• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW081: Tesseed Research Institute! Iris and Baivanilla!

So I forgot that Today is anime day! Reason Iris Episode! :(
Nothing special a boring filler episode! I'm glad Iris didn't caught Vanilluxe! and mad Georgia has it! Don't like her party at all!

It was nice to see Iris finally get some character development as well as some good interactions with Langley. Was she teasing Iris about becoming an Ice Master now or something?

- Iris. She was the least interesting part of this episode, plain and simple. She was just there throughout the episode and pretty much did nothing but scream and be scared. I wasn't expecting some deep meaningful Iris gets over her fear of cold moment, because the Tsunbear episode already showed us she had no problem with ice-type pokémon once she hung around them for like... a few seconds, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed to see her get over that in milliseconds, but this episode just highlighted how broken her character is. Iris, Dragon master wannabe is in danger, who she gonna call? Doryuuzu and Emonga, after being told that electric and ground type pokémon were affected by the moss. After that, not once did she try to use Kibago, not one did she seem resourceful or actually capable, which just highlights what a shit job the writers are doing with her character. She and Baivanilla had nothing in terms of interesting interactions and she provided very little in terms of entertainment. Her one redeeming moment was her last conversation with Langley, but to be honest, the way her VA delivered the lines was just flat and unentertaining.

No she wasn't. She ran away before she was told about it.

She did ran away but Dento informed her before Doryuzu/Emo scene.

Maybe she didn't want Axew to fall under the same thing that excadrill and Emolga

Nothing more then a boring filler episode !
I hate boring filer like this !
It's delay all the important episode I wanna see !
Like now I have to wait 1 more weak for Pokewood episode and 2 more weak for season 2 !
Although , I have no interest in all those season 2 episode ! (Disappointing episode title)
But I wanna see the new Opening and all the spoiler in it !
Anyway ,
Because of this useless episode I have to wait !
I wise boring episdoe like this just disappear !
Oh , Also
I really feel disappointed that Ash doesn't have any pokemon with Ice type move So at the end everyone has to rely on Gerogia's ice pokemon in this episode !
A lot of people thought that Oshawott gonna learn a Ice move in this episode but it simply used as a comic relief again.
So ,This episode strongly suggest that Ash should have all type of move in his disposal.
This episode also made me strongly wise for Gerogia to be Ash's rival and her to be same aged as Ash and her to Argue with Ash !
The only positive Outcome of this episode is that Iris get over her fear of Ice pokemon !
I mean , She did right ! huh .

Last edited:
This episode did not impress me too. Ash and Clian didn't do much in this episode and Iris even though she is my fav female in Pokemon did nothing in this episode but to scared and cute at the same time. I love the part where Ash save the day by coming in and ending that part of the episode. The Oshawott bits were not to funny netheir was Iris fear of Geogia new Ice cream Pokemon even thought that made Iris cute in this episode. She did do an Ash move when she call Exidrill and Emolga and not using Axew. What made Iris an intressing charter in the first for me that she is still a mystery to everyone and still more to do with her charter

Nothing more then a boring filler episode !
I hate boring filer like this !
It's delay all the important episode I wanna see !
Like now I have to wait 1 more weak for Pokewood episode and 2 more weak for season 2 !
Although , I have no interest in all those season 2 episode ! (Disappointing episode title)
But I wanna see the new Opening and all the spoiler in it !
Anyway ,
Because of this useless episode I have to wait !
I wise boring episdoe like this just disappear !

If you're not actually going to comment on the episode itself then don't post.

I have viewed the episode and it was good. However, just like me being uninterested in her phobia of Ice-type Pokémon, Iris managing to brave her fear of Ice types didn't interest me at all. All that happened was Iris gets stuck on a roof with a Pokémon she fears due to its type and constantly expanding electricity-charged moss and then Baivanilla saves her. And then Iris, after being surprised that an Ice-type Pokémon would help her, ends up working together with Baivanilla. That's not her struggling to get over something, that's just Iris ending up being rescued by a Pokémon she's afraid of and realizing that maybe Ice-types aren't so bad. Which doesn't surprise me as it was never some deep or meaningful fear anyway. I did not see Iris's Ice-type fear as an important part of her character and thus wouldn't care if she didn't overcome it, I put it in a similar league to Kasumi's Bug-type phobia.

Now the parts I did enjoy about this episode were: Langley's interactions with the group as well as her character portrayal in this episode, Mijumaru being Mijumaru, everyone managing to pitch in to fix the problem and Magyo. Because Magyo makes everything great. Also it should be obvious that Mijumaru has taken Takeshi's role as the womaniser, before this ep I was under the assumption that Mijumaru was into cute girls that are near his height.

Is she actually overcame her fear of Ice-types? Is that actually said in the episode?

Ferroseed release spikes that grow moss instantly. Freeze the moss and it all just vanishes right away. What?

The episode itself was all right though; it had its good and not so good moments. Stunfisk and especially Oshawott were entertaining; Georgia was welcome to make another appearance outside of a tournament that she is training another Ice type; but Iris... I guess had a nice adventure on her own with Oshawott and Georgia's Vanilluxe, but not so much for her in the way of development. She still refuses to use Axew to help her out of a jam, further showing her lack of effort to help Axew grow and eventually evolve, and I feel it would have been better if she had bonded with Vanilluxe, just to show her suddenly growing more accustomed to the floating ice cream during her time with it (I guess most likely "her") didn't seem to come from nowhere.

I suppose that just because Iris didn't get any development doesn't make this a bad or wasted episode, but... that is something she could still use.

I just realized something. I notice that the scent of the moss only affected the Electric types and Ground types. Does this mean that any Pokemon that are not those 2 types aren't affected by the smell?

Anyways, it's a good episode. Nice to see Vanilluxe, my favorite Ice type.

I guess , I liked one thing in this episode !
When Everybody failed , Ash show up & take control over thing !
He defected those Ferroseed and then he used Pikachu to adsorb their additional electricity ! He do it without Cilan telling him to do it ! IT WAS HIS OWN IDEA !
It kind a make him look Cooler and Smarter then he was at the beginning of ''Best Wish !
He even knew how to help those Ferroseed ! The Old Ash probably look at Cilan or Brock to know what to Do !
I guess I was tried of Ash relying on the Older traveling companion all the time in Emergency !
I would like if Ash does thing like that on his own rather then following Brock/Cilan command !
I would love one more episode where Trip and other character get defect by a Bad guy but Ash show up right in time and defect him & then Ruin his plan.
Plus , I would like if all character (Cast & Referring) was attracted to Ash's personality but however noone show's much attraction toward Ash personality beside Pokemon & Cast character's !

OH GOD... Oshawott, I like you so much, you cute little otter <3 I think it's time I officially declare it: Osha became my new favorite now and joined Piplup and Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu as my most favorite Poké ever (till Pip came I used to say my favorite is a tie of the Pika line, but Pip joined them since then and now Osha did the same... so I guess now I have a tie of 5 for my favorites)
Wait, this ep was about Iris and not about Osha? oh... ok... eh... good for her to get an ep, I guess? this was better than last ep in my opinion, but more thanks to Osha and Georgia rather than Iris...
Like... seriously, Iris... you were JUST told that ground and electric type Poké are unable to battle in this place and feel sick (or whatever that was) if you send them out... what do you do? send your Excadrill and Emolga... *facepalm*
Actually, no, that wasn't the facepalm moment... when she realized how ridiculous of her it was to send out these two, she just return them into their balls and tells Axew not to worry, that everything will be ok... well, what the hell are you planning to do in order for things to be ok??? just stand there and hope for the best?....... she didn't even bother to AT LEAST tell Osha or Vanilluxe to do something - they acted on their own!
Iris... that baby dragon you got... USE IT... like, LET THE POOR THING BATTLE... like, it wants to kill stuff... LET IT DO IT...
I really think someone should inform Iris that Axew is NOT a hair accessory, seriously guys... it's like... I don't know...
ANYWAY... it was nice seeing Iris manage to get "friends" with an ice Poké... though I have to LOL at Iris giving commands to one of Georgia's Poké - ESPECIALLY when she did it even when Georgia were near her - it seemed as if only Beartic is Georgia's while Vanilluxe is Iris'...
I think that Georgia also kind of joked (or maybe was even serious?) about this at the end of the ep when she told Iris that she (Iris) should become an ice type master rather than dragon type master, since she had such a good bond with Vanilluxe (which then was answered by Iris being all "lol no way! I'll be a dragon master! and I'll do it by completely ignoring my one and only dragon")
So yeah... Oshawott is awesome, that's the conclusion I came to after watching this ep... Osha <3

Last edited:
She did ran away but Dento informed her before Doryuzu/Emo scene.
Indeed, Iris forgets that the moss has that effect and slaps herself on the head for making that mistake.

Finally saw this episode. Hey, I like it.

-Iris she was such a kid this episode, haha no kidding. Iris got enriching character development. I enjoyed how we truly see her struggle and how she's out of options and can only really rely on Baivanilla, a Pokemon she fears, in her desperate time of need just like a child would. She didn't have the answers to it all. It shows that she needed help and couldn't do it all by herself, and I liked that. With Dento's fear of Choroneko it was more of "pop, now you're gone Choroneko :)" rather than an actual struggle and development with high stakes. I liked how Iris said that it agitated her quite a bit, but either way Langley's Baivanilla saved her. She tells Langley to tell Baivanilla she said thank you, and that was just a perfect way to end the episode. She might not have completely gotten over her Ice-type fear(this is left ambiguous) but if she didn't this episode, this was a step in the right direction. Her saying she couldn't believe an Ice-type Pokemon was her salvation was just so choice and I really cared that line, because you really get the feeling she cares for her new icy friend.

-The Mij was awesome, throwing his hotachi and picking it up and his lusting over ice cream-shaped plus sizes XD I like how his Water Gun worked temporarily, but after a while made the moss grow faster. Nice to see his ol' reflective hotachi trick appearing again, since he hasn't used in quite some time. Poor guy let himself be zapped out of concern for Satoshi-Tachi. He's still my favorite of Satoshi's Isshu Pokemon, that's just one of the reasons, the guy just has a certain sway about himself.

-Langley, I liked Langley a lot this episode, as always. Nice to see Iris and Langley left on good terms. Langley teasing Iris about aiming to be an "Ice Master" since she meshed so well with Baivanilla was a fun interaction. Seeing Tsunbear and Langley getting to play hero was great. Iris commanding Baivanilla and Langley Tsunbear was awesome. I really really liked how Iris is yelling and saying things were all over for her, and only can turn to Baivanilla and screams for her help AND LANGLEY WATCHES THE WHOLE THING GO DOWN, VIA CAMERA XD It shows she seeing Iris during her weaker moments. Langley's concern is adorable, she's so concerned over her Baivanilla's safety which is a big step-up in her character development. In the Donamite she showed thanks after Kirikizan was knocked out and here she is doing the same again with Tsunbear's fatigue and Baivanilla being lost, I really like it because in the Don Battle Tournament she showed zero concern for Komatana after her loss, she instead proceeds to get annoyed at her loss and tells her to get up after she's been knocked down in a temperamental way, same way for when Tsunbear was knocked out by Doryuuzu. She even forcefully tells Iris to protect Baivanilla no matter what.
THIS SCENE RIGHT HERE!
"I caught Baivanilla just for you Dragon Master, Iris!"
"I told you I'm not a Dragon Master yet."
Langley's teasing and Iris refuting her claims was funny.

-Baivanilla. I liked her so much, her "fastness" for Dragon-type dudes and how she just really likes Dragon males in particular rather then Kibago. I thought it was funny Langley wanted moss to get rid of the Blizzard Pokemon's lusting over Dragon boys, and to power up its moves. I like how Crei said he would contact Langley when the Ice-type power-up moss is made. I totally look forward to a moss powered-up Baivanilla for Langley in the future. She was really cool.

Great development Iris episode, it was nice. I could totally see the writers taking a break from the development with the next Kairyu episode in BW2. Not saying I want a break, because development is always nice. But, I could totally see the writers focusing more on her development in her goal rather than development in her character. Either way, I'm satisfied and it's a job well done.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom