• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW083: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 1) ・ BW084: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 2)

No, it means Ash recognizes he needs to train his pokemon a bit more prior to the league.

You're pretty much saying the same thing in a nicer way...
The thing is that Ash is simply NOT ready for the League yet, and he pretty much said it during this ep... people wanted an in-show proof to Ash not being as good as he should be, and we more-or-less got it in this ep
If Ash will train seriously with Dawn in these 3 months before the League, I can see his team and Ash himself getting closer to how things were during DP (though probably still not as good as DP)
I'm starting to feel like Ash's team is going to improve a lot and do pretty good in the League, but not as good as the Sinnoh team... I think Top 8 would be the best way to do it
Then Ash can decide to train even harder since he'll be disappointed of getting a lower rank... actually, I wonder if Dawn may still somehow be around when that happens... she did stick to watch his Sinnoh League even after she didn't have anything to do anymore... she might do the same now... and in case Ash gets "depressed" of getting a lower League rank, she might be able to help him, after she's been thorugh similar things...

Did anyone notice Iris had an Electric style and Dento had a Fire style? Nice subtle Easter Egg. Nature and Technology? Yin and yang? Black and white? Zekrom and Reshiram.

Last edited:
Just noticed Homika was taller than Ash and Iris.. I thought she was shorter than that.

Decent pair of episodes, everyone was pretty enjoyable here. Still a bit jarred by the fact it took Ash six Pokemon to beat her...but it's w/e at this point. I liked the little Kanto talk Homika had when she heard about Masara town and saw Pikachu.

Just noticed Homika was taller than Ash and Iris.. I thought she was shorter than that.

Heh, I thought she be Ash's height too..so I was a bit surprised to see that she was almost as tall as Cilan.

I liked the episode, I think the battle was well animated, moreso with Dogasu and Dustdas, and Homika had a really fun personality. Best thing about the episode: Iris. She got the biggest laugh out of me in this and her and Dent at the end where hilarious. She really was a fun character for once, she was reminiscent of her few good episodes in and after Raimon City where she was more jellin' with everyone and it was really nice to see. I hope it carries over in BW2. Also, I liked that we saw some personality from Kenhallow, some fighting spirit, something to make me care what happened to that Pokémon in the battle.

The one negative thing about the episode was that... it didn't feel like an eighth gym battle. I didn't have that "Wow, look how far Satoshi and his team have come" feeling, nor did I have that "I can't wait for the League" feeling. I didn't really connect with most of Satoshi's choices for this battle except Kenhallow, so I never really felt like rooting for them or that I really wanted them to win because they weren't really memorable as characters. The fact that Homika's Dogasu had more personality that Satoshi's roster combined worries me.

Oh, I forgot to mention Homika in the Anime is nearly as strong as any Elite 4 O_O, or maybe stronger than a Frontier Brain

This is sort of a reminiscence to Ash's final league battle in DP for me for some reason. Koffing here displayed a real threat here. Using Gyro Ball defensively and offensively. I wish they do this more often. Pretty nice that Ash gambled the Energy Ball effect of sapping Special Defense from Koffing and slowing it down with Leavanny's String Shot. Also liked how Unfezant refuses to go down, despite the results. Did a good job a blowing back the Will-O-Wisp at least.

Other than the Static effect from Pikachu, the rest is pretty much what is already known: attack VS attack, evasions and head-on assaults. I thought Homika would use the Toxic Spikes route for this Gym Battle. Oh well.

Did Homika beat her previous challenger, the one Ash and the gang saw with a Gothitelle, with just her Koffing?

....that is the strongest Koffing, to ever exist....

Did Homika beat her previous challenger, the one Ash and the gang saw with a Gothitelle, with just her Koffing?

....that is the strongest Koffing, to ever exist....

Yeah, just ignore the fact that Psychic is super-effective to Poison, the Anime dont give a crap about this.

The Gothitelle family is such an annoying pokemon line. I have no idea why the writers decide to throw them in everywhere. The anime has made me hate it even more than I did originally based on just how ugly they are.

I really enjoyed this gym though. Just the way they had to enter through some shady basement stairs. Really sorta gave you a feel for Homika's character.

Did anyone else notice that at the beginning of the Team Rocket Live Caster a snippet of their Isshu theme was used... which I was glad to hear again after so long. It was one of the only things I liked about BW Team Rocket.

i feel for ash's final badge that this is a bit of a dissapointment in my own taste. *Well, i would compare this episode to a similar reaction to a Chevy or vauxhall and Opel ( for those of you in europe) fan of the bankruptcy of general motors by thinking that yes i feel that these episodes were not up to my expectations but i hope that since this being a new season that the cast will get into high gear and hopefully come back out stronger with a better plot for next season starting with a semi "intoxicating" gym battle* (real world refernce). i do feel disapointed that the battle seemed rushed and that palpitoad needed more screentime. however there were parts i did enjoy. one being iris on the drums and who could forget iris and cilans artistic paint incident. however i feel that yes it could have been better that it was one of the best episodes made recently

I guess it's good Ash used all his Pokemon because Homika's Koffing definitely could've knocked three of Ash's Pokemon out on its own. How sad, rofl.

That referee's Engrish was absolutely hysterical! XD That and Iris and Dent's cheering methods!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom