• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW104: "Fierce Fighting! Win Out in the Rival Battle!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing any reason to think Virgil will beat Satoshi. He's just an average trainer with eevees...

I'm not seeing any reason to think Virgil will beat Satoshi. He's just an average trainer with eevees...
Because its less Embarrassing !!!
Ash losing to Kotetsu is much more Embarrassing then Ash losing to Virgil.
Not to mention , Ash didn't won any thing in Unova even though Unova had more long term Battle tournament then any other region.
Ash already suffer enough humiliation for a Stinking new beginning.
Remember , A trainer capability is for important then having Strong Pseudo Legendary Pokemon.

Unless a Tobias 2.0 character crawls out of the woodwork, I think Ash will beat Virgil in the finals.

By Finals, do you mean "the Final", because if you mean finals as in last few rounds then having a trollbias come along would make it more likely that Ash beat Virgil, not the other way around.

Honestly, the best approach to this league is to lower expectations. Don't expect Ash to do well, don't expect him to get any higher than the top 8 at best, don't expect the battles to be full of strategy and power, and then if this sort of thing does happen we can all be like "huzzah".

Still predicting, like many other people, that Ash loses to Virgil and Eevee and finishes with a top 8/16 ranking. I almost want to guarantee it, but unfortunately I cannot predict the future.

Im also predicting that this will be the worse league to date

Because its less Embarrassing !!!
Ash losing to Kotetsu is much more Embarrassing then Ash losing to Virgil.

Well he's obviously not losing to Kotetsu. The league wouldn't be that short.

Not to mention , Ash didn't won any thing in Unova even though Unova had more long term Battle tournament then any other region.
Ash already suffer enough humiliation for a Stinking new beginning.
Remember , A trainer capability is for important then having Strong Pseudo Legendary Pokemon.

I really don't see what embarrassment has to do with anything.

Still predicting, like many other people, that Ash loses to Virgil and Eevee and finishes with a top 8/16 ranking. I almost want to guarantee it, but unfortunately I cannot predict the future.

Top 8 is confirmed as of right now, but I still say he's getting top 4 again.

Nothing can be worse than the Kanto one.

If he were an average trainer, he wouldn't be the last established rival to face Ash. And they're called Eeveelutions.

Top 8 is confirmed as of right now, but I still say he's getting top 4 again.
Was it confirmed? It depends on how many COTDs Ash is going to battle in quick montage scenes. If none, then he will be in the Top 16 when he battles Virgil. I do think there will be two COTD battles to make Ash reach the Top 4 again, though. Anything beyond that? That's a massive stretch without any more important characters.

Last edited:
If he were an average trainer, he wouldn't be the last established rival to face Ash.

There could be another.

And they're called Eeveelutions.

That's an official term? I thought it was just a fan term.

Was it confirmed? It depends on how many COTDs Ash is going to battle in quick montage scenes. If none, then he will be in the Top 16 when he battles Virgil. I do think there will be two COTD battles to make Ash reach the Top 4 again, though. Anything beyond that? That's a massive stretch without any more important characters.

um how is top 8 confirmed?

Trip battle, 128 placing
Stephan battle, 64 placing
Kotetsu battle, 32 placing
Virgil battle, 16 placing

That's assuming that Ash beats Kotetsu and we don't get any montage battles.

Satoshi only beating one trainer in the first three episodes doesn't make sense, so that's why I'm saying at least one montage, which fits with Kotetsu being the first full battle. Then Satoshi beating him gets him to Top 8.

It turns out that the BW107 summary actually does confirm that Ash will battle Kotetsu in the fourth round, but I am unsure if that count includes the preliminaries. If it does, Ash will make it to the Top 8 when he presumably wins against Kotetsu, but otherwise he will make it to the Top 4. Either way, I don't see how anyone can seriously expect him to win the league.

There could be another.
It's hardly very likely, and even then that character wouldn't be an established rival. We knew about Tobias before the Sinnoh League due to promotional material.

In theory, the Axew episode could be used to introduce another character, except we know that Virgil is going to have an important role in that episode since his Umbreon will be the Dare Da feature.

That's an official term? I thought it was just a fan term.
It was used in one of the Ranger games and some strategy guides. But even if it were a fan term, it would still be better than a "bunch of Eevees".

Last edited:

Nothing can be worse than the Kanto one.[/QUOTE]

@Musashi: I think you are wholly wrong.. many accept that kanto league was the best till sinnoh league replaced it(whether its fillers/battles/catching pokes).. BW seems totally awkward considering they are trying a remake of original(Ash at age 10 again).. its more unpredictable,weak teams,concentrating on one single character/poke for 7 eps and again shifting to other.. in all this saga nd league is worse than any other to be exact

Great discussion from you guys, can't really add much that hasn't already been said.

I mean I thought the Kanto one was great considering it was the first league the only downers were Charizard costing Ash the match along with TR's interference, the entire match with Ritchie rarely any commands were given from the trainers aside from Ritchie telling Happy to use Sleep Powder :p

Given the track record that BW has provided in good tournaments, believable evolutions/moves/captures, gym matches and other things of that nature including bringing back old characters and Pokemon, I have in no way, shape, form or fashion a high expectation for this league.

Honesty, its just a stepping stone to the new series in my opinion and nothing more because really how did we get here anyway? Ash did get 8 badges (with nearly half of those matches being crap), and this season has some of the most un-evolved/underdeveloped/non-trained Pokemon we've ever seen this kid catch and raise. I'm just eager to see what kind of Pokemon his opponents will be using and how Ash will get by with the Pokemon he has on call.

Trip is going to lose in the 1st round since really the whole dang World Cup was meant for him (Iris and Dragonite aside), this will give him a 3 loss streak in the first round of a tournament.

Didn't I tell ya, Serperior would not only lose to Pikachu but be depowered as well??? Well in terms of rivals, good to see the little clueless rival (with his Riolu) have some power-packed Pokemon on call. Eevee-dude...well not saying he's going to be a pushover but it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one to beat Ash.

Great discussion from you guys, can't really add much that hasn't already been said.

I mean I thought the Kanto one was great considering it was the first league the only downers were Charizard costing Ash the match along with TR's interference, the entire match with Ritchie rarely any commands were given from the trainers aside from Ritchie telling Happy to use Sleep Powder :p

Given the track record that BW has provided in good tournaments, believable evolutions/moves/captures, gym matches and other things of that nature including bringing back old characters and Pokemon, I have in no way, shape, form or fashion a high expectation for this league.

Honesty, its just a stepping stone to the new series in my opinion and nothing more because really how did we get here anyway? Ash did get 8 badges (with nearly half of those matches being crap), and this season has some of the most un-evolved/underdeveloped/non-trained Pokemon we've ever seen this kid catch and raise. I'm just eager to see what kind of Pokemon his opponents will be using and how Ash will get by with the Pokemon he has on call.

Trip is going to lose in the 1st round since really the whole dang World Cup was meant for him (Iris and Dragonite aside), this will give him a 3 loss streak in the first round of a tournament.

Didn't I tell ya, Serperior would not only lose to Pikachu but be depowered as well??? Well in terms of rivals, good to see the little clueless rival (with his Riolu) have some power-packed Pokemon on call. Eevee-dude...well not saying he's going to be a pushover but it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one to beat Ash.

i cant agree more with you that BW season 2 is a steping stone to the next series kinda like the AG saga, i think another battle frontier can be expected, in which ash gets to spend alot more time with this under developed pokemon like boldore, palpitoad and snivy, where they well probably evolve like how donphan and sceptil did in BF

and again like hoen, i doubt ash will be bringing any of his pkm at Oak's back to the league. if he does, it may be for the sole purpose of defeating kotetsu and his hydregion( cause you can look up on what other pokemon league participants own as in previous leagues). im guess if any, it will have to be charizard as he dint show up during the sinoh league.

however it does surprise me of the eevee dude is the one to defeat ash. i think ash has every possibility and chance to beat him. and cause of my previous guess of a new BF, i dont think eevee will evolve into a gen VI pkm, so ash can beat virgil and advance to top 4 and perhaps lose there? this will also ensure this track of getting the same placing or better in each league

i cant agree more with you that BW season 2 is a steping stone to the next series kinda like the AG saga, i think another battle frontier can be expected, in which ash gets to spend alot more time with this under developed pokemon like boldore, palpitoad and snivy, where they well probably evolve like how donphan and sceptil did in BF

and again like hoen, i doubt ash will be bringing any of his pkm at Oak's back to the league. if he does, it may be for the sole purpose of defeating kotetsu and his hydregion( cause you can look up on what other pokemon league participants own as in previous leagues). im guess if any, it will have to be charizard as he dint show up during the sinoh league.

however it does surprise me of the eevee dude is the one to defeat ash. i think ash has every possibility and chance to beat him. and cause of my previous guess of a new BF, i dont think eevee will evolve into a gen VI pkm, so ash can beat virgil and advance to top 4 and perhaps lose there? this will also ensure this track of getting the same placing or better in each league

Thanks, good to know someone else understands what I mean. I've been watching since the first series when it came out in the 90s and from what I can tell BW is just a set-up for something else. I'm curious as to what because as you pointed out it could be another Battle Frontier-like series that comes up to give some closure to Ash's Unova adventures and his traveling companions because of what BW2 sets up in terms of more things to do and Pokemon to catch but we'll see.

Really, I wouldn't mind if they just ended Unova all together and moved on to something else because really it ranks so low to me that I'd almost put the Orange Islands or pre-League Johto over the BW series and that one was full of fillers :p

I don't know I really feel like Eevee might get a new form in the match just saying. The anime does have a way of promoting things like this to hint at a new event or something but we shall see.

Not sure if Ash will bring back old Pokemon despite them being in the opening. This is because of how he literally has a new "ranch" at Juniper's Lab not to mention in the Hoenn League he just used the Pokemon he caught there. Honestly, that was one of my favorite leagues but it did get kind of dull since he used the same 6 throughout the entire thing so it was difficult for the writers to make the battles a bit more exciting and they succeed in some matches especially with Katie (a trainer that actually switched her team throughout the battle for type and attack advantages).

Let's see...Glaceon/Leafeon/Vapereon can take out Ash's new powerhouse crocodile
Snivy vs Flareon
Leafeon vs. Palpitoad...

I'm just guessing and thinking in game logic/type advantages that Eevee-dude if he wanted could construct a 6 team of Eeveelutions to destroy Ash's team of Unova Pokemon due to the wide variety of types that he has BUT this is the anime, types/attacks/etc. are subject to change according to the whims of the story line and writers...

Seriously, I'd love to see Ash win a league BUT if it was the Unova league I wouldn't be too happy. Ash has had the worst track record of wins, tournament standings and whatnot (aside from Gym Battles) in this region. His Pokemon aren't really that powerful (aside from a few and the ones handpicked by the writers to be seriously overpowered...).

Do I think Ash could win this league?

Yes and No. If he did win it wouldn't really surprise me that much because BW has been all about handing out undeserved wins (despite Ash still being 10, fighting in other leagues and whatnot) but this series league would seem shallow if he won. Despite it being a one up since his winning streak hasn't been impressive at all this series.

If he doesn't I still predict its the Eevee-dude that knocks him out of it.

Though he has a good amount of rivals this series most seem to be carbon copies of Sinnoh rivals (not saying anything names) and I think that he soon will win a league and fight in the Champion League due to BW2 having a Champion League Tournament in PWT in the games (just a thought you can take that as you like).

Who knows some guy with legendary Pokemon might pop up like before in the last league but I doubt it. I really don't feel there is a reason to. Bianca and Stephan are here no surprise.

Glad they weren't in there Jr. Cup (would have been trashed by the Dragonite/Iris/Trip mania) so I see that Georgia and Burgundy were there since they wouldn't be in the league. Good job there writers, hopefully they will appear again or come to watch the league, who knows?

Last edited:

Thanks, good to know someone else understands what I mean. I've been watching since the first series when it came out in the 90s and from what I can tell BW is just a set-up for something else. I'm curious as to what because as you pointed out it could be another Battle Frontier-like series that comes up to give some closure to Ash's Unova adventures and his traveling companions because of what BW2 sets up in terms of more things to do and Pokemon to catch but we'll see.

Really, I wouldn't mind if they just ended Unova all together and moved on to something else because really it ranks so low to me that I'd almost put the Orange Islands or pre-League Johto over the BW series and that one was full of fillers :p

I don't know I really feel like Eevee might get a new form in the match just saying. The anime does have a way of promoting things like this to hint at a new event or something but we shall see.

Not sure if Ash will bring back old Pokemon despite them being in the opening. This is because of how he literally has a new "ranch" at Juniper's Lab not to mention in the Hoenn League he just used the Pokemon he caught there. Honestly, that was one of my favorite leagues but it did get kind of dull since he used the same 6 throughout the entire thing so it was difficult for the writers to make the battles a bit more exciting and they succeed in some matches especially with Katie (a trainer that actually switched her team throughout the battle for type and attack advantages).

Let's see...Glaceon/Leafeon/Vapereon can take out Ash's new powerhouse crocodile
Snivy vs Flareon
Leafeon vs. Palpitoad...

I'm just guessing and thinking in game logic/type advantages that Eevee-dude if he wanted could construct a 6 team of Eeveelutions to destroy Ash's team of Unova Pokemon due to the wide variety of types that he has BUT this is the anime, types/attacks/etc. are subject to change according to the whims of the story line and writers...

well, orange islands was alot more exciting than BW2 season 2. lets not forget ash caught a snorlax while there, one of his major power house now. BW does seem to have a kanto vibe, maybe just to attract more/ new viewers of the younger generation cause ppl like us who watched from the 90s wont mind a little setback like this. and i really hoep they make it all up with something similar to battle frontier and orange league. ash did win the orange league and drake's dragonite, so we still dont know what to expect. what ash's team lack now is probably diversity in terms of attacks. most of him pokemon dont know moves outside their type. like scraggy only having fighting type moves ( headbutt aside), leavany with bug and leaf only, snivy with grass. only boldore, krookodile and pikachu has good moves not of their type and from the many trailers, virgil's team is very flexible, with each pokemon knowing other typed moves. this could be how ash looses in the end.

but as you said, type advantages ans stuff are easily changes by the writers. remember how a meowth with thunderbolt managed to beat a pikachu in jhoto? givin that, ash may in the end win vilgil. he just has to think properly

leavany vs leafeon/vaporeon
krookodile vs flarion/ espeon
palpitoad vs jolteon
scaraggy / pignite vs umbreon/ glacion

vigvil doesnt necessarily need to always use types ash is weak against. ash can do the same against him

@lordbryan567

Ouch, please don't remind me of that Tom & Jerry final round between Ash and Tyson. I was furious to see that Meowth went toe to toe with Pikachu's electric attacks. Don't get me wrong no matter what type uses Thunderbolt it usually ends up tying with Pikachu's but for Meowth's Thunderbolt to be even with Pikachu's Thunder attack that was the last straw...

But back to other matters, yeah OL had a lot more going for it; Snorlax was caught, Lapras was one of my favorites, we see Charizard listen to Ash and seeing him beat a Dragonite (wow first time I thought about how he beat one this season as well haha and it was Iris' to boot).

I couldn't agree more because of that diversity in moves, Ash could be at a disadvantage. Could really see Scraggy evolving soon but that's just an opinion.

Oshawott only knows water moves aside from Tackle, Snivy nothing but Grass aside from Attract, Pignite nothing but Fire moves except Tackle of all moves...and it being a dual Fighting type you'd think it would learn a move from that element as well. Unfezant nothing but Flying moves except Quick Attack. Aside from Razor Leaf and Energy Ball, Leavanny really doesn't have much going for it at all where are its deadly moves like Leaf Blade and X-Scissor?

Vincent really does have the advantage with his Eevees knowing a large move pool of attacks.

There was also Krabby/Kingler's overwhelmingly BS victory against all three of Mandy's pokemon. That's what always tainted the Kanto league for me.

There was also Krabby/Kingler's overwhelmingly BS victory against all three of Mandy's pokemon. That's what always tainted the Kanto league for me.

Haha, I see what you mean but I like Ash's Kingler so that really didn't bother me too much I suppose. I'd take that battle over his lost to Ritchie because that could have been a good 3 on 3 if TR hadn't gotten in the way beforehand.

But I know what you're saying Krabby was highly inexperienced heck the only "training" we saw from it was when Oak used it to deliver his tea and snacks from the kitchen in "Showdown at the Poke-Corral" when Gary, Ash, Misty and Brock went to visit Oak's lab for info on the league.

@lordbryan567

Ouch, please don't remind me of that Tom & Jerry final round between Ash and Tyson. I was furious to see that Meowth went toe to toe with Pikachu's electric attacks. Don't get me wrong no matter what type uses Thunderbolt it usually ends up tying with Pikachu's but for Meowth's Thunderbolt to be even with Pikachu's Thunder attack that was the last straw...

But back to other matters, yeah OL had a lot more going for it; Snorlax was caught, Lapras was one of my favorites, we see Charizard listen to Ash and seeing him beat a Dragonite (wow first time I thought about how he beat one this season as well haha and it was Iris' to boot).

I couldn't agree more because of that diversity in moves, Ash could be at a disadvantage. Could really see Scraggy evolving soon but that's just an opinion.

Oshawott only knows water moves aside from Tackle, Snivy nothing but Grass aside from Attract, Pignite nothing but Fire moves except Tackle of all moves...and it being a dual Fighting type you'd think it would learn a move from that element as well. Unfezant nothing but Flying moves except Quick Attack. Aside from Razor Leaf and Energy Ball, Leavanny really doesn't have much going for it at all where are its deadly moves like Leaf Blade and X-Scissor?

Vincent really does have the advantage with his Eevees knowing a large move pool of attacks.

well, i purposely left out all the normal typed moves

and lapras, doubt we'll ever see him again. and if kotetsu really as a hydregion, i hope ash used charizard( lost to duke's dragonite) to beat it

leavany does learn x scizzor in the battle with stephan from the magazine though.

as for evolutions, oshawott just cannot evolve cause of it's personality. ill put my bey on scraggy or palpitoad evolving if any of ash's are to evolve this league

well that episode pretty much sealed that league as one of my faves

really hoping to see kingler in action again some time soon, it really needs screen time. not sure if kingler or palpitoad has more eps as of now, lol

Haha, I see what you mean but I like Ash's Kingler so that really didn't bother me too much I suppose. I'd take that battle over his lost to Ritchie because that could have been a good 3 on 3 if TR hadn't gotten in the way beforehand.

But I know what you're saying Krabby was highly inexperienced heck the only "training" we saw from it was when Oak used it to deliver his tea and snacks from the kitchen in "Showdown at the Poke-Corral" when Gary, Ash, Misty and Brock went to visit Oak's lab for info on the league.

i love kingler for some unknown reason. too bad in johto league it had to save some voltob / electrode and wasent able to participate.... spoiled that league for me.

and TR totally screw ash's match. but somehow im hoping i'd happen again for the unova league, mainly cause unova has been pretty much dull

Last edited by a moderator:
So Bianca vs. Kotetsu is at least a 2-on-2 battle (probably a 3-on-3). It's nice to see Escavalier being used again. I wonder what moves it will use.

@Musashi: I think you are wholly wrong.. many accept that kanto league was the best till sinnoh league replaced it(whether its fillers/battles/catching pokes)..

I completely disagree with that.

BW seems totally awkward considering they are trying a remake of original(Ash at age 10 again)..

He was never older than 10.

its more unpredictable,weak teams,concentrating on one single character/poke for 7 eps and again shifting to other.. in all this saga nd league is worse than any other to be exact

I completely disagree with that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom