• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW080: Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!

This episode right here, guess who didn't get development?

Everybody in episode? Nobody developed. I can't help but smiling at the idea that after seeing the preview and reading the summaries, all indicating that this would just be a crazy hilarious comedic episode, some people expected this episode to be deep and meaningful, a story of Dent overcoming his darkest deepest fears. It was always clear from the get go this would be mainly just about getting some laughs, which was a nice change of pace after the recent plot heavy episodes. I'm more and more convinced that the Choroneko thing is gonna be Dent's version of Takeshi's thing with Professor Uchikido.

That being said, I wouldn't say the episode was a complete waste on the Dent side. It still showed he's learning new things while traveling with Satoshi because he didn't look for outright compatibility, as he might have done in the past where he was all about the trainer's style matching their pokémon's like in his Gym Battle against Satoshi, but rather looked at what the little girl wanted and matched her with the mushroom, because he learned from Satoshi that if a trainer and a pokémon care for another, they can make it work as well. It's interesting to me how much his approach diverged from Pinot and Cabernet, because that wasn't the case at the beginning of the series. He's considering more factors and getting more accurate in his tastings.

What's the point in having rivals if they're gonna be reduced to Team Rocket fodder-ish levels?(If Pinot appears again) Dento was right, won the battle, and Cabernet was used as a comedy prop most of the time.

Since Dent's character and his goal revolves around helping trainers and mentoring them, it makes every bit of sense. What I am disappointed about this episode's treatment of Cabernet isn't so much that she didn't gain a rank or was blasted off as I would have liked more interactions between her and Dent, more of her learning from him or realizing something from him. Still, she was hilarious in this episode and I can't help but feel that her lack of progress as a sommelière is leading somewhere.

Three kids were thrown into a limo by a stranger in broad daylight and Joi just stands there. Didn't call the police. Didn't yell for the limo to stop. Just stood there like it was unexpected but not something to be concerned over.

The adults in this show are so irresponsible.

Pinot Noir's "tasting time" animation is going to haunt me. His butt. Aaugh. Don't worry, little girl with weird eyes, he scares me too. at least he didn't try to taste Dento's hand, though the sniffing...

Despite some people's insistence that Dento gained "absolutely nothing" from this episode, I will disagree. The scene where he's lying in the field, analyzing the Pokémon at the mansion was a clear application of his training as a Sommelier. Instead of doing what "Tabernet" and Pinot Noir did, and pick out a Pokémon they think is compatible with her, Dento takes into account her desires and comes up, ultimately, with the Pokémon she loved most, using his senses and logical reasoning and not just type matchup and an unfounded opinion of a person's personality. He wanted to know what she thought was best for her - not what he thought was best for her, like "Tabernet" and Pinot Noir did. And not, certainly, what he had done in the past (with Satoshi, with Cabernet).

Something I disliked about this episode was that Cabernet, once again, got the shaft when there was a perfectly good opening to show everyone that she's improved, and there should have been more interactions between her and Dento. I'm beginning to wonder if the writers are going to have her abandon her Sommelier goals and focus on being a Trainer instead - after the last tournament, it's pretty clear to me that's what she's better at. I wonder if she's going to realize that too.

This episode was definitely comedic. But I really wish Cabernet would stop getting screwed by the writers.

I can't help but smiling at the idea that after seeing the preview and reading the summaries, all indicating that this would just be a crazy hilarious comedic episode, some people expected this episode to be deep and meaningful, a story of Dent overcoming his darkest deepest fears. It was always clear from the get go this would be mainly just about getting some laughs, which was a nice change of pace after the recent plot heavy episodes.
Except that was never stated at all, the summary and the picture with the "Black Box Challenge" clearly looked as though Dento was really gonna struggle and Choroneko was something that was really going to affect his character in a way that could cause development, struggle, and back story.(Sort of like how people expected such in the Fuuro episode) But it didn't happen, because the writers treated it as a joke. Not to mention the fact that the writers are having this episode nearly paralleled to Iris's Ice fear episode next week. It's only logically people expected some sort of development on his end. This "fear" was treated as some fanservice-y joke. He got over it so quickly he didn't even hesitate what-so-ever to pull off that tired old "Shell Smash + Attack" strategy. He took out another A-Class sommelier with absolutely no struggle or problem.

I'm more and more convinced that the Choroneko thing is gonna be Dent's version of Takeshi's thing with Professor Uchikido.
Takeshi's situation was more of a "don't mention it because it makes me sad", while Dento's is more so treated as fear or prejudice. Of course Takeshi couldn't get development for something like that, even then Dento gets more screen time so it shouldn't be a prob.

Since Dent's character and his goal revolves around helping trainers and mentoring them, it makes every bit of sense. What I am disappointed about this episode's treatment of Cabernet isn't so much that she didn't gain a rank or was blasted off as I would have liked more interactions between her and Dent, more of her learning from him or realizing something from him. Still, she was hilarious in this episode and I can't help but feel that her lack of progress as a sommelière is leading somewhere.
Make that more so Dento's lack of and her lack of development in a perfectly chanced episode that could have finally really taken both their characters somewhere in the "development" department. But, for the most part it ended up being more of the same with Dento being the one to realize the problem, solve it, beat Choroneko easily, and lastly Cabernet being sent flying like a rag toy. Dento literally smashed and attacked his fear head on and beat it, what can the writers do with it in the future? Oh yeah, not much or nothing. Portraying Pinot Noir, another A-Class sommelier on Dento's level who should be able to put up a struggle toward Dento, as being incompetent by quite a bit, in comparison to Dento, in both battling and tasting.

Speaking of which, I'm getting so sick of the writers, they're obviously trolling by giving Dento many episodes where absolutely nothing happens. It's a load of croc how much attention and screen time he gets in these regards, episodes like this prove it.

Except that was never stated at all, the summary and the picture with the "Black Box Challenge" clearly looked as though Dento was really gonna struggle and Choroneko was something that was really going to affect his character in a way that could cause development, struggle, and back story.(Sort of like how people expected such in the Fuuro episode) But it didn't happen, because the writers treated it as a joke.

I'm pretty sure that was just our excitement speaking. I mean, for the longest time, not much was known about the episode other than the fact that a sommelier was going to battle Dento with a Choroneko. Of course that's what the main conversation was going to be about. It's a fairly misleading advertising strategy, but it's definitely NOT the first time they've used it.

This "fear" was treated as some fanservice-y joke.
fanservice
fanservice

I really fail to see how this is a horrible thing because I personally liked it since it was a service...to the fans...

I'm not even bent out of shape that his fear won't be explained; it'll come or not come with due time.

Portraying Pinot Noir, another A-Class sommelier on Dento's level who should be able to put up a struggle toward Dento, as being incompetent by quite a bit, in comparison to Dento, in both battling and tasting.
I'm actually a bit concerned with this, because if they downplay Pinot Noir like that, it might mean that he's just a one-shot :( Though, BW has been really good about bringing back rivals (even Luke, wtf?), so I won't completely discredit it. Either way, it was a 1 v 1 and perhaps Pinot Noir's overconfidence got to the best of him considering he didn't take into account that speed might not have been the best strategy against a Crustle (seeing how it's slower than everything anyways). I think both of them were fairly distracted to give it their all.

Speaking of which, I'm getting so sick of the writers, they're obviously trolling by giving Dento many episodes where absolutely nothing happens. It's a load of croc how much attention and screen time he gets in these regards, episodes like this prove it.

Considering I've only gone back and seen 2 episodes in MONTHS, I don't think they're overly focusing on him (hi anime section missed ya).

I really fail to see how this is a horrible thing because I personally liked it since it was a service...to the fans...

I'm not even bent out of shape that his fear won't be explained; it'll come or not come with due time.
Because he easily overcame this "fear" without batting an eye. Choroneko came out and he was surprised and then Shell Smashed and Rock Wrecked klepto kitty to death.
I'm actually a bit concerned with this, because if they downplay Pinot Noir like that, it might mean that he's just a one-shot :( Though, BW has been really good about bringing back rivals (even Luke, wtf?), so I won't completely discredit it. Either way, it was a 1 v 1 and perhaps Pinot Noir's overconfidence got to the best of him considering he didn't take into account that speed might not have been the best strategy against a Crustle (seeing how it's slower than everything anyways). I think both of them were fairly distracted to give it their all.
He probably is just a one-shot given he left on good terms with Dento and lost to him so easily. Plus Dento sent out his Iwaperesu second. The fear didn't even hold him back. I was really expecting some back story or some type of development. But alas, nope.

Considering I've only gone back and seen 2 episodes in MONTHS, I don't think they're overly focusing on him (hi anime section missed ya).
Casual screen time says hi also.

Because he easily overcame this "fear" without batting an eye. Choroneko came out and he was surprised and then Shell Smashed and Rock Wrecked klepto kitty to death.

I don't think he overcame his fear of Choroneko. Even Misty has been known to ignore her fear of bugs in times of necessity (or at least, I feel like she has? XD). Dento's not so afraid that it's crippling him from recognizing that he has a job to do...

And he definitely showed some initial discomfort, so I think it was in the back of his mind all the time. It's kinda like walking on a high wire when you're afraid of heights. You're scared out of your mind, but you know that if you let your fear overtake you, you might lose balance and fall. At the same time, once you've walked across that rope, it doesn't mean that you've cured yourself from that fear, it was just momentarily suspended to help you get through the situation.

He probably is just a one-shot given he left on good terms with Dento and lost to him so easily.

I'mma keep on hoping, especially since we know there's gonna be BW2 :p

Casual screen time says hi also.
Doesn't everyone get casual screentime?
Maybe Dento's presence just seems more prominent because he's a VERY vocal character. Anything he does just seems to be multiplied by 10 because of his personality ._.'

I don't think he overcame his fear of Choroneko. Even Misty has been known to ignore her fear of bugs in times of necessity (or at least, I feel like she has? XD). Dento's not so afraid that it's crippling him from recognizing that he has a job to do...
He was affected, we didn't really see a huge struggle in his character and how the fear could truly hold him back. That makes for interesting battles and development, and it's because we didn't see those insecurities and shortcomings is why it can be looked at as Dento overcoming his fear along with Iwaperesu eating Choroneko like a sandwich.

Doesn't everyone get casual screentime?
Maybe Dento's presence just seems more prominent because he's a VERY vocal character. Anything he does just seems to be multiplied by 10 because of his personality ._.'

Nah, he gets more there's no denying that. Even then he has an upcoming episode where he faces off against Pochama. Add that to the, off the top of my head :p, stamp rally business, Detective sommelier, Fishing sommelier, this episode, sommelier revenge ep, gym battle against Fuuro, the Pod episode, as well as other episodes with casual screen time,ex. (hello Science Sommelier and the Professor Icarus interactions and his more so contributions to the episode then Satoshi or Iris, Subway Master and how he met them and being a Metro sommelier, and other stuff) and it's not too surprising.

Pinot Noir is quite possibly the most unattractive character to ever grace this show. God.

As someone who thinks Dent is a pretty good character at best, so was this episode. I see a lot of this sorta stuff as more weird than anything else. I really don't get all the fangasming over Dent, but whatever.

Moral of this episode: Let your children choose on their own instead of forcing them to choose what you think it best for them to make them happy. I personally think that this moral was executed well with the girl not speaking throughout the episode, representing how in real life children don't have a say in society and with want they want to have and do in their lives. I also liked how she was the most mature and sane out despite being a child. But the question is: Why this moral? The show is mostly directed at children around the age of 3 to 12. Maybe it was directed to the parents/guardians that may be watching it too? I guess the children can relate to the girl.

The girl did turn out to be pretty relate-able for me. I remember being a child, always wanting to be listened and respected for the choices I make, only to be ignored and not be allowed to say a single word because of my youth. "You don't understand. You're too young. Go play with something. Act your age. Shut up.", which is similar to the treatment she got.

Regarding Cilan, I liked how he used his detective skills to realize that Foongus was her friend from being a Detective Sommelier without getting all sparkly and wearing the hat he stole from Sherlock Holmes, which proves that he doesn't need to get all hyperactive and sparkly over what he likes doing to play a role in episodes. I also liked how Ash and Iris helped Cilan by trying to find the Foongus. It gave them a role in the episode instead of just watching and being shoved in the background. The support they gave to Cilan in the limo was good too. Honestly, I still don't get this "Cilan, Ash and Iris aren't friends." stuff. Their friendship was shining a lot in this episode, being another reason why this is my favourite trio. The golden moment was when Ash told Iris that he was hearing somebody screaming in the sky, with Iris telling Ash that it was nothing and to keep on looking for the Foongus. That will be a moment to remember for the ages.

Burgundy was a joke as always, bringing more humour and fun to the episode. As for development, I wanted Burgundy to brag about becoming a T-Class Sommelier(which sadly did not happen), with Cilan teasing her telling her that it was all thanks to what he taught her in the tournaments. It's a little conversation that I wish it did happen, but there's always another episode to flesh the rivalry out.

There was an error in the marriage shot. The Gothitelle's hands were black instead of pink.

Overall, a good episode to this nearly ending season.

Last edited:
I kinda wish the show would go out of its way to make the characters of the day look this good in every episode. At times, it feels like the characters of the day are pumped out by some barely sentient machine completely devoid of the concept of artful aesthetics. These characters actually showed personality just in their appearance, which is a good thing.

Also, Burgundy just can't catch a break can she?

Burgundy finally gets her first episode outside of a tournament following her debut... aaand she's still treated more the same. I hope she improves soon, or she'll just be remembered as an underdeveloped rival. Well, at least she was entertaining, and her blasting off TR style was hilarious.

As for the episode itself, eh, it was all right for what it was. Crustle is one of the most overused Pokemon of BW and I'd like Cilan to use Stunfisk more often though. After this I'm fully expecting to finding out what Cilan's problem with Purrloin is eventually.

Except that was never stated at all

I think Pinot's butt thrust and Cabernet in drag in the preview spoke for themselves as the purpose of this episode being comedic. Again, Dent doesn't trust Choroneko and feels uneasy around them, but I doubt it's anything that needs to be adressed. If we learn more, great; if we don't, oh well it's still lulzy. XD

Dento being the one to realize the problem, solve it

What's interesting to me is that Pinot Noir acted when he was sommeliering kinda like Dent acted in Satoshi's Gym Battle, in that he was about compatibility between trainers and Pokémon based on their style, not realizing that if a Pokémon and its trainer were friends and really fought for one another, they could still accomplish a lot and even beat more compatible foes. The episode showed what Dent gained by traveling with Satoshi and how his methods are different from other sommeliers now. That's enough for me.

I totally agree though that they could have done a whole lot more with Cabernet in this episode. She was hilarious, but I would have liked to see her join the gang in helping the little girl and actually trying to listen to Dent. I would have like to see her being more integrated in the plot than just watching it on the sidelines.

Conclusion: Shell Smash is overpowered, game or anime.

I somewhat liked the little girl... She looks kinda cute even her eyes is too big XD

Pinot Noir is out of place... he shouldn't be in Pokemon... he freaked me out....

Dento's nose is better than any dog i guess.....

Cabernet really shouldn't disguise the way TRio does...

Last edited:
This, this is just not natural:

tumblr_m4nhb1ULff1r2en1ko1_500.gif
I love the amount of out-of-context moments this episode had.

There sure was plenty of smelling going on. Yet Dent made it look cute, but oh god Cabernet's was so disturbing.

Cabernet really should have thought hard before deciding to disguise herself as a grown man and sniff a little girl.

Dent's Iwapalace's one-shot defeat of Pinot's Choroneko is accurate when you compare it with the games. No matter how high level a Choroneko is, you're guaranteed to beat it in one hit with a Shell Break powered Rock Cannon from an Iwapalace due to a Choroneko's low defence. Heck you wouldn't even need to use Shell Break.

I liked that Dent managed to do his best to keep his composure steady when battling Pinot Noir's Choroneko, just like Iris did when battling Langley's Tsunbear. The sight of Choroneko caused him to tremble, badly (even more so than Iris has done whenever she often sees an Ice-type Pokémon) however Dent must have known that any show of fear would cost him the match as it could effect his battling style and his Pokémon. Dent's composure is great.

With Cabernet/Burgundy and Pinot Noir, I wonder if Dent/Cilan is the only Sommelier without a wine-based name.

Last edited:
LOL at Iris' reaction to the Opelucid Gym being closed... XD scared that Drayden will tell her what a tsukaenai yatsu she is...
As for the rest of the ep - it was nice... though I wish we'd at least learn more about Cilan's fear of Purrloin, if not even conclude it... but hopefully they'll do it eventually by the end of BW

This, like, totally...
Iris and Cilan both get more or less the same amount of screen time
It's simply that Iris is more calm in personality, isn't going crazy over any random thing and is less likely to jump at the chances to battle or do things
Cilan's personality is more HI GUYS I'M LIKE TOTALLY IN YOUR FACE K? OMG SPARKLES!!!11 IT'S TASTING TIME! I'M A ____ CONOSSEUR!!!!!!!!!! *add some more sparkles here*
So... yeah... that's all there is to it... they just have different personalities... and some fans sadly decided to exaggerate things (possibly because of some Iris hate)
They're equals, anyone who says otherwise is blowing things out of proportion

Nah, he gets more there's no denying that. Even then he has an upcoming episode where he faces off against Pochama.

So what? The previews prove Dawn will also have some interactions with Iris
It's also likely that during that EU arc Drayden will appear so we'll have some Iris stuff, in addition to her apparently battling Cynthia
(not to mention how right after this Cilan ep we got an Iris ep, which came after a two parter Ash focused eps with another two parter Ash focused ep coming up soon - I think this shows pretty good the importance of each of the trio... Ash is the star, Iris/Cilan are sharing the role of sidekicks equally, that's all)

Some things I had forgot to say (or rather I meant to post them for a while but I didn't know how to word it):

So anyone notice that Dent pretty much 'behaved' himself throughout this episode? Not one sparkling moment (heck he even got one in the Pod episode). In fact the only times Dent reacted in an over-the-top manner was when he freaked out over seeing a Choroneko and being excited about going to Tachiwaki City, with neither of those having anything to do with him as a Pokémon Sommelier. The only scene we saw near a drama moment from Dent was during his imagination spot, however it was the most laid back of his imagination spots so far. Basically Dent was almost the most normal acting Pokémon Sommelier in this episode, it shows how different Dent's behaviour is whenever he's helping someone as a Pokémon Sommelier compared to when he's battling someone. There he tends to be smug and arrogant. Pinot Noir got all of the fabulous and sparkling moments.

By the way Pinot Noir said to Dent "Next time, I won't lose." we should hold that into thought (this ain't Kanto).

For the first time Iris got to call another Pokémon Sommelier a pain. Funny how she hasn't done it with Cabernet.

That's because nicking a Purrloin in the toe and blasting off Cabernet is a great way to get RID of your fear. :D

He didn't get over it, he merely sucked it up and sent out an offensive Pokemon to OBLITERATE it. XD I really hope they do go into his fear. It made me more interested now by the fact his poor little knees were shaking. D'aaaw.

I loved this episode. I loved his mind theatre...especially with him relaxing in the grass. I was surprised he was so calm. I really think his "Tasting Time" is almost like a double-edged sword for him. While he gets a nice power up, it clouds his judgement at times. Though, this is just in my opinion. XD

What was it...what was it...oh and I actually felt choked up at the end of this episode. That wasn't wut I wanted to say though.

Last edited:
I expected more to be honest. I was imagining the whole Cabernet thing to be more of a feature point than it was. I felt like there could have easily been more funny moments with the potential at hand. It wasn't bad for a filler though. The characters were pretty likable, even though the little girl was a bit creepy. Obviously not as creepy as Pinot Noir. He reminded me slightly of Harley. It might be fun to see him again. Poor Cabernet, she never gets a break and now she's been given the stooge duty, even blasting off like TR. Surely the whole basis of any kind of sommeliering is natural ingenuity? Yet he couldn't spot Cabernet in that ridiculously bad disguise. Maybe his true talent lies in simply having the qualities of a sniffer dog.

Just watched this episode (first Best Wishes one I've seen in a while) I thought it had a nice ending :). But I have a question, see during Oak's Live Caster, when they showed the preview for the 15th Movie tickets, did they seriously play the Cheeky Girls "Cheeky Holiday" song? WTF was my reaction when I was watching it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom