• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW086: Pochama VS Yanappu! The Magnificent Battle!!

qhXBn.jpg

qJ8Yc.jpg
That's something else from the usual sparkling background Dent gets whenever he goes into Tasting Time mode.

I can't even begin to imagine what they were going for there. His behaviour is puzzling? He's a balloonatic?

Did Satoshi tell Dent and Iris about Hikari off screen or was this meeting the first time the two were aware of her?

I wonder if Dent will start using Contest moves himself. Also just love the Pochama and Mijumaru rivalry going on.

Last edited:
If I can name this episode, I'll name it 'Dent and Hikari, the Magnificent Sparkle'.
Bubblebeam Couter Shield to crack Rocks, I don't quite sure it will cause sparkles anyways, but I simply like it. (Forget about Physics and just watch Pokemon)
That Ice Beam and Solar Beam clash is simply awesome! Meloetta is surely not going to be the only one loving the sparkle!!

I can see Dawn is not used to Dent's Tasting Time, but simply she must get used to it as she is going to stay quite long for the arc.

I love how Mimirol still blush at Pikachu (even they showed it in the preview already). I am happy because they did not forget about this.

Oshawott getting angry is meh for me, I really wanna ask, why won't you find another girl? There is nothing you won't hit on.

I also liked how Iris is curious towards other region's Pokemon, she actually asked Ash to scan Pochama (so.. Writers are setting up her as Champion?... Just kidding).

Last edited:
This episode made me so happy! It's so nice to see Dawn and Piplup again!

It seems they wanted to compensate the lack of new clothes with some new gadgets, in addition to Xtransceiver, Dawn has a Unova Pokédex. And it was nice to learn that Dawn visited Nimbasa and watched a Musical, but a shame not to earn a mention of the journey in Hoenn. I wonder how many Ribbons she has!

This was nice to see. So Dawn used Counter Shield eh? Well, Ash, now you HAVE to improve.

I was going to comment on this episode, but then I saw a picture of Elesa in bondage.

Wow. I guess with Dawn returning the writers are going back to their fanservice-y roots. Now I wonder if Elesa will return with her new BW2 design as well later on.

I was going to comment on this episode, but then I saw a picture of Elesa in bondage.

Wow. I guess with Dawn returning the writers are going back to their fanservice-y roots. Now I wonder if Elesa will return with her new BW2 design as well later on.

I'm surprised that's all you have to say...
I have to say though that I find it weird they didn't use THIS opportunity to showcase Elesa in her BW2 design
Also, lol at them connecting Dawn to the Musical in some way... I guess it is fitting for her character to like it
It also proves Dawn actually were in Unova for a while before meeting with Ash now, kind of funny to think she could come to Nimbassa just after Ash left XD (though he left Nimbassa long ago and I assume she just recently got to Unova)

It also proves Dawn actually were in Unova for a while before meeting with Ash now, kind of funny to think she could come to Nimbassa just after Ash left XD (though he left Nimbassa long ago and I assume she just recently got to Unova)
I was half expecting a Krokorok style montage of Dawn stalking Ash through Unova.

Those Elesa images are now burned into my memory.

So nobody mentioned Brock at all? Wow, poor guy.

I was half expecting a Krokorok style montage of Dawn stalking Ash through Unova.

LOL! XD

So nobody mentioned Brock at all? Wow, poor guy.

No, and absolutely nothing was said about what Dawn is actually doing right now - nothing was said about her Hoenn journey, ribbons, rivals or anything
I hope they're simply saving it for the eps where she'll leave or something... it'd be really bad if we never learn anything, not even the little we learned about May's Johto journey
I'm sure they'll have to at least make her say what she's going to do next when she'll leave, so at the very least we should find out if she's going back to Hoenn or if she's done there already...

I wonder if they don't want to mention anything about contests simply because they're not in the BW2 games and don't want little kids to look forward to doing them again.

I wonder if they don't want to mention anything about contests simply because they're not in the BW2 games and don't want little kids to look forward to doing them again.

They did mention Coordinators and Contests though... they're probably just trying to focus on the tournament for now and any real references are simply kept for Dawn's last eps (hopefully, that would be horrible if we never find out anything at all)

Kamilla once again shows why she's so popular among the male demografic. While she isn't as loveable as Géraldine I enjoyed her leather outfit...damn, I'm too old to write stuff like this...

I liked this episode but for some reason something was missing. Hard to say what it was but somehow it went by and ended all of sudden without much happening, much being told bar the (amusing) interaction of the characters.

I'm still not feeling Hikari as an character I'm supposed to look forward to to be honest. Pochama was great in this episode, especially his fighting with Takeshi-in-disguise ( maybe he fell into game!Bill's Transformation-Machine?) but Hikari herself wasn't really interesting. I would have loved to see a cameo of her rivals ( well, loved is exaggerated but you know what I mean), a few sentences about her newest journey in this episode but I guess there's more then enough time to do this later on this saga.

Dent was fun as he is most of the time and Hikari's reaction to his silly career-performance was nice as well. I guess you can say Pokémon Sommeliers like the sound of their own voice while saying nothing valid at all. No wonder they are unknown anywhere else then Unova. It may be a stupid and crazy profession but at least it is entertaining.

Maybe Satoshi will finally recover his lost memories of his old tactis he lost due to jetlag in BW1 and will come up with stuff like counter shield again. Who knows?

I hope the next few episodes will have more interaction of the gang's Pokémon other than Mijumaru, Pochama, Pikachu and ...Mimirol.

I think the odd thing is since Dawn had no new clothes and no new Pokemon, there doesn't seem to be anything truly "nice and unexpected" about her.

She really does feel exactly the same as we left her 2 years ago.

Well without understanding any of the actual dialogue, I quite liked this episode. Hikari is much more likable than 'Dawn'. Pochama was annoying as ever but the little rivalry with Oshawatt made him almost amusing at times. I think they've done a number on Hikari though. No new outfit, mention of ribbons or Hoenn. No cool new captures and no cool evolutions. She seems to have been frozen in time whilst Ash has been in Isshu capturing a whole bunch of new Pokemon and qualifying for the Pokemon League. Oh well, maybe we'll hear more about her progress later on.

The battle itself was kind of boring and over too quickly but a good episode, all in all.

Kamilla once again shows why she's so popular among the male demografic. While she isn't as loveable as Géraldine I enjoyed her leather outfit...damn, I'm too old to write stuff like this...
...you're going to take full advantage of the whole 'names that link to bulbapedia pages thing', aren't 'cha?
And yeah, you are too old for stuff like that. The days of embarrassing fan service threads have long since passed, my friend. *sob*

I generally agree with your standpoint on the episode though. It was mostly obligatory fluff, everybody faffing about and being introduced to one another, a laid back affair with not much really going on. They had to get all the necessary details out of the way so they can dive right into some Onix-based chase sequences.
It definitely had it's moments though, and it was nice to see things like the counter-shield referenced, although it would be even nicer to see it brought back for keeps.
Pochama and Mijumaru battling each other out was greatly amusing, but the danger of it becoming a shtick that wears thin is all too imminent. I too hope we get to see other pokemon interacting.

Iris and then Cilan both holding Dawn's Pachirisu is too cute:

brdQD.jpg
2mLGE.jpg
Here, have a full-body shot of a certain modelling Elesa image:

lRTFf.jpg

Last edited:
I think the odd thing is since Dawn had no new clothes and no new Pokemon, there doesn't seem to be anything truly "nice and unexpected" about her.

She really does feel exactly the same as we left her 2 years ago.

May and Misty felt like they're exactly the same characters anyway despite the new clothes (which really don't change much about the character...) and the new Pokémon (which for Misty was just that Gyarados or Azurill... and for May was only evolutions which weren't as much options to do so with Dawn)

Iris and then Cilan both holding Dawn's Pachirisu is too cute:

brdQD.jpg

Almost looks like they're doing a squirrle trade XD (and it is a nice touch that each girl is excited of the other's squirrle, some kind of recognition maybe to how similar these two Pokémon are)

And then Cilan just steals Iris' new Pachirisu cause he wants it too
Everyone wants Pachi <3
(lol, imagine if that actually happened and there were some crazy trades... after Aipom/Buizel, it proves they CAN do it... though obviously not going to happen now)

Here's my thoughts on the episode:

- Yeah, it sucks Hikari didn't get new clothes while Shirona did.
- Wow... Kamilla... wow.
- I'm happy that Counter Shield got a mention, but you know Satoshi won't take the chance to teach any of his Isshu Pokemon it.
- I've got a feeling that this episode will be the only significant appearance that Hikari's Pokemon (other than Pochama) will get.
- Hikari put Pochama in his Poke Ball before battling Dent. I didn't see that coming.
- Loved the interaction between Iris, Dent and Hikari's Pokemon. It makes sense that Iris would find Pachirisu cute.
- What is it about Pokemon leaving the main cast and coming back with actually good moves. Between this and Satoshi's Pokemon in the Suzuran Conference, it seems that all Satoshi has to do to get his Isshu Pokemon some decent attacks is to kick them off his team for a while.
- It sucks we didn't get to hear how Hikari is doing in Hoenn contests or what any of her rivals are up to. In fact, American viewers will probably wonder what she's been up to all this time.
- So... what is Hikari doing in Isshu in the first place anyway?

I really knew that Dawn will meet the fourth gym leader because I made a prodiction about months ago.
WTF on Dawn's face for Tasting time was funny.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom