• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW091: Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW91 - Power Battle! Iris vs Hikari!!!"

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shōji Yonemura
Storyboard - Kazuomi Koga
Assistant director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation director - Kunihiko Natsume

The Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup continues! Satoshi, Iris, Dent, Shooty and Hikari have all passed through the first round and look to make it through the second. With Iris facing Hikari, will her disobeying Kairyu be able to overpower Mammoo?

Lame lamer lamest! ohhhhh! How disappointed am I!? the only good thing is Dragon rush-rage animation!?
the way Dragonite handels Ice type moves, : shame : ! XD I really don't get how Krokorok should defeat it! Krokorok isn't that strong!

This is so rushed! ANd how easy did Shooti won against Cilan! :double Shame:

There were only a few good things about this episode. The greatest had to be all the Langley/Cabernet interaction. The other was Maggyo finally winning a battle. Too bad it was only for like one second... The rest I didn't much care for.

Pretty enjoyable episode dispite the pacing problems but what got me confused was the soundtrack, 2 of the same soundtracks got repeated more then once and i realised how the music side of the show has dropped since sinnoh. :|

As usual the interaction between Burgundy and Georgia made this episode- their faces also summarise most of my views on this episode.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Dragonite keeps being unnecessarily powerful - though flipping Mamoswine and the Dragon Rush were great. Dragonite's win was believable - Dragonite got in some powerful and effective attacks to win, but I can't get passed thinking how little Iris did in the battle to shape her win. At least this week she didn't gloat about it.

I can't understand why so many of these battles start out with using Hidden Power - sure it gives the animators a chance to overuse those ball attacks - but it makes no sense, they don't ever do any obvious damage and it just takes up time in the battle. Do we even know what type any of these Hidden Powers are? Should we assume green ball = grass?

Something I found odd was the screen showing highlights of the Don Battle - did they get that footage off Luke, or was his role in that tournament redundant by everything being filmed regardless? If so - why doesn't Trip just replay the videos of the matches instead of taking photos? It just furthers the disconnect with this tournament, the characters are supposed to be important enough that they do research on their titles, get archival footage of them battling, etc - but every COTD fell in one shot (well I suppose the battles are theoretically longer), which hardly sets a strong standard of the tournament as a whole.

The other question is over the order of sending Pokemon out - ignoring the fact that every type advantage so far has lost - is that whoever sends their Pokemon out second is at a natural advantage, and there seems to be nothing like a coin toss or randomising to avoid that.

Attachments

• 24207657.jpg
    24207657.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,946
  • 23530800.jpg
    23530800.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,976
  • 23265708.jpg
    23265708.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,913
-Boldore had a battle. Great, really pleased that he can battle and doesn't have to win by evolution
-Stunkfish won. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Finally
-Crustle lost.
-FRENZY PLANT?! I was really surprised by that.
-I didn't actually watch the episode so I don't know how long the battles actually were, but I'm guessing the CoTD ones were short.
-I'm so happy that Cilan made it past Round 2, just because he never has.
-Apparently Dragonite's battle exceeded expectations.

So Cynthia is actually the one to help Iris with Dragonite. I wonder what was up with that scene between Cynthia and Trip.

I honestly don't care that Dragonite destroyed another Ice type since I know that it will eventually lose, it's Serperior's defeat of another Fire type and then a Bug type that's annoying me a little bit now. Screw Deux Eu Dragona, this is Deux Eu Serpenta...

If Serperior had Aqua Tail by then the battles would have been easier to stomach, but Frenzy Plant? Really? He really is a Paul clone!

Truly this here was the most glorious moment of the episode (it doesn't matter just how brief it was):

BUWj4.jpg
From that as well as Dent making it to the semi-finals, my lack of interest with this arc perked up a bit.

The banter between Cabernet and Langley was brilliant, the expressions those girls made just added to it.

I am glad Dent used Iwapalace in the semis as using his toughest battler helped built up Jalorda's strength.

Judging only by the images from Filb, it seems like Dragonite still is disobeying Iris. Can someone confirm that?

I really, really hope that's the case.

The stuff with Cynthia seemed to just calm Dragonite down - she seemed to just be giving a 'humans are friends with Pokemon' talk to calm down it's anger.

Dragonite didn't seem to do anything Iris asked, but the battle ended when Dragonite seemed to respond to Iris' warning about the ice it was collecting from Mamoswine's tusks - which resulted in it going up to the sunlight, the ice melting and then the winning Dragon Rush. So in a way it was starting to acknowledge Iris towards the end, which means it might start obeying a bit more next battle based on the small amount of trust you could infer from how the battle ended.

There's certainly some difference between the first battle and this one - Dragonite wasn't going out of control, it was just being stubborn.

At least that's how I see it.

There were only a few good things about this episode. The greatest had to be all the Langley/Cabernet interaction. The other was Maggyo finally winning a battle. Too bad it was only for like one second... The rest I didn't much care for.

The Mamoswine Vs. Dragonite battle was still fairly entertaining even with Dawn's loss. That Dragonite is an unstoppable beast. If I was 10 years old I'd probably think its the best thing ever, but as an adult it really is just poor writing to give a main character an overpowered pokemon that apparently can resist 4x ice attacks. OH WELL.

Surprising Dawn had no real reaction to her loss. It really does feel like she's just a background character in this tournament rather than being the star of her cameo arc. Even most of this tournament focuses on all the other characters over her.

Wow so it seems Trip redeemed himself against Cilan and against the pokemon he lost to in the first tournament. AWESOME!!!!! This was how Trip was supposed to curbstomp Cilan the first time around. Anyway i thought Dawn and her Mamoswine would last a bit more against Dragonite. Anyway now i can take Trip winning this tournament now that he beat Cilan, at least take it much easier now. Can't wait till these episodes are dubbed eh, so i can understand them a bit more.

Judging only by the images from Filb, it seems like Dragonite still is disobeying Iris. Can someone confirm that?

I really, really hope that's the case.
Yes. Or at least I think so, I'm not that fluent in Japanese, but I definitely heard them say "Not listening" a couple of times.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom