• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW089: Iris and the roughneck Kairyu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the kids watching will (most likely) have the opposite feeling that most of us here have. "A main character getting a super powerful Pokemon? That's so awesome!"

Maybe. I know if I was one of those little kids, I'd probably be wondering why couldn't Ash get a super powerful Pokemon as well. "He's the main character after all. : ("

Most of the kids watching will (most likely) have the opposite feeling that most of us here have. "A main character getting a super powerful Pokemon? That's so awesome!"

Maybe. I know if I was one of those little kids, I'd probably be wondering why couldn't Ash get a super powerful Pokemon as well. "He's the main character after all. : ("

You hit the nail on the head on how kid!me would react. "Dat's not fair!!" Those kids will have to wait until Krokorok evolves, THEN the playing field will be leveled (maybe).

You hit the nail on the head on how kid!me would react. "Dat's not fair!!" Those kids will have to wait until Krokorok evolves, THEN the playing field will be leveled (maybe).

The Japanese like a mix of cute and strong Pokemon though. It is why Piplup is insanely popular over there.

Good for Iris, I say. Nice to see her getting something potentially interesting to do at last.

Yeah, just when I think Iris' character couldn't get any less compelling and any less interesting. :p

So, if I understand things correctly about this episode, people blame Kairyu for whatever's going on, Pochama and Mijumaru's combined forces aren't enough to do anything to it, but wait, Iris with her innate and effortless skills as a Dragon Master, that she doesn't need to train, learn or cultivate, magically steps in, totally solves the issue and magically gets a fully evolved Dragon pokémon and solves the whole Sazandora thing all on her own through being so kind, understanding and sees the truth when no one else will because they're so ordinary, common and judgemental... right before yet another major tournament where we're supposed to believe that after doing nothing for 40+ episodes since her less than believable win of the Don Battle, her pokémon are all totally battle ready with no effort or training, just because they bask in her presence... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The thing that this episode seems to have in common with some of Iris' past focus episodes is that it tries so hard to be a dramatic episode, but fails because at the heart of drama is flaw, and struggle, and a vulnerability that the writers seem averse to show Iris possess. That's why Iris episodes generally fail, they never cross the line into making Iris a flawed character, a human character, a relatable character, but instead. I don't have anything to say about this capture that hasn't been said already so I'll stop here, but wow... this is making Hikari getting Togekiss look like a Pullitzer winning novel.

So, if I understand things correctly about this episode, people blame Kairyu for whatever's going on, Pochama and Mijumaru's combined forces aren't enough to do anything to it, but wait, Iris with her innate and effortless skills as a Dragon Master, that she doesn't need to train, learn or cultivate, magically steps in, totally solves the issue and magically gets a fully evolved Dragon pokémon and solves the whole Sazandora thing all on her own through being so kind, understanding and sees the truth when no one else will because they're so ordinary, common and judgemental... right before yet another major tournament where we're supposed to believe that after doing nothing for 40+ episodes since her less than believable win of the Don Battle, her pokémon are all totally battle ready with no effort or training, just because they bask in her presence... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The thing that this episode seems to have in common with some of Iris' past focus episodes is that it tries so hard to be a dramatic episode, but fails because at the heart of drama is flaw, and struggle, and a vulnerability that the writers seem averse to show Iris possess. That's why Iris episodes generally fail, they never cross the line into making Iris a flawed character, a human character, a relatable character, but instead. I don't have anything to say about this capture that hasn't been said already so I'll stop here, but wow... this is making Hikari getting Togekiss look like a Pullitzer winning novel.
Yes, that's exactly what happened in the episode that aired two weeks from now.

I seem to remember Ash getting more than one very powerful Pokemon he wasn't well-equipped to deal with at first, and those storylines are remembered quite fondly.

Yes, I know that the show has a reputation for being formulaic and predicable. But when it comes to passing final judgement, could we do it to the episode that airs instead of to the one we're currently imagining?

But why does she need Dragonite, she has Excadrill. Poor guy is forgotten already :C Unless there comes a rivalry between them which would be cool and redeem this capture I guess :/

Last edited:
This is a stupid capture, but there is no use crying and complaining about it.

So Iris gets a Dragonite now too? She already has an Excadrill that beat Pikachu. It's times like these that i wish Ash would call out his past larger pokemon and tackle the ones Iris has. Charizard, Bayleaf, Sceptile, Donphan, Torterra, any of them. Why should Iris be the one with the huge Pokemon?

Magazine scans.

wwwdotuporg3193375.jpg

wwwdotuporg3193376.jpg

Oh god.. not Darmanitan and Garbodor again why do the writers like showing them off so much? Is Darmanitan that popular?

Perhaps Dragonite's personality might be a slight positive point out of all of this. It should be bros with Stunfisk and Palpitoad - Iris is lacking a derp Pokemon.

I really hope Cilan stops Dragonite flying away using a frying pan.

Oh god.. not Darmanitan and Garbodor again why do the writers like showing them off so much? Is Darmanitan that popular?

Well, it is in your very own sig as well, and it is a pretty awesome Pokémon anyway. :p

Gotta love the perspective in the first scan. The return of Takeda in manga form this time?

One more Darmanitan? Woah.

And damn... I might sound stupid now, but I was actually leaning toward that Magmortar actually belonging to Paul, I guess it was just an overdose of wishful thinking. Bleh.

Nice to see Ferrothorn making its debut here, even though it'll surely be playing an underwhelming role. Both Ferroseed and Ferrothorn have now had their debuts in episodes centering around Iris. Coincidence? definitely :pPppPP

The images are making this episode to look very interesting. It seems like Jenny has gathered some strong trainers to stop Dragonite in its tracks, and Dawn and Ash seems to be joining in it too with Oshawott and Piplup. Without no evidence of Dragonite actually being the one who caused the problems (what was the problem now again? Power failure?) it seems like Iris steps up to protect it, as their act isn't fair, or something.

It does look to me like the battle with Hydreigon might just be a flashback, that'd be disappointing. Maybe Dragonite got hurt and took shelter in Undella Town? Whatever it did I must say that it's looking interesting. But, where's Dento? I can see both Ash and Dawn, but no Dento. Oh well, maybe he's there too, but wasn't just featured in the scan.

I'm going to be very miffed if Ferroseed/Ferrothorn only get to appear in Iris episodes. They're among my favorite Gen V Pokemon and... why? Why must they be squandered like this? They deserve meaningless filler just as all the others do. Gah...

Everything else about this episode rubs me the wrong way for obvious reasons.

Well, it is in your very own sig as well, and it is a pretty awesome Pokémon anyway. :p

Gotta love the perspective in the first scan. The return of Takeda in manga form this time?

Well I got that signature before they didn't show Darmanitan in basically every single episode :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom