• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW093: The Junior Cup of Farewells and Meetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh, you just made perfect sense. How did Bianca beat him? By using his own power against him. He is so focused on power that he doesn't expect someone to withstand his attacks or even outmaneuver them. This guy really is a noob, although not in the sense that we thought him to be. True, he is pragmatic, but he lacks the experience to know that battles are more than that.

First off, I love you profile pic and Samurott is my favorite Unova Starter Pokemon. Thanks, if anything I think that Trip is somewhat but not quite what I expect Max to be as a 10-year-old trainer. Remember Conway from DP Series? Well, I've said repeatedly that he is basically the carbon copy of Max from the "future" and that the writers probably did that for fans to get that battle that Ash promised Max when he first became a trainer. Since the anime isn't really aging certain characters that match would probably never happen.

Also remember that nearly each time Conway was defeated he would lose by a move improvised by his opponent like Gible biting Shadow Punch, Grimer using Poison Gas to deflect its own Sludge attack that was deflected by Venonat's Psychic during his practice match with Dawn at the Camping mini-arc. Like Max, he knows stuff by the book and the fundamentals of battle to come up with unique strategies.

Now the reason for me digging up DP information is to support my case with Trip; he is similar to both Max and Conway in that he has advanced strategies for a rookie trainer. Remember in episode 10 when he literally raped Ash's team of 5 Pokemon at the time? Tranquill and Frillish had amazing strategies put into place and he uses his Pokemon's abilities to his advantage like Paul did in his battles.

Though he has those strategies in place, he has lost based on the fact that his opponents come up with tactics that are improvised like Bianca who I think is the best example. By stealing the pillars to take out Conkeldurr (I think Emboar used a cheap variation of Thief but it can't learn the move so I'll just move on...) was something I'm sure that Trip never expected and cost him the match.

To me I think those losses further effected his notions about power because even though he never admitted it when drawing with Ash in their third battle or losing to Bianca he probably thought about how even with the best strategies there is always room for an upset. Just look at the way he had Bianca on the ropes, blocking her attacks foiling her all or nothing style of battle in an attempt to overwhelm his opponent. Then going on the offensive literally keeping Emboar from doing anything and it being tired left it wide open to be finished off with Stone Edge, but then the battle turning against him had to effect him in someway.

So, I probably expect something to happen like this in his battle with Alder.

I am rather surprised nobody posted the summary translation:
Dephender said:
"The Junior Cup, Site of Partings and Encounters!"

"Shootie, the winner of the Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup, has been granted his long-desired right to battle Isshu Region Champion Adeku. Adeku sends out Buffron, and Shootie answers with Jalorda. Wanting to prove his strength to Adeku, Shootie has throughly prepared himself by studying up on Buffron in advance. As a true champion, however, Adeku takes everything Shootie dishes out."

Based on this description, I'm guessing that he studied the possibilities of Sap Sipper being used against him, but if that's the case why use a Grass type?

And "As a true champion, however, Alder takes everything Trip dishes out."; guess this means that he will take the match seriously and it makes sense that his Pokemon would be able to take even the strongest moves that Trip can deliver. Wonder if Buffron's Afro will be used to lower the damage from attacks like against Pikachu...

Kind of reminds me of how Cynthia's Garchomp used its fins to block attacks, but either way I can't wait to see what happens in the end.

One more thought; its cool that Trip studied up on Buffron, but what if Alder decided to use another Pokemon instead?? Oh well, looks like he got lucky considering that is the only Pokemon that he has ever seen him using before for that matter.

I hope this the last achievement of Trip life !
Because I wanna see him getting humiliated in a worst way possible for the rest of the series!
I remember how Ash got his ass kick by a ordinary kid in a grass pokemon Tournament because of his overconfident!
But in Trip's case , Writer give him the whole tournament!
NOW THAT WHAT YOU CALL FAVORITISM!!!
So what Alder gonna kick Trip's ass !
There nothing humiliating about a E4 Champion or a experience trainer kicking a arrogant rookie's Ass !
But its billion time humiliating for a experience trainer like Ash to get his butt kick by a rookie 3 time in a row !!!
What ? for a lame Backstory !
Okay then , If that lame backstory is sooooo important then when will writer reveal the relation between Ash & Sliver!
Or Ash's connection with Hoho, Suicune and Aura!
Or the Mystery of GS Ball!
Writer doesn't even touch them!
I'm fully convince that Writer just hate Ash and that's why he humiliate Ash !

Last edited:
Because I wanna see him getting humiliated in a worst way possible for the rest of the series!

You know he's probably going to appear for, like, 10 more episodes or I-dunno-how-much-time-there-is-until-the-league-ends, right

Okay then , If that lame backstory is sooooo important then when will writer reveal the relation between Ash & Sliver!
Or Ash's connection with Hoho, Suicune and Aura!
Or the Mystery of GS Ball!

Silver- No connection at all. He BARELY EXISTS. The only time he ever appeared was in The Legend of Thunder's opening.
Ho-oh- Ash has a kind heart, Ho-oh appears to those who have a kind heart, there
Suicune- ...No connection.
Aura- Ash controls aura. That's it.
GS Ball- It was a Celebi.

I'm fully convince that Writer just hate Ash and that's why he humiliate Ash !

...I'm pretty sure if they did he wouldn't be the protagonist of the show

Well, I said it because I noticed something that every single one of his pokes have in common, but you have to look at their movesets to realize it. Indeed, like Paul, he does know how to implement strategy, but unlike Paul, where he can use Ash's tactics against him, his strategy has a common theme: making his own pokes as powerful as they can be. Serperior has Leer to reduce Def, making his attacks more powerful. (although it shouldn't have done that for Solarbeam, a Special move) Tranquill has Super Luck, which increases crits. His most impressive strategy is with Frillish, who has the Cursed Body ability, which will block physical moves used on it, making YOU unable to attack, and it also has Water Pulse to confuse and Hex to work off confusion (although yet again, I don't think that's how that move works. It's supposed to double on actual status ailments like Burn, Freeze, Sleep, etc.) The rest of his pokes, we know little about in terms of abilities, but they could potentially become strong pokemon. If I remember, his tactic with Conkeldurr was to make it so the opponent CAN'T dodge him. So, perhaps he does have some cleverness to him, but it is plain that power is his main focus.

You know he's probably going to appear for, like, 10 more episodes or I-dunno-how-much-time-there-is-until-the-league-ends, right
Then Trip better be humiliated in that 10 episode!
Silver- No connection at all. He BARELY EXISTS. The only time he ever appeared was in The Legend of Thunder's opening.
I'm talking about another Silver who appear in the side-story episode alone with Richie!
He implied to know Ash but nobody knows how!
He could be Ash's father or Ash's idol.
...I'm pretty sure if they did he wouldn't be the protagonist of the show
Nobody told them to keep Ash for 15 year!
People just want Ash to have his best Journey & he achieve his goal !
But Instate writer keep him in order to humiliate him.
The Junior Cup is enough to prove writer hate for Ash!
Writer wouldn't delay Unova League for a Tournament that Ash can't win unless they hate him.
If writer love him then they would create a Major individual Tournament for Ash.
If Writer love him then they would have make up for all his humiliation.
But instate they make up for Trip's humiliation.
And Now , Even Winning Unova League won't make up for losing to a rookie 3 times in a row.
Although, We wouldn't know if Ash gonna win the league since writer hate him.

Well, I said it because I noticed something that every single one of his pokes have in common, but you have to look at their movesets to realize it. Indeed, like Paul, he does know how to implement strategy, but unlike Paul, where he can use Ash's tactics against him, his strategy has a common theme: making his own pokes as powerful as they can be. Serperior has Leer to reduce Def, making his attacks more powerful. (although it shouldn't have done that for Solarbeam, a Special move) Tranquill has Super Luck, which increases crits. His most impressive strategy is with Frillish, who has the Cursed Body ability, which will block physical moves used on it, making YOU unable to attack, and it also has Water Pulse to confuse and Hex to work off confusion (although yet again, I don't think that's how that move works. It's supposed to double on actual status ailments like Burn, Freeze, Sleep, etc.) The rest of his pokes, we know little about in terms of abilities, but they could potentially become strong pokemon. If I remember, his tactic with Conkeldurr was to make it so the opponent CAN'T dodge him. So, perhaps he does have some cleverness to him, but it is plain that power is his main focus.

Yeah, he does like to use status boosting moves like Tranquill's Work Up and Double Team, Conkeldurr's Bulk Up to name a few. In terms of Serperior it uses Leer to lower its opponents stats to launch powerful attacks.

I know that whole thing about Leer ticked me off, it would have been better to have had it learned Glare instead. I don't think its impossible to knockout Darmanitan with a powerful attack regardless of type since it has a low defensive status (well in the game anyway) I have knocked one out in the Battle Subway before with Leaf Storm or Solarbeam in one hit while it was at full health because my Grass type had a high Sp. Attack power.

Hex doesn't do double damage on a confused target, but for the sake of the battle I guess they wanted to display the move at its maximum potential in the show.

Paul did use Counter Shield against Ash in the league and the only small hint of Trip showing Ash his own medicine was Tepig vs. Vanillite when he mentioned that he was going to beat Ash at his own game (which was to use a Pokemon with a clear disadvantage), but when the match ended in a draw he said that the style didn't work for him. Which is obvious considering that (and I'm stealing Dawn's words here) Ash is Ash and that's that.

Yeah, like Cheren from the games power is his main focus in training and battle. If anything I think his constant Pokemon evolutions are evidence of that. He says evolving Pokemon is basic stuff which it is, but in their lower evolution forms Pokemon can learn powerful moves more quickly in the games at least...but I think the main reason that Ash loses to him is because he just does stupid things and plays the same strategy as last time like Attract not thinking that Trip could counter it.

So, I'm guessing that Trip sends out Serperior first and Ash is about to send out a Pokemon with an actual advantage only for Pikachu to probably say "PIKA!" and Ash looks down realizing that Pikachu wants to beat its "rival" considering that Pikachu had its butt handed to him twice by the beginner Pokemon...

Well in the movies it beat a Serperior but since its the movies I don't think I should compare it to the show.

I'm kind of disappointed that Alder is using Bouffalant again, I was hoping we'd maybe see him use a Volcorona. We've seen a lot of Afro Bull already, Alder should have let it take an Afro Break.

I'm kind of disappointed that Alder is using Bouffalant again, I was hoping we'd maybe see him use a Volcorona. We've seen a lot of Afro Bull already, Alder should have let it take an Afro Break.

Instead Alder is going to Head Charge into a flawless and easy victory against Trip, unless he decides to laze around like he previously didwith Ash.

I said however that Alder isn't going to not take that match seriously for the whole battle, maybe toy with Trip a bit beofre One Shotting his best Pokemon.

Instead Alder is going to Head Charge into a flawless and easy victory against Trip, unless he decides to laze around like he previously didwith Ash.

I said however that Alder isn't going to not take that match seriously for the whole battle, maybe toy with Trip a bit beofre One Shotting his best Pokemon.

That would be one of the most disappointing ways to end the tournament not saying that the entire thing hasn't been a disappointment so far. I'm hoping from both Trip and Alder that we actually see 4 moves per side just for the sake of knowing and not having a match that's 30 seconds.

This is pretty much the closest thing in terms of plot that we have seen by Trip and that is to battle Alder, I'm hoping that the writers actually do a good job this time. If they do I could careless if the next time we see Trip and its at the league that Ash beats him good, finally...

It would be interesting for Serperior to know Coil for the sake of Trip's Pokemon usually knowing status boosting moves. Probably Alder's Bouffalant knows Megahorn but we've seen before the slick and tricky movements a Serperior can use like a real snake so I'm hoping that Trip uses that to his advantage.

Shooti wins the whole thing and gets to battle Adeku. Predictable outcome was predictable, but I actually think this episode has a great premise. Shooti's entire approach to Pokémon battling and training is based on what he perceived Adeku was telling him, that is that strength is everything and trainers must always strive to be stronger, which couldn't be further from Adeku's real philosophy which is that he wants his battles to make people love Pokémon. The latter part is why I find it strange to see people think that Adeku will one-shot Shooti or that the battle will go very fast. I think Adeku is going to drag this out a bit, not because Shooti is so strong or because Adeku couldn't one-shot him, but rather because he wants to teach Shooti, and the audience, to love Pokémon through the battle. That it should be about having fun with your friends, pushing each other to the fullest and have fun through it all. I'm glad the writers are fleshing out Shooti's character during this tournament because it'll make his inevitable battle against Satoshi in the League have more depth and more tension.

The farewell in the title seems to indicate a separation, so it most likely means that Hikari will be leaving during this episode. I'm kinda indifferent to it. Hikari's character was great in DP, but her cameo is average so far. At times, she seems to be her DP self, like in BW086, where she was jellin' with Satoshi, had hilarious interactions with Dento and just seemed herself, but at other times, she just felt like she was there to be Iris' puppet and make the latter look good at the expense of her own character. I think they could have done so much more with her character and Pokémon and showed really a sense of progress and purpose in her journey, but it didn't happen. I wouldn't mind her staying, but I don't really mind her leaving either, she's kinda just there at the moment rather than really being worked into the story and have a purpose for being there, but on the off chance she's staying, I'd like the writers to be more purposeful with her inclusion and see less of the "Iris is god and I'm so helpless and dumb in the face of her magnificence" Hikari.

Meetings? Wonder what that's about. New rival? Someone getting an egg or a new Pokémon? Something to do with the Meloetta/TR arc?

I reckon that meetings must be a new rival.

I think that farewells could be:

Trip-he leaves to train by himself after losing to Alder
Dawn-she leaves as she came to Unova to do Junior Cup.
or
Alder-who goes to journey Unova and leaves the Champion place vacant for Ash and N to battle it out

or
Alder-who goes to journey Unova and leaves the Champion place vacant for Ash and N to battle it out

I can't see Alder leaving an vacancies opened to trainers who need more experience to be able to be champion. And Iris just won't cut it for me yet. She needs more work too.

I'm leaning more towards Dawn since she probably won't have anything to do after this is over. No contests are here, so why not?

I'm still not convinced Trip will leave just because of one battle with Alder. If he was collecting badges, why not go to the league anyway to get stronger? Why stop at battling with him just one on one. I was hoping the new rival was going to be close to the league then here. So I'm guessing maybe later.

Last edited:
I really do not like how Trip wins the tournament, considering that Ash has lost EVERY single tournament to date, even in Unova, I just feel like Ash isn't accomplishing anything at all.

or

Wouldn't it be epic and make sense if it was N than? I'd love it if N was Ash's rival for Best Wishes 3.
FYI With Team Rocket ending maybe this year with no real warnings I can actually see Ash winning the league, it would have been better had he won last series since he was more of a pro in that series but I guess they feel with him loosing all these tournaments this would be the best way >>

I don't really want it to be N, given that he only had temporary teams which would lead to lack of developement and Ash could never beat his legendary, unless he got one himself (which I doubt). I'd prefer it to be Hugh or someone completely unexpected

I really do not like how Trip wins the tournament, considering that Ash has lost EVERY single tournament to date, even in Unova, I just feel like Ash isn't accomplishing anything at all.

I didn't like how Iris and Kenyan won theirs either but I'm not going to complain anymore. What's done is done.

I wish Trip will just lost to Alder and go back home where he came from.

I didn't like how Iris and Kenyan won theirs either but I'm not going to complain anymore. What's done is done.

Actually, I was fine with Iris winning in the first tournament, though I didn't think Stephan should have won the second tournament, either way, I just feel like they should let Ash accomplish SOMETHING in Unova, as to date, the only thing he has really done significant is get 8 gym badges, other than that, everything that has happened to Ash in BW is pretty much a joke when compared to his DP self.

With him losing three tournaments in a row, Ash doesn't seem like he is trying this season, and given that the league is coming within the next few months or so, we all know what that means, that would be four losses in a row, and as we all know, four is death.

And in those three tournaments, he made it to the finals twice and made it to the semi-finals once. Him getting into the semi-finals in the Clubsplosion with Scraggy(i.e his weakest mon) was impressive. Getting a high place in these tournaments is an accomplishment itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom