• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW080: Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Junki Takegami
Storyboard - Kazuomi Koga
Assistant director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation director - Tatsuya Annoura

While on the way to Souryuu City for Satoshi's final badge, a man who had been searching for Dent appears! Before they know it, Satoshi and his friends find themselves shoved into a car and taken to Chikakuno Town ("Nearby Town"). They're taken to the Hattori Manor where a young girl named Momotchi is struggling to choose a starter pokemon that will help her become an A-Class Pokemon Sommelier. Another member of the Hattori family, Pinot Noir, shows up and suggests she goes with the "Bulb Pokemon" Turine, but Momotchi still looks worried. Suddenly, an S-Class Sommelier named "Tabernet" also enters the room! But hasn't Dent seen him before...?

Cilan was the last bastion of heterosexuality, and Pinot Noir should be in the anime. Forever. He's definitely now one of my favorite characters of the day.

As a die hard Sommelier fan, I absolutely LOVED the episode and enjoyed every single moment.

Probably one of the detailed Best Wishes episodes, for me at least. EXQUISITE!

This episode was

tumblr_m4ivmxO2Tb1qgrh49.gif

but seriously this was a fun episode

I am now utterly convinced that Sommeliers are just escaped mental patients. Why are they sniffing people? o_O
CTabernet made this episode as usual, maybe if she spent less time stalking people from the bushes she'd be B-rank by now...

The battle sucked though, Dent get yourself some new strategies please.

This episode... this episode... this episode...

I laughed. I liked it a lot and had a blast watching it. Cabernet, never change you adorable psycho! XD I liked how much detail Dent gave about his process. I like Pinot Noir (did he really match a guy into marrying his Gothiruselle, lol), he and his Choroneko were lulzy. The battle was the only point where I thought the episode could be improved, that and more Cabernet. XD

Burgundy merely wanted to make the episode more heterosexual, but upon the reveal that, instead of being an S Rank Sommelier, she were merely a C Rank one, she clearly did not have the skills to preserve any male-on-male in.

Dear god.. Burgundy is a joke she's still a C rank Sommelier. The writers need to give Cilan a competent rival not a complete joke.

Hmm....expected answer, but it only makes me wonder what Drayden is up to. Anyway, for a Sommelier-off, this is not what I expected. True, this guy is just as flamboyant as Cilan, but he comes off as still not as skilled as him. I like the indication that Cilan is improving, but I wanted Cilan to have someone with differing opinions, but they would prove a point that's equally valid. Oh well, at least it's still entertaining.

Nyeh, this was an all right episode, I guess. I think the fact that I find the whole sommelier thing so dumbfounding kind of hinders my ability to fully appreciate episodes focusing on the whole affair. It's OK as goofy banter and characters being ott on the side and such, but...I dunno. They were basically just trying to make up a little kid's mind for her. When they take it seriously, it still seems like a pretty flimsy raison d'etre to me. Bah, but what do I know.

Dent and Cabernet are still funny, though, don't get me wrong.

So hang on, hang on, back up. Opelucid Gym is closed, and Ash is directed to Homika's Gym. Does this mean he's going to take on Drayden later for another badge? If that's the case, he'll have 9 (or if he battles Shizui too, 10) by the end. This certainly deviates from his usual 8 badge format. Not sure if it matters, but it came to mind.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom