• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW095: Pokémon Nursery School Uproar! Washibon and Valchai!

This episode was basically on par with the fillers in Johto, in fact, it pretty much played out exactly like a typical Johto filler would.

Ash and co meet a one-dimensional character with a problem with her pokemon, there are no major battles in the episode, and aside from TR not showing up to capture it like they would in Johto, the rest had, "typical Johto filler formula" written all over it.

But it served its purpose in giving these two birds their debuts after so long.

I found this ep, to be cute if nothing else. Sure, it didn't really do anything we haven't seen before, but on the other hand, I don't think it really did anything wrong.

I did however, appreciate all the "new" music.

The premise of this episode was not completely bad, but I felt that it was not expansive enough to stretch out to a good twenty minutes. If there any good elements of this episode at all, it would be that Scraggy's Focus Blast subplot was resolved here (even though we've had evidence that Scraggy had already mastered the move back in BW088), and that we got to see some pokemon that had only appeared once or twice in the anime so far yet again.

The real problem that I had with this episode was that it focused too much on Layla's relationship with Vullaby and Rufflet rather than the entire Pokemon nursery school situation as a whole. The main reason why Vullaby ran away from the nursery school in the first place was because she tried to help Layla calm down the other pokemon that were fighting one another because Layla's food was too hard for them to chew. Layla's decision to recklessly give hard, solid food to very young pokemon escalated the "rivalry" that the two bird pokemon had, which in turn put almost everybody else on the main cast in danger as the other pokemon were caught in the middle of everything and used their own attacks to defend themselves. Nothing ever resolved from Layla's inexperience with taking care of young pokemon or the principal being confident enough in the girl's "abilities" to leave everything on her own. The events in this entire episode might have been avoided if the principal didn't leave.

I also appreciated Ash and Iris staying out of the spotlight for once during this season. I liked seeing Cilan try to help Layla out with the pokemon nursery school, even if it was only to give her advice on why Vullaby acted the way she did.

This episode was below-average, but I did not expect much out of this filler episode other than debuting these two bird pokemon so it all played out in the end. The final two minutes of the episode set up the events for the next two episodes, and we got to see Giovanni in the flesh ever since that incident from March 2011. My review for next week's episode will be much longer because there will be a lot more events unfolding.

Wow, this episode was uneventful and kinda boring. There's nothing really to say. Not badly written, not really anything to pick apart other than it was just really uneventful and it's a shame the writers really held back on Dent's craziness and entertainment value.

The episode itself was pretty "meh", but my god Vullaby and Rufflet were just utterly adorable.

After wacthing the episode, I came to a conclution that it was a pretty good episode beside all the hearp it geting from views.

To sum this episode up in song: *singing* It's boring, boring, very very BORING!!!~

Even for a filler episode, it's a standard filler episode at that, and easily one of the most boring this season, the CoTD was incredibly uninteresting and forgettable in every sense, and the running gag that came with her was also pretty boring (and got old pretty quick). As many above have said, this episode feels like a Johto filler, and I certainly agree, it had no sense of entertainment in it whatsoever, no interesting events occurring (save for the ending scene), no NOTHING, it was just flat out BORING.

I think the Giovanni scene at the end could have been made into a sub-plot going throughout the episode rather than squeezing it in the end, as it was the only good part of the episode, better yet, they should have made it an entire episode of it's own. Luckily, next week starts the big Team Rocket episodes, so that will (hopefully) make up for what the last 4-5 episodes (including this one) have been. This episode receives a 2/10 from me, the writers KNOW they can write better episodes than this...

On the upside though, Rufflet and Vullaby were cute, even if their debut episode was rather boring...

@Musashi; kept urging me to watch the episode for the final scene, so I decided not to wait for the dub. The scene wasn't bad, although I think the TRio and their cool base were the best part of that scene. You can just sense the maliciousness coming from them. Sakaki's Persian looked a little derpy to me, though...

I actually really liked this episode. Sure, it wasn't anything memorable, but it was cute. The birds had great personality and it was fun seeing them clash. It was great seeing Meloetta actually do something beyond fawning over Satoshi, but why did she reveal herself to Layla when she was singing? Can she not sing when she's invisible? I mean, music coming from nowhere would raise some eyebrows and her voice is pretty recognizable, but Meloetta's a legendary Pokemon who's wanted by Team Rocket. But I guess Meloetta just felt that she was ready to reveal herself.

I'm going to agree with everyone on the lack of battling. I suppose a double battle between Zuruggu and and Pikachu against the babby birds would have been predictable, but I was hoping for it. At least no battle is better than Team Rocket randomly coming in, breaking the flow of the episode, and giving the twerps a piss-poor battle like they used to do.

One more thing: when Dent, the birds and Layla were walking on that tree-bridge, those inconvenient gusts of wind from BW018 returned. And like that ep, it caused the birds to fall off a cliff, leading Layla to dive and rescue him. I like how Satoshi didn't even try to save them like Arti did for him in BW018. But I guess Satoshi didn't have Hahakomori or Kenhallow on him.

The scenes with Cilan and that girl is cute I love the part where she trips and Cilan starts rubbing her on the back and helps her up. Sounds like a shipping between her and Cilan. Cilan also caught her too.

Karamazov said:
The scene wasn't bad, although I think the TRio and their cool base were the best part of that scene. You can just sense the maliciousness coming from them.

Meh, it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before. Just the trio hanging out in a submarine, listening to Meloetta's song for the millionth time since the start of Season 2.

I'm kind of surprised we didn't get a shot of the trio in the underwater temple since that's what they were doing the last time we saw them.

Clumsiness by itself is not a joke even with a good set up it barely a joke. As a clumsy person this offends me what did someone's got tea spilled on their crotch.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom