• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW075: The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1)

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1))

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Shigeru Ueda
Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
Animation director - Izumi Shimura

Satoshi and his friends become lost while going through a cave in Spiral Mountain that'll lead them to Sekka City. They hear a tapping sound and decide to follow it, leading them to an amateur archaeologist named Fujio. After researching the area for a long time, Fujio has been able to escavate the fossil of the extinct turtle pokemon Protoga! However, he tells our heroes that he remembers playing with a real live Protoga back when he was a kid...could he have somehow time traveled back to Protoga's time back then? While Satoshi and the others listen intently, the Rocket-Dan move to steal the fossil...

Re: BW 075 "The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1))" R

*Revive Protoga*
*Release it from revival machine with no restraints*
*Send out Deathmas and Koromori to attack*
*Surprised when it fights back*
*Blows up interior of helicopter and escapes*

Zeger sure earned his docterate, eh? :p

Re: BW 075 "The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1))" R

It's good to have an episode where a Team Rocket appearance is justified.

Gosh, I'm so over this opening. I like the song, but the CGI just seems out-of-place in a mostly-2D show, y'know?

Did Cilan just say 'mistake'? Bless you, gratuitous English!

Oh hey, it's a non-flashback Drilbur!

Whoa, Cilan sure is excited about the fossil. Really excited. He started to get all sing-song for a bit.

Gah, so much cuteness in the Tirtouga flashback!

Holy shit, did the stakes raise about that fossil or what? That Tirtouga is the same one Fujio met as as a child.

Then suddenly, helicopter!

I can't much to say about the rest of the ep; it speaks for itself, really.

What's that silver rock attack Tirtouga used? I didn't quite catch the name.

Oak's Live Caster: Accelgor.

Shame I gotta go back to class next week, so I won't be able to watch the conclusion as it airs. Drat.

Grave-E said:
*Revive Protoga*

"Being thwarted by the very pokemon they're trying to capture" is the Rocket-Dan's newest running gag, apparently.

At least they got new motto animation and brought up the Archen and the Electric Cave episodes.

Crysta Blade said:
Gosh, I'm so over this opening. I like the song, but the CGI just seems out-of-place in a mostly-2D show, y'know?

I was actually thinking today how much I still like this opening even after all this time.

What's that silver rock attack Tirtouga used? I didn't quite catch the name.

The one it used to destroy the Rocket-Dan's helicopter (I assume that's the one you were talking about?) was AncientPower. I really liked the animation.

Re: BW 075 "The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1)" Re

*Revive Protoga*

I guess the organisation as a whole just flat-out get the whole 'targets may fight back' thing, huh?

I was actually thinking today how much I still like this opening even after all this time.

Fair enough. As much as I am waiting for a new opening, it still has a certain charm to it.

The one it used to destroy the Rocket-Dan's helicopter (I assume that's the one you were talking about?) was AncientPower. I really liked the animation.
I thought it might be that. And yes, it sure looks great, doesn't it?

Re: BW 075 "The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 1)" Re

I am still waiting 'till Yamask and Woobat will evolve. I'm getting sick of seeing Woobat owned by a main character (or atleast, Jessie used to be one).

Oh well, episode wasn't bad. Stella reminded me of Linda from the Accelgor episode, Dr. Zager is again with the Rocket's, Tirtouga's blackstory was cool I guess...

DAT MOTTO ANIMATION!!! Seriously, I didn't think any motto would match the epic Site of Dreams motto, but this episode proved me otherwise! Great job animators! :-D

Also, I'm glad the Rocket-dan playing a more active role in this two-parter besides standing off in the sidelines sneering.

Stella's seiyuu was also the seiyuu for Blue Rose, so you Tiger and Bunny fans out there might recognize her voice. :)

what a moto!! wow please keep this moto it's perfect

This episode sounded me like the old trapinch/vibrava episode in Houenn. Except this one is a two parter.

Nevermind, but, it's somewhat funny.

I wish there was more bang-for-the-buck with these Team Rocket plots...they set them up, but they're no different from the plots they pulled all the time in the old episodes. :/

I wish there was more bang-for-the-buck with these Team Rocket plots...they set them up, but they're no different from the plots they pulled all the time in the old episodes. :/

TR were only interesting in BW when they were working under Giovanni.

Remember how some of us were complaining about those minute long scenes that they'd put in the episodes leading up to the other Rocket-Dan two-parters? And how I argued they were all pointless and did nothing but give the trio their obligatory appearance for the episode?

I think this two-parter is a perfect example of why those other scenes annoyed me so much. We didn't have any build-up to this "steal the fossil" plot and yet everything still made sense. We didn't need to have an episode where the trio receives the orders to go to the mountain, another of them en route to the mountain while smirking to themselves, another of them doing surveillance in the mines, another with Seger-Hakase arriving in the area, another of Seger-Hakase explaining how powerful older pokemon are, etc. We got everything we needed in this one episode.

I'm hoping that the days of the Rocket trio having a minute long scene where they receive a briefcase or something like that are gone because this episode proves what we knew all along; that they were a complete waste of time.

At last, a well-plotted and decently paced TR episode. Words cannot describe the pure epicness of that new motto animation, fantabulous!

No complains.

This episode sounded me like the old trapinch/vibrava episode in Houenn. Except this one is a two parter.

Oh God. Cannot unsee it...

All I could think was how ridiculously convenient it was that out of all the millions of Abagoura from the past this particular one managed to be perfectly fossilized and found in the exact same location... It's a good thing Continental drift doesn't exist in Pokémon World? It's just so dumb...

- Awesome new motto
- Dent fanboying
- Cute turtle

Everything else just left me cold.

I felt a little unsettled by the dude going back in time the method made no sense and you know ancient Unova it is lucky that he only saw discovered pokemon becacuase if he was in anyother part he would see one that doesn't exist in the games

The cliff hanger was weak as hell. You expect me to be worried for Ash because he is being attacked by a unevolved wild poke. Really? He has six pokemon I ain't intimidated at all I see no stakes. Of his pokemon we can assume he has at least three have type advantages. So no you can't end an episode like that

NO!

This episode was meh, in my opinion. Fujio is one of the least interesting COTDs so far in BW; his entire characterization is tied to his encounter with a Tirtouga when he travelled into the past when he was a child. Fujio hardly reacted at all when he discovered that the Tirtouga fossil that he uncovered was the exact same pokemon that he befriended in his childhood. Iris, Cilan, and Stella hardly contributed to the episode, either. The first half of the episode explained Fujio's backstory as well as his involvement in the storyline. The second half of the episode basically had TRio stealing Tirtouga's fossil and reviving the pokemon in the present time while Ash and Fujio were left helpless due to a trap. The cliffhanger of this episode was meh as well. The Tirtouga that was revived is attacking Ash and Fujio after they all escaped.

I can see why this storyline was adapted for two episodes instead of just the one; this episode was established just so TRio and Dr. Zager can explain why the Tirtouga fossil is relevant to the time slip. Hopefully the next episode will pick up the pieces that the first episode left off.

There were a few good aspects of an otherwise disappointing episode. The animation for TRio's motto during this episode was superb. Furthermore, even though I believe that there is a lot of lazy writing for TRio's current mission, I did like how the writer of this episode connected TRio's fossil restoration machine in this episode to the blueprint data that they had obtained when they hacked into Dr. Fennel's machine in BW036, as well as the electric stones that TRio had collected in BW062. There is some continuity in this show, at the very least.

I also thought of the Trapinch/Vibrava episode from Hoenn while watching this episode.

I guess I also quite liked the TR motto animation, and it's actually almost refreshing to see them again, honestly.

Overall, a decent episode, I guess, but I need to see part 2 befoe making a final judgement.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom