• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW106: Dageki Appears! Satoshi VS Kenyan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW106 Krookodile and BW107 Hydreigon

See this is what i'm talking about people. Kotetsu owning a Hydreigon is leagues worse than Iris catching a Dragonite. Especially if said Hydreigon is a supposed secret weapon. In my opinion this is no different than Tyson having Metagross and Tobias having Darkrai, only difference they both are the ones who were introduced only to win the league right before it while Kotetsu is just late on the uptake of being a standard rival for Ash. And yes I agree that Kotetsu given his personality is completely undeserving for owning and using that Hydreigon. And what about Riolu evolving into Lucario or Samurott being Kotetsu's best Pokemon, considering it is likely his starter. So this completely screws over Kotetsu's character developmentally and could potentially turn his character to an unworthy DEM only used to beat Ash in the league this time and even if that isn't the case, the simple fact that Kotetsu has this Hydreigon is still a unnecessary kick in the groin. This is my two cents here.

This. So much. This.

Kotetsu has some pretty powerful pokemon the more the story follows along. It would make sense for him to lose to him than to Virgil because his Pokemon is more believable. However, what will Vigril's Pokemon be of any use for if it can't battle with Ash?

Last edited:

Ash beating Kotetsu only to proceed and lose against Virgil in a 6v6 seems very likely at this point, but also very boring. Really hoping something else will happen...

When Kotestu was first introduced I really didn't like him, but now in finding out that he has a Sazandora...somehow I wish he had been introduced earlier in the series so that we would have had the chance to watch him learn and grow as a trainer, instead of suddenly "whOA WHY DOES THIS KID HAVE ALL OF THESE FULLY EVOLVED POKEMON" especially because when he was first introduced he just had little Rilou, and didn't come across as a very strong contender.

I don't think it's cheap that he has a Sazandora, just wish that we had seen him progress more with it as a trainer instead of suddenly being introduced at the league?

Ya give all the powerful pokemon to the derp who's gonna lose to Ash -_-. That's smart writers.....*facepalms*

Pikachu vs Eevee here we come lol.

I wouldn't consider being dumb a reason not to have a Hydreigon not that raw power is dumb (I actually am kinda annoyed that attack attack attack is seen in such a negative light) but when you're not that clever it is your greatest ally. And Kotetsu unlike Iris is normal league based trainer not some anime exclusive occupation so having a Psuedo lengendary he's constantly training for league unlike Iris who's goals aren't defined that much and doesn't seem to battle random trainers randomly. Yes I wish Hydreigon went to somebody else (Ash or Trollbias 2.0) but he does have 8 badges and you gotta have strong pokemon to win the league. We don't Kotetsu past and he probably has a full team so he is strong enough to catch one unevolved.

Still wish it went to someone else though.

I cannot actually believe this but color me surprised that Kotetsu would be the one to have the Hydreigon. After all who coulda guessed he would have it? Certainly not anyone who would apply some sort of logical thinking into this. I took into account the fact that Hydreigon is worthy of a Pokemon who could possibly be a repeat of how powerful Darkrai was in the Sinnoh League Tournament as well as the fact that this is the same dunderhead Kotetsu who thought that this League took place all the way in Johto. His personality seems more or less like Ash's which would lead me to believe that Kotetsu could be worthy of using or otherwise catching this particular Hydreigon. Also the fact that none of Ash league rivals in the past save for the person who ended up beating him(which was Tyson at the Hoenn League) have never used a psuedo-legend in any of the past league.

Using precedents and some logic,I came to the conclusion that there were only two possiblilities for this Hydreigon, either it was owned by a recurring COTD like Katherine or a Random COTD who woulda got beat in like 30-45 secs with it although I previously though it could also be owned by a mystery trainer ala Tobias. Now let me say that I don't generally approve of someone like Kotetsu using a Hydreigon as I feel he isn't worthy to be using it, especially since it just appeared in the league out of nowhere and we or at least I did not see it coming. Also because Kotetsu seems like an Ash 2.0 presonality-wise and seeing that Kotetsu in fact does have this Hydreigon, to me it is quite unfair that Kotetsu can get a Hydreigon while Ash can not get a Fully Evolved Psuedo-Legend. Where was the fully evolved Garchomp Ash coulda had at the Sinnoh League to combat Tobias' Darkrai. Seriously this turned Kotetsu from being the Morrison of the tournament to possibly being the Premiere DEM of the Unova League.

Short Version:Kotetsu owning this Hydreigon bugs me waayyy more than Iris catching Dragonite before the Junior Cup and plowing her way with it all the way to the top 4 of the Junior Cup with it alone.

Psuedo Legendaries is just a fan made term. It isn't official.

Kotetsu having a Hydreigon is like Ash having a Charizard.

Well the way I see it, the only thing keeping Kotetsu's Hydreigon, who is generally seen as a type of Pokemon who's strength is second only to an actual legendary, from thourougly outclassing Ash's Charizard is the fact Ash had Charizard since his glory days in Kanto and of Course Hydreigon as a Species generally outclass all starter Pokemon like Charizard in strength. Charizard in my opinion is no better in the Anime than say Emboar. Speaking of which I believe Bianca's Emboar will lose against Hydreigon only for Ash's Pignite to evolve into an Emboar and beat. I really hope the writers go for the Ironic here.

I'm pretty sure it being his secret weapon means it won't appear till this episode and won't be used against Bianca

Some info from Dengeki Nintendo for Kids

SPOLIERS!!

Turns out the Hydreigon is indeed Kot's.

106th, 107th Best Wishes episodes unveiled - Bulbanews

And judging from this pic that was in the magazine, he's going to beat Bel as a warm up

Though who wants to bet she'll be all over Riolu and/or Evee? ;-)

Some info from Dengeki Nintendo for Kids

SPOLIERS!!

Turns out the Hydreigon is indeed Kot's.

106th, 107th Best Wishes episodes unveiled - Bulbanews

And judging from this pic that was in the magazine, he's going to beat Bel as a warm up
BW105_106_107_scans.png

Sorry for being spoilery, but somone had to post this sooner or later

Lol your about a day late there.

^ my mistake

Does that Eelektross belong to a CoTD that Kotetsu battles, or is it Bianca's?

Kotetsu's getting a Hydreigon? Oh come on.... This is even worse than the Dragonite fiasco back in the Junior Cup!

Hm.

I'll start off with the fact that I'm glad Kenyan and Ash face off in BW106. See, when I saw the initial scan foretelling their battle, I did wonder would it be sooner than this, but now seems an alright time. Since Krookodile was mentioned initially in BW106 will it be him verus Liepard, since we have Leavanny against Sawk, and Zebstrika battling Paliptoad at various stages through the course of their match? Now, of course, it could be otherwise, Krookodile could've fought and fainted before then or was going to fight after Ash defeats Liepard, that's just a guess thrown out there. He mightn't be even battling in that match, but I wouldn't see the need to showcase that particular Pokemon with the text. I can't see it being anyone else's Krookodile, either. I hope Kenyan stays to spectate with the gang after he loses, like how Barry did in the Sinnoh League. That'd be pleasant to see.
So, it really does seem to be Kotetsu VS Bel? I desired otherwise, but eh, I have to face the truth now. I wonder when will that occur, do we know? I hope it's in either BW106 or BW105. Any earlier, would be less suitable in my view, considering that Bio on her and her progression...
Why is Kibago in that lurid costume, though? I wonder if that's a part of BW105's plot or has he simply decked out in some showy gear for cheering?
Right. Onto the fact that Kotetsu has a Hydreigon. That is certainly an unexpected move, to say the least. He could've raised it from a Deino to a Hydreigon though, which makes me concur with Aragai Hakase on her point that she'd rather she the development with him earlier with Hydreigon. Now, Kotetsu though, I'm not going to be completely bewildered at for possessing such a Pokemon. That is to say, I believe he may be a tad bit more competent than we think. That Pokemon Fan scan on the rivals, if I'm not very much mistaken, talks about his chance to reveal his hidden power finally. Whether they were alluding to Hydreigon, or the whole team, I don't know. But in a scan, Riolu can be shown flipping over Emboar, who isn't the lightest creature to exist, so perhaps it extends to more than just this secret weapon. I know we see Emboar letting him dangle, but Bel's not weak either, so. Even having a secret weapon is pretty sly for someone of Kotetsu's apparent intellect. I could even ponder if he has tricked us all along... but I think that'd be slightly far fetched for this speculation, even.
Now, I could be completely wrong; I'm just attempting to extract some rationality out of this little scandal.

Even having a secret weapon is pretty sly for someone of Kotetsu's apparent intellect. I could even ponder if he has tricked us all along... but I think that'd be slightly far fetched for this speculation, even.
Now, I could be completely wrong; I'm just attempting to extract some rationality out of this little scandal.
Calling it now: the derpiness was all an act on Kotetsu's part in order to get people to underestimate him.

I could see Hydreigon being a Pokemon Kotetsu caught a few days before the league.

@Karamazov's theory is the only way any of this could be justified as even remotely decent writing. :p

I think this is pure, all-natural bullshit writing at its finest, but I actually do not think this is worse than Iris and her ubergodly Dragonite. Mostly, this is because we don't know enough about Kotetsu to even make a valid comparison. If he DID get this Hydreigon as a gift from the heavens literally just before the League, then yes, this would be on par with the WTJC incident, but I highly doubt that's the case. ^^;

However, this is still a huge slap in the face that Kotetsu gets to be the one to boot Bianca out of the League relatively early on. Bianca is the one who's been around since nearly the beginning: of all the rivals Ash has had in BW, we've seen her growth and progression more so than anyone else, and imo she's also the strongest of Ash's rivals in terms of character/personality as well. She's literally the only one I cared about for this League; I cared about how she would fare more than I cared for Ash, for fuck's sake. Seeing her tossed aside in favor of a guy who only started existing like ten episodes ago, whose character is not well fleshed out because he lacks the longevity that all the other rivals (sans Virgil) have, AND that his defining characteristic is that his IQ makes Barry look like Stephen-fucking-Hawking by comparison... all of that leaves an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

For all we know he very well could have worked hard enough to earn these super-strong Pokemon of his, but the fact that we really DON'T know the details whereas we've been following a lot of Bianca's steps towards becoming a competent trainer just feels inherently wrong when the writers decide to favor the dumbass we know little about and haven't had much time to get attached to.

It's just... you know. Bad writing. A terrible decision in the narrative. And honestly, who wanted to see Ash vs Kotetsu in the League over Ash vs Bianca, especially when we know there's probably plenty of time for Ash and Kotetsu to do their retarded antics in whatever filler saga follows this League. It's just like the first Don Battle: instead of seeing Ash vs Luke, which the episodes before the finale seemed to be foreshadowing at and had those two characters more involved with the competition which made them more deserving to win than anyone else competing, instead we got a dumb lopsided Ash vs Iris; a match we could see literally any time in the series. Similarly, they squandered the chance to not only allow Bianca to get some redemption for the two times Stephan defeated her in the series by having her beat him by feeding the guy to Ash again, but also the prospect of Ash vs Bianca would have been much more interesting to watch rather than see Bianca get beat by some guy she's never even met before.

Since we've sunk this low already, I'm honestly all for Virgil beating Ash when all's said and done. If they're favoring the rivals who we barely know and probably don't care about, and factoring in Ash's embarrassingly shitty track record in BW, then it's only right for Ash to lose this League to a bunch of Eeveelutions instead of actual superpowered beasts like Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, etc. :p

Well, Bianca was the only thing about this League I legitimately cared about other than getting Trip kicked out ASAP. From here on out I welcome the trollsville infestation to shit over the remainder of this League. The more of a trainwreck it is, the better. :D

I could see Hydreigon being a Pokemon Kotetsu caught a few days before the league.
Unless it doesn't obey Kotetsu, which is unlikely, it would be a slap in Iris' face and in ours too by screwing the whole "only-a-few-can-train-a-dragon" plot.

Uhm... I don't recall the number of Unova League participants, is it 256? Because if so, and if Ash win against Kotetsu, he will be at 32th. Would be a total shame if he faced Virgil there, assuming Ash won't fight with CotDs, and lost.

Unless it doesn't obey Kotetsu, which is unlikely, it would be a slap in Iris' face and in ours too by screwing the whole "only-a-few-can-train-a-dragon" plot.

Actually a poster on Sppf said something about the scan vaugely mentioning Hydreigon thrashing about or rampaging, it's not quite clear yet though....if it is true then the writers aren't trying anymore.

Are people seriously besides themselves over Kotetsu owning a Sanzandora? The thing is, we just don't know enough about Kotetsu to assume the worst. Kotetsu could have very well have raised that Dragon from a Monozu for all we know and I'm assuming he did just that given that's the main formula for Pokemon growth in this series. If Kotetsu did catch that Sanzandora off the bat, what of it? It's not like he's a main character, plus it speaks to his own skills to be able to catch a Dragon like that. Sanzandora are species that attack anything that moves, so it's just a way of showing Kotetsu's skills as a trainer if he did catch it off the bat. Plus it's not like he's aspiring to be a Dragon Master, he doesn't have to understand its heart, just beat it and raise its power level. I'm banking on him having raised it if it is his "secret weapon". I don't think Kotetsu's Sanzandora is a disobedient or uncontrollable Pokemon either, if Pokemon Fan is indeed accurate on the idea of it being a secret weapon, then it most likely is gonna be a reliable Pokemon if anything. If anything it should be treated the same as Shinji's ridiculously strong Drapion.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Kotetsu owning a Sanzandora or beating Bel imo. Weren't people pressed over Shooti beating Satoshi despite Shooti being a "n00b?" Kotetsu seems like he has more experience than Bel does and seems like a better battler than her to be honest. It's a case of a newbie losing the league and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm not bothered since Bel has been portrayed as mostly as a joke character the whole series and never really has had an engaging battle in BW. I mean Shooti was totally owning Bel up until the Fling, concrete, and Stone Edge parts. Plus Bel's Emboar is the only super impressive thing she's got, like Shooti she, up until this point, has relied on that thing. It is even won her a filler league battle and she's using it again against Kotetsu. We see Kenyan and Kotetsu however using Zeburaika and Natorrei to win their respective first battles, Chevargo is nicely powered, but for all series rival Bel just doesn't have anything really super powerful. At least Kotetsu's Riolu is handling Emboar. Shooti relied mainly on Jalorda in battles and the same goes for Bel and her Emboar, so it's just a case of rookies making rookie mistakes.

Bel losing here is probably to set her on her road to becoming Araragi-Hakase's assistant if the writers are following the games and her giving up being a serious trainer. At the end of the day the writers were probably thinking it would be a great way to show Kotetsu's skill if he was able to catch and/or raise a Dragon and thought it would make an excellent league battle. You have to remember Riolu evolves by friendship and some Pokemon simply choose not to evolve and writers will not evolve Pokemon for marketing purposes and we've never seen Riolu in battle so we can't assume he's a weakling because of Riolu because Daikenki in itself is impressive.

Thinking about it from another POV, if it is a secret weapon. Maybe it's a SW with cost, like it being prone to rage fits despite being super powerful. Think of it like Satoshi's Lizardon.

Things are happening XD Everything seems so exciting, Kotetsu went up a few points on the badass meter with owning a Sanzandora.

At least Bel isn't going to be portrayed as nearly as pathetic as Jun was against Shinji.

Last edited:

^ Thank you, Got. Interesting perspective.

I'm pretty neutral on the situation myself. We don't know how long Kotty's had this thing and he IS a world traveler after all. Please not that it's his "secret weapon", implying he's been saving it up for a special occasion. Were people this upset everytime someone like Paul or Gary whipped out a new poke? And sure, he's an idiot...but so is everyone else in this series.

I'm a little upset about Bel, but I can't really say I'm surprised. Yes, she's the ONLY character to experience any growth and development in BW (who else wishes she'd been the female companion over Iris?), but the writers have never really been kind to her int he first darn place. And hey, if she's got to lose, I'm kinda happy it's to a worthy adversary like Riolu :)

Last edited:

Actually a poster on Sppf said something about the scan vaugely mentioning Hydreigon thrashing about or rampaging, it's not quite clear yet though....if it is true then the writers aren't trying anymore.

It became clear the writers aren't really trying in this League when Trip was given a 1v1 match followed by a redundant filler episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom