• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW089: Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Please read about the new, immediate rule changes regarding negative posts if you haven't already!!

Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Ken'ichi Nishida
Assistant director - Ken'ichi Nishida
Animation director - Izumi Shimura

While Satoshi and his friends are making morning preparations at Shirona’s villa, the town is struck by a power outage. Junsa, who comes to visit, tells them that the Dragon Pokemon Kairyuu is the source of the outage, but Iris opposes this story and seeks an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderpunch, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Unknown move...OMG BASEDGOD!!!!!!

Why Kairyu chose to go with Iris even puzzles Lil B - Lil B

This Team Rocket plot seems to be interesting! At least regarding the BGM.

Although I am not fond at all of Kairyu as a Pokémon I liked this one. Its grumpiness in particular was fun to see. Maybe it can together with Iris be annoyed and grumpy all the time whenever Iris drifts into her PMS mood. Would be fun to me.

This episode had its flaws though. A random camera at a tree in the middle of nowhere? A terribly harsh Junsa who attacks a Pokémon which clearly is hurt without considering catching it ( and maybe releasing it later)? Dent can't fit into that air vent when he's thin as a bean-stalk already and not bulkier than Satoshi? Hikari being there without doing much? Of course another Pochama & Mijumaru screentime hogger? Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.

But I really liked the BGM during the TR scene. Wasn't that from the BW1 intro?

How...convenient.

That about sums up my thoughts while I watched the episode. Which is not to say it's a bad one, I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Lol at Junsa-san allowing a bunch of kids to try to stop a rampaging dragon. Nothing new, though adults in this show can be quite weird sometimes.

Last edited:
Despite all my complaining about this whole Dragonite thing, I have to say I totally loved this Drago - its facial expressions just were so funny to me XD especially when Meloetta started singing and it looked at it like "wtf?!" XDDD and it had many other funny expressions during the ep
Yeah... that's pretty much all I have to say... oh no, I'll also say Dawn should throw away her hat and hair clips, she was so beautiful without them early in the ep <3

Good episode. I love Kairyu's personality and how it was annoyed with even Meloetta. XD A great example of how you don't need words to express emotions. Iris was really awesome, especially when she was defending it.

Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.

She's done that before with Kibago.

So the Dragonite is a time flower?

My biggest complaint with this episode - why did no one attempt to heal Dragonite's obvious wound? Pull out a Super Potion, feed/rub on some berries, a bag of ice, something to do something to actually help the Pokemon. Stop worrying about whether it is at fault or not and just do something to help it!

There was kinda a massive disconnect with the whole surveillance footage thing - they had to manually go look for a physical camera, yet the PokePad was able to both appear out of nowhere and have the footage on it? If you have whole of town survellance, how about the police look at that first in trying to determine what happened. And even then, so what if the Dragonite went on a rampage for a reason or not - just help the damn thing get over its injuries - what are the police going to do, fine Dragonite for the damage?

Meloetta calming things down is getting tiring - I hope Team Rocket succeed in stealing it if every episode from now on is going to engineer an angry Pokemon so it can calm something down. Can Ash just catch it already so it can be ignored like the rest of his reserves?

Speaking of Ash and not speaking of Dawn - they had idiotic Pokemon choices again just to further an already stretched plot point with Oshawott and Piplup. If a massive Dragonite is out of control, I'd send out the biggest Pokemon I had (string shot from Leavanny would have made a lot of sense) - not the cute mascot Pokemon.

Positives of course include Dragonite's personality and inherent humour - it's going to be hard to make me dislike Dragonite as a Pokemon, but where there's a will there's a way.

Did Iris' answer to Dawn shed any new detail on what it means to be a Dragon Master?

Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.

She's done that before with Kibago.

Maybe I've skipped too much of BW season 1 and missed this. ^^;
I share Kairyu's annoyed reaction towards Meloetta. Was she really necessary in this episode? Kairyu's facial expression really made this episode for me.

My biggest complaint with this episode - why did no one attempt to heal Dragonite's obvious wound? Pull out a Super Potion, feed/rub on some berries, a bag of ice, something to do something to actually help the Pokemon. Stop worrying about whether it is at fault or not and just do something to help it!

Maybe the potion, berries, and bag are unavailable? They're in a power plant. I doubt those things could be easily found there. Iris probably left her stuff too. At least she did try to help Dragonite, and they did get it to the Pokemon Center.

So the Dragonite is a time flower?

I thought of this, then I realized none of them were carrying their backpacks, and Iris usually relies on natural remedies, which aren't really available inside buildings.

I thought of this, then I realized none of them were carrying their backpacks, and Iris usually relies on natural remedies, which aren't really available inside buildings.
I'm sure Iris has a tree worth of berries in her hair. Regardless, they came and left more than enough times to try and organise something (that's certainly what I thought they were doing when they went out to the forest - not look for a surveillance camera) - just calling Nurse Joy even.

Even with nothing - hack away at the ice Dragonite made and use Ash's jacket or something. It's hard to portray Iris as caring about Dragonite more than anyone else while making no attempt to heal it whatsoever. They are trainers - I hate that they are shown as not being prepared for that sort of thing.

Maybe I've skipped too much of BW season 1 and missed this. ^^;

I don't think you missed anything, it simply wasn't the same, what happened in that ep... at least as far as I can remember it...
We never saw before Iris touch a Pokémon and see visions of its flashbacks
So it IS first time this thing happened... I wouldn't go into my opinions about it and just think about Drago's facial expressions to make me laugh instead of rage

I share Kairyu's annoyed reaction towards Meloetta. Was she really necessary in this episode? Kairyu's facial expression really made this episode for me.

QFT

So, it took Iris 89 episodes to get a dragon-type Pokémon that wasn't Axew...and she caught a freaking DRAGONITE?!

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

That wild Hydreigon sure is powerful for taking down a Dragonite that was able to stand up to numerous attacks from Piplup, Oshawott, and four other pokemon. I hope we get to see that Hydreigon again in the future.

On another note, what made that Dragonite decide to get caught by Iris? It looked like Dragonite was about to fly off on its own near the end until it was convinced to become Iris's pokemon at the last minute. It didn't feel like that Dragonite warmed up to Iris in this episode. All Iris did for Dragonite was defending it from getting attacked by other pokemon, which didn't make that much of a difference because it still got attacked anyway. Iris didn't even get to heal the damn thing.

Wow, that hydreigon was such an a$$. Triple hyper beam?

Anyway, not a great episode in my book. Jenny borrows a magnemite to Ash. Iris got the grumpy dragonite (I can say I liked that dragonite, but, I just don't like Iris at all :p). Yeah, writers, now, enjoy the mood and give Ash a metagross, lucario, flygon and grumpig and I'll be fine with you. :B

Nothing very interesting beside the TR plot going on, anyway.

Last edited:
I was also going "What is up with the Hydreigon?" It was only here to cause injury to the Dragonite. Why were they fighting? Just because? They are wild pokemon, I could understand that. Also scratch Ferrothorn off the list of pokes as well. So, Iris has the Vulcan mind meld now. I don't like where this is going, with it being able to endure so many attacks at once, even while weakened. It is a pseudo legend, but I don't think they've been portrayed as being that strong before. At least we know that it has it's limits. As much as I don't like the idea of giving a character something this powerful, I can't say that Iris did not earn it. I still question how she has skills like this, but Dragonite did respect her in the end. I would normally hope this would mean we truly get to see how difficult it is to harness the savage power of Dragon pokemon, but things don't seem to indicate that is the case, at least not yet.

Normally, I'd be angered that Iris has caught a fully evolved Pokemon (Dragonite). However, I realised that in the past, Ash has obtained Primeape, Muk, and Noctowl, Misty has obtained Gyarados, and Dawn has obtained Togekiss, so what the hey.

I'd rather have seen Iris trying to figure out what made Dragonite go insane, trying to cure it of its injuries, or trying to defend it with one of her Pokémon when everyone was attacking it than seeing her touching it, releasing her mystical powers and discovering everything through a flashback. I mean, really? Iris can already be considered a Dragon Master; she can understand everything that goes on in the life of a Dragon type only touching it. For the first time ever, the goal of a main cast character was accomplished.

And I'm starting to get tired of Meloetta, I hope it does something productive in the climax of the Team Rocket plot, because seeing it sing in every episode to calm down a Pokémon was cool at first, but is no longer interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom