mons were so challenging.
6. The anime logic of getting a trainer's name from the first letter of their Pokemon and adding -akkie to the end of it. If only they had done that with Ash...

But then, there were bits I hated too.

1. The opponents having to only use 1 mon: This was quite good for characters like Masaomi and Stephan, but it took chance of developement from other mons that desperately need it, like Cilan's Stunkfish or Cabernet's Swasbuck. Imagine Stunkfish nailing that Gothorita in round 1 or Mincinno running rings around Trip's Conkledurr (although that battle was pretty good) and their counterparts still having good battles later on

2. Trip and Cabernet losing early on again. This really annoys me because Trip hasn't had much team developement because of his lack of battle experience and both of them are supposed to be serious rivals. I would have rather seen Burgundy beat Iris in round 1 And maybe see Trip take out one of the Yakkie etcs in the first round.

3. 1 on 1: We had Club Battle for a quick 1 on 1 fest, but Donamite could have easily been pulled on a little longer to accomodate for 3 on 3 battles, especially with the fast plot of the anime at the moment, they can afford to slow down and introduce new mons, not just give (needed) developement to the older ones

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom