• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW108: Isshu League Conclusion! Pikachu VS Lucario!!

Where do I even begin to start about my major dissapointment. Never before had I any active greivances with the BW series as a whole, that is until now. Trip losing to Cilan in the Battle Club Tour, a bit dissapointed but got over it. Bianca beating Trip, also did not expect it but hilarious enough to let it slide. Iris getting Dragonite from outta the blue, did not bother me one bit. Trip winning the Junior Cup with flying colors bothered me a bit but not that much, until Ash pwned him in the first round of the league in which I became annoyed. Ash losing at the Top 8 again and to of all people Kotetsu no less is where I freakin draw the dang line here. And its easy to see why people watching this were so upset at the outcome here. First of all Cameron(Kotetsu) has the IQ of a potted plant and thats way more irrelevant to me for I am looking to why Cameron should have lost rather than beat Ash in a spectacular dominating finish. Cameron even only brought 5 pokemon into the battle, though considering he could if neccessary take a short intermission from the battle to bring in that Watchog(or another Pokemon) as his last Pokemon should Lucario had fallen during his match with Pikachu to rectify the problem on that part. Obviously he would have six pokemon on him even though he thought full battles were 5 on 5. All this aside, Cameron should have never gotten that Hydreigon in the first place, given his personality or at least it should not have obeyed him to a T, like Ash's Charizard used to do back in Kanto. Also Pikachu should have beat Lucario hands down evolved or not Lucarion shouldn't be strong enough to take down three Pokemon on its own, even if they were all fully unevolved. Lucario is just a backwater intermediate Pokemon with great power and speed who at most should have taken down 2 of Ash Pokemon. Now lets look at why this pisses me off personally. Cameron beats Ash but then only takes out half of Virgils team with Virgil using only five pokemon. Your telling me someone who throught his match with Ash dominated him while he himself became even more dominated afterwards by another. Mind you that same another probably struggled to win his final match against some who Ash even destroyed in the Club Battle tournament. Thats right Dino made it to the finals and yes the same pathetic trainer who had badass looks yet got destroyed by Ash in the previous tournaments. All the while Virgil may as well be as Powerful if not more Powerful than Tobias himself(yes the guy with the Darkrai and Latios who destroyed Ash in the Sinnoh League at the Top 4) yet Dino actually took Virgil to the limit. I bet if Ash had faced Virgil then Ash would have taken down at most three Pokemon of his, more likely two of them, then got murked. Not to mention If the Axew ep didnt take up one of the league episodes ,then we could have had a proper ending with Ash making it to the Top 4 beating Cameron and then losing to Virgil in a close call between Pikachu and Eevee. This could have at least happened if we at least gotten one more episode towards the league but no "7 episodes is too much to showcase the league, lets make it six episodes instead". Now Ash had to regress, your telling me this competition was much harder than the Sinnoh or Hoenn leagues Ash competed in prior, and your telling me Ash is having Trouble battling trainers whom Paul could easily thrash with his weakest mons. This League is an insult to all other prior leagues Ash was in prior and in insult to all his past rivals and in insult to Ash's progression as a trainer but then again this whole sereis is an insult to Ash's progression,and finally it is an Insult to all of those who had beaten Ash in the prior leagues, most notably the great Tobias. All in all such an abomination, only timewill tell if I get over this by the time I watch the dub version because If not, this is one league I will never re-watch ever again. My rant is now over. GOOD DAY TO ALL OF YOU SIRS AND MADAMS. <ENDRANT>

Last edited:
Satoshi getting to top 4 would've been even more BS.

I can't see why this is a legitimate argument.

Looking at the Sinnoh Grand Festival, why did Dawn make the finals?

Because there was no ONE better than the current participates that would've cost Dawn the GF even sooner. It was just Dawn, Zoey, and Nando, though I feel as if Dawn would've had a hell of a time against Nando.

And it applies here as well.

Who the hell could've been even remotely a challenge for Ash? That would've stopped in his tracks before it happened.

You can easily get to a really high place in the league, so as long as the actual decent competitors fight on the other side of the tournament while the lesser competitors fight in their own "branch" of the tournament team.

Isn't that what happened in the Sinnoh League? Looking at Tobias's final opponent, hardly seemed like a worthy competitor to reach the finals over Ash, but Tobias was paired against Ash sooner.

And so it shouldn't matter what Ash deserves to place, when it's about forced, convenient matchups.

I may agree that Ash didn't deserve to beat the league or get really high. And if they had played the match better then the B.S. that happened I say, maybe Kotetsu beating Ash would've been legitimate, but there are many B.S. reasons why Ash lost.

Granted I could say Ash deserved it for having Pignite and Pikachu do all the work and take the wins. Causing 4 of his Pokémon to be horribly screwed over.

But again it really doesn't matter what place Ash got or would've got. I think what matters is if we get decent equal match-ups. Which Ash vs Kotetsu wasn't. At least Tobias sweeping Ash's team with Darkrai and Latios was legitimate.

But Ash losing to someone who doesn't really pay attention and forgets things, and seeming lucks into winning only to lose to Virgil, I just almost wish that Ash was battling Virgil instead for Top 8. At least then we wouldn't have gotten a B.S. battle and potentially Ash's other Pokémon might have gotten wins.

Oh who am I kidding, Pikachu and Pignite still would've only gotten wins. Maybe one other Pokémon to pick up a 5th Pokémon.

I hate the league so much now, glad that it's gone. I'm knew this was gonna happen.

Satoshi getting to top 4 would've been even more BS.
But Ash losing to someone who doesn't really pay attention and forgets things, and seeming lucks into winning only to lose to Virgil, I just almost wish that Ash was battling Virgil instead for Top 8. At least then we wouldn't have gotten a B.S. battle and potentially Ash's other Pokémon might have gotten wins.

Oh who am I kidding, Pikachu and Pignite still would've only gotten wins. Maybe one other Pokémon to pick up a 5th Pokémon.
Why does that mean anything? To be honest, Kotetsu's Pokémon looked much stronger than Satoshi's, and not just because they're evolved. Sure, he's forgetful, but he does seem to be training his Pokémon right, which can't really be said about Satoshi. Do you honestly feel his Pokémon were much stronger than when he caught them? And again, I'm not talking about evolution. Tsutarja, for example, has the exact same moves as in the episode she was introduced in.

Satoshi's loss, to me, feels very legitimate. His Pokémon were weak and this time he didn't use any clever techniques to compensate for it. Why should he be considered any stronger than Kotetsu or Virgil?

Kotetsu was a Mary sue. Don't forget we had to watch him beat Marlon and Bianca before Ash too...almost as if the writers wanted to show him better than everyone else before he even battled Ash.

Kotetsu was a Mary sue. Don't forget we had to watch him beat Marlon and Bianca before Ash too...almost as if the writers wanted to show him better than everyone else before he even battled Ash.
So he's a Mary Sue because, despite being a scatterbrain outside of battle, he was actually shown to have battling skills (backed up by having earned 7 Badges before we knew him) and beating two important characters, one of whom was a minor character was not exactly known for her skills? Yeah, okay.

If Camoron is a mary sue then I dont even know the proper term to describe the by comparison demigod trainers May, paul,solidad,zoey, tobias, gary etc.

That's really sad how Ash managed to regress in rank...granted it makes sense with how he's been this saga in terms of raising his Pokemon, but what a disappointment. :bash:

The Unova League is by far the worst of BW to me so far. Episode N, it's all up to you, redeem BW. Or not. :sweatlol:

Just curious, did Ash actually say anything about his Top 8 rank? Did ANYONE on-screen say Ash came in Top 8?

I'm just curious if the writers mentioned it.

What was the exact line, I'm am very curious.
Well the convenient English of 'best eight' is why I'm sure he said that. After it he said something like, Pikachu and everyone did really well but Lucario/Cameron and Virgil tried even harder - then they saw the sunrise, played the montage and moved on saying they'll keep trying.

Of course that's just me attempting to piece together the words I did recognise from what he said, so not sure how helpful that is.

After being mad for weeks, I have calmed down, I HAVE CALMED DOWN! Do you believe me?

Seriously, after knowing that he lost the league weeks before its aired, I am absolute passive to the episode, and seriously, I am expecting that the Episode N will be good, or I'll actually get to cross out another series of anime from my favourite list. First Johto, now Unova, I am actually considering to add Johto into my favourite list after how bad Unova is. Lets just wait for Episode N.... I am waiting patiently... PATIENTLY!!!! Do you hear me?

Re-watching the match: Pikachu launching those repeated Quick Attacks was pretty awesome especially after the first one it did that spin to come back around for hit #2. Its just that I hate that it landed so many not very effective moves on a Steel-type but only got called by Ash to use ONE Thunderbolt, mind you I think that was the best animated Thunderbolt from Pikachu of the Unova Saga because like Paul's Aggron it had a electric shock that caused lasting damage (explosion like impact) rather than a zap and that's it.

The thing that really got me was the final moves, usually the attack explode but this time Electro Ball is overpowered. Wow, I mean against Excadrill it was able to go toe to toe with Focus Blast which is stronger than Aura Sphere but here it is knocked aside (after a long back and forth) Sp. Attack is higher for Lucario than for Excadrill but since the anime really doesn't use those kinds of stats it just ridiculous that Pikachu would get blasted like that geez...

I know it was only because of Thundrus' attack that powered Pikachu but after seeing a "Spirit Bomb" Electro Ball seeing Pikachu's attack get over powered is a bit over kill especially since they replaced Volt Tackle you know?

Really makes Ash need to reconsider evolving Pikachu, haha Raichu would have won no doubt...

Ash vs Kotetsu was supposed to be 6 on 6. However, Kotetsu only brought five. Regardless of the battle - that should've been a rightful reason to be disqualified. But they didn't do that.

They could've made it that Kotetsu brought 6 pokemons but won using only five, making him a powerful boy. That wasn't even funny or stupid. Just...so unnecessary.

Ash said it himself.

What was the exact line, I'm am very curious.
"Best 8, huh? Pikachu and everyone did their best. But Lucario and Kotetsu were strong, and Virgil was even stronger. A lot has happened since we got here, huh?" [pointless clipshow]
That's my lame translation. It's not 100% accurate, but you get the idea.

"Best 8, huh? Pikachu and everyone did their best. But Lucario and Kotetsu were strong, and Virgil was even stronger. A lot has happened since we got here, huh?" [pointless clipshow]

Yes Satoshi, a lot of losing has happened since you got there, huh?

Ok, I suppose I should give credit where credit is due... the Pikachu vs. Lucario battle was nicely animated. If Kotetsu had brought six Pokemon with him and the other five were knocked out then I imagine I'd have been a lot more forgiving.

Still, at least the show has been consistent is how bad Satoshi is... I wouldn't have expected the kid we've been watching Best Wishes to have gotten this far. I'm telling you, BW Satoshi would have been lucky to get past Naoshi in the Sinnoh League.

BW indirectly makes America look bad since Unova is supposed to be America.

Silly offtopic posts like the one above my own post will be infracted for Pointless Post. Stick to BW108 please guys.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom