• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW088: Sommelier Detective Dent! The Mystery of the Missing Kumasyun!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Sommelier Detective Dent! The Mystery of the Missing Kumasyun!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard - Yūji Asada
Assistant director - Takenori Kawada
Animation director - Masaaki Iwane

While continuing to train together in Sazanami Town, Satoshi and his friends meet a boy named Chris who's looking for a Kumashun. After hearing Chris' story, Satoshi-tachi also become worried about the pokemon and agree to help look for it. Dent uses his skills as a Detective Sommelier to spot some strange footprints leading into a nearby forest and deduces that they belong to whatever it is that took Kumashun. As they enter the forest, our heroes run into a Tsunbear! Is it possible that this pokemon had something to do with Kumashun's disappearance? Can Detective Dent uncover the truth?

This episode in a nutshell.

tumblr_lzrm5wCRLf1r1tf74o1_500.gif

Though, honestly, it wasn't very exciting.

I did, however, love the scene where Chris tries to recall Beartic, and it just sits there.

This ep was just mind-numbingly boring and a total waste of Iwane's skills. Plain and simple.

A pure filler, and I am not impressed as its not so funny :(
Random Focus Blast hitting, if they make Scraggy master it in this episode, I would say its better.

Dawn mentioned Brock again
I didn't get to really see what we saw on screen but I did hear it, apparently she reacted to Cilan being weird again and told Iris that Brock was weird too and had his girls thing... then the girls are like "oh, boys..." LOL

There's something that really stood out for me in this episode. But I can't quite remember what it was...

VjQEw.jpg
Oh right! Now I remember.

Kdf1S.jpg
Takeshi gets mentioned again! Come on writers stop teasing, bring out the episode were he visits Isshu.

Oh and Sommelier Detective Dent, he's always enjoyable. Was really glad to see that talent of his again.

Last edited:
I thought it was an ok episode. The main plot is boring as hell, but I was happy to hear Takeshi mentioned again and I did find Hikari's reactions to Dent's failure as a detective funny. I liked Iris and Hikari agreeing that men are a pain XD More than I expected from the episode, to be honest.

which move was Mamoswine matching with takedown? energyball?
nice ep. ut I hated they are putting scraggy in the kid bag again.

Average episode, I liked the interactions, I thought that Dent and Hikari were funny in this, but yeah, not this isn't one for the ages. XD

SERIOUSLY ,
How long we have to wait for Scraggy to master that Dam ''Focus Blast'' ?
Not to mention the fact that Scraggy still need to learn another non-fighting new move!
Writer could deal with that Focus Blast Off-screen !
Does I have to wait 2 more episode just for Scraggy to Master Focus Blast & Learn New Move!
I hate Stupid pure Filler Like that , This Type of Episode waste Time !
Now I have to wait One more weak for A Tournament that might meant for Trip!!!

What's with yet another mention of Brock? Unless Dawn's point is to bring up the fact that Ash travels with relatively creepy people, it seems odd to mention him yet again if it isn't going to build up to something in a future episode.

I liked the battle at the start, though a bit annoying it didn't really have a conclusion. Considering Mamoswine is heading for either a big win or loss against Dragonite, it may as well have had a loss/win respectively here to even things up a bit.

Meloetta is starting to annoy me now - I don't like how the conflict is deliberately made with Piplupowott just to have nearly a minute of Meloetta singing and comments on how wonderful it is. It ruined the pacing of the episode and just seems to have served to drag out the already strained plot. I'd have much preferred the Pokemon being given a bit of extra time to play in that room - why can't they have fun for once? Release all the Pokemon out of their balls and let Cilan do the detective stuff on his own.

On the other hand, I liked Axew here - his joy at discovering the minor clue was great. At least Axew was having some fun this episode, because otherwise for something broadly aimed at comedy, it really failed. Cilan's personality is all well and good, but I'd be quite annoyed at someone making up crack theories while you are trying to look for your Pokemon, like spending two minutes telling a story when all the kid had to do was try using his Pokeball on it.
1342681432-191413-001.jpg

I liked how Dawn was smart here and was the one to suggest trying to return Beartic to its ball to see if it is the kid's Cubchoo
Reminds me when Dawn used to have some ideas or find out things in the DP eps (Luxray ep, Spiritomb ep, etc)

I've got to be honest here, this 'season 2' hasn't really been setting my world on fire. All of the episodes thus far have been pretty bland imo, and apart from one or two 'heh' moments, I don't think this one is exempt from that assessment.

Meloetta also feels very shoe-horned into all of this.

Eh, just another random ep. At least they had the sense for Ash and Dawn to tie, although it's still looking more and more like Dawn is the expert now instead of Ash.

Eh, just another random ep. At least they had the sense for Ash and Dawn to tie, although it's still looking more and more like Dawn is the expert now instead of Ash.
Your Right,
-This episode is meaningless
-Writer make's everybody a Expert expect Ash , That's why Best Wish suck's!

Hm, Brock getting mention in two episodes in a row really makes me think he will show up now...maybe not anytime soon but later on.

This episode was a meh filler designed to give Dawn an extra episode to stick around for.

I'm giving this episode a 4/10, the plot was just boring and bland, and it feels like the writers are just wasting their time and effort, really, they KNOW they are capable of writing wonderful stories, they just choose not to and make these kinds of episodes instead.

Meloetta is starting to get on my nerves, basically, I feel like she is just being shoehorned in, and it's basically Piplup vs Oshawott, then Meloetta sings, and everyone comments on how wonderful it is, and it's been like this for several episodes, it's just a pointless subplot that did not need to be there, and it only slows down the plot of the episode.

I've got to be honest here, this 'season 2' hasn't really been setting my world on fire. All of the episodes thus far have been pretty bland imo, and apart from one or two 'heh' moments, I don't think this one is exempt from that assessment.

Meloetta also feels very shoe-horned into all of this.

I agree, Best Wishes Season 2 is just lazily done, like the writers are putting no effort into the episodes, and are just writing random stuff that has nothing to do with anything, in fact, most of Best Wishes has been like this, just random plots with no direction at all, and with Ash having 8 of Unova's 10 badges, they're just now doing nothing now but random and pointless episodes. Meloetta seems like nothing more than a poorly written in comic relief character to me, when they keep implying that she is important to the plot, when really, she's just there, and feels downright pointless.

Your Right,
-This episode is meaningless
-Writer make's everybody a Expert expect Ash , That's why Best Wish suck's!

I can agree with you there, the writers know they can write great stories with great surprises and twists, but instead write weak, boring, repetitive stories with bland characters and childish plots, it's like they do not care about their writing at all. I also agree that they are making everyone look better at what they do than Ash does, it shows that they just don't care about the character anymore.

I agree, Best Wishes Season 2 is just lazily done, like the writers are putting no effort into the episodes, and are just writing random stuff that has nothing to do with anything, in fact, most of Best Wishes has been like this, just random plots with no direction at all, and with Ash having 8 of Unova's 10 badges, they're just now doing nothing now but random and pointless episodes. Meloetta seems like nothing more than a poorly written in comic relief character to me, when they keep implying that she is important to the plot, when really, she's just there, and feels downright pointless.

I disagree entirely, this has been the only true pure filler we've had so far. Cynthia's debut, Dawn's return, and the Dawn/Iris interaction in the Onix episode have all been noteworthy...and next week is the Dragonite capture.

I knew the moment this episode was announced that it was just going to be a filler so there was nothing to expect out of this one. We've only actually had 4 BW2 episodes so far, and they're about on par with what most of DP was like.

Oh god, Iris just outright screams to Dent that he's a pain and Dent, for the first time, reacts as Iris yells it to him.

It causes him to go sulking. Way more entertaining than Iris simply groaning about Dent being "a pain" at the back.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom