• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW087: Survival on the Island of Iwark!

Then I am blaming the sub. She actually commanded Piplup to use "Doriru Kuchibashi", which means Drill Peck. So, there is no doubt about it.

Same for today's episode --> "Zutsuki" (Headbutt)

Oh, so maybe I somehow thought "zutsuki" was "tsuzuki' which is Peck... ok, so apparently Pip currently knows: BubbleBeam / Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Drill Peck / Headbutt ? and that's 5 moves... wtf, Headbutt was really ridiculous in my opinion, they could just not do it and keep it at 4 like they tried to do so far... oh well

I think this episode just further confirms that none of Ash's female companions will ever have a problem with each other, no matter how hard the shippers want them to. (If it wasn't already proven by Misty/May and May/Dawn.)

From what everyone has said so far this episode sounds fairly filler-ish, so I'll be interesting in seeing how important the other episodes that Dawn is set to appear in are. Onix always tends to reappear in filler episodes, doesn't he?

I wonder how the same animation team can improve so much from one episode to another.
Dawn's eyes last episode looked so bizarre, and in this was in top form.

- I don't like the setting one bit, I feel that if Dawn is there it should fell less fillery like Onyx Island with a shiny Onix.
- I quite enjoyed the Iris Dawn interactions, and girls are just like that, turn on the male friend. :D
- Great that Miju learned Hydropump and I what did Piplup learn?
- Brock mention, good. Ash should have done that the first time Cilan cooked for them.
- And what's up with Meloetta? Why does it feel she has a secret? Is there a Meloetto? =)
- All in all, good episode. 7.4/10 IMO.

There's really no reason the girls wouldn't get along... though I wouldn't expect Dawn and Iris to get along as good as they ended up being, due to their different personalities... I thought they simply won't interact too much but it seems they actually do and it is very entertaining and nice to see them get along so good, so I'm happy
Dawn actually makes Iris slightly more fun than she is otherwise... but well, Dawn makes everything better :) poor BW series the moment Dawn will leave...
BTW, I now wonder if Dawn will mention Paul and/or Barry when she'll met Trip and Ash's other rivals... I can totally see Trip reminding her of Paul and Bianca reminding her of Barry XD

Well Piplup didn't use Ice Beam or (Drill) Peck at all in the episode, so apart from being terrible writing it could mean it has lost one of those moves. I don't understand how Headbutt would be part of a contest scenario, and if what happened when it headbutted Onix is any guide, it just doesn't have the strength to use a really physical move like that (hence me thinking it didn't look like a move at all).

Well Piplup didn't use Ice Beam or (Drill) Peck at all in the episode, so apart from being terrible writing it could mean it has lost one of those moves. I don't understand how Headbutt would be part of a contest scenario, and if what happened when it headbutted Onix is any guide, it just doesn't have the strength to use a really physical move like that (hence me thinking it didn't look like a move at all).

I really doubt it lost Ice Beam or Drill Peck... we'll probably see them used in later eps and that would make the fact Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle very ridiculous...
I'm still shocked they seriously bothered to break the 4 moves rule just to give Pip HEADBUTT - like... seriously?... HEADBUTT?!?!?!....... they really shouldn't have done it and leave it with just BubbleBeam, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Drill Peck

I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash (as she had less experience then he did, a lot less). Now as i wait for the next episode, that part of the episode will haunt my mind.

You'd think the writers would give Ash more credit, considering he's battle Onyx and its evolved form before and won. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.

Brock getting a reference in this manner reminds me of how Misty was brought up via the lure in DP, or Max's cameo in the Wallace Cup, but neither actually came back with a speaking role.

If Brock does appear it probably won't be till much later on and he'll probably only get like 2 episodes as a doctor or something. But him only being shown in a flashback probably doesn't bode well:

- Usually when characters are set to come back they're not mentioned at all. Dawn wasn't mentioned in BW1 at all, and May wasn't mentioned at all in early DP until she showed up. Meanwhile characters who ARE brought up, (Misty, Max and now Brock), tend not to return. I don't know why the writers do this but that's the way they work. I now believe if Cynthia mentions Paul we won't see him ever again either.

I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash (as she had less experience then he did, a lot less). Now as i wait for the next episode, that part of the episode will haunt my mind.

You'd think the writers would give Ash more credit, considering he's battle Onyx and its evolved form before and won. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.

You're exaggerating... Iris can laugh at Ash being childish in personality regardless of his achievements... and Dawn is clearly teasing him in a friendly way, it comes differently when Dawn says that to him than when Iris do... Dawn does like to mess around with him for fun (see how she wakes him up with Pika in the final DP ep or the way she met him now in Unova when she "surprised" him)
So Dawn is just joking around and isn't as serious as Iris is when she's doing the "kodomo ne" thing, she just joined her for fun XD
And even Iris, as I said, can call him so if she feels he acts childish, his achievements have nothing to do with this

Brock getting a reference in this manner reminds me of how Misty was brought up via the lure in DP, or Max's cameo in the Wallace Cup, but neither actually came back with a speaking role.

If Brock does appear it probably won't be till much later on and he'll probably only get like 2 episodes as a doctor or something. But him only being shown in a flashback probably doesn't bode well:

- Usually when characters are set to come back they're not mentioned at all. Dawn wasn't mentioned in BW1 at all, and May wasn't mentioned at all in early DP until she showed up. Meanwhile characters who ARE brought up, (Misty, Max and now Brock), tend not to return. I don't know why the writers do this but that's the way they work. I now believe if Cynthia mentions Paul we won't see him ever again either.

That still means nothing and they can appear anyway
Also, I think Dawn is now more likely to mention Paul and/or Barry when she'll meet Trip and/or Bianca (assuming they'll be in the tournament)

You're exaggerating... Iris can laugh at Ash being childish in personality regardless of his achievements... and Dawn is clearly teasing him in a friendly way, it comes differently when Dawn says that to him than when Iris do... Dawn does like to mess around with him for fun (see how she wakes him up with Pika in the final DP ep or the way she met him now in Unova when she "surprised" him)
So Dawn is just joking around and isn't as serious as Iris is when she's doing the "kodomo ne" thing, she just joined her for fun XD
And even Iris, as I said, can call him so if she feels he acts childish, his achievements have nothing to do with this

And that's another thing, in what way are Iris and Dawn less childish than Ash? The way they treat that comment, you'd think Iris was much more mature than Ash, but she's not

Remember the first time Satoshi's Hikozaru faced Shinji's Ringuma and there was some belief that Ringuma used Headbutt but it was decided it didn't... yeah, I think the same goes here. I really doubt Pochama used the move. (in fact, it looked like he was trying to copy Mijumaru's Aqua Jet).

Speaking of moves, Mijumaru got Hydro Pump... sorry, but that's another f**king awful move choice from the writers of Best Wishes. Seriously guys, you decide to give the otter a new move and instead of giving him something interesting you instead lump him with another (almost identical) water move? I mean, Mijumaru was competing with Pochama so why couldn't he have learned Ice Beam too (or better yet, some different to really make him stand out like Hidden Power). Hell, I would have taken Water Pulse over Hydro Pump (funnily enough, Filb.de's screencaps make it look like that's what he used) instead of a move that's already known by another of Satoshi's Pokemon. I though Kenhallow learning Aerial Ace was bad enough...

What's next... Tsutarja learning Leaf Tornado? Waruvile learning Sandstorm? Pikachu learning Discharge?

And that's another thing, in what way are Iris and Dawn less childish than Ash? The way they treat that comment, you'd think Iris was much more mature than Ash, but she's not
Actually, I think part of the joke is that Iris calls Ash a child when she's obviously just as much of a child as he is. Both are obviously pretty childish. Like that time she was telling Ash that he was too much of a kid to appreciate Cilan's spicy food, but she was obviously suffering too. And how about her ridiculous fear of ice types? And really, Dawn looked like she was doing it just to annoy Ash. She respects Ash, she actually knows what that he can be talented at battles (I always wonder what would've happened if Cilan and Iris had watched Ash battle in the Sinnoh League?), she just likes to tease him.

So with Dawn, once again we only see Piplup for the entire episode.

I have a bad feeling that Dawn's stay is only going to focus on Piplup. We only saw all her pokemon last time just to see she still had the same team. I know Mamoswine will get a training battle soon, but things don't look good so far.

I'm still convinced that the move PIPLUP used was WATER PULSE! It had the same animation Trip's Frilish used in BW010!

And headbut looked a lot like tackle! No sparkles there.
And why the hell Piplup didn't used whirlpool!????

So with Dawn, once again we only see Piplup for the entire episode. I have a bad feeling that Dawn's stay is only going to focus on Piplup. We only saw all her pokemon last time just to see she still had the same team. I know Mamoswine will get a training battle soon, but things don't look good so far.

Yeah, the writers seem to be milking the cutesy-poo stuff to the bone in this region. Least Hoenn and Sinnoh had a nice balance of cute and awesome showcasing.

I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.

In a fitting moment of irony a few minutes later, Iris grabbed that Magnemite and got zapped, while Dawn grabbed that Foongus and got gassed. What a couple of kids!

I find it disturbing that Iris/Cilan don't know anything about Ash's past. If Dawn didn't bring up Brock I am sure Ash wouldn't have.

Its amazing how Ash seems to not mention anything he does to new travel companions.

He's mentioning less and less with each passing season; I think that he's become jaded to the departures and perhaps finds solace in forgetting about them rather than mulling them over all the time, to prevent any type of emotional illness from developing XP

No but really, they ain't relevant no more...no need to bring up anything from the past...no need to bring up to a certain hoity toity blonde haired orange jacket wearing rival that he's inferior to a certain other hoity toity rival that sldkahf;klhglkshdfkjdfl

Okay I'll stop now.

But, very glad that Brock was mentioned, it was a nice little nod to his past~

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom