• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW083 + BW084 Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! Part 1 and Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palpitoad would make loads more sense, both for the poorly-planned intent of giving the underused Pokemon some spotlight (which has to backfire given that Ash is blowing a full team on Homika's 3 Pokemon and evidence shows that this is coming down to Pikachu vs Garbodor by the end) and in terms of type logic. Still, realistically I think Oshawott will be the the last Pokemon Ash uses in this battle, because like I said before, I would be sincerely shocked and amazed that they would actually shelve Oshawott. I think Oshawott could use some downtime, personally, but the advertisers have this hard-on for shoving cutesy water starters down our throats in the anime for the past 6 years. I don't see that changing any time soon; especially not for the sake of logic.

And I might get smited for this, but is it really so hard to just say "I disagree with the notion that the 6 vs 3 element will ruin the battle" instead of "I don't get why people are making a big deal over the 6 vs 3 thing"? Those of us who have an issue with the Ash/Homika battle setup have explained quite thoroughly why this gimmick on principle alone is highly likely to end Ash's badge quest on a sour note, and rather than show that Ash and his team is ready to take on the League after acquiring 8 badges, instead it's only going to damage both Ash's credibility and his Pokemon's even more so than it already has been due to various bad writing stunts the series has pulled already. Again, this doesn't feel all too different from the undeserved badges Ash won in Kanto (and we know how BW loves to imitate Kanto however it can, whenever it can). Sure, Ash is battling to earn this badge, but with the odds stacked this high in his favor, I fail to see how this is even remotely a good thing. Just because it's different doesn't automatically mean it's good. This really feels a bit similar to the Don Battle finals where Iris pretty much got her win handed to her solely due to type immunity and the opponent's ineffective moveset - so that she didn't even really need to try to win; no strategy required.

Circumstances are a little different here, but that Ash is actually going to consent to what constitutes as a highly unfair way of earning a gym badge by anime standards (because like it was said before, following game mechanics to a tee does not make for a good show) automatically makes him out-of-character (regardless of what the Tachiwaki Gym's rules are) and does not benefit him or his team at all. Thanks to spoilers, we know Ash is winning here, so there is no element of suspense in this battle, but even if there were no spoilers, the element of suspense is still practically nonexistent in a scenario where Ash has such overwhelming odds in his favor. See also: Don Battle finals before we knew who won that.

What I can't see is how the staff thought this was even a remotely a good idea for any gym battle, much less the eighth gym. It should be obvious plain as day that this is a prime example of bad storytelling.

Palpitoed hasn't appeared since the 4th gym! I still cannot believe that there are people who don't mind about this. The writers thought they would fix having to show his neglected team by putting them in the Seven Coloured Arch Rainbow ending where Cilan showed his mad conductor skillz. Something I never understood from that ending is how Ash could take out all of his 10 Pokemon to help but could only use 6 to travel with him.

I completely agree with Shinneth. Just like how apples could be red, yellow or green, this match is absolutely unfair. Ash already had 2 advantages over Gym Leaders. He doesn't need another one. Still not convinced?

Lets look at a real life example shall we? There's a football match before a team gets able to be into the Championship. The match will be 6 vs. 12(no cards or fouls given out). GUESS WHO IS GOING TO WIN? A match should depend on the strength of the players against an equal amount of players in the team to deserve to get into the Championship, not the amount of players.

Seeing both Homika and Ash go along with this already ruins Ash's character as he comes off as some elitist jerk that doesn't care about others in battles as long as he get what he wants and needs. That's a bad role model already. It wouldn't make a difference to the writers since they think that since no kid cared about the huge amount of badges he got unfairly in Kanto, the new kids won't care about the way he got the badges in Unova. It even goes low enough to question and insult the audience's intelligence with this 6 vs. 3 battle. It's even a huge middle finger to the audience that has been following and watching this supposed '10-year old' and his wierd friends since the beginning of the saga.

Again, we'll see how this goes when it airs, but as Moe said, it's near impossible to find a justified reason to this.

I ,for one, couldn't care less about that toad's screentime. He shouldn't be there in the first place.

You know what sucks about this the most? It's the very idea of Ash actually winning this way. It's the unfair advantage, the Pokemon being used, and the fact of the matter being the 8th gym that just makes the whole thing unfortunately sucky and shitty. Ash is a competitor, and I thought real competitors didn't like easy wins and hand outs? At least, that's not the Ash we saw throughout AG and DP. That Ash was progressing. BW Ash has regressed so much it's not even funny. As an Ash fan, I, along with others here don't think it's sad, but know it is.

For example, by letting your younger sibling beat you in a game of chess every time doesn't necessarily make them a "better" player, because when they get into the real world of facing other players they most likely will get screwed. Seriously writers, what message are you trying to portray with Ash winning like this, because clearly it's not a good one. I can't tell you how many times I've just wanted to shake Ash this saga and tell him "Dude, what are you fucking doing?" Seriously, this is not Champion Material. I highly doubt this would fly with Cynthia, Drake, Flint, Prima or any of the Elite Four members Ash has encountered, and sans Cynthia has faced. A true Champion does not look for hamey downs.

I'm venting excessively because I am an Ash fan, and this does hurt to see him perform this way, ESPECIALLY, for the 8th gym. This is not on his standards at all, at least not what the past 6 years collectively has shown us, unless we were all fooled. And truthfully speaking here, at this point I really don't know. What I do know is this however: since Ash's BW team has pretty much excluding the select few been pretty much craptastic, if no reserves from other regions are used then Ash definitely deserves to lose this league again. It would be an insult if he won with his BW team.

I don't care how long I've waited for Ash to win a League, I'll wait a full 10 leagues to see him win one with a team that has been good all saga that has used strategy and wits with epicness to help Ash conquer his dream. This saga is seriously like watching an actor win Oscars in which their movies weren't seen as all that great. Ash's BW team is nothing to write home about, but yet, here we are writing away about him getting his 8th badge. Not every single one of Ash's gym battles this saga were crappy and won with the "pulling-out-of-the-ass-evolution/strength" as well as glory-hog Pikachu syndrom, but for the most part they were and that truly sucks.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but at least from me Ash does not get my vote to win this upcoming League, not ending this saga's badge quest this way and with a team like he has. Reserves from another region is a whole different story.

I just wonder how differently this saga would have played out if Ash did not have so many random, extra captures. Now I see why people often say sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
I'm going to give the anime the benefit of the doubt on this one, and wait to see what the exact circumstances of the 3 vs 6 battle are. Perhaps it's some kind of "best 4 of 6" battle where Homika uses all her Pokemon twice.

That said I don't like this setup one bit, and justifying a 6 on 3 battle due to the leader's strength makes no sense. We've seen Ash beat leaders who were previously undefeated without resorting to such gimmicks. Like other have mentioned, it's extremely out of character for Ash to doubt his ability to win on a level playing field enough to accept the conditions of a 6 vs 3 battle.

A few new scans.

wwwdotuporg3059499.jpg

wwwdotuporg3059501.jpg

1. Homika's band is called "The Dogasu". :lol:
2. I'm not 100% on this next part, but I believe a 6-3 handicap was imposed because Homika is over confident.

A few new scans.

wwwdotuporg3059499.jpg

wwwdotuporg3059501.jpg

1. Homika's band is called "The Dogasu". :lol:
2. I'm not 100% on this next part, but I believe a 6-3 handicap was imposed because Homika is over confident.
Then Ash should have beat Homika with 3 pokemon rather then 6 pokemon !
You know, People wondering about Ash's 6Th pokemon in the gym !
But What if There isn't a 6Th pokemon ?
What if Ash used 5 pokemon Against Homika !
With One of Homika's pokemon beating 2 of Ash's pokemon !
May Be-
-Ash chose's Leavanny first who get beaten by Homika's Koffing .

-Ash's Unfezant beat's Homika's Koffing .

-Ash's Unfezant get beaten by Homika's Scolipede.

-Ash's Boldore defect's Homika's Scolipede.

-Ash's Boldore and Pignite get beaten by Homika's Garbodor.

-Ash's Pikachu defect's Homika's Garbodor .

Battle end and Ash get's his 8Th Badge's !

I'm not 100% on this next part, but I believe a 6-3 handicap was imposed because Homika is over confident.

Well if that's really the case and does end up taking Ash 6 Pokemon to beat her, then he's not exactly giving her reason to stop being over-confident. Lol

Ash: Yeah, I beat you!
Homika: *shrugs* You still needed six Pokemon to beat my three.
Ash: :-(

Last edited:
Am I the only one that can't open this link?

Last edited:
Good Palpi is fighting instead of Osha! so Osha and Snivy will get focus enough in BW2!
Palpi probably gets a win here against Scolipede! Nice one!
It doesn't make sense for Ash to agree to that fight! And neither to accept the badge! As many people said already Ash would never battle that way!

P.S. it's a link from moblie, probably just replace it with www.

So it turns out that the whole battle is just showcasing all reserve Pokémon of Satoshi? Well, that's fine ( although most of the reserve guys are pretty boring to me ) but why didn't they give Homika 6 Pokémon as well. A 6 VS 6 battle would be pretty interesting, a 6 VS 3 battle just makes Satoshi's Pokémon look bad.

That being said I enjoy the animation from the preview so hopefully the battle will look good at least. The worst gym this saga was Arty's gym because it look bad , was boring and badly written but maybe this one will be different.

I wish Scraggy were here instead of the fire starter.

Translation courtesy of Adamant

In order to get his 8th badge required for entering the Isshu League, Satoshi finally passes through the gates of the Tachiwaki Gym. The Gym Leader is Homika, the vocalist in the super punk band "The Dogas", and the gym doubles as both a live venue and a battlefield! The screams of an audience that love both battles and live concerts fills the air, and Satoshi livens up the hall with a Thunderbolt from Pikachu.

Brimming with confidence, Homika makes the outrageous suggestion that Satoshi will battle with 6 Pokémon, while she will only use 3...! Homika goes with the 'Poison Gas Pokémon' Dogas, saying she got it in Kanto. Satoshi sends out Kenhallow to counter Dogas' speed, but it ends up poioned from a 'Sludge Bomb'! Following that, Homika continues her merciless poison attacks. Satoshi is about to give up, but then...!!"

"Satoshi is about to give up...."

What? That sounds OoC for Ash. I guess it could be a tagline just to draw attention to the episode though. I'm still not seeing how this battle will reflect positively on Ash.

TR also seems to be in this episode.

Last edited:
Well it's good n' all that Gamagaru is in it, but I'm not overly excited since it probably won't do too much. Pikachu is the spotlight taker after all -.-

I love that her band is called "The Dogas" XD

As far as Satoshi "giving up", I don't take it literally; I think they're just saying that to make the battle seem more intense and exciting. It's probably more like he's contemplating what to do in the intense situation of a near loss, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom