• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW099: The Tag Battle of the Sky and the Earth!

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
The Tag Battle of the Sky and the Earth!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shōji Yonemura
Storyboard - Kazuomi Koga
Assistant director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation director - Kunihiko Natsume

So he did scan pokemons he already owns.... oh well.

Would have been very bad episode without Dent.

I usually overate episodes, but i simply cannot do it this time, i haven't seen an episode this boring in sometime, the plot was weak, and half of the episode was wasted by 2 fools imitating team rockets motto and The music was ear gouging at best. I simply cannot stand the best wishes soundtrack anymore, i really hope tpci replaces the entire score and ash dexing buizel and corphish.. Why??? i know it's for the younger audience, but still...

2/10

Cilan saved this episode from being a disaster.

Last edited:

He was the one who identified them, though. xP The writers just wanted him to scan them for the kids' sake.

Overall, a really good episode! Ash and Dento were such ninjas, I loved them. And the battle was freakin' awesome, probably a tie with Ash & Brock's battle against TR when it comes to the best Tag Battle ever.

Last edited:
The writers just wanted him to scan them for the kids' sake.
All the more reason to give a Pokedex to the COTDs - or at least have them or Iris ask what's that and have him show them specifically - they've done that in a few episodes and one line of dialogue makes Ash look far smarter than having him scan a Pokemon he owns. At the end Ash also had a chance to assure Cilan that they were good Pokemon for them to catch by mentioning his own, but it sounded to me like he didn't even do that.

I also don't like how Ash seemed to be stunned by the combination moves - they really should have figured something out with Unfezant and Pansage, instead of Unfezant just being used to make Pansage's Solar Beam airborne without any real combination to it.

Still, no point reading anything in to this episode, I suppose it's good that Cilan actually used his connoisseur skills for once - though both of them catching water Pokemon doesn't seem like a good way of making multiple unique combinations.

After 3 awesome episodes (The Rocket-2 Parter and the Crossdressing episode), we get this episode.

Oh well, guess it's better then nothing. Atleast we had some really cool Unfezant screentime, a really good battle and a Subway Masters cameo.

But...I really didn't like the characters. They really irritated me.

Atleast they won't come back.

Also come to think of it - Cilan was the only one with a male voice actor today, not counting Pokémon.

Well, unfortanly without another traveling partner with a pokedex, this is what happens. :( The only reason that this rarely happened in AG and DP because the girls would have scanned the pokemon that ash seen..

And dang I missed the episode, just have to wait till it's dubbed then.

Did I hear that right, Dent is their super aniki? XD

The battle was visually impressive, definitely one of the best we've had in a while. The second half of the episode was pretty dull though, I don't know how them catching two water types is supposed to improve their combinations, but whatever. Seemed like Dent just wanted an excuse to whip out his rod.

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode. The whole thing did start to get a little annoying though, especially the Subway Master's loss part. I mean, seriously? However, the tag battle was not that bad, but I was hoping for Yanappu/Ken to get a new move, but whatever.

The last scene, where they spotted Swanna and Gamagaru, I thought there would be more than just those two wild Pokemon appearing and Dent thinking about the twins.

Stating the obvious... Dento! <3

I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would from the preview! The battle was entertaining to watch, as was Dent and Satoshi learning to battle together the same way, though I wish they had been more creative than just copying the twins. Also still disappointed that Stunfisk and Palpitoad weren't used here....would have been a great opportunity to see them shine :<

And apparently Dent's sparkles are ~contageous~

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode. The whole thing did start to get a little annoying though, especially the Subway Master's loss part. I mean, seriously? However, the tag battle was not that bad, but I was hoping for Yanappu/Ken to get a new move, but whatever.

The last scene, where they spotted Swanna and Gamagaru, I thought there would be more than just those two wild Pokemon appearing and Dent thinking about the twins.

Stating the obvious... Dento! <3

The subway twins loss part was just a dream of the twins :D

Most of the time, I can understand why they are helping people. This time, I don't understand. This entire thing seemed utterly pointless.

This episode made me really angry when Corphish and Buizel showed up. Wow, talk about a slap in the face to older fans, eh, writers?

Any fan of the AG and/or DP series should have felt insulted when Ash scanned those two pokemon. I've never felt this angry over watching a Pokemon episode since the middle of Johto.

The Satoshi and Dent teamwork was just as great as always. The two were brilliant at quickly adapting to Soran's and Riku's battling style and beating the twins with it, Dent and Satoshi have an excellent compatibility with each another.

I loved Soran and Riku admiring Dent, especially when they kept embarrassing him by calling Dent their "super aniki".

Any fan of the AG and/or DP series should have felt insulted when Ash scanned those two pokemon. I've never felt this angry over watching a Pokemon episode since the middle of Johto.
Well then you don't have to fret as Satoshi recognized Buoysel and Heigani before he scanned them with his Pokédex.

Last edited:
YAY UNFEZANT GOT TO DO SOMETHING!

Really, that's all I care about. As for the episode, it was lame.

I have placed my episode review in spoiler tags. Feel free to read it if you want to.

At first glance, this appears to be little more than just your "run in the mill" tag battle episode. We have all of the elements: two young twins who are really overconfident in their battling, the opponents having their pokemon combine their attacks in a pseudo-contest fashion, Ash and another main protagonist teaming up to stop them, etc. The only difference in this scenario is that Ash and his partner of the tag battle (Cilan), although they were cornered at first, managed to defeat the twins without going back and challenging them again.

The double battle that takes place during most of the first half was arguably the most prevalent aspect of the episode. It was nice to see Unfezant compete in an actual battle since... its two-minute beatdown from Roxie's Koffing during BW083. (Yes, poor Unfezant doesn't get used much in real combat, unfortunately), but it felt that all Unfezant had done was support Pansage in the air. Braviary combined its attacks with Drilbur, yet Unfezant only used two real attacks during the entire battle. It was a horrible resolution to what should have been Ash and Cilan teaming up with equal prominence instead of having one of the trainers act as the other's support.

I also felt that Cilan should have used his Stunfisk, an actual Ground-type pokemon, instead, considering that the the two COTDs in this episode used a flying-type and a ground-type, respectively. Frankly, I don't like Pansage too much, and I feel that it is overused compared to some of the other members of Cilan's team. Meanwhile, Stunfisk doesn't get too many battles, yet it has some very powerful and diverse moves. Both its Scald and Thundershock would do wonders against its opponents, and having Cilan use Stunfisk instead would have better led to Cilan suggesting to the twins to catch Water-types, considering that the twins' pokemon are at a disadvantage against those types of opponents.

The second half of the episode was rather bland, in my opinion. I already got the gist of the two twins' personalities during the first half, but I hated having to hear them repeat the exact same lines and catchphrases again and again. Outside of the twins catching two water-type pokemon species that Ash also has members of back at Professor Oak's lab, I couldn't have cared less about the twin's "accomplishment" in battle. If these two characters are going to compete in more tag battles, then why would they bother having their own two pokemon (two each, I mean) combine their attacks? If Buizel or Corphish won't be used with Braviary or Drilbur, respectively, what is the freaking point?

But I did like the inclusion of the wild Swanna and Palpitoad at the end of the episode, and Cilan just realized that he screwed up big time. Cilan told these two trainers to catch water-type pokemon so their team could be more diverse, and the two Water-types that they did caught beforehand had very little to do with their "sky and earth" theme. The two twins would have probably been happier if they had caught the part Ground-type Palpitoad and the part Flying-type Swanna. I guess an A-class connoisseur's skills have to be limited. It is nice to see that Cilan made a little mistake with his "tasting time;" this rarely happens.

Overall, this episode was average. The battle was interesting to watch, and I liked that both Braviary and Drilbur got proper screentime from all of this (Drilbur only got a flashback and a few cameo episodes under its belt, while this is Braviary's anime episode debut). Nevertheless, this was just another tag battle episode, with very slight differences between this one and ones that had aired in past series. I liked that the writers didn't attempt to make this into a "lose and rematch" plot line. I mean, if Ash lost a battle here before he got to Higaki City against two generic trainers, that would have been very disappointing.

I won't be commenting much about Ash scanning Buizel and Corphish into the dex. Logically, this anime does not make much sense, and the pokedex bits are primarily for the audience members who need to be reminded that these pokemon species exist in the first place. Ash scanning pokemon species that he had already caught or interacted with regularly had happened since the original series, so there shouldn't be too many complaints.

Next week's episode should be "interesting."

A decent ep, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but hey at least Braviary was cool, and Ash and Cilan got a win.

But we did learn that Pokeballs are evidently light enough to float on water.

The twins are ugly! The midriff baring is just meh. Chili and Cress finally appeared in a fantasy after fourty-one episodes of absence. At least it made me feel better their better to look at than the twins (I didn't like the twins designs). It's nice to see a funny flashback of Emmet and Ingo. They seemed to be more close to their pokemon than they were in the past. Even though I'm not fond of them it was funny how they screamed and over reacted over their pokemon being defeated. lol at Emmet and Ingo acting mentally ill and paranoid! It shows Emmet and Ingo can't tolerate losing. Why are they out in the open still in proper uniforms instead of being in the gear station? It's make more since if they weren't hats and the jackets. I'm pretty excited that Chili and Cress made it!!! I still think Chili left on his journey.

Who ever animated this episode shouldn't touch unfeazants design ever again, she looks bad enough as it is, so a design flaw will just stand out even more.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom