• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW093(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

I'm already seeing it all now in front of my eyes. Iris will reach the final, kick Dawn's ass, proceed to Alder, beat him, become the new champion of the Unova region and go to Elesa's hairdresser to change her hair to her BW2 one. Doing all of this while she can't even control her Pokemon's strength.

The fact that I, a fan, can see the writers pulling something like this or even similar to it as a possibility is scary.

I actually would love to call you wrong, crazy, sarcastic...but right now I just don't know. If the writers want to make Iris Champion or even close to it, they very well can. No matter how shitty it is and that just sucks.

I actually would love to call myself wrong, crazy and sarcastic too. I'm hoping that Georgia calls out on Iris' bullshit again in the first round. Iris doesn't deserve to sweep an entire tournament with a Pokemon that she:

A) Just received
B) Hasn't trained yet
C) Can't even control

The fact that I'm not even going to be surprised if it does really happen is a sign of how bad Iris' writing really is.

From the parts of BW089 that we've seen, Dragonite seems like an angry and disturbed Pokemon, so maybe it's fair that she can't control it knowing that it seems like a rough Pokemon
Maybe for the Dragonite capture, but the actual tournament? That makes it even cheaper and more bullshit. How would you feel if somebody beat you in an important tournament with a Pokemon they can't even control?

I wouldn't be so sure about that XD According to that scan Iris can't control D-Nite's strength. Looks like Dragonite is the NEW Charizard, this makes me happy. Battling against Dawn and Mamoswine, Iris will probably learn about how Mamoswine was disobedient and Mamoswine will go on to beat Dragonite.
Type logic is reversed this saga. Fire beats Water. Water beats Grass. Grass beats Fire. In this case, Dragon beats Ice.

Dragonite will win without her orders against Langley so I can see Langley calling Iris out on that. I'm actually a lot more okay with Dragonite now. It doesn't give a fuck about what she says, thus that win against Georgia didn't mean shit. XD

Thus it won't close the rivalry since it wasn't a "true" win. Georgia will be all "YOU CANNOT CONTROL YOUR DRAGONITE!!"
At least this gives me some relief since it would make Iris look like shit instead of good with the undeserved win.

Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

From this, Iris wins against Georgia, and if she can beat the Dragon Buster, then she can beat Dragonite's predecessor as well. This had better mean that Drayden pwns Iris later, that's all I have to say. Furthermore, no old pokes for Ash. I assume they're waiting for the next saga, or the panorama was just for it's own sake. Time wasted, I might as well simply wait and see if they are going to bring the reserves back later.

*puts down sign cheering for Georgia, and puts one up cheering for Dawn*

Go, Dawn and Mamoswine!!! Kick Dragonite's ass! By the way, is Iris using Dragonite this whole tournament? I hope not because that would definitely be cheap of her. Also, lol @ Burgundy with Darmanitan. I hope she goes against Trip and wins.

No Stephan or Bianca in this tournament, good because their gags kinda cluttered up time. Even though I actually like Stephan and Bianca. Georgia, Burgundy, and Trip are the only rival appearances and the "NEW" rival.

I wish the 2Chan members would post the scans, since they are always exciting to look at :p

Dawn had better win this.

Mamoswine is fucking awesome and I want to see that thing win.

Dawn actually trained Swinub until he become a Mamoswine, not catching it as a Mamoswine, she has bond with it too... so I am supporting Dawn this battle... SHE MUST WIN!!!!

Like i said in some other thread, its obvious what are writers trying to do in here. THey are slowly(ok scratch that rapdlky) and surely trying to build up Iris rteam and strength to required degree to be able to become new BW champion in relatively short period of tim, following her game counterpart and chances which happened in game canon. This also explains such knowledge about dragons from start, being portrayed as prodigy trainer which was beating older and more experienced trainers before Ash even dreamed of starting out his poke journey.

Fact that Iris Dragonite will battle Dawn Mamoswine shows how Langley was pretty much destroyed in first battle, regardless of type advantage and im starting to think how it my not be so much impossible anymore that she even beats Dawn progressing directly to finals.

Hopefully not,but at same time i can understand writers and pressure under which they are put with champion role being too big for them to ignore. Champions are always big deal and they are trying their best to make this changes transfer to anime as soon as possible regardless of character suffering from such sort of development. I guess this shows Axew will be overshadowed by large dragon too, fulfilling fears i had from start.

Oh well.

If Iris beats Dawn in this tournament, then my fears of seeing Iris in the next Smash Bros. will be coming true because her beating the most popular pokegirl in the series will give Iris a gateway ticket to be the female trainer/champion rep.

Dawn isn't most popular pokemon girl in this series(Piplup though is more popular in Japan than all girls combined), Misty and May are just as much popular. In USA and Europe arguably even more.

Dawn isn't most popular pokemon girl in this series(Piplup though is more popular in Japan than all girls combined), Misty and May are just as much popular. In USA and Europe arguably even more.

Where exactly did you get this information regarding Misty and May, especially on the latter since her chances are currently unlikely until the R/S/E remakes drop in? I was told by Dawn~Berlitz that Dawn's the most popular in Japan.

Oh god, I am actually cheering for Dawn for this one.

Unlike Dawn Vs. May, this one actually has Dawn with plenty of experience and Mamoswine is a beast. Dawn really needs to win this and Iris really needs to lose with her Dragonite.

Where exactly did you get this information regarding Misty and May, especially on the latter since her chances are currently unlikely until the R/S/E remakes drop in? I was told by Dawn~Berlitz that Dawn's the most popular in Japan.

Im not sure what RS remakes have to do with anything, but outside of Japan Misty and May always had equally strong if not even stronger following than Dawn did with there being more fan arts about them, bigger demand for return, a lot more talk and controversy, having more votes in polls etc.

As for Japan unless there is some proof to support such claims, i can't view statement from one of members as factual info. Even if its true, my point still stands about Dawn not being more popular than other girls outside of Japan.

On different note, at least one good thing about whole thing is that Dragonite wont be obedient from start causing to Iris problems like Ash Charizard and Dawn Mamoswine to lesser extent did. It will still feel cheap though to come that far with newly caught pokemon which wont even listen for that matter.

Though i could see some further bonding happening between girls with Dawn helping Iris how to handle Dragonite, since she experienced same problem too.

Last edited:

I reckon that either:

Dragonite starts to obey Iris and they beat Dawn
or
Dragonite doesn't obey Iris and loses as a result.

Both of them are pretty typical Pokémon-ish things to do.

To the other news:

Burgundy has Darmanitan: Pretty good, I love Darmanitan, but Stephan would have been better with it. Hopefully it won't get wiped like...every one of Burgundy's battles. I hope that we see her Samurott too.

Trip has Serperior: Yes, WE KNOW WE KNOW! Don't tell us the obvious!

Zebstrika and Cincinno are appearing: *cough cough*Stephan and Bianca*cough cough*. I'm quite pleased to see these two, especially given that Zebstrika is Stephan's main Pokémon. I hope to see Cincinno winning something.

Yannapu vs Dentula: PLEAAAAASE make it Trip's, it's the perfect mon for him. We also see one later, so hopefully it will win. I doubt that it's a CotD, especially given that, as we see it later, it may well have won.

Ash uses Leavanny: Yes, I love you people! Hopefully in we'll see X-Scissor/Leaf Blade/Leaf Storm, I'm assuming that that's what the whole thing's for.

The other Pokémon: Don't actually make me go meh for once. Reniculus is cool as long as it doesn't get killed off quickly. Golett might just just just be Luke's, I'll hope for the best. I wouldn't be too surprised, given how much evolved shiz they have in here, why put in a random Golett. Swasbuck and Stoutland *cough cough* Burgundy *cough cough* I hope. Mainly because that might mean more than just 1 on 1s, especially if they're both her's. I can't believe that Burgundy could get past the second round of a tourney. Karrablast is a bit of a WTF.

*Comes from work, goes on computer and looks at new episode spoiler*

What the hell is this crap?! Dragonite actually got passed Georgia? Just like that? Where is the struggle, the reasonabilty?! And again we have Dragonite facing yet again another ice type. Two troubled/used to be troubled pokemon facing each other. I hope a disobediant rampage happens to stir things up. That would be fun. But seriously, does Iris really do have to battle Dawn? No. I don't want to see another Wallace Cup nightmare and have Iris win against her. That would be just ugh!

Payback.

Seriously, fuck Iris.

I believe Dawn will win this for a number of reasons:

- Iris and Dragonite will probably curbstomp Georgia and whoever she battles in the second round (I assume this is the third round)

- Dawn is the guest character of the region. Having her lose in the tournament early would make her background material for the rest of the tournament. I think Dawn will make it to the semi-finals at the least.

- Mamoswine is a very powerful Pokemon, and it only seems fitting that after Dragonite beat a previous ice type to lose to this one

- I still think Trip will win the entire thing, not Iris, because she has no reason to battle Adeku. If Cynthia or Drayden were the prize I'd think differently, but I don't see Iris winning.

Everyone complains about how cheap it is for Iris to use a newly caught Dragonite. I think the bigger problem with the writing is that she's willingly using a disobedient Pokémon in a tournament, when she could be using Excadrill instead (which is a better choice against Beartic and Mamoswine). It's also inconsistent in that she was afraid to send Excadrill out back when it had obedience problems.

- Iris and Dragonite will probably curbstomp Georgia and whoever she battles in the second round (I assume this is the third round)

- Dawn is the guest character of the region. Having her lose in the tournament early would make her background material for the rest of the tournament. I think Dawn will make it to the semi-finals at the least.
The third round is the semi-finals. But this episode is more likely to finish the second round.

Last edited:

Oh my God, I've just had a horrible thought; Dawn had similar obedience problems with her Mamoswine - what if she helps Iris in making Dragonite obey her before this battle and ends up sealing her own fate? (Ash had the same problems with Charizard, but that was so long ago)

I've been a bit iffy with Dawn in the past, and I don't think she has any business in getting so far in this tournament, what with her being a Coordinator and all, but someone has to stop Iris in her tracks.

Either way I see Dawn winning. The writers also already had Iris win the first Don battle tournament, there is no need for this one.

Saying this, I feel Dawn will probably wind up losing to Trip or something afterward. Not that Trip is any better, but meh.

Well, there goes the Iris/Langley rivalry. :-/ Oh, writers, you are so laughably bad with Iris it's not even funny.
I'm rooting for Hikari, Cabernet, or Shooti for this tourney.

Trip really has no reason to battle Alder, either. I mean, if he was itching for it so badly or really wanted to put Alder in his place, you'd think he'd have done so during Alder's debut, but instead he just walked away. And even if they do battle, I'm not seeing what this will do to even remotely redeem Trip's character or even make him the slightest bit interesting. Still, I do agree this is likely what the writers are gearing up for if they aren't going to have Iris take the whole tournament by storm. By this point I believe this whole thing will go either to Trip or Iris, and both have the weakest justifications for winning this (or even getting past round one).

Unless I missed a detail from the last "Iris has to deal with Ice-type Pokemon oh noez" episode, I wonder if it's a coincidence that 2 of her known battles are against Ice-types. So that this tournament would also officially put an end to any issues Iris has about facing Ice-types (unless that episode already did that). Especially because type logic is ass-backwards in this series, if Beartic couldn't take down Dragonite (and Georgia was portrayed to be relatively well-trained and focuses on battles, unlike Dawn who, despite the copious amount of training and battling tournaments she's partaken in, is primarily a Coordinator and that's probably a disadvantage here), I don't see how Mamoswine can, either.

Only way I see Dawn winning this is if Dragonite self-destructs. She obviously gets one win in this tournament to be facing Iris, so the writers may think that's enough for her and just feed her to the increasingly-destructive monstrosity that calls itself Iris' story. And like myself and others said before, I can totally see Dawn going out of her way to help Iris with the disobedience thing because she specifically has dealt with it before with Mamoswine.

And like I also said before, they wouldn't give Iris TWO power-ups (Axew also learned Giga Impact!) and not abuse them here. Though I'm curious if this is a one-Pokemon or multiple-Pokemon sort of deal. I highly doubt Dawn would be using Mamoswine for the entire damn thing (that's screentime entitled to Piplup, so the writers would say!). So if multiple Pokemon are allowed, that makes Iris using Dragonite more than once a bothersome detail in of itself.

ffffffuck everything about this

Only way I see Dawn winning this is if Dragonite self-destructs. She obviously gets one win in this tournament to be facing Iris, so the writers may think that's enough for her and just feed her to the increasingly-destructive monstrosity that calls itself Iris' story. And like myself and others said before, I can totally see Dawn going out of her way to help Iris with the disobedience thing because she specifically has dealt with it before with Mamoswine.

Mamoswine is pretty powerful. They'll probably be shown to be evenly matched.

IF this is only the second round of the tournament, Dawn will very likely win. They're not going to bring Dawn back to have her lose early in a tournament and become background material. Promotion doesn't work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom