• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW097: The Reijuu Formes Advance! Isshu's Greatest Crisis!!

Best thing about the Trio going back to Kanto... Sonasu reunion!!!*

*Even if it occurs off-screen.

As an episode of Best Wishes!, this was one of the best ones. The legendary pokemon got to shine, the battles were all exciting, the animation was gorgeous, we got a bit of Kairyuu development which I honestly wasn't expecting...other than the weird part in the second act where that ice was coming down (WTF, so the Kami trio is Kyurem now?) this episode was one of the better ones of the series. It would have been nice to see this extended into a three-parter - we could have seen more of how Sakaki's actions are affecting the Isshu region, Meloetta's farwell wouldn't have been so rushed, those Rocket grunts wouldn't have been forgotten about, etc. - but it still managed to be somewhat decent.

As a "Farewell, Rocket-Dan" episode, though, this was a fucking disaster. So what, Sakaki just up and goes "alright everyone, back to Kanto" out of nowhere, and then that's it? That's how they decided to have the Rocket-Dan exit the show? I admit I had low expectations for this but my god I never expected them to bungle things up this badly. When we were all giving theories about how this two-parter would end, we were all saying things like "the Rocket-Dan's going to disband" or "Sakaki's going to die" because those were the theories that made the most sense given the way this thing was advertised. Nobody guessed that everyone would just hop on a plane and go home because that would have been the most boring prediction to make. And yet that's exactly what the hell happened.

That's just terrible, even for this show.

Musashi said:
The montage was just to help kids decide which Pokemon to call.

Nope.

As a "Farewell, Rocket-Dan" episode, though, this was a fucking disaster. So what, Sakaki just up and goes "alright everyone, back to Kanto" out of nowhere, and then that's it? That's how they decided to have the Rocket-Dan exit the show?
But what makes you think this was their farewell? Tentative preview wording? The ending montage, despite the promise of an eventual return? The episode should speak for itself, and not only did the organization not disband, but at least Jessie and James are still interested in Pikachu.

Been a while since I'vd posted but I loved the episode, good action scenes and animation Ash and Pikachu were freakin boss and wow did Iris and Dragonite have a little moment here? Meh. Flashbacks of the old Team Rocket made me cry a little, I hope this means they'll return back the comical selfs and chase after Pikachu again, since they are back in Kanto again I havee a feeling they'll try and steal Pikachu again when Ash returns home or follow after him some thing like that. Over all yah, an enjoyable episode in my opinion ^

Silktree said:
But what makes you think this was their farewell?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/bw96-meloetta-undersea-temple-138328/index2.html#post4297057

They made a poster declaring this as the Rocket-Dan's farewell and told us "not to miss the Rocket-Dan's final battle." Why would they have done that if this was just another Rocket two-parter?

despite the promise of an eventual return

Dogasu said:
"We'll definitely be back!"

...says Satoshi to just about every COTD, ever.

Declarations that "we'll be back!" don't mean shit in this show.

I don't think this was Team Rocket's last episode. I believe that we will have a break from them until the Unova League. Our Rocket appearances from now on will be from the Radio and from the Live Caster. But then they will return to capture Pikachu, with some of their old Pokémon! (If that thing about Dustox, Wobbuffet and Mime Jr. is true)

If we consider this two-parter as the end of Team Rocket, then it is an absolute crap (though I don't consider it the end, which means this isn't crap), as we had no closure.

But if we consider this the beginning of a new Rocket age (being this the last Unova (i.e. serious) Rocket mission), then it was very good, as JJM did something BIG, "facing" Giovanni and "saving" everyone, which shows that they still have some sense of individuality (I don't think Cassidy, Buffy, Dr. Zager, Domino - those "standard" Team Rocket members - would ever do this, as opposed to JJM, who have always been unique, even though they are also loyal to Giovanni). As the first mission with Giovanni actively participating, it was good.

Nobody guessed that everyone would just hop on a plane and go home because that would have been the most boring prediction to make
*Team Rocket died on the way to their home region.

But then they will return to capture Pikachu, with some of their old Pokémon! (If that thing about Dustox, Wobbuffet and Mime Jr. is true)

Er, Dustox is long gone. The old Pokemon was just being used for another phoneline contest.

as JJM did something BIG, "facing" Giovanni and "saving" everyone, which shows that they still have some sense of individuality (I don't think Cassidy, Buffy, Dr. Zager, Domino - those "standard" Team Rocket members - would ever do this.

OK, stop right there. Cassidy, Boppo, and Zager I'd give you (heck, Zager flat-out showed he was unable to do it here), but Domino was far from a "standard" member as she was not only at Giovanni's right hand, but she talked back to him more than once and questioned his plans. So, given her loyalty to the boss yet prone to acting disagreeably toward him, it's highly likely she'd do the same in JJM's situation.

But nothing is perfect in this world because Seger survived all of it....damn.

What is with the pre-BW TR fans' hatred for Zager? He didn't make TR serious; they were like that for episodes before meeting him! All he's done is be a superior officer to them, which is hardly unprecedented or offensive. If he died, what would be accomplished? TR would still be serious, since again, they were like that before Zager came along. Zager getting killed isn't gonna snap them out of some sort of trance.

Last edited:
They made a poster declaring this as the Rocket-Dan's farewell and told us "not to miss the Rocket-Dan's final battle." Why would they have done that if this was just another Rocket two-parter?
To fuel speculation and boost ratings. Besides, Pokémon Smash just recently said that the radio show was ending, which we now know was a blatant misdirection. At least in this case the wording "Farewell? Team Rocket" was ambiguous.

It is also entirely possible that Team Rocket's return won't involve another "final battle" like this one.

Dogasu said:
Declarations that "we'll be back!" don't mean shit in this show.
So needlessly hinting at a return is acceptable, but falsely indicating a permanent departure isn't?

Last edited:
Not surprised by the anti climactic ending. Considering it's BW(2) I knew that 80% of the advertisement had to be bullshitting.

The organization will still live on through the radio. Even if they never returned to the anime there will still be that every week. So I don't think anyone needs to be upset about this being the "end". We still get to hear their wacky hijinks every week.

What I do find odd is how they haven't addressed this at all on Twitter. Though with Isshu and Kanto being so far apart, I can understand them not having good net coverage between the two.

Wowww..... :) just one word isnt enough to speak of this episode... it just really really awsome except for a few minor errors.. And my post in the preview thread of this episode is 100% true... ""End of meloetta and not TR...""
Review:
First hats off to writers for this brilliant ep so far in BW series.. Then its really nice to see Giovanni becoming power hungry trying to destroy unova region.. Secondly Pikachu's humongous Electro ball is freaking deadly one... The battle between the Kami trio and the characters pokemon is also good to watch.. i meant i watched the ep twice since i liked it very much... Bonding b/w Iris and Dragonite also looked nice except for the fact i think its been copied from Ash and Charizard bonding(after being def by poliwrath in orange league eps)... leaving that aside nice farewell to meloetta(we had enough singing from meloetta)... going home with its protector Larry is good for meloetta instead hanging around Ash & co.. Let legendary be legendary not blushing around a trainer(ASH) who is still in search of his destiny and goal.. The Trio saving Giovanni out of loyalty really needs to be credited :)
Something i felt,,, where is meowth-went missing for 2/3 part of episode(TR must complaint to Officer Jenny ,, seriously).. next why the temple became submerged into sea could have been explained more(pardon me.. since i dont know japanese i dint understand that part)..
Other than that this is the best ep i have seen after DP series,, could have been a 3 parter elaborating some minor details and END OF TR("" A SERIOUS JOKE"")
The writers showing their potential that they can be the best but yet to reach their pinnacle(just need to be polished)....
On the whole am waiting for more of BW S-2 to be like this.. ""THE BEST""

So like I was saying many times, main characters have never been written off in the MIDDLE of a generation. They are clearly writing TR out now only because the upcoming episodes focus on preparing for the league and we don't need to see them in the next few weeks.

I suspect 2013 will see the return of TR and Giovanni. It's quite possible after Unova there will be a TR plot in Kanto as well as a Champion league.

What I do find odd is how they haven't addressed this at all on Twitter.
Yes, it is odd. But I guess they just want to keep us in anticipation of what they'd do next. Radio should give us all answers.

I don't believe that this is the end for the TRio. They wouldn't pull off such a bullshit to characters that were here for 15 years. Heh, I'm not even sure if it's the organisation's end since Team Rocket didn't disband, they just come back to the state they were during AG/DP. So I'm gonna say - it's the end of BW Rockets. Some time will pass by until the next gen, kids forget and poof! they come back and stalk twerps again xD Come on, that Musashi and Kojiro's last conversation just screamed for "Ok, let's start chasing Pikachu like in the old times!". Not to mention that Kojiro hoped for it in the radio too.

And just because Satoshi never keeps his promises, it doesn't mean that everyone else on this show is the same :p

I don't believe that this is the end for the TRio. They wouldn't pull off such a bullshit to characters that were here for 15 years. Heh, I'm not even sure if it's the organisation's end since Team Rocket didn't disband, they just come back to the state they were during AG/DP. So I'm gonna say - it's the end of BW Rockets. Some time will pass by until the next gen, kids forget and poof! they come back and stalk twerps again xD Come on, that Musashi and Kojiro's last conversation just screamed for "Ok, let's start chasing Pikachu like in the old times!". Not to mention that Kojiro hoped for it in the radio too.

Uh, no. Jessie/James/Meowth went BACK TO KANTO with Giovanni! They didn't stay in Unova, which would have been different. We also know from the upcoming episodes that they're likely not in any episodes leading up to the Unova league.

Also remember TR went back to catching wild Pokemon in early Unova too after they went back to white uniforms, but they were handled the same as serious Team Rocket. Most likely the "real" TR finale will take place closer to the end of this generation, maybe even in Kanto, the region that started it all. TR are definitely not appearing in every episode again, this episode made it clear the exact opposite is happening.

Uh, no. Jessie/James/Meowth went BACK TO KANTO with Giovanni! They didn't stay in Unova, which would have been different. We also know from the upcoming episodes that they're likely not in any episodes leading up to the Unova league.
Umm... I know? When did I say otherwise? O__O;

Umm... I know? When did I say otherwise? O__O;

I am just saying, the fact that they're likely not going to be in any episodes for the rest of 2012 proves already that the writers aren't reverting them to appearing in every episode again. If we see them at all it'll be 1-2 minute scenes at TR HQ's in Kanto or something.

In 2013 we'll probably see them again, but I do think the real TR finale will be in Kanto. Characters have never been written off in the middle of a generation, which is why I kinda knew this wasn't going to be the end of them. We're likely going to see another Giovanni plot sometime in the summer of 2013 I bet.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom