• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW098:P The Most Magnificent Pokémon in the World!? Chillaccino VS Tsutarja!

This is why we need more comedic Iris episodes. I loved how much she got into the spirit of being a snobby princess, her noblewoman's laugh was priceless.

I still think they could have gone with the set-up, of Ash-Cilan-Iris...rather than Iris-Cilan-Iris. I know this episode was about Iris getting her "revenge" and Ash didn't really seem to give a fuck about this whole name calling thing, but Iris could have still battled the leader of the troupe without taking Ash's place. After all, all three members of the troupe battled.

And I noticed that heavyset shoplady that they were talking to before they cross-dress, I seem to recognize her as a recycled character somewhere. I wish I knew which episodes she appeared in.

Those women at the girls' club were just snobby jerks but my friends and I think Iris deserves it we hate her. That episode is funny!!! I loved the picnic scene it's nice seeing Cilan eating a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich for a change instead of the usual meat and vegetable sandwiches he makes. I loved how Oshawott cleaned his teeth after eating. The mudpit was funny but I'm pretty upset we didn't get to see Cilan take a shower. They leave Cynthia's villa so their no longer under her supervision. I have a feeling they might change the opening and the ending will change next week since Team Rocket and Meloetta are gone.

Really funny episode. I enjoyed it throughout. Those laughs from Iris and the gang was totally priceless xD

I just remembered this, but to anyone with actual Japanese-speaking skills, did Satoshi tell Dent that he looked good near the end? XD I think I heard him say niatteru sou or something along those lines :p

I still think they could have gone with the set-up, of Ash-Cilan-Iris...rather than Iris-Cilan-Iris. I know this episode was about Iris getting her "revenge" and Ash didn't really seem to give a fuck about this whole name calling thing, but Iris could have still battled the leader of the troupe without taking Ash's place. After all, all three members of the troupe battled.

In this series Ash hasn't been concerned about any name calling since the beginning. He doesn't get all hyped and angry like he used to. Atleast in DP there was a different type of anger shown from him. But now it seems like he doesn't give a damn about anything. I would even expect him to smile happly even if he was to lose top 16 again.:drowsy:

Normally, I'm all for the high and haughty oujo-type with their brilliant trademark laugh but this entire episode just bugged me. I'm fine with Iris having a beef with Maya and those girls but my problem, like most episodes that center around her is that to make her situation work, Ash (and to a lesser extent, Cilan) needs to be forcefully sidelined and made as eerily silent/ineffectual as possible.

Since I'm sure there would've been some strong frowns if he and Snivy were the ones to do battle with Miss haughty Alpha female at the expense of Iris (who had the beef) then why not grab the bull the horn and title what the story really is about than give (me) false hopes about some legit Snivy focus?

Yeah, that's why I'm so admittedly upset, came in for sole Snivy gratification (with an Ash achievement on the side) and got majorly gimped...

So once again Cilan is made the fall guy while Iris takes the glory. Ash didn't do much either. Also I'm quite sick of Emolga never losing a battle. She either wins or the battle gets called off for one reason or another. I would like her to lose for once. But yeah, just another Iris glorification episode pretty much. Because we aren't going to get a bunch coming up or anything so we needed this </sarcasm>

Besides all that, Cilan and Pansage were adorable <3

So once again Cilan is made the fall guy while Iris takes the glory. Ash didn't do much either. Also I'm quite sick of Emolga never losing a battle. She either wins or the battle gets called off for one reason or another. I would like her to lose for once. But yeah, just another Iris glorification episode pretty much. Because we aren't going to get a bunch coming up or anything so we needed this </sarcasm>

They did the same type of thing with Dawn in DP, its basically the writers usually allowing the female characters to do better than males when it isn't an Ash-centric tournament.

So once again Cilan is made the fall guy while Iris takes the glory. Ash didn't do much either. Also I'm quite sick of Emolga never losing a battle. She either wins or the battle gets called off for one reason or another. I would like her to lose for once. But yeah, just another Iris glorification episode pretty much. Because we aren't going to get a bunch coming up or anything so we needed this <sarcasm>.

Writers logic. "Emolga has only had two battles this entire series, so let's have it's first battle in like 50 episodes be a win" Lolololololol. No really, that's probably exactly their reasoning...however shallow it may be.

I wasn't really bothered by Emolga winning since I figured it would. But taking Ash's spot to use Snivy was pretty nonsensical. They could have still had Ash battle with Snivy against that first chick, and allow Iris to beat Maya. It was an Iris focus episode, yes...but really have her use her OWN Pokemon to star with.

I'm pretty convinced at this point the writers are just in love with Iris. XD

Last edited:
So once again Cilan is made the fall guy while Iris takes the glory.
"Once again?" That's not fair, there have been plenty of times where Iris had set out episodes and events while Dento had taken the limelight. He battled the Subway Masters while she was sidelined, he's gonna be battling and winning next week, helping the twins out with his Fishing Sommelier skills, he also battled against Araragi-Hakase while Satoshi's Gantle was the fall guy, same thing with Yanappu VS. Baoppu and Mijumaru VS. Baoppu, Iris didn't contribute to the resolution of the Hitomoshi episode, he played a pretty good role in solving a lot of probs in the first movie episode, you get the picture. I just don't see the problem because there are and have been a lot of times where Iris was sidelined and did nothing.

Also I'm quite sick of Emolga never losing a battle. She either wins or the battle gets called off for one reason or another. I would like her to lose for once.
Yanappu battles vastly more than Emonga, in fact all of Dento's Pokemon tend to get more battles and wins than Iris' Pokemon. Yanappu has won a great amount of battles and lost some, he has more wins under his belt than Emonga. Whose only battles have been two training battles, which were both called off, and against Dageki. Iwaperesu is a famous example of a Pokemon that never lost up until Dento went against Fuuro and came up short against Shooti, again, I don't see the problem when Emonga has only had one "true" battle in BW. :/

But yeah, just another Iris glorification episode pretty much. Because we aren't going to get a bunch coming up or anything so we needed this </sarcasm>
I don't see how, this isn't something we haven't seen in the past. We know from her interactions with Suwama, Cabernet, and Langley that Iris is a very gutsy trainer who gets mad whenever anyone talks bad about her or Pokemon. She was just doing what she thought was right and we've seen that from many characters in that show, I guess those instances count as "glorification" since that word these days seems to have a negative connotation attached to it. Iris wasn't being highly praised this episode or worshiped as if she was God, she just stepped up to teach Maya a lesson and that's that. No one in the episode was all "OMG IRIS IS THE BEST THING EVA!!1111" it was just her being her. Dento and Satoshi thought she was pretty off her rocker half the time.

-Iris, that girl was tenacious this episode. I really enjoyed what I saw from her and her attitude toward Maya and her clique. The way Maya starts the episode off by shit-talking Emonga and Tsutarja and how furious she gets at her as well as the way she shows concern over Emonga were good moments for her, Maya immediately reminded me of one of those typical MTV-watching ball buster-type girls. The wild child's noblewoman's laugh almost had me in stitches at some points in the episodes. I really like how she got into the spirit of things and was pretty nonchalant toward the troupe's idol behavior status and got Dento and Satoshi in on things, kicking those prima donna's butts and teaching the alpha female, Maya, a lesson gave this episode spark. It takes a lot to stand up to a bully, especially when they have their crew behind them. I give Iris props for doing what she did because she's a hotblooded trainer who gets angry when anyone talks shit about her or her Pokemon and this episode showed that. Nice foreshadowing of Souryuu City at the beginning of the episode.

-Satoshi and Dento, I love the moments these two had. Satoshi's smirks and typical masculine mannerisms contrasting so well with being dressed like a girl were hilarity and showed me something that I wish we saw more of out of Satoshi when he crossdresses. Dento executing feminine hand commanding signals was funny as well as his moments when commanding Yanappu-Chan. I wonder why they used "Satomi" instead of "Satoko". Seemed like a weird change since that's what they did in Kanto. I guess they'll use something other than "Ashley" in the English Dub, I'm predicting "Sasha" or "Natasha".

-Yanappu-Chan and Pikachu-Chan, I'm glad to see that both of them were able to leave that place with their man cards intact. I felt bad for poor Yanappu especially, who simply looked beside himself on what to do half the time what with being dressed as a girl. You can tell he's really out of his element, because he's kicking ass next episode. I was more excited for Cross-Dressing Pikachu than any human crossdressing. XD

-Emonga, she kicked ass. I like how she used her flying as an advantage toward the earth-bound Pokemon girls through her bouts of strength did we see her succeed. It sucks she couldn't knock out with Roserade with a Volt Change, that is her signature move and obviously Iris was gonna use Mero-mero, so she opted for Hidden Power and Discharge throughout the battle. Though I would have loved to see her learn Acrobat, but otherwise it was an enjoyable battle. Her noble woman's laugh alongside Iris and Tsutarja at the end. "Emomomomomo!", gave me Tamaki/Usagi vibes.

-Tsutarja, way to be a head bitch in charge. During her balance beam bout, I liked how saw her pull of a judo throw in order to send Chillacino sailing toward that pool of vile nastiness. I really liked the way that she went up against Chillacino in battle. I liked the strategy with using Vine Whip to snatch Tail Sweeper in midair and then the other one with using Leaf Storm to mess up Chillacino's scarf/fur/tail so she couldn't clean herself after cannon balling into that cesspool. She once again shows how much of a badass she can be when she wants to and did more than a good job of putting that snob in her place. Only thing that could have made it better is if she learned herself a new move.

-Music, I noticed some pieces of new music. I'm guessing from the BW2 games, either I'm slow to the race or those were just added. Props to the music director.

-Maya and her gang manage to be entertaining enough for one episode as C(s)OTD, I realize being a neat freak is a tendency all members of the Chillarmy line have, but still I like the way Chillacino vacuumed herself up after Tsutarja threw her in the mud. Maya's snooty passive-aggressive bitchy behavior was great and she easily got what she deserved at the end of the episode. Mizuki was good and Shion had a pretty deep voice for a girl imo. Also, yay for older Pokemon appearing. It's BW2, so an older Pokemon is welcomed, especially one I like such as Roserade. They came off as Maya's pets at some points in the episode, but it just highlighted how they hide behind someone popular and how shallow they are. I wouldn't mind seeing Ms.most-likely-watches-lifetime-and-MTV-all-day appear again.

Moral of today's episode? Don't fuck with Iris.....or she will completely wreck your shit....and laugh in your face about it five-seconds later. :p

Last edited:
This episode is one sick joke .... Ash's pokemon arent getting along well and he is denied a chance to use his pokemon to battle.. come on guys.. Iris is one of main char in BW series.. But that doesnt mean Ash shouldnt be given chance to battle using his pokes.. quite frustrating tat Iris battled Maya nd gang out of "rage"..
This ep is just a rehearsal Of Iris battling skills before the final test shows up in the next weeks to come.. Ash,Cilan,Pikachu,Pansage no one was feeling good.. I dont hate Iris but this ep just makes me feel that she is to be sidelined for another 10 eps.. In BW2 she has got more importance than others which is good that the anime wants to introduce new blood but no one can take out Ash and Pikachu..

I liked the episode. I thought it was legit funny, which is more than I can say for the past few attempts at humor.

Aside from the battles in the second half, the episode was quite boring.
But it was nice to see Emonga battling again.

And I am starting to agree with who thinks Mijumaru is annoying. That scene in the beginning of the episode was utterly stupid.

Anyone noctice something different about the intro?

You mean when the logo showed up?
Yeah! I was just letting the intro pass while doodling a little so I didn't think about the volume. The song's the same, I thought. No surprise sound-effects, I thought.
Then suddenly there was this "CHIIIIIIING!" sound when the logo flashed on the screen and I nearly fell down from my chair.

Why do they always add those sound-effects after a few times?! It's cruel :C

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom