• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW078: Hachiku Appears! The Holy Mountain of Ulgamoth!!

I'm guessing this Jellicent had "Water Absorb", cuz if it didn't Iris would be bitching at Ash like she did waaay back in BW010 when he attacked Frillish with close combat moves.

Realisitically they just wanted Ash to get his ass kicked by Trip back then, so cursed body was "convenient".

I must admit though, Ash was pretty adorkable in the first part of this episode.

I thought the second half of this episode was the good part, to be honest. A decent battle with Krokorok, even if it did go on a bit too long, and Beartic was pretty badass...well, as badass as IT can be. For a series which so far has used a ton of stock-footage and awkward jump cuts in battle (and it was here too), Beartic physically slamming into the Jellicient was pretty cool.

I had to laugh how everyone just sat around and let this criminal (who was kind of cool, with some funny expressions and such) make the rules. Plus Volcarona can burn bright enough to serve as a temporary sun, surely it can just burn through the net?

Also how casually the PokeDex mentioned that Jellicent ate "life energy". 0.o

The last episode was so good, this episode was dire in comparison. It started off well. I loved Ash's training session with Krokorok and Dent's fangirling was amusing.
It was quite a funny episode to start off with, but lots of the episodes have been lately, so it didn't stand out. I laughed at Beartic bemused expression as he shook Dent's hand XD

The trophy villain filled me with nothing but boredom and Hachiku too. Probably the blandest Gym Leader so far.

After watching this episode, I pondered about Brycen's voice because it sounded familiar. Later, I found out that the it was none other than Nobuo Tobita, who voiced Kamille Bidan in Zeta Gundam.

Rant about the alleged hypocrisy of Satoshi, his friends and Hachiku against the poacher's methods of capturing a Pokémon.

You do understand that Hachiku said Ulgamoth is a guardian deity of the mountain, and as such couldn't be just caught as he pleased? While I also wasn't exactly thrilled with the way the poacher was portrayed (hey, the worst writer of the series at work), you can't say he had a right to catch it. If he really wanted it legally, he should have asked for a license or something like that to catch a Pokémon in that reserve, or Hachiku directly for permission.

Rant about the alleged hypocrisy of Satoshi, his friends and Hachiku against the poacher's methods of capturing a Pokémon.

You do understand that Hachiku said Ulgamoth is a guardian deity of the mountain, and as such couldn't be just caught as he pleased? While I also wasn't exactly thrilled with the way the poacher was portrayed (hey, the worst writer of the series at work), you can't say he had a right to catch it. If he really wanted it legally, he should have asked for a license or something like that to catch a Pokémon in that reserve, or Hachiku directly for permission.

Well to be fair I watched it untranslated first and that deity thing is kinda asspull imo. Not to mention it was more of rant on the whole pokemon poacher thing in general which will always piss me off. BTW there is a mention feature you can use instead of rewriting people's words.

@Geodude; Just because it not out of no where at the last minute doesn't mean it an ass pull. To me it a shitting justification that barely makes sense for the writer to demonize someone for trying to catch a pokemon. I never liked poacher mechanics in any episode and I didn't like it in this episode

As has been stated hundreds of times over the years in threads just like this one, the method used to catch Volcarona in this episode is clearly illegal in that world. Catching it in a Pokeball is fair because a Pokemon can always either choose to flee during the battle, or break out of the Pokeball, if it doesn't want to be caught badly enough. But entrapping a Volcarona in a fireproof net is unfair and gives it no choice. I fail to see what's so hard to understand about that. If the hunter had battled and captured the Volcarona properly, then you'd have an argument. He didn't, so you don't.

Think about a real-life equivalent: suppose a law was passed that said you could only hunt using a certain type of rifle. If you chose to hunt using a different type of rifle, perhaps one that allowed you to shoot from a farther distance, you'd be breaking the law, obviously. Complaining would be stupid, because all you would have had to do to avoid breaking the law would have been to use the allowed type of rifle. Maybe it would have been a little more work, but at least you'd be within the law. Same thing here.

Last edited:
@Geodude; But then why would he do it? And why would the authorities care about fairness to pokemon especially since certain pokemon are unable to run away. And that kid in Johto used mean look that's not fair to Entei which is also a deity. And in the games the PC barges into the sacred homes of legendaries the legendaries don't have much choice there. In the games the PC also chases down fleeing pokemon. So the show is vilifing me for playing the games when it's supose to advertise them. That's nice.

@Geodude; But then why would he do it?
You'd have to ask him that.

And why would the authorities care about fairness to pokemon
Why do real-world authorities care about fairness to animals?

And that kid in Johto used mean look that's not fair to Entei which is also a deity.
Can't you at least try to reason things out for yourself? Mean Look is not the same thing as the net the poacher used. There are multiple ways to deal with Mean Look, even in the games. It hardly guarantees a capture.

And in the games the PC barges into the sacred homes of legendaries the legendaries don't have much choice there. In the games the PC also chases down fleeing pokemon. So the show is vilifing me for playing the games when it's supose to advertise them. That's nice.
Games do not equal anime. Everyone knows that. You can barge into people's homes and take stuff from them in every RPG ever made.

@Geodude; I'm pretty sure(I could easily easily be wrong) you're misunderstanding the reason of the law I doubt it means anything to the animals or animal rights people how "fair" there death is dead is dead and captured is captured. It's probably a way of making harder for people to reduce the population and as a safety precaution.

And based on team rocket's success rate I'd put a lot more faith in mean look than a net and still violates the ability to run away and thus that idea of "fairness".

Yes they don't equal the games but how does it negate my point.

I am not obligated to "work things out on my own" I don't like the use of poachers as villian and I have the right to defend my beliefs just as I have the right to not continue this conversation.

@Geodude; I'm pretty sure(I could easily easily be wrong) you're misunderstanding the reason of the law I doubt it means anything to the animals or animal rights people how "fair" there death is dead is dead and captured is captured. It's probably a way of making harder for people to reduce the population and as a safety precaution.
You are indeed missing the point. Well, since you clearly won't listen to simple logic, maybe it IS better that you don't continue this conversation.

@Wyvernphlare;

Shitty justification? It was against the law to capture that Volcarona due to its guardian status. That should be justification enough.

So, my mod skills are apparently a little rusty, and it seems we've gone a little too far here. Discussions such as this should be taken to The Pokemon League forum, it seems. So maybe you guys should do that.

I wonder what TPCi will do this?
season15_ep30_ss1.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom