• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW086: Pochama VS Yanappu! The Magnificent Battle!! airdate: 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, female companions team up and battle but not this time, fortunately :D

"Usually"? That only happened with May and Dawn and that had more to do with them being very similar to each other in both goal and personality
It never happened with May/Misty and isn't as likely to happen with Dawn/Iris simply cause their goals and personalities are completely different (if Misty would appear though, it'd make sense to focus on some Iris/Misty interactions/battles)
I was referring to the girls in general. May got to battle Zoey as well as Dawn. She even got to participate with Dawn thrice; during the seven star restaurant episode, where she battled alongside Dawn against Team Rocket as well against Kylie & Roman and the contest finale. But didn't even have a training battle against Ash or Brock.

So, it is really nice to see a female companion battling against the boys during her return, in this case, Ash and Cilan.

I know you referred to that, which is why I explained that the only reason they did it this way with May/Dawn (and May facing Zoey is part of connecting May/Dawn) was because they're very similar in goal and personality
It wasn't because they're girls - Misty and May barely interacted with each other at all (actually, Misty got more interactions with Max than with May)
So Dawn was never really going to have anything very special with Iris, since they're so different (and as I said, if Misty were to appear, there's no doubt they'd connect her to Iris similarly to how they handled May/Dawn)
Anyway, I doubt she'd have too much of interactions with Cilan either... he's probably just going to go crazy OMG CONTESTS I'M A COORDINATOR CONNOSEUR!!!!11111 *sparkles* IT'S CONTEST TIME! and then he'll have a Contest Battle against Dawn... XD

I can see Pip using BubbleBeam and then Pansage using Bullet Seed to "break" all the bubbles and turn them into sparkles (because, you know, when something is declared to be a "Contest Battle" - then all of a sudden - all moves that connect, randomly turn into sparkles while in any other case they'd create an explosion... oh Pokémon logic <3 )

I can see Pip using BubbleBeam and then Pansage using Bullet Seed to "break" all the bubbles and turn them into sparkles (because, you know, when something is declared to be a "Contest Battle" - then all of a sudden - all moves that connect, randomly turn into sparkles while in any other case they'd create an explosion... oh Pokémon logic <3 )

Now I remember why I liked the DP contest saga so much! *coughI'malyercough* This actually sounds like a possible scenario...can't say I'm looking forward though.

Good to see that it won't be a Mijumaru VS Pochama battle because Yanappu really needs more screentime and is always fun to see in action and I guess we'll see more than enough interaction of the marketing-water-mons.

btw, please no contest-sommelier...please...I beg you writers...

The sparkling Pokémon Coordinator against the sparkling Pokémon Sommelier? I can't wait for this.

There will be many sparkles, so many fabulous, blinding, beautiful, sparkles. It will all be wonderful.

Last edited:
btw, please no contest-sommelier...please...I beg you writers...
Cilan will be declared the greatest main character ever when this happens. :D

Meanwhile Iris is a cheap-ass skank Mary Sue for talking to a Dragonite.

:banghead:

Yeah, it just makes more sense for Dawn to face Cilan. I don't think she'll think him too strange, since as a Coordinator, she's used to being evaluated, although not by her opponent. I'm going to be interested in what happens, since some of DP was spent on adapting to how her pokes work. I anticipate this causing confusion for Cilan, as mismatched trainers and pokes shouldn't work according to him.

"Magnificent" Battle? Isn't that the understatement of the century XD More like the Super Sparkly Beautiful Fantastic Battle lol Well in all seriousness I am looking forward to this. Though I was expecting a battle between Piplup and Oshawott because of the preview clips if anything. I guess theirs is going to be more about impressing Meloetta for now. Anywho~

As always, it is confirmed that there will be no episode on July 12 since either Black Hero or White Hero (only one of them) will be airing on TV Tokyo that day.

sirokuro_banner.png

I am curious about the episode after this one, 86th. Since they are taking over Naruto's slot on June 14th and there is no break on the following week, we may not be getting any new episode in July, before the movie. If not on July 5, we will definitely be getting a break after the movie so I think it would be best idea to just leave the new episodes for first half of the July.

Only 2 episodes in and already Pochama has top billing in a title.

Yeah, no kidding. It's like they couldn't wait to have an excuse to shove Piplup in our faces again and do it ASAP. And while I'll be happy to see Dawn again, I'm pretty sure Piplup's return will remind me how much I don't miss that insult to all real penguins.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to this and I personally think this'll just be a for-the-hell-of-it battle rather than anything connected to the tournament. And yeah, Stunfisk would be a much better choice, but I'm fine with Pansage being used since it could use more exposure as well. Just take solace in the fact that it isn't Crustle...? I'm also hoping Pansage wins because A) I hate Piplup, and B) I'm really sick of seeing battles won by types that have the disadvantage. BW has seriously run that into the ground to the point that I'd be more surprised to see battles won with type advantages mattering, which makes what they usually go for totally backfire.

But since Dawn's likely not here to stay forever and that includes her Pokemon and that this is a grand re-introduction to the pre-Gen V Pokemon, I would not be surprised to see Piplup win anyway. Literally the only thing acceptable about Piplup to me is that it learned its new moves sensibly in a timely manner. And I didn't appreciate that about Piplup until the last Don Battle episode. I wouldn't mind seeing it having learned Drill Peck, though. At least give some better justification if Piplup wins this, if nothing else.

All in all, I'm rather happy this is happening because I was hoping for more Dawn/Cilan interaction than Dawn/Iris. While the latter may happen anyway, I'm sure I'll get more out of this reunion experience if Cilan does the bonding with Dawn. Pretty sure he's got more in common with Dawn than Iris, anyway. And I want to see him fag over the sparkles Dawn makes in the battle.

I kinda wonder if they'll reference the old unique techniques Ash used in DP that were quite clever and useful, since many of them were inspired by Dawn.

Then again, that would sort of contradict how BW Ash is. He's not nearly as innovative and clever as his DP self was. I think applying DP continuity here's just going to make me more angry about what BW did to Ash's character. Ah, pessimism can always be counted on to bring me back to earth.

Either way, so long as Piplup doesn't become too fucking obnoxious (... that's a bit too much to hope for, isn't it?), I should enjoy this battle wholeheartedly. Doesn't matter to me if Cilan turns out to be a Contest Connoisseur, though I wonder how he would be if Contests aren't held in Unova. Still, if it gives him an opportunity to fag over Dawn's CGI effects, I'm all for it.

I hope they both tie and double KO each other. I agree Cilan constantly winning is tiresome but I'd rather not see more Piplup glorification.

If Dawn and Cilan were battling with say Mamoswine and Stunfisk, then I'd say the battle should be more exciting.

I'm okay with Cilan winning this, kinda like I'm okay with Piplup being reduced to a bloody mess on the floor XD

Is this the first episode Dawn returns for? If so the scenes with the wild Pokemon, Mamoswine Vs. Ash's fire starter, and Dawn Vs. Cilan probably all happen in the same episode.

This is just awesome. XD I actually hope Dent has heard of contests and is a fan of them, it just makes sense with his character that he's kind of interested in everything and in different aspects of Pokémon. Then again, if he hasn't, I could be interested to see him want to learn more about how coordinators and their Pokémon interact as a sommelier. Honestly, I don't care who wins, who loses, who is used in the battle, I'm just glad to see two characters I like duking it out. :3

Cilan constantly winning

Considering Dent is the one out of the main trio with the lowest win loss ratio, it always makes me smile when people try to pass him off as someone who constantly wins. He loses a trainer battle for pretty much every one he wins while Satoshi and Iris have very little losses compared to their number of wins.

And when he does lose, such as against Luke, it's written off as him basically purposefully allowing himself to lose because he got too focused on testing Luke as a Gym Leader.

t just makes sense with his character that he's kind of interested in everything and in different aspects of Pokémon
That's one of the main reasons people are annoyed by him, he's interested in too much stuff. He's a Fishing Sommelier who caught a Pokemon without battling it simply by fishing it out, he's a Train Sommelier who knows the subway system inside and out and pretty much solved the Team Rocket plot by himself mostly during the Nimbassa Arc, he's a Science, a Movie, a Judge, and a Fossil Sommelier, and now possibly a Contest Sommelier. As Dent would say, too many ingredients spoil the broth. He's basically a blank character the writers have been tossing new stuff onto every other episode hidden beneath a cool voice-actor and a decent character who really needs to be re-focused.

Thankfully as of late the writers seemed to have realized this, because they've kind of lightened up on him a bit, but if he ends up being a natural-born Co-ordinator who defeats Dawn flawlessly, I'll rage.

Just a reminder, this thread is about the BW086 episode. It's okay to relate the episode to Dent's overall story, but your post should include something about the episode.

Thank you

I'm just hoping the Piplup VS Pansage is just a title. Unknown to us (well, me anyway) is the number of Pokemon battling for each side, and since I see BW exaggerate their titles often compared to the episodes themselves, the Piplup VS Pansage will either be quick or make the other battles end too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom