• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW083: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 1) ・ BW084: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 2)

As I expected, while I'm still annoyed about the mechanics and rules of the battle - Ash lost that by any possible measure and nothing he did redeemed his skill one bit, blind luck of static just tops off a terrible way of winning - I liked this episode a lot. The battle itself was lively, the music was fantastic and created a great atmosphere. I wish Homika got an episode to be introduced like all the other Gym leaders did, the battle took up too much of the episodes, even if it did seem like it went by quickly thanks to keeping up good pace of battling.

I really, really hate the fact that Ash didn't once recall his Pokemon (unless I missed a no substitutions rule). It's not just this episode, Ash talks a lot about caring for Pokemon and not pushing them too hard, letting Pokemon get poisoned and every time just telling them to push on is terrible and makes him seem totally reckless in battle. The pecha berries were a nice touch - though perhaps Ash could have got a bunch from Iris before the battle because he knew he was facing a poison gym?

I know it was inevitable, but scanning Koffing made me rage, though at least he did recognise it (seems like Iris didn't at first, which is good). Leavanny's use of string shot on Koffing was great to see - I was kinda hoping Ash would do that, after all, that's how he first dealt with James' Koffing with Caterpie. It'd be nice to think that's a deliberate nod to the past, but that would just again drive home the fact that Ash has beaten so many Koffing that he should have wiped the floor with Homika's. There's also some great personality from Leavanny and Koffing.

Garbodor was interesting, I never got the impression from seeing it in the games that it had that level of mobility. Scolipede was disappointing, fell way too easily, and didn't demonstrate the degree of skill and speed that Koffing and Scolipede did. They should have taken the chance to show off a more unique Poison type.

Meloetta was good - I liked how it seemed like at one point the music wasn't to its taste so it disappeared. The development of the connection with Ash seems to be going along well, something the anime often seems to fumble - I look forward to how that part pans out.

As I over-analysed in the preview thread, Iris confuses me here, I think it's a relatively dramatic shift in her character. I get some degree of getting caught up in the atmosphere, but I think it is too big of a shift too quickly. While it's a positive thing that she's getting along with the group now, this episode needed someone pointing out the fact Ash's win was totally undeserved. Just because he won under the rules given doesn't give him a reason to be happy about himself, and if there was ever a time Iris would be in the right place to attack Ash, this was the episode. But, I'll take the long term change and the reluctant Cilan - that's one of the few occasions I've liked the interaction between Iris and Cilan.

Was that normal Team Rocket in the Live Caster? They almost seem human in that segment, much unlike their in-episode appearance. Hearing Best Wishes for the last time makes me realise how much I like it - I do hope the BW2 theme song lives up to the high standard. Won't miss the animation though.

Anyway, really liked Homika and especially liked the music throughout the episode. I don't normally notice, but when it's done this well and as lively as it was (even if it's mostly just the familiar tunes) it really ads a whole lot to the episode. But, the episode still leaves the lingering annoyance of the horrible 6 vs 3. I do really hope there's a battle with Drayden on fair rules before the league, just to redeem Ash.

Last edited:
My Two Cents Anyway

Bad Pennies
Gunk Shot on A Palpitoad was a little harsh...

Pikachu's static= Deus Ex Machina of Best Wishes 1.

WTF PALPITOAD HAS ONLY 3 MOVES STILL?

WTF is with Unfezant's moveset? Truly she is the weakest bird.

WTF? Leavanny still knows Tackle?

Good Pennies;

Pignite is frippin awesome.

So is Leavanny.

NO OSHAWOTT!

BADGES DONE!

HOMIKA!

IRIS CILAN AXEW=ASH DEFENSE FORCE.

KOFFING OF DOOM!

Gunk Shot!

Venoshock!

Pecha Berries!

Punk Rock(no pop!)

3 months till the league? Will Ash Prevail to 2nd Place in the Unova League(losing to Trollbias 2.0 with a Cobalion), as trends predict?

Meloetta!

TEAM ROCKET'S IN CHARACTER AGAIN!

ANTI-ANTI-GARBODOR EVIDENCE!

Score:8.2/10, for Moveset WTF?, and Cruel Poison tactics, but the rest was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would've dug it if they had at least gotten Ash to come up with some sort of way to counter getting poisoned all the time. Seriously, as soon as that shit hit, it was game over for whoever was on the field.
I liked the animation and some of the techniques used during the fight, but I just couldn't get over the insane handicap Homika gave herself. The 3 vs. 6 thing was generous as hell without handing out berries to heal poison mid-match. The heck was up with that? I like to think unusual writing choices like that usually doesn't bother me, but it really got in the way this time.

On the plus side, I thought Koffing and Garbodor were really cool here. At the end of the day, I wanted Homika's pokemon team to be portrayed well, and bar maybe Scolipede, I think they did a great job. Garbodor in particular has a really interesting battle style and a unique set of moves at it's disposal. I wish more of Ash's opponents could be as fun to watch as that.

Iris whipping out face paint and tribal drums to cheer Ash on was pretty cute. Watching past Gym battles, you can kind of see it leading up to her giving that level of support.

So, thoughts on Dogas, because that deserves its own post.

1) I'm so happy Dogas showed up during one of the good animation days. This episode provided tons of great shots of the pokemon and I can't wait to start screencapping.
2) That voice, though. Ugh. It just didn't sound like the Dogas I know and love from Kanto :( I know they probably didn't want to remind people too much of the fact that there used to be a Dogas on this show, but *still* I miss Unshou Ishizuka.
3) But, at least Dogas was strong and put up a good fight!

Ash using 6 against 3 and and Homika making Ash's Poké use berries mid-battle really made this feel like how a game battle usually is - you usually have more Poké than your opponent and usually items are used during battles to heal and so on...
I guess it's nice to have a battle like that once in a while... though it could be even more interesting with some held items, but I guess that may be too much for the anime
So while at first I didn't like the idea of "6 VS 3", as long as it's only going to happen once in a Jirachi and if the battle and the eps are as good as they were this time, I can accept it
I also liked that Ash initially said that he wants to use just 3 like Homika will do... but he eventually accepts it after Homika insist

24wvt4g.jpg
I get the feeling the animators forgot something...

Well, that went exactly how we thought it would. It was a pretty decent battle, though, perhaps the best in all of the badge quest. Also, a new beginning what? They only do that when they're starting a new saga, we know it's not really a new saga, at least not yet. I'll see you guys on the season 2 board.

Also, a new beginning what? They only do that when they're starting a new saga, we know it's not really a new saga, at least not yet. I'll see you guys on the season 2 board.

Yeah, they only did the "new beginning" thing before actual new series like AG, DP and BW started... they shouldn't really do it in this case when it's still going to be the same BW series, just a "new season" of the same series and a direct continuation of the exact same story... @_@" but I guess they simply want to advertise it as much as they can and get us all exicted for it... which partly works XD though it's mainly Dawn/Pip and old Poké that makes me excited and not really the "Season 2" thing that is honestly kind of ridiculous and is obviously only happening to play off the "2" in the games titles and make viewers excited

This is the second time in the last month or so where the episode began with a boy with Watchog/Mien-line getting their ass-kicked. :/

@ Crysta Blade - I couldn't even notice that mistake, since keyhole's connection sometimes freezes an image in place, that goof's pretty bad.

But anyway I thought this episode had an awesome battle. I liked the parts with Pignite, he really puts up a battle after showing Suwama the what for, also the final battle with Pikachu and Garbardor was great as well; Volt tackle and Electro ball were fantastic there. :D Meloetta's popping up throughout the battle was quite cute; her cheer for Ash was sweet. :) Also liked how Pikachu noticed her before she disappeared during Palpitoad's battle.

But what really got me excited at the end was Team Rocket acting like their old selves when they hi-jacked Oak's Live Caster, it was fantastic and funny. XD

I really hope they put more of their old personality in the next season, plus I can't wait to hear what their plans are, makes me wish I lived in Japan to give 'em a call myself. The preview of best wishes 2 shown at the end was spectacular with Meloetta using relic song; it was just marvelous with her singing voice and transformation. :) Now I can't wait for next week's episode.

And yes... I know Meloetta is genderless, but it's kinda hard not to call a legendary a female when it starts acting as if it does have a gender, like Latias, when it's crushing on guys, in this case Ash, and looks overwhelmingly like a female, it also makes it awkward to keep referring Meloetta as an "it" in sentences.

To be honest, i don't think Ash is ready for the league after this episode. He may have won, but Homika came out looking like the stronger one.

To be honest, i don't think Ash is ready for the league after this episode. He may have won, but Homika came out looking like the stronger one.

He did ask himself if their (his and his Poké's) current power is not enough... and I'm sure he realizes how he won in a not-so-fair way with using double the amount of Poké and not to mention getting help from Homika's berries...
As I said, I really hope this leads to Ash saying he wishes to train in order to become as strong as he was during Sinnoh... and the timing is perfect with Dawn arriving now - he used to help support and train her when she was down, now she might do the same for him - it can be so good if they'll do it (and maybe then Ash will smartly use the 3 months prior to the League and improve enough for me to accept him getting Top 8 or maybe even somehow Top 4 again...)

I think Ash realizes it too, I strongly believe his Pokemon will be beefed up the BW2 episode prior to the league.

I still can't get over the format of this gym battle. Ash was given the opportunity to use twice as many pokemon as his opponent's, and it was still pitted down to a one-on-one struggle. Ash did win this gym battle, but if the rules of the battle were a 3-on-3 elimination, Homika definitely would have won.

The worst part of this battle was that the majority of the pokemon Ash used here had evolved from either past gym battles or battles against powerful trainers with fully evolved pokemon. These pokemon all learned new attacks and managed to defeat the pokemon that they had trouble with prior to their evolutions. Seeing all of those pokemon lose terribly here makes me look back at all of those gym battles in which Ash won by using them, and consider those wins to be very cheap and undeserved. What is the point of having Ash use evolved pokemon if some of them are going to lose just mere seconds after being used?

Everything else about the episode was fine. I felt that this gym battle was terrible because it highlights some of Ash's wins in the past as cheap. Poor Ash, how are you going to advance past the rounds in the Unova League with this team at this rate?

Everything else about the episode was fine. I felt that this gym battle was terrible because it highlights some of Ash's wins in the past as cheap. Poor Ash, how are you going to advance past the rounds in the Unova League with this team at this rate?

I think part of the reason they made this battle the way they did is exactly BECAUSE of how Ash has no chance to do any good in the League currently
Ash pretty much admitted it in this ep...
I seriously believe the East Unova arc will show us Ash saying he's in a serious need of training and he'll work really hard and improve his team before the League

I think part of the reason they made this battle the way they did is exactly BECAUSE of how Ash has no chance to do any good in the League currently
Ash pretty much admitted it in this ep...

No, it means Ash recognizes he needs to train his pokemon a bit more prior to the league.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom