• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW077: Flaming Memories! Pokabu VS Enbuoh!!

Tsutarja's been shown to be like a caring big sister. In the past, she dealt with Gochimu personally, she got in between Pokabu and Mijumaru during their fights, and protected Kibago and the others from the fire monkey. I think she was in-character.

Are you sure that Snivy has acted "in character" in this episode? Snivy has displayed more emotion in this episode that she ever had. This is also the first time that Snivy is shown smiling with joy and not giving the slight smirk that she had in past episodes. Snivy must have really been empathetic to Tepig's situation, which is ironic considering that Ash and co. believe that she decided to release herself from her previous trainer. If anything, Snivy should have supported Suwama's behavior, since they both favor competency and strength. Whether this is because Snivy's backstory isn't as black or white as it seems to be, or Snivy has learned to appreciate being with the other pokemon remains to be unclear. Snivy used to be an emotionless recluse, and later it became a silent guardian for the pokemon that she was seen protecting. It's an odd form of progression, imo.

Last edited:
Tsutarja's been shown to be like a caring big sister. In the past, she dealt with Gochimu personally, she got in between Pokabu and Mijumaru during their fights, and protected Kibago and the others from the fire monkey. I think she was in-character.

Yes I know she's shown these caring big sister traits, but they were always aloof in action to me. This is the first time, I believe, she's ever acted so... visibly effected with emotion. It seems really out of character for a normally quiet and reserved Pokemon that usually is shown to be nothing but smirks and smugness.

Last edited:
I wonder if they're setting up something with Pignite learning Fire Pledge? I can't imagine them giving one of Ash's Starters a move whose entire gimmick revolves around fusing it with other moves for not reason but, welp, BEST WISHES.

considering Emboar was getting hit by everyone at some point in the match (including it's own partner to get out of attract.) I don't think anyone can complain it going down was cheap.

Heatmor probably should've taken abit more hits though.

I love how many who loved this episode also expected it to be a total repeat of Charmander and every other fire starter of Ash's. It's a real treat when the staff exceed our expectations.

I loved this episode - the story between Pokabu and his trainer had been nicely done, and I liked the new animation of Nitro Charge XDD

Suwama looked so dull, he wasn't a mean person, just boring.

Did anyone else notice the similarity between Fire Pledge and the game animation for Blast Burn. I think there could be something there

Suwama looked so dull, he wasn't a mean person, just boring.

Did anyone else notice the similarity between Fire Pledge and the game animation for Blast Burn. I think there could be something there

Its probably because you didn't understand what he was saying.

The sub's out.

So, apparently, Suwamu purposefully pretends to be upset when releasing Pokemon (as seen in Pokabu's flashback) as opposed to Paul, who's at least honest about it. That's pretty over-the-top vicious.

Probably my favourite episode of BW so far, I'm really surprised how much I loved it and how much I cared about Tepig, since I've been very indifferent towards him for the past 72 episodes.

Suwama was a real piece of work, but that was pretty much what I expected, and I've certainly missed sneering at a character that I was meant to sneer at. Loved seeing Tepig/Pignite proving him wrong in such an epic way and the, ahem, burn he gave him at the end. Now hopefully, with his past behind him and an evolution under his belt, I can only hope Pignite will really come out of his shell and become an amazing Pokemon from here on. He'll have his work cut out to match Snivy, though. Man, under that tough exterior, she has such a heart of gold - is there no limit to her awesomeness?

Personally, I feel that Snivy really stole the show in this episode. Made me want to back to my Black and train up my Servine! I didn't really understand her main motivation though, as wasn't it Snivy who ditched her trainer, not the other way around? Well, this makes me more hopeful that we'll see Snivy's original trainer at some point as well.

I was a bit disappointed with Cilan in this episode though. The courtroom scene was funny, but I honestly expected him to at least show some concern about what Tepig had been through, other than the throwaway comments that Ash and Iris went through that before they met up with him. Come on man, you're a Gym Leader who was ready to rage at Skyla over her Air Battles, but you don't really care about an abandoned Pokémon? Then there was Don George...who just seemed to be on a mission to get more kids to battle xD. After witnessing Suwama confront that kid in the hallway, while Don George walked by kind of dropping in a hint that he heard everything, if I was Don George I probably would have kicked him out for misconduct.

Also, Suwama not having a Swanna? Colour me disappointed xD.

Finally got a chance to watch this sucker, and I really liked it one of the best BW has offered so far to the group Pokemon.

-Pokabu, I always enjoyed that fiery hunk o' walking bacon but I really liked how tender Pokabu was this episode, must have been quite hard for him to face Suwama again after all that he went through. Abandonment issues and all that really can be quite the contest to get over for many, either way I enjoyed every ounce of him, from being thrown by Suwama, to his self reflection, to his meek and sheepish demeanor in the battle, to finally regaining his confidence and facing up to Suwama's Fire Warriors. Pokabu gained strength that Suwama pretty much swore he would never achieve, it was nice to see because it reaffirmed Pokabu's true potential. It's only thanks to the training under Satoshi and some healthy encouragement that Pokabu managed to evolve into Chaoobu. Learning Fire Oath in the midst of all that felt fitting. I liked how he barbecued Suwama at the end.

-Tsutarja was good, I kinda don't understand her motives for helping Pokabu. She did the abandoning while Pokabu was abandoned, I'm guessing they had similar trainers or something. I just hope BW2 graces her with some new moves because I'm tired of that crappy moveset to the max. Just learn something new and interesting. I really liked her interactions with Pokabu and her strive to help out since she's played the "Big Sister" role in BW more times then I can count, what a pity we haven't seen her really have any super interesting wins in BW so far, either way I enjoyed her in this episode. I still find her to be the lowest of the starters so far, sure she's got a nice personality but at the same time her battling life does have quite a bit to be desired. Otherwise she was awesome this episode was a true friend to Chaoobu.

-Iris never ceases to entertain me. First off, I really liked how she stood up to Suwama, Dento and Satoshi sat back while she ran up to Suwama who was bullying that trainer, even after he left Iris still showed concern for the trainer that takes courage. I'm glad she made good on her comment to yell at Suwama since she first met Pokabu with Satoshi at the Battle Club, that was really nice of her. I really liked seeing her get mad and emoting over it, compared to the more non-emotional Dento and worried concerned Satoshi.

-I didn't really care for Dento's Trial Sommelier shtick but, hey at least at the end of the episode he rendered Suwama guilty. XD It just seemed awfully weird he was neutral because this is the same guy who bitched about how Fuuro ran her gym.

-Satoshi as always that kid manages to make me happy and truly enjoy him. I really liked his concern and strive to help out Chaoobu, and the ending result being a well-deserved evolution. Not only that but he held Tsutarja during the battle and had Pokabu hit both with Nitro Charge and even proved Suwama wrong and showed Pokabu does have the potential and power that Suwama ignored and gave up on.

-Suwama suffices nicely for a COTD, his comment at the end of the episode makes me think this ain't the last we've seen of him. He was cruel and a true jerk but, the ending being a well-deserved Flamethrower to the face as well as a defeat by the hands of the Pokemon he abandoned was nice. Nice strategy to shake off Mero-Mero and his Fire Warrior's Flare Blitz + Fire Spin combo.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cilan was oddly neutral towards Suwama despite literally everyone else pointing out how much of a jerk he was. Thankfully at the end he was like "alright, you know what, this guy is clearly a jerk" as opposed to continuing to have a weird objectivity towards Suwama, since Cilan's never held back his emotions before.

Nice strategy to shake off Mero-Mero and his Fire Warrior's Flare Blitz + Fire Spin combo.
I liked how they developed his character, too. He's not afraid to hurt his allies, and he even points out Emboar will take damage from Flare Blitz but, hey, you've gotta risk it to win.

There is nothing wrong with Dent's attitude toward Suwama. For all they know, only thing he did is releasing Pokabu.

-Not true. Suwama said he was only pretending to care when he abandoned Tepig.
-Suwama was kinda creepy. Surprised nobody on the first two pages (all I've read so far) seems to agree.
-Snivy continues its badassery. It's Treecko Mark II. Not that that's a bad thing.
-And here I thought they were done with Cilan being a Connoisseur of everything. The "Trial Connoisseur" scene was great, as was Oshawott sleeping through the whole thing. XD
-Only real problem was Pignite learning yet another Fire move instead of a Fighting move to go along with its new type. Really weird decision.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom