• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW087: Survival on the Island of Iwark!

Holy Crap, with all these brand new moves Piplup is showing off, Buneary better have received some brand new move.

Not going to lie, I like Oshawott's hydro pump, one of the most unique animations for the move, using the Scalchops.

Using the Scalchops? He used it just like Piplup uses it in the opening song.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tv1341483556043.jpg
    tv1341483556043.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 8,523
Brock was mentioned? I've been waiting two years for this. :bawl:

That's great, I honestly didn't expect that he'd ever get a mention... And I'm really glad it was a little more than that too.

Glups Did Team Rocket throw to the watter the DNA LINK PIN

I am loving the fact that Hikari used Iris' awesome catchphrase.
And Takeshi was mentioned!

Also, Mijumaru was the boss using Hydro Pump.

Miju learned Hydro Pump so sudden and without prior training of said move...that damn Gary Stu...

To be fair, didn't Squirtle also suddenly learn Hydro Pump out of nowhere? If I recall, it just used it out of the blue in "Misty Meets Her Match" when Ash is battling against Rudy's Starmie.

I am happy to hear there was a Brock reference. Ash has a habit of forgetting all about his former travel buddies as soon as they part ways, which is irritating. It's always the other characters that remember them, however - Misty mentioned Brock during the Orange Islands and am I correct in saying it was Dawn who mentions him in this episode?

What the hell? Piplup can now use five different attacks (Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, Drill Peck, Headbutt, and Hydro Pump). Eventually the writers are going to make it forget something.

Also, out of all of the moves it could possibly learn, why did Oshawott have to learn Hydro Pump? I understand that Oshawott wanted to learn an attack so that it could match up to its new rival, but Hydro Pump is an attack that both Piplup and Ash's Palpitoad already know. Oshawott should have followed with what Pignite did and learned Water Pledge or some other type of Water-type attack that has a large range of damage.

Other than this, it was a generic episode that included a swarm of a pokemon species led by an alternatively colored member of that species.

Kibago and Doryuuzu training? Heh, I'll take it.

I love how enough thought Dento and Hikari would be the bestestestes of friends, lol still nope :p

Miju's Hydro Pump looks and sounds fucking epic!

63yk34_th.jpg

This reminds me of how Haruka's "Kamo" and Hikari's "Daijobou" were picked up by Satoshi-Tachi often XD

Last edited:
Dawn has picked up Iris' catchphrase, and both direct it at Ash...dear god.

Oh, brother... dual kodomo ne. I don't need this. 9_9

Good points:

- Don't worry, Brock, you're replaced, but not forgotten... by Dawn, at least;
- Meloetta goes pirouette in a great mahou shoujo fashion (sorry, pip and osha, she's glad with Ash's compliment, not yours :p);
- New attacks! It's about damn time, oshawott! But, this put you very very VERY distant from an evolution, now.

Bad points:

- Scanning onix, krabby, kingler... really, Ash? Let Dawn scan the old things now, for Pete's sake... oh, wait, she scanned krabby and kingler! Nevermind, then ^^";
- Oh, brother... dual kodomo ne + girls bonding. I don't need this. Again. 9_9²;
- Shiny onix. It's as stupid as a normal onix. Just bring the crystal onix back :p.

Meh episode is meh. I liked only meloetta's change form and pip + osha combo.

Last edited:
Oshawott, and Squirtle for that matter, learn Hydro Pump naturally anyway and I knew Oshawott would learn one of Piplup's attacks, I just hoped for ice beam seen as Palpitoad already has Hydro Pump.

Piplup getting Headbutt is kinda dumb, you'd think after Drill Peck and Ice Beam, another new move would have to be spectaculiar.

Brock got a mention, great. But I can't help but wonder why Dawn has said so little about what she has been getting up to, interesting she was not training at the start, maybe she is in a rut again?

I hope Piplup isn't Dawn's only pokemon to get focus and do stuff in this arc, I am worried about the other 5 :/

I wouldn't call what Piplup did Headbutt - he just kinda rammed Onix - it didn't make any glowing effects or anything that would suggest a move was being used. The fact it knocked him out trying probably shows the lack of an actual move.

Wow! So happy Takeshi was mentioned, about time too. I hate the way Ash always forgets his closest friends, just days after they leave. The Iris and Dawn stuff was really cute and funny. I'm actually quite liking Dawn this time round. I think it's the lack of seriousness that BW allows. It suits her better.

I don't like where this is going. Now both of them mock Ash. At least Dawn deserves the role reversal...for now. It is still neat we get some character development.

What the hell? Piplup can now use five different attacks (Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, Drill Peck, Headbutt, and Hydro Pump). Eventually the writers are going to make it forget something.

Are you sure about Headbutt?... I'm not sure when or if it used it at all...
Also, was it confirmed already it's Drill Peck and not same old Peck?
In late DP it knew: BubbleBeam / Whirlpool / Hydro Pump / Peck
BubbleBeam is Pip's "Thunderbolt" (even in the High Touch song Ash sings about Pika's Thunderbolt and Dawn sings about Pip's BubbleBeam) so it's here to stay
Whirlpool was compareable to Pika's Volt Tackle which Pika replaced with Electro Ball and I assume Pip replaced with Ice Beam
Hydro Pump stayed and Peck either stayed or got upgraded to Drill Peck
So it's BubbleBeam / Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / (Drill?) Peck
4 moves... nothing wrong...

- Scanning onix, krabby, kingler... really, Ash? Let Dawn scan the old things now, for Pete's sake... oh, wait, she scanned krabby and kingler! Nevermind, then ^^";

Both Ash and Dawn dexed these Poké for Iris, it was extremely obvious even without understanding the dialogue, as was the case when Ash dexed Pip last ep
Also, I wish people would stop complaining about it already, dexing a Poké does NOT mean you don't know it... when will people finally realize that? it just gives you some info, what's so bad? when any character dex a Poké it's to learn more about it, not necessarily to find out what it IS... and of course it's for the viewers too

Piplup getting Headbutt is kinda dumb,

I'm still not sure where this came from... can anyone confirm this Heatbutt thing?

Brock got a mention, great. But I can't help but wonder why Dawn has said so little about what she has been getting up to,

I think maybe she didn't say anything about her Hoenn journey for the same reason she didn't mention Brock last ep
She'll be around for a while, so they're saving these kind of things to spread over her episodes rather than have her talk about everything at once
I at least hope we'll learn SOMETHING about her Hoenn journey when she'll leave the group eventually...

interesting she was not training at the start, maybe she is in a rut again?

Doesn't seem like that at all, I think she's just excited being in Unova and wanted to have some fun

I hope Piplup isn't Dawn's only pokemon to get focus and do stuff in this arc, I am worried about the other 5 :/

Yeah, hopefully they'll at least get some battles in the tournament

I'm still not sure where this came from... can anyone confirm this Heatbutt thing?

It was specifically identified as Headbutt, yes.

Wow, seriously? seems pretty ridiculous to give it such a move, not to mention break the 4 moves rule they tried to stick to in recent years
Also, can you give me final confirmation on that: is it using Peck or Drill Peck?

Also, can you give me final confirmation on that: is it using Peck or Drill Peck?

Well, the sub stated that it was just Peck. Dawn said something in the line with ''Use Peck and put a spin to it!''
How accurate the sub is though I really don't know.

Well, the sub stated that it was just Peck. Dawn said something in the line with ''Use Peck and put a spin to it!''

I won't be surprised then, cause when I watched today's ep I thought I heard Dawn use the same Japanese word for regular Peck that she used to say during DP
And a lot of the Drill Peck talking recently was just us users specualting based on that preview which showed what seemed to be Drill Peck but could be regular Peck as well, I'm not sure if maybe someone already confirmed what it was in last ep's thread but I can't bother to check XD so if someone can just confirm it once and for all that would be nice

First off let me say, I'm happy Brock got talked about a bit but its sad that Dawn had to be the one to bring him up even though hes Ash's longest traveling buddie, must have been zapped by Pikachu one too many times wonder how this affected Team Rocket's memoryXD I love the cute little Pearlshipping moments, Ash being more concerned about Dawn than Iris for the LOL. I liked Iris and Dawn's interactions, do not like Dawn agreeing with Iris about Ash being a kid am hopping she calls Dawn a kid next episode maybe? Like Ash scanning Pokemon for Iris not for himself, thank you writers. Over all, I've been loving Best Wishes 2 and am not really looking forward to the Dento episode next week but yah know can't be all hits I guess but hopefully we get some Pearlshippingness to make up for it ^

Then I am blaming the sub. She actually commanded Piplup to use "Doriru Kuchibashi", which means Drill Peck. So, there is no doubt about it.

Same for today's episode --> "Zutsuki" (Headbutt)

First off let me say, I'm happy Brock got talked about a bit but its sad that Dawn had to be the one to bring him up even though hes Ash's longest traveling buddie, must have been zapped by Pikachu one too many times wonder how this affected Team Rocket's memoryXD I love the cute little Pearlshipping moments, Ash being more concerned about Dawn than Iris for the LOL. I liked Iris and Dawn's interactions, do not like Dawn agreeing with Iris about Ash being a kid am hopping she calls Dawn a kid next episode maybe? Like Ash scanning Pokemon for Iris not for himself, thank you writers. Over all, I've been loving Best Wishes 2 and am not really looking forward to the Dento episode next week but yah know can't be all hits I guess but hopefully we get some Pearlshippingness to make up for it ^
Lol, yeah, I noticed that he said Hikari-tachi and not Iris-tachi, so yeah, his first thoughts went to Hikari XD I didn't mind Hikari calling Satoshi's a kid because she was probably doing it to annoy him, and I find that in-character. But yeah, Hikari is more of a kid than Satoshi, or at least she was in D/P.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom