• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW085: Sing, Meloetta! The Melody of Love!!

re: BW 085 "Sing, Meloetta! The Melody of Love!!" Review Thread

I think its wonderful if Cynthia was "depowered" in BW. It makes it look like she's beatable now, so hopefully when Ash battles her in the Champion league he can win.

NO WAY! Never will that be true. Why are you saying such things?? If there's somebody who will get "depowered", then it'll surely be Alder because he is no longer the Unova Champion in BW2! This implies that he will lose in the World Tournament to whoever gets the chance to challenge him (provided, of course, it's true that Cynthia only takes part in an exhibition match)
Anyways, this battle was not legit because anyone could see that Iris was hopelessly overpowered in order for the writers to get across whatever message regarding her future.
Let's not forget Garchomp wasn't hurt at all! It was probably, as some user already said, like a massage for her!

I dunno, the Japanese are talking about it and making screencaps.

This is a cartoon for kids
What some random older fans post on the internet for their amusement has absolutely nothing to do with the scene's original intention

I never understood why people found Cynthia bland, I always thought she was awesome.

Trying to say she's awesome now won't save you from the rage of Garchomp
The land shark is going to eat some scorpions today

Aside from what I had posted before, I am surprised that Iris's Axew did not use Outrage in this episode. Iris knew that Dragon-type attacks are super-effective against Dragons, and that Outrage was then currently Axew's strongest move. It's like the writers just forgot that Axew used that attack.

I think its wonderful if Cynthia was "depowered" in BW. It makes it look like she's beatable now, so hopefully when Ash battles her in the Champion league he can win.

On the offensive side, it is possible. Garchomp had managed to defeat several E4 pokemon, as well as Paul's Weavile, just by using Dragon Rush. This is especially true considering that Axew, as a Dragon-type, has a type disadvantage to Dragon Rush and takes much more damage. Of course, different writers = pokemon having different endurance levels in battles, and certain pokemon will be knocked out earlier from certain attacks than others.

Realistically, Iris's Axew should have been knocked out by Garchomp's Dragon Rush, but the writer wanted the pokemon to learn a new move here.

On the defensive side, Garchomp took damage from Paul's Torterra and Flint's Infernape. It is important to remember that Giga Impact is one of the most powerful physical moves in the entire franchise, so it should inflict some sort of damage against Garchomp.

Time to do a random powerup of Kibago who hasn't been doing jack since episode 42 without any kind of work or believable progression.

Pokemon in the anime can sometimes learn new moves when they are encouraged by their trainers, or if they want to win in battle. Even if Axew had not been seen training on-screen after that episode, it learning Giga Impact here can't be too different from Ash's Scraggy learning Focus Blast in the Clubsplosion, or all of the moves that Ash's Unova team of pokemon learned after they evolved. Most of those pokemon were never seen training on-screen, either, but they still learned new attacks over time. Characters had also mentioned in the past that Iris's Axew has a lot of potential as a battler.

Last edited:

Pokemon in the anime can sometimes learn new moves when they are encouraged by their trainers, or if they want to win in battle. Even if Axew had not been seen training on-screen after that episode, it learning Giga Impact here can't be too different from Ash's Scraggy learning Focus Blast in the Clubsplosion, or all of the moves that Ash's Unova team of pokemon learned after they evolved. Most of those pokemon were never seen training on-screen, either, but they still learned new attacks over time. Characters had also mentioned in the past that Iris's Axew has a lot of potential as a battler.

Still, that scene was totally unnecessary and mustn't have happened! You could easily have come up with thousands of different ways of writing the second part of the episode.
For instance, have them have a quick battle in which Cynthia wipes the floor with Axew and then have Cynthia give Iris some practical advice how to learn a new move. This way it would have been a plausible scenario and great to watch.
But why, WHY the hell did the writers decide to mess up the whole episode by writing such nonsense? For me the whole episode is flawed and ruined because they didn't do justice to Cynthia. They could have introduced a random, standard CoD for this, so why did they have to "waste" most precious Cynthia of all people?

Queen Cynthia uses Outrage.

Last edited:

OH EEEM GEEE BATTLE BETWEEN SINNOH AND UNOVA CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

...I just still can't get over the fact that Iris is the B2W2 Champion.~

Alright, opinions on the episode. I thought it was great, it pretty much matched my expectations, so I'm pleased.
The high-lights were, without a doubt, Cynthia and Iris, the interactions between the two of them were just superb, and they pretty much made this episode for me.

Iris, GUUUURL, how cute can you get?! OMG, she was so cute idolizing Cynthia, and I absolutely loved how it took some time for her to actually take some courage in asking Cynthia for a battle. IIIIIH.

Oh, as for the battle... I'm sure Garchomp didn't go all out. After that she had been attacked by both Scratch and Dragon Rage (which by the way didn't even seem to bother her a bit) she might've realized how weak Axew actually is, and then adjusted the level of her attacks to a minimum, which didn't kill Axew too much. :p
That's it, I swear, no doubt in my mind.

There need to be more Cynthia and Iris moments, really. Cynthia seemed to take quite a liking to Iris, and Iris loves Cynthia. Give them a whole episode just dedicated to the two of them, or maybe a whole arc! I mean, the two of them are definitely worth it. (x
Everything about the two was just....
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz7va2I2Zt1qavfl2.gif

I don't want to ruin the fun for everyone who's glad to actually see Dawn again, so I'll just say that I also think it's nice to see her again. Hopefully she'll prove to be entertaining, and the interactions between her and Iris are sure to be amusing too.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on Axew learning Giga Impact. Meh. Why Giga Impact? I hate that move, although the animation was nice. Give it Dual Chop instead. Really though, it seems like being a baby Pokémon gives you special access to amazing moves. Both Axew and Scraggy has been learning moves like that, with Outrage, Focus Blast, Hi Jump Kick and now Giga Impact.

Attachments

• 20120622-025652.jpg
    20120622-025652.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:

This was an entertaining episode, and Axew really was in dire need of a new move. My only complaint is that they chose the boring and overused Giga Impact, and gave up the perfect chance for it to learn Dual Chop. You know, that move that's kind of the Haxorus line's signature, that only they and Garchomp can learn. They had the perfect opportunity to have Axew learn it by imitation, but whatever.

With that kind of skills and powers a lot of trainers can beat Cynthia now. And I don't think she will stand any chance against the champion of Kanto and Johto Lance with her current abilites. This battle was forced and showed Cynthia as a random trainer not the champion. To think that small pokemon could survive two of Garchomp's attack is unbelieveable and impossible if Cynthia would be the way she was in Sinnoh. Kinda lost my hope in whole B2W2 series after that. Don't even have reason to watch this farse anymore.

Or maybe she's not depowered, and was just going easy on Kibago? It wouldn't make sense to just knock him out in one hit. That would defeat the point of the battle.

Why is everyone whining over Gaburias not being to ko Kibago i mean look at Ash's pikachu he should lvl 100+ yet lost to a lvl 5 snivy you can't expect a non-legendary pokemon to be godlike no matter how many flaw-less victories it had.

BTW lol at the "user gets eaten by garchomp comments" you guys must be shorter than 4'9 to not be able to overpower a garchomp with with your bare hands like i can XD

I liked this episode, although the middle when Meloetta was just sick was kinda boring.

I'm glad Cynthia doesn't seem so "invincible" as she was in DP. My guess is due to BW's writing style changing from DP, the Elite's and Champions are no longer going to be as overpowered anymore as they once were.

I liked this episode, although the middle when Meloetta was just sick was kinda boring.

I'm glad Cynthia doesn't seem so "invincible" as she was in DP. My guess is due to BW's writing style changing from DP, the Elite's and Champions are no longer going to be as overpowered anymore as they once were.

Good. I got tired of them being basically walking plot devices. Now if only they could do something about Cynthia's personality, or lack thereof.

The episode itself was pretty boring all around. I found Meloetta more dull than anything else, and the Axew/Garchomp fight was a total farce, as we all knew what the outcome would be. Even the Giga Impact thing didn't stir up anything.

Good. I got tired of them being basically walking plot devices. Now if only they could do something about Cynthia's personality, or lack thereof.

The episode itself was pretty boring all around. I found Meloetta more dull than anything else, and the Axew/Garchomp fight was a total farce, as we all knew what the outcome would be. Even the Giga Impact thing didn't stir up anything.

Well, even if I was completely aware of the outcome I still thought it was entertaining, as it was clear how Axew really gave it his all for his trainer's sake. And making the Giga Impact having a bigger impact on Garchomp than it already had would just be ridicolous, as it is the Champion's Garchomp after all, and that it was Axew who used it.

A pretty methodical episode for the start of a new season, but definitely not a bad one.

I mean, we've all seen episode where the gang takes care of a wounded poke, but this one had a few good things going for it. Everyone in the gang was pretty likable, with a special note for Iris, who was too god damn cute. We've seen Oshawott fall in love before, but I was still surprised to see him get into a slap fight with Emolga. COME ON MAN, THAT'S NOT A CLASS ACT!

You know, call me crazy, but perhaps, maybe, possibly, just a small chance, a wee bit, over analyzing whether or not Cynthia has been downgraded or whatever the fuck we're calling it.

...Just an idea...

I dunno. I kind of LIKE the idea of a more sadistic Shirona that enjoyed toying with the baby Kibago and its very green trainer in Iris. I haven't seen the episode and I'm like 20 episodes behind welp BAD ANIME MOD BAD but from the screens I've seen and this thread I don't see Shirona taking Iris seriously at all. Like, no downgraded Sinnoh-champion at all but like, a new level of "don't even try to fuck with me."

I guess it was OK. I was hoping they would use the music from the first 2 Diamond and Pearl movies or any music from the previous generations. But that didn't came to be. Oh well.

So I finally got to see the full episode.

The writers couldn't have made it more obvious that Shirona was going easy on Iris. When Iris was asking for the battle, she talked about how rare it is to be able to battle a pokemon like Gablias and how this would be an amazing experience for her Kibago. Shirona saw her intentions for the battle - to make her pokemon stronger so that she can someday achieve her goal of becoming a Dragon Master - and accepted.

I don't understand why some people wanted Shirona to curbstomp Iris. How in the world would that help Iris in any way? The point of the match was to give Kibago some experience battling a powerful Dragon-Type pokemon, not humiliate it in front of its Trainer and her friends.

This wasn't like the battle with Shinji, where Shinji foolishly thought he could defeat a Champion. Shirona's opponent was a young girl meeting someone she admires greatly, not an arrogant kid who needed to be knocked down a peg. Different opponents call for different battle styles.

So I finally got to see the full episode.

The writers couldn't have made it more obvious that Shirona was going easy on Iris. When Iris was asking for the battle, she talked about how rare it is to be able to battle a pokemon like Gablias and how this would be an amazing experience for her Kibago. Shirona saw her intentions for the battle - to make her pokemon stronger so that she can someday achieve her goal of becoming a Dragon Master - and accepted.

I don't understand why some people wanted Shirona to curbstomp Iris. How in the world would that help Iris in any way? The point of the match was to give Kibago some experience battling a powerful Dragon-Type pokemon, not humiliate it in front of its Trainer and her friends.

This wasn't like the battle with Shinji, where Shinji foolishly thought he could defeat a Champion. Shirona's opponent was a young girl meeting someone she admires greatly, not an arrogant kid who needed to be knocked down a peg. Different opponents call for different battle styles.

No one here is talking about curbstomping Iris. The main problem here is that little trash survived two attacks of Garchomp (which is impossible for such weak pokemon) and even damaged Garchomp even more than Torterra's Frenzy Plant back then. Guys, is this a joke? WTF is going on? I don't understand. I can understand if Kibago survived few attacks of Shaga's pokemon but .. Cynthia's Garchomp? We saw how powerful were E4 members and Ash's pokemon (no matter how strong they were) lost by a single attack. And here we have a Champion and here beast. And we see that some little pokemon survives pair of attacks. Sorry but it is the worst thing showed us in entire series. Because that is simply impossible!

Iris was cute with her blushing and being nervous around Shirona until finally being able to ask her for a battle.

I loved it when Dent tried to frantically introduce himself to Shirona and got interrupted by a more nervous Iris.

Mijumaru's lusting always entertains me. Was Meloetta so attractive that Mijumaru forgot his crush on Emonga?

Meloetta's singing voice is really beautiful. Her singing is supposed to be soothing and they got that down well.

No one here is talking about curbstomping Iris. The main problem here is that little trash survived two attacks of Garchomp (which is impossible for such weak pokemon) and even damaged Garchomp even more than Torterra's Frenzy Plant back then.
Guys, is this a joke? WTF is going on? I don't understand. I can understand if Kibago survived few attacks of Shaga's pokemon but .. Cynthia's Garchomp? We saw how powerful were E4 members and Ash's pokemon (no matter how strong they were) lost by a single attack. And here we have a Champion and here beast. And we see that some little pokemon survives pair of attacks. Sorry but it is the worst thing showed us in entire series. Because that is simply impossible!
Garchomp was suppressing her power, that's why Kibago wasn't knocked out by a Dragon Rush and Meteoric Swarm combo. She's obviously not going to use full strength against Kibago. Kibago's attacks didn't do squat to Garchomp either. Shirona let Garchomp get hit by those Scratch attacks on purpose and Garchomp wasn't bothered and was getting ready to kill the little Dragon until Shirona kept her in check. Dragon Rage had no effect whatsoever either. Shirona let Iris get those hits in on purpose. Even Giga Impact did nothing to Garchomp. The purpose was to train, not to kill the lil' guy. Oh, and Pikachu took about a hundred hits from Flint's Infernape IIRC.

Oh, and Giga Impact.

Kibago sees a Giga Impact and later learns it? A load of crap DEM asspull!!!111!!1! Zuruggu sees HJK and later learns it. EVERYTHING'S ALL JELLY! Kibago learns Outrage giving him one stupid win (despite the fact the move ain't been seen in a long while) - Crap! Zuruggu learns Focus Blast out of nowhere and wins a battle - THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE because apparently, it can't aim very well despite the fact he KO'd one of Hachiku's Pokes with it.

Yes, I consider Focus Blast to be an ass pull or else he would have lost to Yanakkie.

Last edited:

This first episode gave a good warm-up start to the beginning of Best Wishes Season 2. Sadly, I feel that like the 1st Best Wishes episode, too much things are going on here. From Cynthia to Team Rocket's mission to Meloetta to Cynthia VS Iris towards the departure to the villa, this is another bad habit of the episode stuffing in more than 2 stories or events in a single episode. I would save Dawn's sneak peek for the very first part of the next episode and the villa rather than making room for this episode, but whatever.

Regarding the Axew VS Garchomp, even if it does give the impression of the evolved monster taking it easy to the basic dragon, the attacks didn't look like they held back power, unlike the Solarbeam from Axew VS Pansage. Giga Impact here!? I was going to comment more on it, but it seems it could learn Giga Impact in its basic form, so I was mistaken that it couldn't. Whatever happened to Outrage? I really don't think even that would take out Garchomp, although maybe reaching critical health.

Seems even Best Wishes Season 2 may have some inconsistencies. I'll let the episodes speak for themselves.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom