• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW100: Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!

EyVp4yAvVfVHNCU3RRJZpWJi0y57Vee3QC9GUApJ2D3dmvJZ-GqVI5OmtMV84ViXkJI4E5Wb9Y06D0zBTv4-SNugJZaM4lGgfmnnkEu12Gp47f1iiDY

Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.

I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.

Firstly, I have a comment to make on the general interior design of the Village's homes, which usually I don't notice. Yes, the theme was fitting, but I felt they could have polished it a bit more, with a more dark rich brown wood, and perhaps noticeable wools and possibly large animal skins (fake I guess, since real may seem cruel to some, I don't know), and softer decor. I realise I'm fussing over nothing, and maybe due to the climate there, the typical cabin setting is unnecessary, however I still can't shake off the feeling they were lacking something.
I kind of liked the placement in the CoTD for a single reason that it brings about Iris' homecoming in three different types of people; the old friend, the austere teacher and the maternal mentor (though I think some of the meet ups could've been done a bit better. Also I wish to hold opinions on her dialogue since I have no full comprehension of it yet, but her actions aren't the most fascinating, which is true. What Moe mentioned about her calming the Hydreigon down with Iris' assistance would be pleasant, and I would've thought at the very least she could have given Iris some advice on the Hydreigon, since she personally knows it, even if it has evolved, it wouldn't be altogether useless to give some background information and history about it instead of standing there. It would've been even nicer if Iris bothered to ask for her knowledge; I don't think it would've shown her as any weaker or incompetent to do so, just wise in the fact of relationships between people and Pokemon. (Unless she did ask, but I didn't see that, but apologies if she did).
It's interesting that Iris' reverie is on the Matriarch's peaceful approach and she immediately uses an aggressive tactic by using Dragonite and Emolga, then both them and Axew with Excadrill. I can comprehend that it may be due to she recognises the Pokemon as a formidable force, but I think it would've been nicer if she tried to let the Hydreigon hear her out first, especially that she did that with Dragonite, an also out of control powerful Pokemon. It may be the possibility of that Iris wasn't near the Pokemon, but she could've flown up on Dragonite to console Hydreigon, and then changed tactics. I didn't mind her whole team coming out (the match ups of them are in addition another mark on it), though it was a weird mark on her team's general power, still it let out the lot of them for a nice photo finish with Iris. The dragon feeling was alright, too, would've been cool to have seen the wave effect on the body and its thoughts, but I suppose it wasn't vital to know what it was thinking (you could guess), but it could've helped.
I did like Drayden lurking in the shadows (other than the fact that it looked hysterical, his face half hidden under that branch), as it conveys him reviewing her progress silently then challenging her.
The last thing I'll comment on is the Matriarch's little shuffle run. Maybe it's just me, but I find that such a sly old lady run.

Altogether, the episode was a bit eh. Not enthralling for me, but what I expected.

EyVp4yAvVfVHNCU3RRJZpWJi0y57Vee3QC9GUApJ2D3dmvJZ-GqVI5OmtMV84ViXkJI4E5Wb9Y06D0zBTv4-SNugJZaM4lGgfmnnkEu12Gp47f1iiDY

I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.

What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?

What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?
Uh, seriously? I'd say she is a lost sister of Hikari, despite the hair differences. o_@

Didn't watch, but have 3 questions:

Did she get the Hydreigon?
Was the elder disappointed Axew is still a weenie?
Did the Excadrill/Drayden subplot instantly become about Dragonite?

Uh, seriously? I'd say she is a lost sister of Hikari, despite the hair differences. o_@

You guys are talking about the eyes right? cause that's where I can see the only similarity.

Didn't watch, but have 3 questions:

Did she get the Hydreigon?
Was the elder disappointed Axew is still a weenie?
Did the Excadrill/Drayden subplot instantly become about Dragonite?
Nope. The Hydreigon is Iris's friend's possession.
She didn't show it to Iris and said Axew was fine. But IIRC she sighed after Iris left her room.
The Dragonite started to battle a Haxorus similar to what Ash's Charizard did in Johto. It didn't beat Dragonite, though.

You guys are talking about the eyes right? cause that's where I can see the only similarity.
The face format and some parts of the hair are also similar in my eyes.

Oh she doesn't look that... much...

Hold on a second. *gets out MS Paint and one minute later...*

d835d5f7-s.jpg

Holy fruits! o_o

Last edited:

Oh she doesn't look that... much...

Hold on a second. *gets out MS Paint and one minute later...*

d835d5f7-s.jpg

Holy fruits! o_o

Yeah but if you could leave the colors alone, she really looks nothing like her. I don't see why she is getting such a bash. The reason why I believe some thought she was bland is because Iris is yet again helping another training with their dragon pokemon. I mean are they're any competent dragon users in this series?

skip this eppy.

This eppy almost made me sleep. Slight reunion-esque yes. But the eppy seemed to be put out there for the heck of it :(

The Matriarch pushed over Haxorus and Dragonite.
She pushed them over.
Fecking BAMF confirmed!

I also really liked Shobu. Does Shobu x Iris have a ship name yet? Because methinks Shobu totally has a thing for her.

I ended up feeling really sorry for her Hydreigon though. It had just evolved and was confused...so Iris sent out all of her Pokémon, made it out like they were attacking it to drive it into a corner...then jumped on it. Poor thing.

EDIT: I knew I recognised Shobu's voice! Azunyan and Kirino!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom