• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW083: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 1) ・ BW084: Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! (Part 2)

What I like about this episode is that we now know what happened to Cyrus.

tumblrm5mdbsjcww1qkhtl6.jpg

It seems he took a liking to rock music after his defeat in DP.

We also know what happened to Giovanni:

O8xWe.jpg

They are following each other's footsteps.

I like Dustdas even more now.
That pile of trash is really awesome.

Homika is awesome! She has Miki Sayaka's voice!

And I loved Iris cheering up Satoshi with the drum. xD

And...I still will never understand the accusations that Iris isn't Satoshi or Dento's friend.

If how Iris was portrayed in this episode was characteristic of how she is usually portrayed, then I would see your point, but as much as I liked the interactions between the trio, it stood out in this episode because it's an exception rather than the norm. How she acted in this episode was so novel and actually entertaining and interesting because of how un-Iris like she acted. You usually never see her invested or interested in what's happening or in other characters except in the episodes that focus on her. It was nice to see her actually play the role of the entertaining wacky funny sidekick and actually feel like she enjoys being with Satoshi and Dent for once. I hope this anti-Iris continues in Season 2.

Overall, I thought this gym battle, despite the 6 vs. 3 rule was better than DP's last gym battle. Torterra's development all being thrown away like that and being beaten easily. Pikachu Iron Tailing Electivire to death after Satoshi had it zapped and super charged its speed. Infernape Mach Punch one-shotting Jolteon, and Blaze sweeping Luxray wasn't as good as this battle. Homika was just a much better character than Denzi and her Pokemon were just much more fun, plus in this battle Satoshi used some crazy strategy. I would have to rewatch Denzi's battle to fully remember it, but overall I feel like this was a much better final gym. Not as good as Hoenn, but better than DP and Kanto's.

I really could not disagree more with this. I think the animation was more visually interesting here and while the episode was more comedic, it wasn't memorable nor did it really convey anything. In DP, when the lights go down and Goukazaru's blaze is the only light in the stadium and everyone's just silent, there's so much tension in that moment and it really showed how much Satoshi and Goukazaru (and Pikachu and Dodaitose too) had grown during their journey, it really felt like all the hard work had paid off and that the journey had not been in vain. There's a moment I remember. In this match, there wasn't that one moment. Here, as an eighth gym, it failed to deliver that "look how far Satoshi has gone and how ready he is for the League" feeling. Plus to me, there was just much more going on with Denzi and Oba than Homika, and their dynamics and their interactions with the gang were more interesting.

This episode was like... a Big Mac. Good in the moment, but I won't remember the taste five minutes afterwards.

And...I still will never understand the accusations that Iris isn't Satoshi or Dento's friend.

If how Iris was portrayed in this episode was characteristic of how she is usually portrayed, then I would see your point, but as much as I liked the interactions between the trio, it stood out in this episode because it's an exception rather than the norm. How she acted in this episode was so novel and actually entertaining and interesting because of how un-Iris like she acted. You usually never see her invested or interested in what's happening or in other characters except in the episodes that focus on her. It was nice to see her actually play the role of the entertaining wacky funny sidekick and actually feel like she enjoys being with Satoshi and Dent for once. I hope this anti-Iris continues in Season 2.
Well, now that Iris has seen Satoshi earn his badges she respects him. Compare Iris in the first gym battle who didn't believe in Satoshi to the Iris in this gym battle. When she saw that he was losing, she didn't want to believe that the trainer she believed in to win would lose, so she supported him more in this gym battle to make him win.

Overall, I thought this gym battle, despite the 6 vs. 3 rule was better than DP's last gym battle. Torterra's development all being thrown away like that and being beaten easily. Pikachu Iron Tailing Electivire to death after Satoshi had it zapped and super charged its speed. Infernape Mach Punch one-shotting Jolteon, and Blaze sweeping Luxray wasn't as good as this battle. Homika was just a much better character than Denzi and her Pokemon were just much more fun, plus in this battle Satoshi used some crazy strategy. I would have to rewatch Denzi's battle to fully remember it, but overall I feel like this was a much better final gym. Not as good as Hoenn, but better than DP and Kanto's.
I really could not disagree more with this. I think the animation was more visually interesting here and while the episode was more comedic, it wasn't memorable nor did it really convey anything. In DP, when the lights go down and Goukazaru's blaze is the only light in the stadium and everyone's just silent, there's so much tension in that moment and it really showed how much Satoshi and Goukazaru (and Pikachu and Dodaitose too) had grown during their journey, it really felt like all the hard work had paid off and that the journey had not been in vain. There's a moment I remember. In this match, there wasn't that one moment. Here, as an eighth gym, it failed to deliver that "look how far Satoshi has gone and how ready he is for the League" feeling. Plus to me, there was just much more going on with Denzi and Oba than Homika, and their dynamics and their interactions with the gang were more interesting.

This episode was like... a Big Mac. Good in the moment, but I won't remember the taste five minutes afterwards.

I've watched this gym battle 3 times ^_^ because I found that the taste(oh god Dent is rubbing in on us) of the episode was well, tastier than Denzi's. Oba and Denzi had more episodes dedicated to them which developed their characters, while Homika only starred in 2, in which she learned that she shouldn't be so overconfident. I really didn't like how Dodaitose was easily beaten after all the development it got, which lead to it never winning a battle unlike Kenhallow, Gantle and Gamagaru who got nearly no development and were easily beaten.

Goukazaru was unnecessarily glorified again when it already destroyed 2 of Suzuna's Pokemon in the previous gym battle. With Ash nearly losing with a 6 vs 3, it felt like as if there was more struggle with how Homika was portrayed to be a very strong trainer. Going through the 52 episode gap, I didn't want Goukazaru to be in the battle and take nearly all the fame and glory by beating 2 of Denzi's Pokemon. It was a shame to see it happen. When what happens is predictable(Goukazaru using Blaze) In this battle, the glory was shared between Pikachu, Hahakoromi and Chaoboo with one win each.

I didn't get any feeling of hype for the league in both this gym battle and Denzi's. From this battle, I got hype for the Junior World Tournament(which I think will make hype for the Unova League), from Denzi's battle I got no hype.

HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA

Me listing to that cheer "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE"

Man i hated that cheer. it sounded like a squeaky fan belt. but the design of all of Roxie's fans really had me a bit scared a bit hoping that those designs do not transfer to future episodes. o_O
67425.jpg

:dead:
67426.jpg

:dead:
Not the pokemon i remember growin up with.....

However i got a huge laugh from the "Cheer" Section of iris and cilan and the makeup desighn by iris. that made the episode worth watching again:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

By the way any one know who Roo or Cook is in this episode? im not sure if it is the other two members of the band or not

I didn't hate Iris in this but that being said it was pretty annoying. For example Cilan explaining the Sp def drop the problem was how did he know there was a sp def drop there was no blue thingy like in the games or any original effect. and then Cilan goes on to explain that it was Ash's strategy to lower its spdef then use a special attack but maybe Ash was using an attack twice for the sake of using an attack twice it's perfect legit to do that. And to spend so much time explain something that might not be true is just awful awful story telling.

And I hated how easily Ash was convinced into using six. Piplup mentioned "It's like the games" but the problem is that in the games most of the time you win with some pokes to spare so taking away that aspect but keeping the lopsidedness is complete BS. He didn't even seem phased by how poorly he did unless I zoned out near the end but still he could have surrended or something. And I don't understand why Satoshi is so weak sure he rotated his mons a little but he was smart in this battle and still looked lame. They didn't have to make him weak I don't understand why he would be weak yet he seems weak. This episode ruined Ash as trainer in my eyes for awhile at least.

I really liked these two episodes. I'm pretty sure I'd have the same reaction as Satoshi with the 3to6 rule but, I can understand why Homika did it; she just wanted to enjoy herself and let the crowd have a good time too.

Also, does anyone know who voiced the referee? Because whoever it was needs to do more voice work.

One thing I did not like though was the Rocket corner. I guess I'm too used to their Isshu selves because seeing them as they were during Kanto was really jarring and bluh.

Last edited:
There's something to be said about Ash's big finale to his gym badge collecting being him fighting garbage, kind of a euphemism to his current battling ability in this region.

As nice as this battle looked and was choreographed, it was horribly written. This is easily the worst gym battle since Elesa. Not only do we have Ash being out of character to the point where he agreed to the gym battle despite the huge handicap he was getting (where's the kid who wanted to battle all three of the waiter brothers, or wanted to battle Skyla rather then getting evaluated?), but Roxie's arrogant attitude about being so strong that he would need 6 Pokemon is proven in the right. This battle could have easily been done with just a three-on-three match and it would had been fine.

Much like with Blaziken at the end of the Johto region, this battle seems to be made strictly so as to glorify Roxie's character as a promotion for the B2/W2 games, of which we'll spend beating up her two unevolved, under-level-20 Pokemon within three minutes.

So, I was browsing Bulbapedia, to look at the future episodes to air in USA, when I came across this. Why did Ash battle that Gym Leader, when she's going to make her debut in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Why not Iris or Drayden? I'm so confused...
I don't know, it just caught me off guard so badly that I was dumbfounded by it.
It must be really easy to confuse you then. Battling Homika was obviously to promote the new games. There's no reason it should be that confusing. Especially since it was done once before.

I didn't hate Iris in this but that being said it was pretty annoying. For example Cilan explaining the Sp def drop the problem was how did he know there was a sp def drop there was no blue thingy like in the games or any original effect.
How exactly is that any different than him knowing the secondary effects of any other moves, as he has demonstrated numerous times? It's just the kind of thing a Gym Leader should know.

Not only do we have Ash being out of character to the point where he agreed to the gym battle despite the huge handicap he was getting (where's the kid who wanted to battle all three of the waiter brothers, or wanted to battle Skyla rather then getting evaluated?), but Roxie's arrogant attitude about being so strong that he would need 6 Pokemon is proven in the right. This battle could have easily been done with just a three-on-three match and it would had been fine.
1. How is it out of character when he at first said he wanted an even 3-on-3? He only agreed to 6-on-3 once Roxie insisted.
2. Did you even watch the episode? Clearly if it was 3-on-3 Ash would've lost. And that was probably the point. Seems evident to me during the scene where Ash questions himself during the battle.

Another note: I noticed something as soon as Roxie first appeared that I didn't notice when I saw her sprite or official art, since those can be so easily flipped around: I love the fact that Roxie is left-handed. She has a left-handed guitar and throws her Pokeballs left-handed. That's the first time I can remember seeing that in the show. Very cool.

Last edited:
@Geodude; Cept the thing is Energy doesn't lower sp def it has a CHANCE of lowering sp def. And since there is no indicator visual wise I have to question why does he mention it now is there something we are missing yet Cilan knows how can he tell

But we don't know what that visual effect IS, so how do you know it wasn't there?

Think about it though: the characters themselves have a completely different perspective on their world than we do, since they're actually in it. Think about how many times Brock, Dawn, or others talked about things like how well-groomed a Pokemon's fur looks, when the Pokemon in question looks just like any other to us. It also brings to mind the Pokethlon episode when even Ash could tell that the CotD's Snorlax was tired from too much training just by looking at it, when it was less apparent to us as viewers. Even Cilan's chosen career revolves around him noticing little traits and behaviors and things that others might not pick up on.

It would be nice to know something without someone having to tell us ever heard of show not tell

1. How is it out of character when he at first said he wanted an even 3-on-3? He only agreed to 6-on-3 once Roxie insisted.
2. Did you even watch the episode? Clearly if it was 3-on-3 Ash would've lost. And that was probably the point. Seems evident to me during the scene where Ash questions himself during the battle.

1. The fact that he gave in was OoC. He should had been insistent to make it a fair fight, and if not, he can just take his business elsewhere. Trip's badge case showed us there are other gyms in Unova.

2. If he lost a 3-on-3, then he would had done what he always does when he loses a gym, he trains more, comes back and sticks it to her when he's stronger.

Also, Ash questioning his current strength is meaningless as he missed his "wake-up calls" throughout this entire region, like when he was 5-2'd in his second battle with Trip, then despite his vow to get stronger, still got curb-stomped by Lenora because he didn't train hard enough.

1. The fact that he gave in was OoC. He should had been insistent to make it a fair fight, and if not, he can just take his business elsewhere.

I disagree. An unfair fight would be, say, if it was 6-on-3 because Homika was lazy or indifferent. But as she herself pointed out, the rules are up to her, so a fair fight would be anything within those rules. We've already seen other gyms with variations on the normal rules. Another thing, one of her band members said something like "here she goes again with her whims" when she gave Pignite that Pecha Berry. Offering a 6-on-3 battle and healing the opponent's status condition seems overconfident, and certainly would've been if Ash had an easier time with the victory. But as it turned out she had room for plenty of confidence, simply because she was good enough. She would've looked really stupid if Ash had curbstomped her, but it was down to the wire. Sure it was risky, but it seems to be part of her character. I get the idea she likes that kind of thing. The whole punk band and rowdy nightclub thing, and the band member's comment, indicates that she's a bit of a thrill-seeker.

To put it another way, as somebody else probably already said: The 6-on-3 actually made it a fair fight, considering the result.

1. The fact that he gave in was OoC. He should had been insistent to make it a fair fight, and if not, he can just take his business elsewhere.

I disagree. An unfair fight would be, say, if it was 6-on-3 because Homika was lazy or indifferent. But as she herself pointed out, the rules are up to her, so a fair fight would be anything within those rules. Another thing, one of her band members said something like "here she goes again with her whims" when she gave Pignite that Pecha Berry. Offering a 6-on-3 battle and healing the opponent's status condition seems overconfident, and certainly would've been if Ash had an easier time with the victory. But as it turned out she had room for plenty of confidence, simply because she was good enough. She would've looked really stupid if Ash had curbstomped her, but it was down to the wire. Sure it was risky, but it seems to be part of her character. I get the idea she likes that kind of thing. The whole punk band and rowdy nightclub thing, and the band member's comment, indicates that she's a bit of a thrill-seeker.
To add on, Ash is the type of person who wants to prove people wrong. Roxie was overconfident, somebody needed to change her ways, so Ash stepped in. It would be totally OoC of Ash if he didn't battle her to make her lose her overconfidence. Leaving to do business elsewhere? That's not the Ash I know and support!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom