• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW104: Fierce Fighting! Win Out in the Rival Battle!!

Finally got to watch the FULL episode today. Bianca's battle...

Honestly, I'm not mad at her for spamming Iron Defense. Not sure if the anime follows the game's mechanics in terms of 3 Iron Defenses=MAX POWER DEFENSE. I know the in games and please correct me if I'm wrong; Increasing your Defensive powers makes your Pokemon more vulnerable to a critical-hit that can result in a K.O.? I know from experiences fighting Torkoal, Wailord, and other Pokemon that use moves like Curse, Amnesia, Iron Defense, etc. then use Rest to get full health and can take hit after hit with little damage but one critical hit and they drop like flies in one attack.

Don't know if that was what happened with Shell Blade knocking out Bianca' iron bug knight out in one hit but if it was that made sense, but still mad that it was over so quickly. I wanted to see more of its moves. Then Round 2; in the previews I was shocked to see Emboar still standing after Hydro Cannon to the face, but it first took an Aqua Jet as well?

Writers, come on now Ash's Pikachu took ridiculous damage against Serperior but those moves weren't super-effective against him but Emboar? I'm not upset at it using Attract either. In the BW games, doesn't ALL of Bianca's Pokemon know how to use Return? Would have been an interesting attack here but oh well Attract it is...

Gotta say this battle is why I LOVE Riolu. Its so adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

Copycat making a debut was awesome. Loved Circle Throw made Riolu look like a boss.

That match is why I hate when a Pokemon can launch attack after attack after attack after attack simultaneously. Might be explained how Riolu is a small Pokemon that had to launch that many moves in rapid succession to win but seriously? Not saying Bianca doesn't use that style herself either but still. Epic Vacuum Wave!

If Riolu proved to be a bad ass battler in this form, its obvious that its going to evolve soon and if so watch out trainers! (But then again if Lucario hits the stage the writers might make it lose very easily in terms of making the story go the way they want it too...)

Love Vaporeon! If I get White 2 (since I have Black 2 already); I'm going to put one on my team of 6 with Serperior, Electavire, Metagross, Buffolant and a Dragon-type! It has always been my favorite Eeveeloution!

Downloadable tournament from the Unova league looks cool as well. Hope that comes to the U.S. soon!

Really wished for more than 2-on-2 but hey anything for merchandising if it means crappy pacing even in a league right?

-Satoshi VS. Shooti was okay, I don't mind Jalorda being defeated so easily. Sure the snake is elusive, but it's most likely a glass cannon as well given we saw how Tsutarja defeated him and how Adeku did as well. I wasn't too surprised Pikachu smashed the snake because he was simply able to finally land a hit on Jalorda who has been untouchable by everyone since the Junior Cup, outside of Adeku. I liked the decisive move that won the battle. Shooti's exit and shaking hands with Satoshi was nice, the writers did a nice job of making it different from Shinji with those two actually appearing to be mutually friendly and rival-like toward each other compared to Shinji who was trying to act like Mr.Cool the whole time and hide his emotion. Although I never really cared for Shooti I did enjoy the departure between the two.

-Er...Bel. Bel. I guess it's smart strategy to use Iron Defense, but it seemed kinda boring when up against Kotetsu's Daikenki's Shell Blade, which I'm sure lowers Defense in-game. I'm also sick of how OP Mero-Mero is, Gamagaru VS. Tsutarja was terrible because Tsutarja didn't struggle and of course neither did Bel or Emboar, they didn't win on their own merits and strategic power, they used the ever circumstance-ridden Mero-mero. Felt pretty lazy. Riolu smashing Emboar with Circle Throw and Copy Catting Flamethrower back at it was cool and I loved the fluent movements when it battled. Yeah, Bel overall is a pretty comedic rival and nothing to be taken too seriously at least she wasn't nearly as pathetic as Jun. Outside of her Emboar she isn't that strong to me. I actually think it kinda sucks Bel hasn't had a good battle in BW yet, I mean this battle was pretty above the battle against Shooti at the Donamite. But honestly, Bel just seems so....not bad but lackluster? I liked her in-game but man did her battle feel kinda sucky. Crying comedic-like like an idiot after you lose? Seriously? No serious crying, just her crying like a buffoon while Kotetsu and Riolu hop around happy. They just went overboard with her girly-ness and stereotyping. Fawning over Riolu a.k.a Fighting-type? Again, really? I just don't think I really care too much about her anymore.

-Kotetsu's Riolu was epic.

-Bel and Shooti get the boot first, kinda glad, I prefer Kenyan and Kotetsu to the both of them anyway.

-Overall, okay episode. Showers Hydro Pumping Iwaperesu to the face and defeating it so easily makes me remember how cool it is. Kotetsu using Pin Missile into the mouth of Shibibirudon to defeat it was certainly odd.

-Voice acting during the moment Pikachu is being choked was pretty emotional, Pikachu's.

Last edited:
Nice episode to be realistic.. two battles between rivals.. sad its just ended in a short note esp the 2nd one.. the fact that pikachu was taking so many hits is that it is determined and all its experience came into play.. being a grass type serperior can take thunderbolt never mind grounding which is just to miininize the damage.. but irontail+eletro ball combo was super awesome and writers not taking pikachu's static ability into account was worse. If it worked serperior wouldnt be as evasive as earlier but anyways 1 up for Ash..
In Bianca vs kotetsu battle,, hmm so she started on defensive note and attack with emboar next up. strategy wise its ok but critical hits have to taken care off. Attract and copycat were nice to see,, how come bianca knew the gender of kotetsu's pokemon, and would be nice if she had used it again on Riolu. About Riolu its small,agile and moves are perfect,, am waiting for its evolution soon..

*finally shows up*

Well, allow me to join the celebration for the end of the worst rival to ever disgrace happen to the anime. People can call their battle cheap all they want, but there was no logic to their "rivalry" to begin with, so I couldn't care less about that; only that it's all over now. I happened to like that combination attack, regardless. I also agree that...

XGG6T.jpg
... this was the best thing to ever happen to him.

Anyway, I'm still kind of disappointed that Bianca lost, but at least Emboar proved to be a beast to take down.

I also loved the Pokemon sauna scene where Riolu and Pikchu have a water fight and Oshawott goes "what a couple of kids!" and then Pikachu actually resorts to using a Thunderbolt attack, but Riolu gets out of the bath and just ends up zapping Oshawott, a Water-type, to the point where he basically faints. Really, Pikachu, Oshawott probably deserved that, but for you to even consider using your attacks in a water fight... Wow. Just wow.

Last edited:
trip vs ash was ass, idk how some people think it was great.

I don't like Trip, but he had that battle won. Lightning rod the thunderbolt into the ground? Really smart move on his part. However, despite Serperior's perceived godlike abilities, Pikachu should've have been getting rinsed like that. We're talking about Ash's starter whose stood toe to toe with legendaries/E4/frontier brain. And though Ash combining attacks was cool, it shouldn't have OHKO'd serperior. If they implied that Serperior was a glass cannon, that'd be one thing...but they never did.

Man, that battle sucked. Please just get the league over with.

I think the writers should have waited for Ash and Trip to have a full 6 on 6 battle. Just saying.

Nice battles here. Pikachu vs. Jarolda was concluded very well, Iron Tail + Electro Ball combo was really something, I'm not surprised that it even took Jarolda down. The flashback during battle showing the earlier battles of Satoshi and Shooti with that great track from 14th movie was great too.

Loved that moment when Pikachu and Riolu played with water, some Pokémon interacting without humans is always welcome.

Bel vs Kotetsu, huh...Daikenki spammed that Hydro Cannon while Chevargo kept using Iron Defence and after that Daikenki charging towards Chevargo while using its seamitars looked really badass, nice animation here.
I almost surprised by the fact that Daikenki is female, didn't knew that before watching the episode but her having a woman as VA...you probably saw that coming. Enbuoh knowing Meromero was quite weird.

Not bad league episode at all, with all nice music used from 14th movie and decent animation.

I liked it.

Even though Bianca shouldn't have spammed Iron Defense with Chevargo, in my interpetation, what made her lose there was that she was trying to be smart in battle when she really isn't, and didn't know how to handle herself in that situation, Emboar vs Daikenki was nice, I really ROFL'd with Emboar using attract, and I liked that Daikenki lost, winning because of the type advantage would have been quite boring. Riolu vs Emboar was easily the high point for me, Copycat was really awesome in the animé, and his repeteaded Force Palms looked pretty powerful too... also, Flamethrower to the eyes, I repeat, FLAMETHROWER TO THE EYES! This Kotetsu kid is kinda brutal, as you can also see by PIN MISSILE TO THE MOUTH!

Ash vs Shootie was also well done, even though i pffft'd at Ash's reccolection of all the times he lost to Shootie. Also, Serperior almost squeezed the life outta Pikachu, and I liked it, and I think it makes sense that it went down in a hit, even though this species is defense-geared in the games and is quite durable, I always got the impression that Shootie's wasn't, it was a Glass Cannon, so I connected it as the main reason as to why Shootie trained it to be evasive. Shootie's epic ''I Lost?!'' face is my new desktop btw. Also, it shows that the writers pretty much learned with their mistakes with him, and decided to wrap it up ASAP, which was good too.

Also, Serperior almost squeezed the life outta Pikachu, and I liked it, and I think it makes sense that it went down in a hit, even though this species is defense-geared in the games and is quite durable, I always got the impression that Shootie's wasn't, it was a Glass Cannon, so I connected it as the main reason as to why Shootie trained it to be evasive.

That's what i've been trying to point out over here and at Serebii, but it seems we still got people who still don't realise that, when Serperior put it's tail into the ground to nulify Pikachu's electricity and stop being shocked that was the tip off factor because if Serperior had it's "defense" status, it would've taken that Thunderbolt like a boss without doing that.

At least Bianca set herself apart from Barry in that she got an on screen win against a worthy opponent, but it was her starter that got the win as usual--;

Also, Serperior almost squeezed the life outta Pikachu, and I liked it, and I think it makes sense that it went down in a hit, even though this species is defense-geared in the games and is quite durable, I always got the impression that Shootie's wasn't, it was a Glass Cannon, so I connected it as the main reason as to why Shootie trained it to be evasive.

That's what i've been trying to point out over here and at Serebii, but it seems we still got people who still don't realise that, when Serperior put it's tail into the ground to nulify Pikachu's electricity and stop being shocked that was the tip off factor because if Serperior had it's "defense" status, it would've taken that Thunderbolt like a boss without doing that.

At least Bianca set herself apart from Barry in that she got an on screen win against a worthy opponent, but it was her starter that got the win as usual--;

That reminded me a lot of Pike Queen Lucy's Milotic, who even withstood(spl?) Pikachu's electric attacks because it had great defense, also, Shootie clearly prioritized evasion even in the Junior Cup, opting many times to use powerful moves that are also quick, so that the battle wouldn't get longer, the only time he didn't, was when Serperior squeezed Pikachu, and surprise surprise, it didn't work.

And yeah, Barry was emasculated, basically.

Thought this was a decent episode besides the fact that trip was rushed out..

Also, this episode could have used a little less unova music and a little more Pre unova music D:

I don't know about the OHKO move on Jolorda considering he should be resistant to electric moves so most the damage would've been from Iron Tail. I guess when you have a Pikachu that's fought against legendaries then it will beat regular pokemon easily. Truthfully, after tying with Latios, Pikachu should've owned all those gym battles by himself.

I'd love if they'd bring the Darkrai Trainer back in the finals and this time for Ash to use his most powerful 6 pokemon.

Yes, even I must admit that Ash VS Shooti's match could have finished better- however I must compliment the usage of a combination move, at the very least. Pikachu's fierce adamancy to stay conscious, for the lack of a better word, was also pleasant. But I'm still indifferent towards Shooti, even at the end. I was hoping that he'd remain for just a match, just to convey that he was properly watching one even after his defeat, but the old "put a dog out of its misery" route was fine by me. They could show a scene of him watching one later on, who knows.

I expected nothing less than montage victories for Kotetsu and Bel, but I didn't predict they'd occur before Ash vanquishes over Shooti. Still, it was in a good structure, imo, because they could then join Dento and Iris to cheer Ash on, along with Kenyan, which they did. Kotetsu's Ferrothorn's Pin Missile to Eelektross' mouth, very ferocious, but efficient.

Wow, those sauna scenes. Still, I think Kenyan to heartily slap someone on the back is just of his nature, so I didn't mind. The Moomoo Milk mention was also a nice touch, I think.

Bel VS Kotetsu's match, didn't do Bel enough justice, in my personal opinion. I think Escavalier down to Samurott's Razor Shell is due to the fact that in a very literal sense, Iron Armour was strengthening its armour, and not its underbelly, which Kotetsu seemed to direct Samurott to strike. I could be totally incorrect in thinking that, though. They had an interesting moment with the sword fight scene, but they could have made that more thrilling.

Aah, Emboar using Attract was a comedic and sly way to turn those tables. I mean, it wouldn't be something you'd assume, an intimidating Pokemon like that using such a move! I have to give Bel credit on that. I also adore how Emboar gets sick of Riolu's Force Palm, and hoists him into the air, it's probably one of my favourite moments in that match. Riolu's copycat was conveyed in a smooth way, and I loved it. I also have to comment on Bel fawning over Riolu and then snapping out of it; that was lovely, as sure, we're all allowed to be appealed by something, and Bel's no different, but she orders herself to focus, which was great.
Poor darling though, I felt such pity for her when she cried. That wasn't a match that highlighted her and her development well enough, and I wish it was.

Okay episode, though. I enjoyed some scenes.

This episode has got a rating of 4.5.
Slight improvement from prev ep rating of 4.2.. But still the writers need to give the league a lot to improve these ratings

Good riddance Shooti.

So two new lackluster battles. Actually I liked Bel and Kotetsu's battle a lot more than the so-slow-i-almost-fell-asleep battle with Shooti. Seriously, it was boring to watch... The only midly exciting moment was the final blow and it was pretty meh itself.
I was almost sure they would fast-forward every non Satoshi battle this time. So good to be wrong.

Shooti made me sick of Jalorda. I feel like I should have picked Mijumaru as a starter...

trip was one of the pre-Conference Favorites to win because of his victory in the PWT Jr cup

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom