• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW083: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 1) ・ BW084: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 2)

Not a bad showing for Part 1 of this two parter.

-Setup. I like all the set-up the writers went through with the first half of the episode. Having the many children talk about how powerful the gym is, and how toxic her battling style is really gives you a sense of intimidation about her.

-Nice scenery as well. Cool how Homika's basement area around her stage was all tag'd, it looked swell and really gave image to just how much of a Poison Punk she and her band are. The spectators were unique, they all looked like true Metal Heads. Satoshi using Pikachu's Thunderbolt to liven things up really makes you excited. Seeing Iris and Dento being so taken off guard by the rocker fans was a nice moment.

-Homika! Man, I loved that chick. She was wild as hell, kooky, cool, and cocky, and I mainly liked that about her. Seriously, an electric guitar solo?! She keeps reminding me of Bret Michaels with the whole "Poison Style" she goes with. Not to mention her constant wild child giggling and crazy demeanor, design, and interactions were just icing on the cake. I got a kick out of how she commanded Dogasu, using her pick. Seeing her playing with the pick was equally as awesome, makes me wonder if she went with a thinner amplifier type or more thicker contortion one. Not to mention her band, "The Dogasu" ruled. Roo and Cook were excellent members and managed to be pretty entertaining for one-offs, they seemed more mature and easy going than their Rock-Star-in-the-making. She's crazy, but the good kinda crazy, not the Bel type of crazy. She just has such a YOLO attitude about her.

-DOGASU, man. Sludge Bomb, Will-O-Wisp, Gyro Ball, and Clear Smoke, the writers did an exceptional job in the moveset department, they didn't make it generic at all. They gave it some pretty cool moves that made the battle so much fun and gave me chills. Clear Smoke also has the ability to remove Stat Changes, that's one of the reasons why it's put in high-regard in battle, so I really liked how innovative she was with that being used to rid the battle field of Sandstorm. Not only that but Poisoning Kenharou with Sludge Bomb, one to the face no less, and how brutal it was with that big fat perpetual sadist grin was great. All it did was awesome, and I couldn't have been happier with its personality as well. I liked how Homika brings up Dogasu being a Kanto Pokemon, and the fact Pikachu is too. The writers did a great job making me like it and this makes me wanna use one in BW2. Dogasu kicking two of Satoshi's reserves asses was intimidating and shows the line in a great light.

-Satoshi, I liked his strategy in battle with using Sandstorm like that against such a speedy opponent. It was smart because with Dogasu's speed, Gantle catching the Poison Bag with a physical move would have been little more then a pipe dream. So, he used Sandstorm to his advantage, since it is inescapable, in an effort to erode away Dogasu's health. I liked seeing Flash Cannon, I'm glad he's using it more since it is his signature move, one of the reasons he was so strong in his debut episode. Hopefully he ditched Rock Smash. Kenharou's flying talents being used for Dogasu's Levitate was interesting, but in the end she just wasn't strong enough to hold her own against Poison and multiple Gyro Balls and her efforts were in vain, I liked how she got overpowered with ease since I really never thought of her as being that strong, I kinda wished we could have saw her show off her muscles or something, just like she did as a Mamepato. Hahakomori getting a much needed win was nice, even if it was a table scrap win. String Shot to catch it and then taking it out with Energy Ball was a stellar strategy. I thought it was stupid that Satoshi kept him in against Pendra, like he would be able to even touch a Bug/Poison type and ended up getting him Poisoned like that. Almost forget, I give props to him for repelling Will-O-Wisp back at Dogasu with Gust.

-6 VS. 3, I'm not gonna hate the idea. It at least gives his reserves some much needed spotlight, but it does feel weird that he would accept to a challenge of using a full team against her triple threats team. I can't help but be left a little cold by it, but no use crying over spilled milk.

Onward to part 2.

Last edited:
*rubs eyes*...I really don't know where to begin with this hr special. I mean overall it was one of the best gym battles of the season being that BW has shown us what crappy gym battles look like. At first, I was expecting a new move from one of Ash's Pokemon or Palpitoad evolving (just threw that one in because usually one of his Pokemon has evolved in a gym battle).

Koffing was bad a** but, it was a bit overpowered and too fast, but then I think about Roark's Cranidos being super-fast back in DP the same with Gardenia's Turtwig so I won't go into that. Considering that their game counterparts or anything close to fast...

I guess Sandstorm is now a move that just does damage like any other over and over; I mean in the 5th gym Krokorok's Sandstorm did damage after every move like in the games, but here Boldore's did continual damage like Gen I Bind/Wrap attacks in the games.

What was with the white and green sparks coming from Koffing after Energy Ball and Sandstorm??? The only time I remember sparks flying from a Pokemon after taking damage was during the 6-on-6 at Lake Verity; Torterra's Green sparks after Frenzy Plant and Weavile's Red sparks after getting hit by Staraptor's Close Combat.

When I saw the previews I thought Ash was going to lose but I was wrong. Overall, it was just like a game gym battle where the trainer can use 6 Pokemon while the leader uses a set amount and can't substitute (well some do and some don't in the games, but in the anime only Lenora was shown to do that). Honestly, (and this might be my pride/ego talking) I wouldn't feel right taking that badge and saying alright now I can enter the league!!

I mean using 6 on 3 and getting a berry from the opponent to heal my Pokemon would be WAY too much. However, she was the one to set the rules and all so in a sense she had it coming. Though it would not feel right to me; honestly I probably would have kept the badge just because I like the way that it looks lol but I would have went to find another gym or something to "truly win" fair and square.

However, seeing how strong she was 3 Pokemon for Ash would not have been enough and I think the league is said to begin in 3 months?? If so Ash is FAR from ready. I mean his current team which I think is around 10 Pokemon from Unova (which counts Pikachu) would not last long in the competition if it took all 6 to win against her.

Maybe in season 2 we'll see some evolution, new moves and possibly new captures (or return of his old Pokemon in the league???) because like I said his Pokemon now aren't going to cut it.

Imagine if she had a Weezing, not that would be way too powerful!! Makes you think about how strong James' would have been if it was raised right -_- just a thought.

Venoshock looked like nasty snot but cool how they tied in how it does more damage on a poisoned target. Gunk Shot looked pretty cool also.

Cool how the "music legend" that's what I call that legendary Pokemon for fun haha hangs around that concert setting it makes sense.

I think its interesting that Static was activated, I bet it was to reassure fans that Pikachu still have an ability AND that ability is still Static. Haha, I didn't know that Pikachu could "jump rope" that was a pretty funny scene dodging those long arms that were tied up.

Final thoughts; I pretty much throw my hands up on the whole "not recharging" thing. If this is so, in the games they need to make moves like Hyper Beam no longer require recharge time then or make a hold item that lets a Pokemon do so. Its an old gag that it just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Part 2 wasn't too shabby either, though in terms of Pokemon I think I might have preferred Dogasu over Dustdas and Pendra.

-Iris. And there just goes to show what I mean. Iris cheering for Satoshi like it was the Fourth of July was nice of her. She showed she wants to support him, hell I'm pretty sure she got that drum, those outfits, and that face paint out of her hair. You just know there's an endless hole of crap in there, most likely residing in the apartment Kibago lives in. It was nice and endearing and I once again wanna say, I loved the little Zekrom and Reshiram Easter Egg with the writers doing the whole "Iris and Dento Zekrom and Reshiram" symbolism thing.

-And...I still will never understand the accusations that Iris isn't Satoshi or Dento's friend. She chose to go out and get snow gear just to watch his Gym Battle against Hachiku and support him :p She could have easily sat at the Pokemon Center or something, compare that to when she was nonchalant about his Gym Battle at Sanyou Gym. She may get annoyed at Dento's sparkling stuff(Shocker guys, it's a gag. Just like Takeshi's womanizing.) and call Satoshi a kid at times(shocker again, it's a catchphrase like Daijoubou, Nanadaiyo Nanadaiyo Nandai Tendaiyo, or Kamo) but Iris very much is their friend at the end of the day. She enjoys traveling with them and wants to and I can't find literally an instance that says otherwise.

-Satoshi. I always like his "never give up" attitude, and how much he continues to push forward in the darkest of situations. It’s his optimism that keeps him and his Pokemon going forward. I like his ability to isolate the good stuff from the bad stuff and concentrate on the former. It's really endearing and really cool. Strategy wise, he came up with a some nice shit I will admit. Using Tackle on Dustdas's appendages was a stroke of brilliance, it only Fire Oath had landed its mark. But, he was smart defiantly. I'm glad Satoshi decided to go with Charbu in a type advantage battle against Pendra, that shows he hasn't given up on Type advantage at all. Same thing with Gamagaru and Dustdas. Not really a fan of Homika healing Charbu, total bullshit especially when Satoshi already has a six vs. three advantage.

-When it came to match-ups and wins and all that jazz. I really really really wish Gamagaru would have beat Pendra instead of Charbu. The toad barely appears anymore and had a type advantage, and it could have been his time to shine in a small way. But, oh well no use crying over it.

-Pikachu's battle wasn't too shabby, I would have preferred a little more strategy and variety and struggle but not bad. I really liked the way Pikachu used his agileness to jump rope and to sort of "bend Dustdas outta shape"(har-har :p) like that, it was smart thinking and it got results no doubt. Doubleslap activating Static, and Pikachu using Thunderbolt alongside ElekiBall to win was nice, a little cliche, but I'm not complaining. It was a nice battle and I enjoyed it. I also really like how Dustdas's appendages take on the appearance of hands when it uses Doubleslap.

-Homika, she's awesome, as already stated, her using her pick to command her Pokemon is so cool. Utilizing Dustdas's appendages as a way of dodging was capital. Doubleslap looked pretty good too, Charbu getting smacked around like a rag doll was pretty painful to watch. I personally found Pendra's battle to be boring, she should have owned a Hoiiga, cause Pendra is entirely too whored out in BW as it is. But, nice battle. Oh and guys, guys, Homika is wearing Rocker Boots, they're just making her "look" tall she certainly isn't that damn tall just like how Fuuro wears thick gloves which make her hands look big :p Once again her YOLO attitude was fantastic.

So, overall battles could have been better imo but it was good. Not the perfect gym though. When it came to the 6 vs. 3 match-ups, this episode showed how underused the reserves are. It took three of them to take out Homika's Dogasu. Gamagaru couldn't took Dustdas, but Pikachu beat Dustdas and Charbu managed to hit Dustdas and took out Pendra all on his own, in two moves. I'm pretty sure if Satoshi went the 3 on 3 route Mijumaru could have beaten Dogasu all on his own. Charbu would have fried Pendra, and Pikachu would have beat Dustdas. But, we would not have seen the reserves get some battles if that were the case. At the moment the only Pokemon on Satoshi's team that actually come off as strong to me are Pikachu, Mijumaru, Charbu, and Waruvile. Nobody else feels all that strong, Tsutarja is even starting to look like one of the weakest on the team to me. At least Kenharou isn't screwed half the time if her opponent is a female.

6 VS 3 concept and Homika healing Charbu were the only things wrong with these dual episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to admit, I really did enjoy Iris in these eps, probably the most I've ever liked her. Have any of Ash's other female companions ever cheered that hard? That's actually a question lol, I cant think of any instances, but they might have.

But still, at the end of the battle, It was apparent that Homika was by far the stronger battler here, even if she lost. It'd be interesting to see how the team Ash used against Volkner would fare against her (Infernape, Torterra, Pikachu).

But yea, just didn't have that 8th gym feel. But It looks like Ash might start striving to get stronger from here. I sure hope he does anyway

These two episodes were definitely a great way to end the first BW season and open up the new season, beginning with Ash's last gym battle in Unova, and above all the best one in BW, this episode definitely recives the rating it deserves, 10/10

Well, that's that. I really loved freckle face Homika. She's the greatest Gym Leader in a long time and her Gym is the best too. I loved the little door in the alley and the fliers in the walls. Great stuff. But I get so mad with Best Wishes because even the greatest ideas have so little planning they lose their potential. The story line seems always jerky from one episode to another. It almost seems wasteful to have good ideas in Best Wishes. Let's hope this new beginning in the end means firing the culprits and returning Pokémon to it's glory.

Honorary mentions:

- Ash shouldn't have accepted the badge. It was a fun battle, maybe the best Gym battle so far, but let's have diggity Ash. And the badge doesn't even fit your case. =)
- Sad to see Ash scanning Koffing. Show Kanto some respect Palletboy.
- Leavanny deserved the win, should have been Ash's first pokémon. Ash forgets Caterpie.
- What was Garbodor's red beam?
- Iris was the greatest. I'll truly miss her and Cilan when they go. To me they were the most successful parts of BW. And while on Cilan, you guys thought he couldn't be more flaming. LOL!

Last edited:
OH... EEM... GEE...

Wow. These couple of episodes were far better than I originally expected them to be, far better. I loved pretty much everything about them, except that 6 VS 3-thingy, I also wasn't such a big fan of that idea, especially not with the 8th gym, but it didn't really bother me when I watched these episodes.
Really, I don't know where to start, I was completely overwhelmed over how unexpectedly great these episodes were, my goosebumps are still bothering me. But, I guess I'll just sum it up in different sections, starting with...

...Ash - Ash was great in this episode! Even though I've always liked his offensive way of battling, he actually put up some great strategies here, with that String Shot at Koffing, and Boldore's Sandstorm to hinder Koffing from moving, as well as countering Koffing's strong and nimble way of moving with Unfezant's speedy attacks like Aerial Ace. I thought he put up a great fight with Pignite, Palpitoad and Pikachu as well, although it was a tad bit disappointing that Palipitoad actually didn't get a win, which I had been hoping for, but that was nothing that dragged the battle down a bit, since Pignite showed some real spunk in that battle against Scolipede.
Ash handled his Pokémon's abilties in a way that would prove to be for his benefit, making use of them so that it'd put him in an advantage, and that was great! I also liked how he stated that he also wanted to use three Pokémon, but that Homika then insisted for him to use six. If he hadn't say that it'd only be way OOC for him, but thankfully he did. I'm still bugged at him winning the battle with that huge advantage though.

To be honest, with having him almost giving up his battle at the end didn't at feel OOC for me, rather the opposite. Ash has always been caring way much about his Pokémon, and as his last Pokémon Pikachu was toxiced, and seemed to struggle a lot with the Toxic's horrible pain, it was only natural for Ash to actually consider giving up. He had previously seen how Leavanny, Pignite and rest of his Pokémon had went through some real stinging pain thanks to the Toxic, so naturally he felt a bit concerned for Pikachu and thought about giving up in order for it to rest.

Homika - Favorite gym leader yet? Yes, yes I'd say that it's safe for me to say that now, she was nothing but pure awesomeness, I mean, woah! I loved absolutely everything about her. Her attitude was nothing but adoring, her looks are as well awesome and establised her fierce personaliy, her crew were both enjoyable, and her Pokémon were insanely strong (except for Scolipede, who was a bit disappointing IMO). Oh, and she's a punkrocker... what's not to like about that?
The fact that she actually played in her band while her opponent was put in a rough spot, making his Pokémon somehow unable to move, was awesome. That's just how much confidence that there was streaming through her throughout the whole battle. Even so, she still seemed to show lots of respect towards her opponent after the battle was over, regardless if they won or lost. I don't know, there just didn't seem to be anything that I possibly could dislike about her, she was that awesome. Hopefully we'll get to see some more of her in BW2, even though I doubt it.

Meloetta - Cute, and actually likeable. It was nice to see how Meloetta as well was cheering for Ash, and how the rock music really wasn't its cup of tea, as it immediately flew back in as it was going to approach the battle. Still haven't seen enough of her to determinate anything yet, but I like her so far, and I'm looking forward to see more of her in the next season.

The Battle - I think I've pretty much stated all of my opinions about the battle in Ash's section. The 6 VS 3 thing did bugg me a lot, since, like a lot of people already have stated, this was indeed the final gym, where the challenger is suppose to show all his strength and development he has went through during his journey and put it all on his final test. Well, it isn't much of a test if you gain such a huge advantage like Ash did now, with him using double the amount of Pokémon than his opponent. However, the battle was still incredibly enjoyable, and I decided to put my hatred towards the concept aside and just enjoy the battle. I'm glad I did, because it was really amazing. Isn't this the first time Ash uses six Pokémon in a gym battle?

The music - OH-EM-GE, SERIOUSLY! The music was kickass during the whole episode, it surely must've pumped up the excitement for the battle for everyone watching, because it definitely did for me! I especially loved the track we got to see in the beginning of the second half of the first episode, when the battle was just about to begun. That soundtrack rocked, and really made me headbang along with the rhythm. Definitely my favorite gym when it comes to music. (Lawls)

Iris & Dento - Both of them were, as usual, very enjoyable in these couple of episodes. And even though Dento was amazing here too, I have to say that Iris actually took the prize here. Her initiative was remarkable, and it was proof of some real friendship among all of them. I mean, honestly now, has anyone of Ash's companions ever before went that far to cheer him on? No, they haven't. Iris and Dento both felt very concerned for their friend, and the only thing that felt natural to them when supporting a friend in need was to really show him that they were right by his side, showing that he was not alone.

Now, some were saying that they felt that Iris was... out of character, with her suddenly cheering Ash on instead of calling him a kid, she made them feel ''confused''. I don't really see how. Believe it or not, but Iris has always cared for Ash, and she has always been rooting for him in his battles, even though she hasn't been showing it. At the beginning of his badge quest she was indeed constantly calling him kodomo ne lots of time throughout their journey, but that was simply because of her not thinking that he actually would make it all the way. Like, when he received his first badge, she made it quite clear that it was nothing to proud about, since he still had a very long way to go, but as he was gaining more and more badges she slowly started to realize that he actually could talk the talk, and still walk the walk. She was starting to believe in his decisions and actions more, and stopped judging him for his ''stupid'' type choices in battles which gave him a huge disadvantage. And now, when he finally had reached the 8th and final gym, she realized how extremely close he actually was to reaching his goal, so the only thing she knew she had to do was to cheer him on all the way, to give him that extra boost to help him actually make it all the way through.

Usually Ash's companions are all like ''oh my, is he going to make it?'' and ''he's really in a tough spot now', but Iris (Cilan too, of course, although Iris took the initiative) went all out, yelling and dressing up like like crazy to show him that while Homika had a huge audience to cheer her on, Ash had both of his friends, that wanted him to win equally as much (or more) as the whole audience wanted Homika to win. Iris even took a drum to actually try and actually match the audience's cheerings. Now that's proof of some real friendship. And people are saying that Iris isn't friends with neither Ash and Dento... Tihihi.

Dento and Iris were both hilarious in that painting, and they were both simply amazing in these episodes, as they once again reminded me why they are my favorite traveling companions yet. Creds to them!

Overall, amazing couple of episodes! The gym battle itself was incredible, and it definitely deserves the title of being the best gym yet in Unova (with Mistralton gym being second). It was really a uplift, since I thought the last gym was rather lame and boring. And also, when it comes to pure entertainment, awesome music, and the matter of gym leader, this gym might actually take the prize as the best gym battke yet. The battles were great, but I've seen lots of better battles in previous gyms, so it won't win there, and the 6 VS 3 concept kinda killed that a little, too. But it was still incredibly enjoyable, and I'm surprised to the fact that I dare to say it, but honestly have I never before enjoyed a gym battle this much before. Iris and Cilan also contributed to making it very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Overall, I thought this gym battle, despite the 6 vs. 3 rule was better than DP's last gym battle. Torterra's development all being thrown away like that and being beaten easily. Pikachu Iron Tailing Electivire to death after Satoshi had it zapped and super charged its speed. Infernape Mach Punch one-shotting Jolteon, and Blaze sweeping Luxray wasn't as good as this battle. Homika was just a much better character than Denzi and her Pokemon were just much more fun, plus in this battle Satoshi used some crazy strategy. I would have to rewatch Denzi's battle to fully remember it, but overall I feel like this was a much better final gym. Not as good as Hoenn, but better than DP and Kanto's.

Pretty much what Gotpika and Chiplet said. Regarding this gym battle being considered to be superior than DP's 8th gym battle, you have to take into account that this gym battle was a two-parter, therefore it had more time to be better. Also, just because the gym battle was longer it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a better gym battle than Denzi's.

Did I hear Satoshi say "Shinji" before he sends Pikachu into battle? I'm just going to assume that word was uesed in some way and he wasn't calling any character by name.

I have nothing else to say about these episodes (though the TR segment was amusing) as I thought the gym battle itself was... good and bad at the same time. Lol.

Did I hear Satoshi say "Shinji" before he sends Pikachu into battle? I'm just going to assume that word was uesed in some way and he wasn't calling any character by name.
Satoshi said a conjugation of the verb shinjiru 信じる (to believe).

Cool battle, but I don't think that Ash really needed all those Pokémon. All that Unefezant and Boldore did were a Quick Attack, Sandstorm and Rock Blast which was deflected. So Leavanny could have been used earlier. I also wish that Palpitoad could have beaten Garbordor, and that he could have that fourth move revealed already!! But it was awesome and Homika was a kick-ass gym leader, shame she now has to be second.

Have any of Ash's other female companions ever cheered that hard?

Dawn was like Ash's cheerleader XD
I wonder if we'll get to see that side of Dawn's character again during her BW visit... maybe after she loses in the tournament she'll change into her cheerleader outfit and start cheering for Ash, with Iris finding it weird or something, since she isn't used to cheering Ash in a girly/cheerleaderish way

So, I was browsing Bulbapedia, to look at the future episodes to air in USA, when I came across this. Why did Ash battle that Gym Leader, when she's going to make her debut in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Why not Iris or Drayden? I'm so confused...

EDIT: I was going to create a thread, to ask my question, but since this once was started, I assumed I was supposed to use this one.

Last edited:
Can I just mention how badass adorable Pignite looked in this picture?

24x3mfs.jpg

Just look at him.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom