• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW081: Tesseed Research Institute! Iris and Baivanilla!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I found this episode to pretty cool.

Nice to see another rival again. Thank goodness Vanilluxe stayed with Georgia.

Also, Oshawott. Thank you for this moment.

1338459696215.jpg

It seems Oshawott will hit on anything that moves, if this episode is any indication. Maybe Vanilluxe's tendancy to wink suggestively had something to do with his infatuation. That or he just really likes ice-cream.

Enjoyed this more than last weeks. Better 'mons involved and a more interesting plot.

-I know people are always on about Iris and Langley's little back and forth arguments, but I still find them really enjoyable. Iris is slowly becoming more tolerant each time they first meet, I noticed. More 'Not this crap again' than 'kodomo ne', y'know? And by the end of the episode she seems to be on good terms with Langley, though Langley herself is still a little aloof. Wouldn't have that any other way, though!

Everyone interupting Langley as she introduced herself to the scientist, and then her blocking Iris' view of the Tesseed lab by hogging the window. Fun stuff. Also, it's nice to see how she interacts with others that aren't Iris and her pals, though it's kind of weird to see her be so polite.

Mijumaru...dude. I know Emonga is way out of your league but when you start lusting after Ice Cream, your desperation is showing.
I figured it'd be a running gag throughout the episode, but he got over that pretty quickly. I guess they figured Iris and Kibago wouldn't be able to carry being split up on their own and chucked in Miju to make things more interesting?

Also;
DARE DA?!
Oh dear, a silhouette shaped exactly like the floating ice cream pokemon we saw not even a millisecond beforehand! I, for one, am stumped!

I know Oshawott is supposed to be funny, but this is the first time I actually laughed with him.

It's great to see Georgia again and that she has another ice type. Glad they didn't end the whole Iris-Georgia thing in this episode.

It's kind of funny that Ash did nothing in the first 3/4 of the episode until he sended Pignite. It reminded me somehow of Johto.

I liked this episode for various reasons.

- While the plot was kinda rehashed from a few other episodes we've seen in the past, it was still enjoyable. I liked Tesseed's introduction even though it didn't get a lot of screentime, it's definitely memorable.

- Langley, never change. I liked her in this episode, she was funny and I liked her facial expressions, etc. I also liked that she really got to play hero for a while and hang with Satoshi and Dent. I liked that she showed some real concern for her own pokémon but from others too. I liked the moments with the guys too. Another trio that could have been better than the one we have now... I liked her teasing Iris at the end only to have it turned on her. She was so lost and her face was funny.

- Mijumaru. I don't really like or dislike Mijumaru, nor do I really care about him, but I gotta say, even though he was as useless as a flashlight without batteries in this episode, still glad he was included because he had some funny moments.

- Biggest lol of the episode for me: Maggyo, just Maggyo. His sitting on Tesseed's face was priceless. We need more Maggyo. XD

- Swanna armada was kinda cool, though it kinda made the entire problem of the episode seem like too easy to solve.

Things I didn't like

- Iris. She was the least interesting part of this episode, plain and simple. She was just there throughout the episode and pretty much did nothing but scream and be scared. I wasn't expecting some deep meaningful Iris gets over her fear of cold moment, because the Tsunbear episode already showed us she had no problem with ice-type pokémon once she hung around them for like... a few seconds, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed to see her get over that in milliseconds, but this episode just highlighted how broken her character is. Iris, Dragon master wannabe is in danger, who she gonna call? Doryuuzu and Emonga, after being told that electric and ground type pokémon were affected by the moss. After that, not once did she try to use Kibago, not one did she seem resourceful or actually capable, which just highlights what a shit job the writers are doing with her character. She and Baivanilla had nothing in terms of interesting interactions and she provided very little in terms of entertainment. Her one redeeming moment was her last conversation with Langley, but to be honest, the way her VA delivered the lines was just flat and unentertaining.

- Baivanilla It started off good, but it just lost its personality and freshness quick.

I'm confused to why Iris didn't get Axew to help. I'm tired of Axew doing nothing lately. Yeah it probably wouldn't have done any good but it would have been nice to see some effort. A much better idea then sending an Electric and Ground type out. I wish this was more Langley focused than it was. The Vanilluxe was hers after all (blah blah blah Iris development blah) I know but it would have been nice still. But yeah, loved the Stunfisk part. I was worried that Ash was coming in to steal the spotlight as usual with Pikachu but that made up for it. Finally its getting some airtime in which it's not being humiliated.

I doubt I'll remember this episode a year from now. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really do anything to make me sit up and pay attention, either.

- Iris. She was the least interesting part of this episode, plain and simple. She was just there throughout the episode and pretty much did nothing but scream and be scared. I wasn't expecting some deep meaningful Iris gets over her fear of cold moment, because the Tsunbear episode already showed us she had no problem with ice-type pokémon once she hung around them for like... a few seconds, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed to see her get over that in milliseconds, but this episode just highlighted how broken her character is. Iris, Dragon master wannabe is in danger, who she gonna call? Doryuuzu and Emonga, after being told that electric and ground type pokémon were affected by the moss. After that, not once did she try to use Kibago, not one did she seem resourceful or actually capable, which just highlights what a shit job the writers are doing with her character. She and Baivanilla had nothing in terms of interesting interactions and she provided very little in terms of entertainment. Her one redeeming moment was her last conversation with Langley, but to be honest, the way her VA delivered the lines was just flat and unentertaining.

No she wasn't. She ran away before she was told about it.

Well, but Iris has Super Dragon Master Plot Skills, she should've known anyway!

Just like the Cilan episode, this falls flat in what I expected: Iris character development. It all seemed to be a non-issue in the long run. At least we get to see Georgia. I'm not the one that normally thinks like this, but I seriously don't know what is up with Osha. Normally, I'd take this to mean the Vanilluxe is female, but ever since Purrloin, I'm not too sure.

I have yet to see the episode, but I'm looking forward to the interactions Langley has between the group as well as seeing some Magyo. As for Iris managing to brave her fear over Ice-types, uh.... that didn't really interest me. Don't get me wrong it's great that she did, but I've never had any interest in Iris's Ice-type fear as it's not a fear which effects her in a serious way, she's just scared of them because the Dragon type has rubbed off on her. Iris could still become a Dragon Master while still having that fear, plus we know she is capable of battling Ice-types.

The episode was interesting, but I spent most of the time saying "wtf is going on". Though I did enjoy seeing Langley again, her interactions with the group were fun to watch.

Did anyone catch the dialogue between Langley and Iris at the end? I only heard something about Langley wanting to become an Ice Type master or something? Which would make sense if she hates Dragons so much.

But my favorite part of the episode was definitely Maggyo's facial expressions

904wi0.jpg

I love it so much when he makes this face. He's just....so blissfully happy. :')

OK, anyone else here who didn't immediately realize that Swanna can't learn Blizzard? That's one error I don't blame them for making. Seriously, how random is that?

Just like the Cilan episode, this falls flat in what I expected: Iris character development. It all seemed to be a non-issue in the long run. At least we get to see Georgia. I'm not the one that normally thinks like this, but I seriously don't know what is up with Osha. Normally, I'd take this to mean the Vanilluxe is female, but ever since Purrloin, I'm not too sure.

?? this property is not included in this show.

believe it or not, this episode made me love vaniluxe...I mean come on it really looks cute...despite that ever since pokemon came out,and with every expectation of the next gen pokemon(s), I have never EVER expected that there will be an Ice-Cream pokemon !! o_O

There wasn't a lot going on in this episode. Unfortunately, Iris didn't get a lot of character development in this episode, although considering that the only pokemon that were seemingly unaffected by the moss knew Ice-type attacks, which meant that she was forced to use the Vanilluxe that she is "afraid" of, it couldn't be helped.

OK, anyone else here who didn't immediately realize that Swanna can't learn Blizzard? That's one error I don't blame them for making. Seriously, how random is that?

What about those people who assumed that Tranquill could learn Wing Attack in the games? Seriously, this is the second move error in the BW anime so far. The writers in both of those episodes may have been different, but there should be at least some consistency as far as pokemon and movesets. This isn't like Kanto or Johto where pokemon nearly always use moves that they can't learn in the games.

So not much in the way of character development for Iris in this ep, but no more or less than the last ep with Cilan.

What about those people who assumed that Tranquill could learn Wing Attack in the games?

Yeah, I mean, have they read Wing Attack's description?

The target is struck with large, imposing wings spread wide to inflict damage.

What kind of Bath Salts are the writers on to make this leap in logic

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom