• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW089: Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!

Dragonite's hilarious rage faces aside, this was a pretty uninspiring episode. Meloetta and her posse of round, blue water types should really just butt out if all they're just going to do is chew up screentime, marketing be damned.

Meloetta and her posse of round, blue water types should really just butt out if all they're just going to do is chew up screentime, marketing be damned.
THIS. Seriously, writers, Meloetta not singing and Potchama and Mijumaru not acting like college fraternity students once an episode isn't gonna destroy little children's hearts.

Iris touches Kairyu and apparantly gets another unusual ability added to her already packed repertoire of skills only she possesses and sets her apart from all the weak and ordinary people.

Is it just me, or is this "unusual" ability of Iris's merely a cheap imitation of Ash's ability of sensing the aura? It was just randomly thrown in in the episode and didn't really serve a purpose. At least when Ash used his ability, he used it to save Riolu from Hunter J.

I enjoyed this episode A LOT more than I thought I would.

I loved the beginning of the episode. Very rarely do we get a scene of two wild Pokemon interacting without any human character interaction to intervene. I wasn't horribly bothered that we didn't know the back story of why they were fighting. Perhaps they were old rivals? Besides, I don't think it would have been necessary to show why they were fighting in the first place, it was hardly relevant to the actual plot of the episode. We know that Kairyu was hurt by Sazandora, I don't think it needed any further elaboration.

I loved Kairyu's personality and expressions. The poor thing looked like it was really in pain, so of course it'd be acting out against those that were trying to help it, that's what most wild animals do. Meloetta singing...ehhhh. Yeah, okay, you made your point, Meloetta.

While I do agree to a point that this episode over gloried Iris, I don't think it made anyone else look stupid in the process. Junsar and the...people she hired (?) were doing their job- doing their best to get the wild Pokemon out of the electric plant. Iris seemed to be the only one that realized that it was injured, and (I'm assuming, I don't know much Japanese) was doing what she could to help from the position she was in. No one wants to see an already hurt Pokemon get hurt even worse. They had probably left all of their supplies back at the mansion, so maybe that's why they didn't have any berries or Potions to help it.

While I am still "eh" on the capture itself, the way it happened, I am not. Though Kairyu was reckless, it was injured at the time. Wild Pokemon probably aren't used to humans trying to help them. I think that its change of heart came from that it realized Iris was the only one out of everyone that was able to help it in its time of need. (Not that any of Satoshi & co wouldn't have been able to- Iris just so happened to be one stuck with it in that room.)

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode much more than I thought I would. I'm still annoyed by the convenience of what happened, but on it's own I thought this episode was endearing. I hope we see much more of Kairyu outside of battles, too.

Is it just me, or is this "unusual" ability of Iris's merely a cheap imitation of Ash's ability of sensing the aura? It was just randomly thrown in in the episode and didn't really serve a purpose. At least when Ash used his ability, he used it to save Riolu from Hunter J.

At least Ash had background and build up for the whole aura thing and his connection with Lucario and Riolu in general
And it made much more sense than how they handled Iris'.... get-visions-by-touching-a-Pokémon ability

Again, iris has shown this ability before. It was hardly random.

Again, she didn't, she NEVER touched a Pokémon and then magically saw its flashbacks, it didn't happen until now
And yes it is very random and barely makes any sense at all

Random appearance of Magmortar was random. Well this is East Unova so I guess it's not that random. Still a little strange to see a trainer with a non-Gen V Pokemon and not being a major role. Aww poor Cilan could not fit in that air vent. Well I guess this is why.

Hipz.png

Can't say that I really enjoyed this episode over all though. Basically because Iris mixed with the misunderstood Pokemon that only she can understand doesn't do it for me. Based on what was shown, it looked like Dragonite picked a fight with the Hydreigon anyway so yeah, I don't feel all that sorry for it.

At least Cilan wasn't ignored as much as I thought he was going to be, on the plus side. And Dawn and Iris weren't attached at the hip, as someone pointed out earlier.

After Dragonite notices the Pidoves madly squawking in a fleeing flight, I wonder as to why he decides to completely turn his back on Hydreigon, as he notices Hydreigon about to fire DragonBreath at him a second beforehand. I've thought of many reasons, but the most tangible to me seems that he wished to cease the fight and fly away before the attack made a mark but Hydreigon's hyper beam was much too quick for him. Why? Perhaps he felt the Hydreigon was a very formidable opponent that he couldn't defeat, and/or it would simply disturb other Pokemon from their habitats if they raged on, such as Pidove's. It appears that it chooses to battle with very powerful Pokemon, which adds to its general competitive style, so I wonder where did that trait originate; is there a deep reason for it? Maybe not, but if there is, I hope it is explored later on.
Dento chose to enter that vent in such a peculiar fashion, slightly reminiscent to the frontstroke swimming position, but his poor back nonetheless.
I found Dragonite's hesitation and contemplation at the end as it hoovered in mid air really cute. Did it roar to Iris to signal to hurry up and catch it, or was it doing that on habit and she just decided that she would catch it... well, I'm assuming it might have been both, especially after Dento's explanation.

In regards to Dawn and Ash sending out Oshawott and Piplup, they send them out as the Dragonite spews flamethrower, so I'm supposing it was presumably to cease that attack as they did. However, why they didn't just use a more formidable Pokemon to do so and to defend, I'm befuddled about also, as it would've made more sense. I'm musing if it might have been unnecessary cute mascot promotion. They're also trapped together with Iris. They didn't seem to quarrel at all over anything in this episode though, which was a pleasant aspect for me.

In my view, it was an okay episode. Not great, yet okay nevertheless.

Last edited:
At least Ash had background and build up for the whole aura thing and his connection with Lucario and Riolu in general
And it made much more sense than how they handled Iris'.... get-visions-by-touching-a-Pokémon ability
Again, she didn't, she NEVER touched a Pokémon and then magically saw its flashbacks, it didn't happen until now
And yes it is very random and barely makes any sense at all
Iris has always been able to do that. She was reading its heart, trying connect with it, and understand how it felt. This isn't anything new, it has happened before in the Crimgan debut episode remember Iris used her connection to Kibago to try and find him and Crimgan in the forest? The animators and drawings just went out of their way to make it look pretty this time. It's not really meant to be anything big really, just like Dento's Sweet Scene mind-scape in order to find Momochii's Pokemon. It's sort of like that, nothing that is visible to the characters in the show but marks a sort of realization.

No, this wasn't similar at all to what Iris did before... it's simply NOT the same thing...

No, this wasn't similar at all to what Iris did before... it's simply NOT the same thing...
How is it not the same thing? It's "reading the Dragon's heart" and understanding its feelings and how it felt. Again, she did the same exact thing while being in such long proximity from Kibago back in the Crimgan episode. The writers just made it visual this time because they wanted it be to shown to the viewers. Iris has always been able to do that, we just didn't get a nifty flashback and external scene to show it. Understanding a Dragon's heart is something she learned to do and is aspiring to do, so it's hardly out of no where.

I still think it's completely different, she touched it and just got to SEE its flashbacks, or at least so it seemed to me... and that's simply not something she did before
But I think maybe we better stop it now since we'll just continue to repeat ourselves

I still think it's completely different, she touched it and just got to SEE its flashbacks, or at least so it seemed to me... and that's simply not something she did before
But I think maybe we better stop it now since we'll just continue to repeat ourselves

yeah and it's ...weird. Seriously, there was light when she touched him and she saw its flashbacks....lol =]

=> BTW, how did Iris manage to enter the air vent..she has such big hair O_O....Dent couldn't enter >.>
=> WTF with the camera in the middle of nowhere ?
=> Karyu rocks! Did you see that face ? priceless. He's a freak Oo

1343401524-vlcsnap-2012-07-27-18h53m37s226.png
1343401126-vlcsnap-2012-07-27-18h53m20s58.png

=> They (writers) shouldn't have given that Kairyu to Iris. He's too strong...... He battles only powerful Pokémon, He can stand the attacks of four pokémon while he's wounded.... Plus, these four Pokémon belong to the most powerful trainers of the town... Kairyu has Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunder Punch....He's a pseudo-legendary fully-evolved Pokémon (Kanto) (--').
..., What Else ? =]

=> But It was cute when Kairyu wanted Iris to catch Him (at the end).
=> And it wasn't a bad episode :)

Last edited:
hahaha i Loled at this episode ^^ did i just see a tsundere kairyu? (yes i'm starting to like japanese names better because english version of gen IV + V screwed up their naming sense so badly) But YEAHHHHH!!! Kairyu FTW!!! we finally get to see Iris get a dragon pokemon - kinda expected her to get a Monozu in the previous episodes but now it brings her dragon count to 2....great for a dragon master right?

Well i loved Kairyu in this episode - just too awesome and very OP but it doesnt matter that much seeing as they introduced people who had caught legendaries before - such as that tacto guy who won the sinnnou league. prediction is that Dragonite will win the Junior Cup sooo now i guess it's probably dent's turn to catch something ( i was hoping for a ligray or some other psychic type but the choice has really opened up seeing as its no longer Gen V exclusive.

I have this feeling that Dragonite was caught by Iris because Axew won't evolve any time so this is their excuse.

Anyway, this episode was...Ok I guess. The scene with Cilan was funny, Iris had some development I guess, Piplup and Oshawott aren't annoying this time and the last Team Rocket scene with that music was great.

The only things I didn't like was Dragonite laying there for mostly 10 minutes and the people didn't heal it or anything. And Meloetta needs to go away, fast.

I didn't sympathize with Iris at all during this episode. You want to know who I sympathized with. Jenny the fucking antagonist. Now you may be thinking "Alpha the Iris hater is at it again but really cheering for Jenny because you don't like Iris". Except you can throw that out because the reason I sympathize with jenny is I'm a imperialist. Yes I confess I sympathize with the authority figure because I have outdated philosophies. But the thing is they gave me plenty of reason to sympathize with joy. First she's older and has more life experience second THE ACTUAL CONTENT OF THE BLOODY EPISODE. Iris assumes Dragonite is not evil because it's a dragon type despite meeting bad pokemon before and thing is WE KNOW IRIS IS WRONG BECAUSE WE SAW HYDREIGON WAS ATTACKING IT. But let's assume that Hydreigon had good reason for attacking dragonite: that would make dragonite a dick. See the problem here? Second Jenny gave Iris a chance and she considered catching it both would stop dragonite peacefully but Iris' technique didn't fucking work so being as they need the power plant for the pokemon center as we seen before it perfectly rational to attack Dragonite. "But Dragonite was hurt!" Yes it was BUT people beat up and capture pokemon all the time and Dragonite took on those Magnemite and it was perfectly fine and would be fine if Iris didn't interfere. Also if it was captured by Jenny that would make it Jenny's pokemon that means it would be easy to take it to take to the pokemon center she wasn't trying to kill. And I don't care if dragonite was there by it's own accord or not it was there and needed to be dealt with for the sake of the pokemon at the center. Also Jenny getting a powerful Dragonite would be good for the city cause the law enforcement would be more powerful so why Iris? why? So she could catch it and kick everyone's but in the tourney.

Bottom line this capture wasn't deserved because Iris was in the wrong and now her team is more powerful just fucking great.

Last edited:
You know, with this dragonite's behaviour in mind, i accidentally read the title as 'Iris and the Redneck Kairyu!' Now i can never get this mental image out of my head. Dragonite the Redneck. You know, this would explain why he and Hydreigon were fighting to begin with. They probably drank up a few more pints than necessary and things got out of hand.

I can totally see this dragonite saying, "Iris, hurry the hell up and get me another beer, and make it cold this time, bitch!" And not have any problems with it. XD

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom